post #13321 of 18282 Old 11-24-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

What's the best place to sell my region free Oppo 103? EBay seems risky with an item priced this high.

Just buy a regular one. Load the special CD and make it region free DVD in seconds. If you want BD region free then spend 50 bucks on the external gizmo that takes seconds to install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13322 of 18282 Old 11-24-2013, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

What's the best place to sell my region free Oppo 103? EBay seems risky with an item priced this high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Just buy a regular one. Load the special CD and make it region free DVD in seconds. If you want BD region free then spend 50 bucks on the external gizmo that takes seconds to install.

Not really answering his/her question about where to sell. But I don't know either :/

post #13323 of 18282 Old 11-25-2013, 12:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:

I used information from E-Bay to set the price, and did an adv here at AVS to sell an OPPO 83.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13324 of 18282 Old 11-25-2013, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post

And I hope they don't stop at filesystem-based gapless either. Good DLNA SetNextAVTransportURI support would be nice to have sometime.

Bravo !!

This is my favourite "high horse" topic. Every consumer needs to whack their device manufacture over the head with wet fish until they are finally persuaded implement this method... wink.gif
cheld likes this.
post #13325 of 18282 Old 11-25-2013, 02:48 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:

Typical places besides eBay are here at AVS, the AUDIOGON site (good for reaching folks looking for higher end gear), and also the used marketplace at Amazon.

Lots of folks use eBay of course, so I'm not sure why you think it is particularly risky (compared to any way of doing a transaction with a person you don't know).
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #13326 of 18282 Old 11-25-2013, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I have bought/sold components on audiogon for almost 10 years and had good experiences.

The buyers are more savvy and reliable than ebay and the selling costs are much less at audiogon.

Haven't used avs so can't comment.

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

"All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."

post #13327 of 18282 Old 11-25-2013, 07:07 AM

Liked: 23

This unofficial bdp-103 FAQ recommends setting color space at 4:4:4. It says because the Auto setting does this anyways.http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html#what-are-the-recommended-settings-for-the-oppo-bdp-103

If Blu-ray is encoded at 4:2:0, why does it make sense to use a wider color space? Does the Oppo color space setting actually do much or is it mostly theoretical? Is any content out there even available in 4:4:4?

post #13328 of 18282 Old 11-25-2013, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

what should the deep color setting be?,,,i have it on 36bit but what does it actually do?
post #13329 of 18282 Old 11-25-2013, 07:27 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by pqwk50 View Post

This unofficial bdp-103 FAQ recommends setting color space at 4:4:4. It says because the Auto setting does this anyways.http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html#what-are-the-recommended-settings-for-the-oppo-bdp-103

If Blu-ray is encoded at 4:2:0, why does it make sense to use a wider color space? Does the Oppo color space setting actually do much or is it mostly theoretical? Is any content out there even available in 4:4:4?

All Blu-rays and DVD are encoded using 4:2:0, an ancient lossy compression technique.

This is a storage format not meant for transmission and HDMI 1.x doesn't even carry it, although HDMI 2.0 will. (I'm not sure who on the committee wanted that or why, or when players, AVRs and displays will accept it).

The 4:2:0 must be fully chroma upsampled before it can be displayed: every pixel must have a color, not just every fourth one. 4:4:4 is the upsampled result. Inside the display it will be converted to RGB for the electronics.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling for some diagrams and more detail.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #13330 of 18282 Old 11-25-2013, 07:29 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIIKE888 View Post

Hi

what should the deep color setting be?,,,i have it on 36bit but what does it actually do?

It does next to nothing. "Off" is a good value. Even people who use will tell you it depends on the rest of your gear.

If you have test patterns that show a perceptible improvement then you will have found a good value for your setup.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #13331 of 18282 Old 11-25-2013, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ My recommendation would be that you be patient for a while longer, rather than converting your FLAC files yet.

Or if you want to experiment now, just convert a few albums to WAV to play around with.

The choice of WAV was just to keep things simple while the engineers were sorting through the difficulties of getting Gapless to work at all.

OPPO is fully aware that people also want FLAC file support for this.
--Bob

OK, I understand - I try to be patient but, well, you know. And I guess the comment in the release notes "This feature is still under development and may be improved in the next firmware releases" doesn't sound too promising for anything in the near future.

Maybe I will try the WAVs as you said. I'm curious as to how well the Gracenote feature will work. Maybe I don't care about the embedded metadata if it works well enough.

Thanks Bob,

- Mark
post #13332 of 18282 Old 11-25-2013, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
what are people's feedback on the new Beta Firmware that came out last week?
post #13333 of 18282 Old 11-25-2013, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqwk50 View Post

All Blu-rays and DVD are encoded using 4:2:0, an ancient lossy compression technique.

This is a storage format not meant for transmission and HDMI 1.x doesn't even carry it, although HDMI 2.0 will. (I'm not sure who on the committee wanted that or why, or when players, AVRs and displays will accept it).

The 4:2:0 must be fully chroma upsampled before it can be displayed: every pixel must have a color, not just every fourth one. 4:4:4 is the upsampled result. Inside the display it will be converted to RGB for the electronics.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling for some diagrams and more detail.

-Bill

Bill,

At great risk of showing my ignorance of things video, does this (highlighted section in your response) mean there would be less conversion happening, or required, if the Oppo was set to output RGB in the first place?

Thanks,

Paul
post #13334 of 18282 Old 11-25-2013, 11:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul54 View Post

Bill,

At great risk of showing my ignorance of things video, does this (highlighted section in your response) mean there would be less conversion happening, or required, if the Oppo was set to output RGB in the first place?

Thanks,

Paul

Sadly, no. At least there is no sure way to know that. The display may convert incoming RGB to YCbCr to do it's own default manipulations, then back to RGB again.

That said, I do use RGB Video output from the player because at one time I thought my display became confused in some respects and handled YCbCr incorrectly. But I have not revisited that for a long time.

Spear & Munsil have an article on choosing a color space on their web site. They shown how to run tests using their calibration patterns.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #13335 of 18282 Old 11-25-2013, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul54 View Post

Bill,

Thanks,

Paul

Sadly, no. At least there is no sure way to know that. The display may convert incoming RGB to YCbCr to do it's own default manipulations, then back to RGB again.

That said, I do use RGB Video output from the player because at one time I thought my display became confused in some respects and handled YCbCr incorrectly. But I have not revisited that for a long time.

Spear & Munsil have an article on choosing a color space on their web site. They shown how to run tests using their calibration patterns.

-Bill

Thanks. I'll check out their site. I recently got their calibration disk but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Paul
post #13336 of 18282 Old 11-25-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

what are people's feedback on the new Beta Firmware that came out last week?

Mucho problems with oShare getting frozen that I didn't have on the last beta firmware. I have to turn off the player and restart it, or else the screen gets stuck on the top line showing the folder on my PC and won't respond to any keys except POWER.

BTW, I had a lot of trouble getting oShare to run until I figured out that it has to go in a folder under C:\Program Files (x86) on my Windows 7 PC. I"d tried it in other locations and could never bring up the oShare window to add any folders.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #13337 of 18282 Old 11-25-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post

Not really answering his/her question about where to sell. But I don't know either :/

Whoops - my bad !!

How about avsforum classified? Also, Amazon.com. I've sold a good selection of used or like new A/V equipment. The only downside is, Amazon takes longer to process the transaction and give you your money.
post #13338 of 18282 Old 11-26-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Good news...

Firmware version BDP10XEU-67-1120B for the European players is now available from the UK web site: http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/customer-services/firmware-updates/bdp-103eu-105eu-beta-firmware.aspx

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
post #13339 of 18282 Old 11-26-2013, 09:21 AM

Is there a way (and if there is, what is it) to stop Blu-rays / DVDs from automatically loading when you power on the player?
post #13340 of 18282 Old 11-26-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrayb View Post

Is there a way (and if there is, what is it) to stop Blu-rays / DVDs from automatically loading when you power on the player?

Setup Menu - Playback Setup - Auto Play Mode - OFF

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #13341 of 18282 Old 11-26-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone here tested PGS subtitles in .MKV?

For me, PGS subtitles are visible when the .MKV file is accessed via SMB. But they are not visible when accessed via UPnP.

Can anybody else confirm?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
post #13342 of 18282 Old 11-26-2013, 09:43 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

For me, PGS subtitles are visible when the .MKV file is accessed via SMB. But they are not visible when accessed via UPnP.

Cannot answer your exact question, but I can tell you that PGS subtitles now work for an HDD connected via USB, when they didn't before.
post #13343 of 18282 Old 11-26-2013, 09:53 AM

Guys, what's the difference between DVD-Audio & DVD-Video for this setting: Playback Setup > DVD-Audio Mode

Which setting should I choose?

post #13344 of 18282 Old 11-26-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

When you have the 'DVD-Audio' mode set to 'DVD-Audio', the DVD-A disc's MLP audio stream will be selected by default. By contrast, if you have the 'DVD-Audio' mode set to 'DVD-Video', the DVD-A disc's Dolby Digital audio stream will be selected by default.

Cheers

post #13345 of 18282 Old 11-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 865
^ Some DVD-Audio discs include an SD-DVD layer as well. Lower quality audio but with video (could be anything). The setting is for which layer plays by default if both are present. DVD-Audio is the normal choice.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #13346 of 18282 Old 11-26-2013, 10:55 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

You're right. The subtitles are not displaying with miniDLNA, although the tracks and language tags show in the popup menu. VOBSUB is ok and PGS works over SMB.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #13347 of 18282 Old 11-26-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Some DVD-Audio discs include an SD-DVD layer as well. Lower quality audio but with video (could be anything). The setting is for which layer plays by default if both are present. DVD-Audio is the normal choice.
--Bob

Ah. So the setting really only applies when both are present. Thanks.

post #13348 of 18282 Old 11-26-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Setup Menu - Playback Setup - Auto Play Mode - OFF

Thanks Mongo.
post #13349 of 18282 Old 11-26-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're right. The subtitles are not displaying with miniDLNA, although the tracks and language tags show in the popup menu. VOBSUB is ok and PGS works over SMB.

-Bill

I'm using serviio DLNA and at least on the 103D, subtitles seem to be working fine with MKVs. I'm assuming the MKV has PGS embedded subtitles ?
post #13350 of 18282 Old 11-26-2013, 11:53 AM

Liked: 16
Am I the only one who hates the stupid volume display that now comes up on start-up? I asked Oppo if they could add it as an option to show/hide and their response was
Quote:
If we made it an option then people, who may be the most affected, can hide it, making the point of this indicator moot.
A find that response a bit condescending if you ask me, but that's just me. What do you all think? I was thinking of creating a poll for this? Is it worth doing that?

Don't most 103 users use digital output where the 105 users are more likely to use the analog? I don't want to assume anything here but I am curious since the volume only affects the analog outputs.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page