Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 448 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13411 of 18478 Old 11-29-2013, 05:19 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 880
^ DSD to PCM conversion on the way to the DACs is the "normal" way to use the player, and allows access to all of its audio processing features -- such as speaker distance adjustment and Crossover processing. It is not downsampling. the result is LPCM 88.2KHz 24-bit. (The bit rate numbers you see for DSD only look higher because they count single-bit samples instead of 24-bit samples.)

DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion *IS* available if you prefer to use that, but using that bypasses any audio processing in the player. So you would need to do things like speaker distance adjustment or Crossover processing external to the player. Be aware that most hardware does such processing in LPCM, so the Analog audio from the OPPO would have to be re-digitized to enable that -- in which case you may very well just want to use the normal DSD to PCM path in the OPPO anyway.

HDMI to the AVR will carry either LPCM or Bitstream audio as you choose. If LPCM, then of course there's no conversion to LPCM in the AVR. If Bitstream, then the AVR has to decode to LPCM -- a necessary step before you can hear Bitstream audio on your speakers. If your AVR accepts HDMI DSD, then the OPPO can output that as well when playing DSD content. Please note that most AVRs simply convert HDMI DSD to LPCM anyway as the first step upon input, because, like every other device, they need digital audio in LPCM before it can be "processed".

By the way, the Manuals for the 103, the 105 and the new 103D (with Darbee) are all available for download from the OPPO Digital web site, and will answer a lot of questions like this.

In addition, if you would look at the top of the first post in the 103 or 105's Owner's Thread you will find links to the FAQ which is also a resource you should use for basic questions.

You should know the odds are good the AVS Mods will merge the posts in this new thread of yours into the 103 Owner's Thread real soon now. AVS asks that player specific questions go in the main player thread instead of everyone creating new threads for each question.

ETA: And just like that, the mods moved these posts while I was posting that! :biggrin.gif
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13412 of 18478 Old 11-30-2013, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I get a login error when trying to access my Synology NAS from the Media Control app. The 103 has no problem logging in. Anybody else having this problem?
post #13413 of 18478 Old 11-30-2013, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic_D View Post

I get a login error when trying to access my Synology NAS from the Media Control app. The 103 has no problem logging in. Anybody else having this problem?

I had this issue as well. Since I tend to use both complex and strong passwords it might have been behind this as the Oppo might be having problems with special characters, passwords with more than 16 characters etc.

So, I just created another user oppo with the same password for SMB access, it works flawlessly.

There is nothing in the desert and no man needs nothing.
post #13414 of 18478 Old 11-30-2013, 10:18 AM

Liked: 24
Can I force sub titles off ??

I have a German edition of Cloud Atlas blu-ray. This disc's top menu has an audio language choice of English and German, and it also has a choice for sub titles on or off. But unfortunately when I select English audio, it always shows the German sub titles regardless of whether I select sub titles off in the top menu. So my question is if there is some way in the in the Oppo where I can force kill the sub titles, and override the disc's stubborn insistence to show them?
post #13415 of 18478 Old 11-30-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Some non-U.S. foreign movie discs have subtitles burned into the movie and they can't be defeated. This may be one of those. The subtitles would be selected from the disc menu so if the can't be turned off, they may not be defeatable. Try using the Subtitle button on the Oppo remote and see if this allows any changes. If it doesn't, you're probably out of luck.

post #13416 of 18478 Old 11-30-2013, 10:49 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by em0ti0n View Post

I had this issue as well. Since I tend to use both complex and strong passwords it might have been behind this as the Oppo might be having problems with special characters, passwords with more than 16 characters etc.

So, I just created another user oppo with the same password for SMB access, it works flawlessly.
I tried a user with a simpler password and it worked the first time, but fails every time after. Hmph. Everything seems to work with my PC over SMB, so the problem is just between the app and my NAS.
post #13417 of 18478 Old 11-30-2013, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a layer change question for BPD-103 owners. While watching Star Trek: Into Darkness on my BDP-83, I noticed (for the second time in a newer movie) the layer change. There was a brief pause... less than 1 second. It was repeatable and always occurred at the same spot. It's something that I am sensitive to. I've not noticed it in Blu-ray's until very recently. This is the second title I noticed it on (I can't remember the first, but I had hoped it was that disc and not something I'd see on other discs). In both cases, the discs are full retail versions I purchased, not rentals, and free of any visible defects.

Has anyone else noticed slower layer changes on the BDP-103? I'm wondering if it's a result of more complex copy protection and a (comparatively) slower processor in the BDP-83. I'd love to read anyone's input, theories, or if they are even experiencing this problem. If the BDP-103 isn't experiencing this, it may be time for an upgrade.

I held off on the BDP-103 because there was a time where the QDEO video processing was not able to be disabled entirely (apparently, it was always on but users could control the "level" of processing). Was that ever corrected via firmware?

- Garrett
post #13418 of 18478 Old 11-30-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit View Post

I have a layer change question for BPD-103 owners. While watching Star Trek: Into Darkness on my BDP-83, I noticed (for the second time in a newer movie) the layer change. There was a brief pause... less than 1 second. It was repeatable and always occurred at the same spot. It's something that I am sensitive to. I've not noticed it in Blu-ray's until very recently. This is the second title I noticed it on (I can't remember the first, but I had hoped it was that disc and not something I'd see on other discs). In both cases, the discs are full retail versions I purchased, not rentals, and free of any visible defects.
I have this Blu-ray disc... Approximately what time are you seeing the layer change, so I can check it?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
post #13419 of 18478 Old 11-30-2013, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi Guys!

i have seen that the 23.976 frame rate change is a little bit buggy…….tried 5 movies today and 3-4 times out go 10 it doesn't change to the right framerate it stutters as hell.

and the subtitle PGS is also a little bit buggy its there from the beginning and then it can disappear and then it comes back.

well well at least it works most of the times!wink.gif……hope OPPO is keeping an eye on this i know its a beta release.
post #13420 of 18478 Old 11-30-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIIKE888 View Post

Hi Guys!

i have seen that the 23.976 frame rate change is a little bit buggy…….tried 5 movies today and 3-4 times out go 10 it doesn't change to the right framerate it stutters as hell.

and the subtitle PGS is also a little bit buggy its there from the beginning and then it can disappear and then it comes back.

well well at least it works most of the times!wink.gif……hope OPPO is keeping an eye on this i know its a beta release.
It helps if you report your experiences directly to Oppo.

post #13421 of 18478 Old 11-30-2013, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for that. I should have noted the time, and I didn't. I'll try to dig it up tonight post it then. I think it was around the time they had John Harrison just coming on board.
post #13422 of 18478 Old 11-30-2013, 04:42 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIIKE888 View Post

Hi Guys!

Get sample files to OPPO Tech Support so they can see what you are seeing.
--Bob

post #13423 of 18478 Old 11-30-2013, 09:09 PM

I think I found a problem with the OPPO and XBox One.

Tell me if any of you have seen this.

I have the XBox One plugged into the HDMI in back on the OPPO.

Everything works fine connected to my Seiki 50" 4K TV on the HDMI1 Out.

On the HDMI2 Out I have it plugged into my Marantz nr1603 for sound processing.

I have an Optoma Projector connected to the HDMI Monitor/Out on the Marantz.

As soon as I turn on the projector and it syncs up, I see the image and the sound is still fine, but the images stutters, like maybe a frame a second.

The XBox One interface is similarly laggy in response, so I'm guessing it's affecting the XBox One somehow???

I'll contact XBox One, OPPO and Marantz to see what they think, but that will probably take forever.

Any ideas?
post #13424 of 18478 Old 12-01-2013, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 65

Hi, new here...

Im just about to pull the trigger on the 103. Couple of questions....

I have to use the analog 7.1 outputs to my AVR (HK-245).... HDMI's are not active... By using the analogs, should I assume I will need to reconfigure the surround speakers via the oppo, or will the configuration from the AVR done with the michrophone still work?

Also, I have a seperate AVR,external amp and speakers for music listening only. Currently I use a seperate CD player for it.

Will I be able to use the digital audio coax to this AVR for music input and use the analog 7.1 to the other AVR for blu ray/dvd watching? Im wanting to replace 2 players with the oppo bdp-103 using 2 different outputs to 2 different AVR's. Im thinking it will work, but also wondering if using the digital coax output for music listening if sound quality will be lost....

Sorry for the long post...

John

my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

post #13425 of 18478 Old 12-01-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnymoZ View Post

Hi, new here...

Im just about to pull the trigger on the 103. Couple of questions....

I have to use the analog 7.1 outputs to my AVR (HK-245).... HDMI's are not active... By using the analogs, should I assume I will need to reconfigure the surround speakers via the oppo, or will the configuration from the AVR done with the michrophone still work?

None of the AVRs EQ or setup or bass management will function on the multi-channel inputs.
Quote:
Also, I have a seperate AVR,external amp and speakers for music listening only. Currently I use a seperate CD player for it.

Will I be able to use the digital audio coax to this AVR for music input and use the analog 7.1 to the other AVR for blu ray/dvd watching? Im wanting to replace 2 players with the oppo bdp-103 using 2 different outputs to 2 different AVR's. Im thinking it will work, but also wondering if using the digital coax output for music listening if sound quality will be lost....

All player outputs are active all the time, so yes. There's no quality "lost" by using the spdif output from the player, but you should try different setups and see what you like the best. Note: spdif outs cannot be used for SACD or DVD-A, this is a licensing restriction.
post #13426 of 18478 Old 12-01-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 93
^^
From p. 34 of your manual, it looks like there is no bass management (no crossover, no delay) applied when you are using 6 or 8-channel direct (analog) inputs, but it's not clear whether the levels of the different speakers retain the settings you have obtained with the microphone automatic setup procedure.

Concerning your last questions, all of the audio outputs from the 103 are always simultaneously active. All of the digital outputs will produce the same results from CDs, but hi-resolution soundtracks from BluRays or SACD/DVD-Audio discs get downsampled to CD-quality over digital coax. The question of whether you'll get better sound quality on CDs through the Oppo's analog outputs versus a digital coax output will depend in part on whether your AVR or the Oppo has the better DAC. Hard to say... Try it both ways and see if you notice a difference.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #13427 of 18478 Old 12-01-2013, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 65

Thank you kindly for the replies.  I know its fairy obvious that I havent upgraded my set up in a while. My HK-245 has a 10/2008 build date, hence inactive HDMI ports.... my TV is a 50" SONY Grand Wega LCD.... input is DVI I use a HDMI/DVI adapter for video...I know, I know....its embarrasing....however, the usage hours are so low on the TV, that its really  hard to just "dump" it for a new TV. Its a hard pill to swallow paying over $3,000. for a TV (when it was all the rage), to now not even being able to sell it for a couple of hundred bucks!! uuuggg!!!

At any rate, the TV is 1080i capable, so I should be able to see improvement through the Oppo over the Samsung I use now....which wont play all the blu rays I put in it for whatever reason??? Seems blu ray recordings by Universal wont play at all....

As far as my audio system....same thing....it needs updating!! Im using a SONY DVP-NS 75H.....its got a few years on it!! Again, I know the Oppo will be an improvement over my old technology!!

Thanks again for answering my seemingly "dumb" questions. Im off to order my Oppo BDP-103....

my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

post #13428 of 18478 Old 12-01-2013, 12:58 PM

Liked: 11
Using the latest firmware (BDP10X-67-1120B) I can no longer see JRiver MC18 as a DLNA server.

The PGS subs in MKVs do not work when content is pushed to the Oppo using a Media Controller frown.gif

I'm trying to see if PGS subs work when pulling via DLNA, but as of now JRiver is no longer visible (interesting Windows Media Player is, but it won't support MKVs by default and I'd rather not use it anyway)

Going to try PS3 Media Server to see if it at least shows up so I can narrow this down to JRiver.

CONFIRMED: PS3 Media Server works fine and PGS subs over DLNA in MKV files work.

Again - bummer that as a DMR, PGS subs do not work...
post #13429 of 18478 Old 12-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yeah, the inability to see J River as a DLNA server in the 1120B Public Beta firmware has been reported. OPPO is checking into it.
--Bob

post #13430 of 18478 Old 12-01-2013, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_t View Post

Using the latest firmware (BDP10X-67-1120B) I can no longer see JRiver MC18 as a DLNA server.

The PGS subs in MKVs do not work when content is pushed to the Oppo using a Media Controller frown.gif

I'm trying to see if PGS subs work when pulling via DLNA, but as of now JRiver is no longer visible (interesting Windows Media Player is, but it won't support MKVs by default and I'd rather not use it anyway)

Going to try PS3 Media Server to see if it at least shows up so I can narrow this down to JRiver.

CONFIRMED: PS3 Media Server works fine and PGS subs over DLNA in MKV files work.

Again - bummer that as a DMR, PGS subs do not work...

This is because the PS3 Media Server software is doing the encoding or transcoding the file, subtitles included, correct? Isn't the goal for the Oppo to do the processing, not PS3 Media Server? Or does that not matter, quality wise?

AVR - Emotiva UMC-200 + UPA-700 / Sources - PS3/Xbox360
Fronts - Klipsch KF-28 / Center - Klipsch RC-62
Sides - Klipsch VS-14 / Rears - Klipsch VS-14
Sub1 - SVS PB12-NSD / Sub2 - SVS PB12-NSD
PRJ - Mitsubishi HC5 / SCN - 120" ES cinewhite
post #13431 of 18478 Old 12-01-2013, 06:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespace303 View Post

This is because the PS3 Media Server software is doing the encoding or transcoding the file, subtitles included, correct? Isn't the goal for the Oppo to do the processing, not PS3 Media Server? Or does that not matter, quality wise?

Nope. I confirmed via logs (and also settings) that no transcoding takes place for MKV files.

No - seems consistent that when I browse using the Oppo and then start playback PGS subs work. When using a media controller, it just doesn't work (yet; oppo wrote back (on a Sunday no less!) that it may be added in the future).

PS3 Media Server makes an already poor Oppo UI experience even worse.

For now, I'll continue to use JRiver/JRemote (iOS)/Gizmo (Andriod) and keep fingers crossed the subs eventually work via this method

The chapter forward issue can be worked around two ways -- either first play a file using Oppo UI and skipping a chapter (subsequently all chapter skips work) or just using the Goto button.
post #13432 of 18478 Old 12-01-2013, 11:00 PM

Before I contact Oppo,the question is this.I forgot my 103 on for 2 days and when I went to shut down the unit,nothing on the remote ( with new batteries)worked, but the "Open" button and the screen said "Oppo Blu-ray" plus their insignia on my Panny screen.I must hold "On" switch on 103 to turn off or on…..OR UNPLUG IT,when nothing else works.Even then, when unit turns back on I'm back at "Oppo Blu-ray"screen….unit seems BRICKED or STUCK ? Had this 103 since 1/13,1st problem,never did a "firmware update" thought all was good till today.Could have my 103 "OD'D" locked up and DIED:eek: And yes I replaced all my HDMI cables new:) Thank you for any direction/help.
post #13433 of 18478 Old 12-02-2013, 12:11 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricker62 View Post

Before I contact Oppo,the question is this.I forgot my 103 on for 2 days and when I went to shut down the unit,nothing on the remote ( with new batteries)worked, but the "Open" button and the screen said "Oppo Blu-ray" plus their insignia on my Panny screen.I must hold "On" switch on 103 to turn off or on…..OR UNPLUG IT,when nothing else works.Even then, when unit turns back on I'm back at "Oppo Blu-ray"screen….unit seems BRICKED or STUCK ? Had this 103 since 1/13,1st problem,never did a "firmware update" thought all was good till today.Could have my 103 "OD'D" locked up and DIED:eek: And yes I replaced all my HDMI cables new:) Thank you for any direction/help.

This sounds almost exactly like what happened to me - though I didn't leave mine on for 2 days. Unfortunately, I had to return it and had it replaced as it was still under warranty. This was back on either the original firmware or one released soon after (i.e. Dec 2012).

Ricker62 likes this.
post #13434 of 18478 Old 12-02-2013, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricker62 View Post

Here is some basic troubleshooting
Disconnect all cables from the player, including the HDMI, analog, and power cables. If your player was hardware modified to support alternative regions, please try removing this kit and returning the player to stock.

Press and hold the POWER button on the front panel of the player for 5 seconds. Release.

Reconnect just the power cable, connecting it direct toy our walled power outlet, bypassing any switch, power conditioner or transformer.

Press POWER.

Does the POWER LED go BLUE and the player shows HELLO, then OPPO then HOME MENU on the front panel of the player?

If this does not work, then the player will need to be repaired.
Ricker62 likes this.
post #13435 of 18478 Old 12-02-2013, 02:08 AM

THANK YOU,Neuromancer,and all the others for replying .I tried all that was suggested,ALAS I'm S O L ….Lol tongue.gif time to contact Oppo C/S when I awake:eek: …I love this thread:D
post #13436 of 18478 Old 12-02-2013, 04:26 AM

Just a quick update in the interests of completeness. I finally had the time to dig out the HDMI cable attached between the Oppo and the Yamaha and the cable was 12'. I had a 6' cable on hand and luckily it was long enough....but just barely. The blanking has reduced significantly although I still get an occasional blank. Typically early when I start watching but sometimes later. But nowhere near the previous level.

This is an older 6' cable and I'll pursue looking for newer 6' cable as described by the responses.

Thank you!
post #13437 of 18478 Old 12-02-2013, 09:47 AM

I have a couple of questions I've looked for the answer to and not absolutely found:

1) I have a Dish receiver connected to a Marantz 6007 then to the Panny Plasma. Would I get advantages by running the Dish signal through the Oppo BDP-103 (and then to the Marantz/Panny)?

2) Near as I can tell there is no way to stream 3D Blu Ray .iso files through a wired network using the BDP-103. Is that also true for 2D Blu Ray .iso(s)? Will 3D .mkv(s) work?

thanks for any help.
post #13438 of 18478 Old 12-02-2013, 12:06 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchomigo View Post

I have a couple of questions I've looked for the answer to and not absolutely found:

1) I have a Dish receiver connected to a Marantz 6007 then to the Panny Plasma. Would I get advantages by running the Dish signal through the Oppo BDP-103 (and then to the Marantz/Panny)?

2) Near as I can tell there is no way to stream 3D Blu Ray .iso files through a wired network using the BDP-103. Is that also true for 2D Blu Ray .iso(s)? Will 3D .mkv(s) work?

thanks for any help.

I can not speak specifically to your set up, but I can tell you that one of the reasons I went with the 103 was to take advantage of the video processor to upscale a 1080i video signal from a TW DVR to 1080p out to my Panny ZT60. There is a noticeable improvement to PQ, and that was my goal.

post #13439 of 18478 Old 12-02-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogHairs View Post

I can not speak specifically to your set up, but I can tell you that one of the reasons I went with the 103 was to take advantage of the video processor to upscale a 1080i video signal from a TW DVR to 1080p out to my Panny ZT60. There is a noticeable improvement to PQ, and that was my goal.

Interesting viewpoint. I have noticed that Netflix from the Oppo is superior to Netflix via the TV app; and assumed it was do to the upscaling as well. I may have to shift the DVR HDMI output to the Oppo to test further - thanks.
post #13440 of 18478 Old 12-02-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchomigo View Post

Interesting viewpoint. I have noticed that Netflix from the Oppo is superior to Netflix via the TV app; and assumed it was do to the upscaling as well. I may have to shift the DVR HDMI output to the Oppo to test further - thanks.
Be sure to set the DVR to output "native" to feed the Oppo, if possible. You want to feed 720p source as 720p to the Oppo and let it upconvert to 1080p. Same with 1080i source as 1080i into the Oppo. You do not want to have the DVR do any conversion itself of 720p to 1080i or 1080p, feeding that upconverted 1080i/1080p to the Oppo. You want the original untouched 720p or 1080i going to the Oppo just as it is.

Ideally, a "native" setting if available does this automatically and is obviously the ideal arrangement if possible.

Otherwise, if "native" is not available, you still want to have things work this way (i.e. feeding the Oppo untouched 720p and 1080i source) even if you have to intervene manually to change the output resolution of your DVR to reflect the original source program resolution when you tune the DVR to a channel that's 720p or 1080i. Obviously having to do it manually is a pain, but if you want to see OPTIMAL VISUAL RESULTS you really do want to eliminate all devices but the Oppo in the upconversion-to-1080p process.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Se50uy04 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page