Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 460 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 299Likes

post #13771 of 19509 Old 12-20-2013, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Question in regards to DNLA - a function I have never really used before. I am looking to rip my cd collection and dvd collection to digital as we don't have the space anymore to store. I want to use my new Seagate Central hub http://www.seagate.com/external-hard-drives/network-storage/ to store the files. I intend to use my Mac to complete the process. 

Does anyone know if the Oppo-103 and this Seagate Central communicate properly using DLNA? Is it easy to locate the files and start playing them quickly? Is there a particular file format I should convert to or an IOS conversion software recommended for use? Thank you. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13772 of 19509 Old 12-20-2013, 06:11 PM

Liked: 11
Dec 5th firmware update, any new problems after the download?

I updated the firmware on the 6th and now my dvd's freeze. I did the update via internet. After the freezing, I downloaded the update from Oppo's site via usb and reinstalled it in the Oppo. I also did a factory reset and left it at that while trying to figure this out. Dvd's still freeze (no freezing with blu-rays). I then took the cover off the BDP 103 and cleaned both lasers with a q-tip and 91% isopropyl alcohol. No change, dvd's still freeze.

Watching a movie, it will freeze. Pause, stop, FF, FR, play non work. I can hear the motor running. It takes about one minute for the power to turn off after pushing the power button. Restart the dvd, it will freeze at some other part of the movie. Last movie I watched, froze 6 times in different places. No scratches on the disc, and I clean them before playing. Have not had any problems with these discs before. Only happens with dvd's. Happens with all my dvd's now.

Think it's just coincidence that the dvd laser is having problems and not related to the update?
Anyone else having freezing problems after the update?

Have a great day!
post #13773 of 19509 Old 12-20-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfc_2002 View Post

Dec 5th firmware update, any new problems after the download?

I updated the firmware on the 6th and now my dvd's freeze. I did the update via internet. After the freezing, I downloaded the update from Oppo's site via usb and reinstalled it in the Oppo. I also did a factory reset and left it at that while trying to figure this out. Dvd's still freeze (no freezing with blu-rays). I then took the cover off the BDP 103 and cleaned both lasers with a q-tip and 91% isopropyl alcohol. No change, dvd's still freeze.

Watching a movie, it will freeze. Pause, stop, FF, FR, play non work. I can hear the motor running. It takes about one minute for the power to turn off after pushing the power button. Restart the dvd, it will freeze at some other part of the movie. Last movie I watched, froze 6 times in different places. No scratches on the disc, and I clean them before playing. Have not had any problems with these discs before. Only happens with dvd's. Happens with all my dvd's now.

Think it's just coincidence that the dvd laser is having problems and not related to the update?
Anyone else having freezing problems after the update?

I have not heard anything at all about freezing of dvd playback.
I would recommend contacting Oppo support to see what else they suggest trying.
My feeling is that the player may need sent in for service.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #13774 of 19509 Old 12-20-2013, 08:01 PM

After reading about the 93 and 95, and then the 103 anticipation forum, I finally broke down and ordered my 103 from Amazon today. Going to replace my WDTV Live with the Oppo to hopefully stream media from my networked attached NAS drives to the TV, and put the WDTV Live in another room to access the media on the NAS drives for that TV. Next in line after hooking it all up will be getting a decent receiver and speakers to complete my system. Any suggestions as I make the change? Thank you all for your input and support in helping the experienced and inexperienced in dealing with the issues we run across. "Hopefully", after reading these threads, my issues (knock on wood) will be easier to resolve..................

Bill
post #13775 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 113
^^
I'm sure you'll like the Oppo. Concerning your question about suggestions for receiver and speakers, more information would be helpful. How much do you want to spend? How large is your listening room? Multi-channel or two-channel? Do you wanty a wubwoofer? (for starters)

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #13776 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 07:28 AM

Good Morning: I am considering purchasing this Player and would like to ask for your opinion as to its quality. I am at present using a Panasonic DMP-BDT310 player and my television is a Samsung Plasma PN51F8500.

Will I see any appreciable difference in picture and sound with the Oppo BDP-103 or is the Panasonic sufficient?

Thanks for taking the time to answer, and I look forward to your answer(s) and future discussions.
post #13777 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 07:33 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonepile View Post

Good Morning: I am considering purchasing this Player and would like to ask for your opinion as to its quality. I am at present using a Panasonic DMP-BDT310 player and my television is a Samsung Plasma PN51F8500.

Will I see any appreciable difference in picture and sound with the Oppo BDP-103 or is the Panasonic sufficient?

Thanks for taking the time to answer, and I look forward to your answer(s) and future discussions.

I would not expect switching players for produce an appreciable upgrade for Blu-ray picture quality.

Is your audio through HDMI connected directly to the TV? Audio quality will be the same in that case.

Do you use a calibration disc? That can make a better improvement than switching gear.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #13778 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 09:54 AM

thanks for the reply. Not quite sure where the rcvr and speakers are going yet. Could be a living room of about 20x15, or into a family room of approx 24x30, both with 8.5' ceilings. Trying to move and wont know until April if its going to happen or not. Just panning for ideas and suggestions for now......... a decent stereo soundbar (if such a thing exists) that would work with the Oppo would suit me until I know about the move.

Bill
post #13779 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I've had my '103 for a week now and am quite happy with everything about it other than the Roku stick implementation. The Roku stick itself is fine--I'm just trying to figure out Oppo's logic behind having only one HDMI MHL port on the front of the 103. As it is now, having the "Barney the Purple Dinosaur" colored Roku stick plugged into the front of the 103 pretty much kills the esthetics of this otherwise beautiful piece of equipment. Not to mention that at approximately 3" long the Roku sticks out way too far to allow the 103 to fit inside a cabinet. I solved the cabinet issue with a right angle HDMI adapter butthere's no solving the eyesore problem. I'm considering returning the stick and buying a Roku 3 box but I like the way the stick integrates with the Oppo's menu. Does anyone else find the stick implementation odd?
post #13780 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonepile View Post

In addition to what Bill wrote, if you watch a lot of SD DVD sources the OPPO "might" do a better job of converting from 480i to 1080p. To answer your question about sound, we would have to know what type of sound system you have. If it's just the TV, then nothing is going to improve that. If you are sending HDMI digital to an AVR, then the AVR will determine audio quality. If you are using the OPPO's analog audio outputs, then the OPPO should sound better.

If your interest is mostly picture quality, then I would look into a calibration done by one of the professionals who are active here at AVS and who do calibration tours. You would pay a similar amount, and as Bill suggested, get more bang for your buck.
post #13781 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post

I've had my '103 for a week now and am quite happy with everything about it other than the Roku stick implementation. The Roku stick itself is fine--I'm just trying to figure out Oppo's logic behind having only one HDMI MHL port on the front of the 103. As it is now, having the "Barney the Purple Dinosaur" colored Roku stick plugged into the front of the 103 pretty much kills the esthetics of this otherwise beautiful piece of equipment. Not to mention that at approximately 3" long the Roku sticks out way too far to allow the 103 to fit inside a cabinet. I solved the cabinet issue with a right angle HDMI adapter butthere's no solving the eyesore problem. I'm considering returning the stick and buying a Roku 3 box but I like the way the stick integrates with the Oppo's menu. Does anyone else find the stick implementation odd?

I have had mixed feelings about the 'stick' but was the best way for me to get Amazon through the 103. So I make it pay for itself by using it for most everything else. The only hangup was Roku did not have a direct access to Youtube, and Oppo does. There is a workaround for YouTube on Roku. Anyway, having an MHL socket at the rear would have been a nice option. I have my 103 on an open shelf that is deep enough I can have the player moved back and the 'purple stick' does not protrude beyond the shelf edge.
post #13782 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Amazon streaming is the main reason I bought the stick as well. I never really considered the fact that MHL was limited to the front port. In fact, I had planned on plugging it in the rear port. It's only after I noticed that the stick didn't do anything when plugged into the rear port that I realized I had made a bad assumption.

I may return the stick pick up a Roku 3 instead--I hate the look of the stick hanging off the front MHL port that much.
post #13783 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 101
See this post http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread/10710#post_23591088

That adapter solves most of the problem of the stick protruding so far. It works fine for me.

post #13784 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

I used the same adapter and it does indeed solve the protrusion problem as I indicated in my post. The apparently unsolvable problem is the vanity "butt ugly" problem.
post #13785 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looking into upgrading my blu ray player. Currently have a Samsung 3D and I haven't been happy with the reliability. Some days it'll play just fine and others I'll get a message that my disc is unplayable. I bought it last year for about $300. My TV is a 64" Samsung plasma (D8000) and has been calibrated.

*I only watch Blu Ray movies, no DVD's or CD's. Also have VUDU & Netflix.

Will I notice any difference in PQ over my Samsung?

Should I run separate RCA's along with HDMI to my receiver (Denon 3313ci)? Will that improve the sound at all? I have NHT speakers, not sure if that matters.

Thanks for any advice.
post #13786 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post

Looking into upgrading my blu ray player. Currently have a Samsung 3D and I haven't been happy with the reliability. Some days it'll play just fine and others I'll get a message that my disc is unplayable. I bought it last year for about $300. My TV is a 64" Samsung plasma (D8000) and has been calibrated.

Should I run separate RCA's along with HDMI to my receiver (Denon 3313ci)? Will that improve the sound at all? I have NHT speakers, not sure if that matters.

Thanks for any advice.

You won't get any improved sound quality from the player, and the only way to know if you would get any improved picture quality is to try it out, but most players are very close to the same for standard BD playback. If all you watch is BD discs, the 103 might be a bit overkill.
You may be just fine with a more simple BD player for half the price.
The -103 does have some nice tweaking options though, and the newer BDP-103D actually has built in Darbee processing for increased clarity and contrast.
If you were to buy one of them, you'd always have the extra features that the players offer if/when you wanted to take advantage of them.
Then there is also the fantastic customer support they have.
Everything has it's own value depending on what features you think are valuable, and what you think those things are worth paying for.
Randall.White likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #13787 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

You won't get any improved sound quality from the player, and the only way to know if you would get any improved picture quality is to try it out, but most players are very close to the same for standard BD playback. If all you watch is BD discs, the 103 might be a bit overkill.
You may be just fine with a more simple BD player for half the price.
The -103 does have some nice tweaking options though, and the newer BDP-103D actually has built in Darbee processing for increased clarity and contrast.
If you were to buy one of them, you'd always have the extra features that the players offer if/when you wanted to take advantage of them.
Then there is also the fantastic customer support they have.
Everything has it's own value depending on what features you think are valuable, and what you think those things are worth paying for.

Thanks for the reply.

So it may be overkill? My thinking was a $300 blu ray player lasted me a year and these Oppo seem to have quite a following. Maybe it would last longer, possibly even 5 years. In the past I bought cheaper Onkyo receivers only to upgrade in 6 months, then finally just decided to spend a good chunk on a nice Denon.

How long do these typically last? Is there a burn in period?

Also since my regular player wouldn't work last night, I used a cheaper one that I have in my bedroom (Samsung $80). Watched Elysium last night and felt that it wasn't very dynamic? I couldn't hear/feel the bass and overall it just didn't seem up to par with my other player. I'm running (2) Outlaw LFM-1EX subs, so I should be able to notice the bass.
post #13788 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 06:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

So it may be overkill? My thinking was a $300 blu ray player lasted me a year and these Oppo seem to have quite a following. Maybe it would last longer, possibly even 5 years. In the past I bought cheaper Onkyo receivers only to upgrade in 6 months, then finally just decided to spend a good chunk on a nice Denon.
You may have over spent on the Samsung too.
Quote:
Have you tried to find out why your Samsung player is failing to play some Blu-ray disks? It's possible that the laser needs cleaning. There is no burn in period for shinny disk players.
Quote:
Also since my regular player wouldn't work last night, I used a cheaper one that I have in my bedroom (Samsung $80). Watched Elysium last night and felt that it wasn't very dynamic? I couldn't hear/feel the bass and overall it just didn't seem up to par with my other player. I'm running (2) Outlaw LFM-1EX subs, so I should be able to notice the bass.
If you are using a HDMI connection to your AVR via bitstream, then there is no way there should be a difference between players. If you have one player convert bitstream to LPCM, then there will be about a 3 db increase in volume which could explain what you are hearing.

The only way the OPPO can improve audio is if you use it's analog outputs. In that case the player DACs, not the AVR DACs, are doing the conversion from digital to analog.
post #13789 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Well I saw on the other Oppo thread that there was a "Burn in" period. Didn't know if it was for all or just some.

Yes, I've tried cleaning it but so far no luck. All my movies are bought new and I'm the only one who touches them (no kids). Thinking about buying another cleaning disc and trying it out.

After I bought the Samsung I kinda found out that it may of been worth less but at the time I couldn't find a player that had all the apps (vudu, netflix etc..) I use. I just bought my house and wasn't wanting to wait, so I bought what the closest best buy was offering.
post #13790 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

The burn in you are referring to is probably more for the BDP-105 that has a much higher quality analog audio stage than their other players.
Some people subscribe to "burn in", some people don't. I have heard the benefits of doing a burn in, but some make it out to be much more than it is.

More than likely the dif you are hearing between the 2 players is either because they are setup differently, or it may quite simply be a more lackluster sound track that you heard but expected more from. If you are using analog audio, that is where the most difference can come into play. Though with your Denon AVR you mentioned, not sure why you would use analog anyway unless it's for a specific reason.

Now when you want to talk reliability, Oppo is at the top of the pile IMO. Their products have an outstanding reputation for reliability, and if something does go wrong during warranty, getting it repaired is quick and painless. Even their out of warranty repair service is very good.
This is not to say that some other manufacturers are poor in those areas, some are and some aren't.
I have never heard of an Oppo BD player breaking beyond the point of a simple cost effective repair.
Just as well, their players hold a strong resale value.

Once again an Oppo may be overkill for the features you use, but maybe what you are looking for is more in the build quality and reliability domain, and you certainly can't go wrong in those areas with Oppo.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #13791 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

As others have stated, when watching BluRay movies there is little or no difference between the Oppo and other players.

But I am guessing you also watch HDTV on your calibrated D8000, yes? If so, you must have an HDTV source, which I'm guessing is either your local cable system or D*/E* satellite, yes? And if so, you will see a BIG improvement in 720p/1080i HDTV picture quality when running the HDMI output of your STB/DVR through the external input of the Oppo (still in original untouched "native" 720p or 1080i resolution, not upconverted by the DVR), and then sending the upconverted-to-1080p HDMI-1 output of the Oppo either directly to your D8000 (with HDMI-2 output going to your AVR for audio handling) or just send both audio and video out together on HDMI-1 to your AVR (which presumably then feeds video to the D8000 via HDMI). HDMI-1 out of the Oppo benefits from either QDEO or Darbee "cleanup and processing". And the Oppo also does a SUPERB job of upconverting to 1080p for delivery out HDMI-1 (and HDMI-2 as well, for that matter).

To me, this is REALLY the #1 reason for considering the Oppo: its two external HDMI inputs to deal with lesser quality sources like 720p/1080i HDTV, cleaning them up, and upconverting to 1080p for delivery to the HDTV. BluRay source is already starting at "perfect 1080p" so any player will deliver that same digital video to the HDTV, and the Oppo doesn't really add anything.

HDTV via the Oppo is SUPER.
mlmcgahee likes this.
post #13792 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for clearing this up. I am looking for something that is very reliable. I don't mind spending extra if it'll last longer. How long can I expect it to last?

When using the HDMI input, does the blu ray player need to be on? I run everything (HDMI) through my receiver. Would it be like I'm watching a blu ray (as my receiver would see it) but be watching TV. We have DirecTV but don't know how long we'll keep them.
post #13793 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 10:02 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 64
quick question.

I have the oppo 103. I watched a few movies and the video quality is excellent as well as the audio. However, in regards to the audio, I seem to have some lip sync issues every now and then when watching characters on the screen talk. Seems the sound is a Milli second or two ahead of the lip.. It isn't all the time, just some times, I notice it.

I have a 7.2 sound system.

I have the latest firmware.

My receiver is NAD T-777

Could it be one of the audio settings that I need to tweak within the oppo audio menu?

Any suggestions?

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #13794 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 10:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Yes, I've tried cleaning it but so far no luck.
I wouldn't recommend using cleaning disks. With the OPPO you can take the top off of the case, and remove the top of the optical drive. That exposes the lasers. A slightly damp (alcohol) cotton swap and a little light rubbing will do the job. I don't know if it's that easy to get to the lasers in the Samsung player.

The OPPO players have very high reliability, and the service department has a record of doing one day turn around at a flat fee that's about $70 out of warranty. I've had three OPPO players, but I've never needed a repair. What I know about repair records comes exclusively from reading 83, 93, and 103 owner's threads.
post #13795 of 19509 Old 12-21-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:

Thanks for clearing this up. I am looking for something that is very reliable. I don't mind spending extra if it'll last longer. How long can I expect it to last?

When using the HDMI input, does the blu ray player need to be on? I run everything (HDMI) through my receiver. Would it be like I'm watching a blu ray (as my receiver would see it) but be watching TV. We have DirecTV but don't know how long we'll keep them.

If using HDMI input, yes, the 103 would need to be powered up/turned on. We have Dish network and I can honestly say it made a pretty dramatic difference in PQ on my 60 inch Panny plasma.

As for reliability, my 103 is my third OPPO. I had the first DVD player for 3 years and sold it working flawlessly. Purchased my OPPO 93 in 2009 and I (still) use it exclusively in the theater with the PJ - it too is still looking and functioning like day one. My 103 will be a year old come Christmas Day. No issues with it what so ever. There are bound to be a few units that have hardware issues/failures but they tend to happen very early on in ownership and as mentioned above, OPPO warranty / customer service is really darn good.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #13796 of 19509 Old 12-22-2013, 12:20 AM

Liked: 15
Cross posted on 105 forum:

I know there is no notice of it being enabled, but I just made a "DSD Disc" with
Korg's AudioGate software.
I first converted my dff to dfs (stero only) format then edited the songlist info.
Then burned to a DVD-R.
Oppo is 105 with latest firmware.
Oppo does not recognize that a disc has been inserted, but on choosing the Music
menu it clearly shows "Source: DSD DIsc".
All tracks show with correct info and track times.
Only thing missing is the cover art.
I had thought this was a Sony Playstation only option 'till now.
Does this mean that Sony won't like this and we find it disabled in the next firmware update?
Cheers
post #13797 of 19509 Old 12-22-2013, 01:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

When using the HDMI input, does the blu ray player need to be on?
Yes. The Oppo must be powered on in order to accept external HDMI input and pass it on.

Quote:
I run everything (HDMI) through my receiver. Would it be like I'm watching a blu ray (as my receiver would see it) but be watching TV.
Yes. Your AVR is set to whatever input you select when watching BluRay from your current player.

You use the INPUT select on the Oppo to designate whether you're using it to play anything from its BD "main menu" (which includes BluRay discs, Netflix, YouTube, etc.), or whether you're playing something from an external source using the HDMI input on the back or HDMI input on the front. But to your AVR, it still looks like it's coming from the same BluRay player.

You want to turn off all video processing (if any) that you've currently got enabled in your AVR. You just want it to pass through whatever HDMI video it receives from the Oppo to your HDTV, which will be doing everything.
post #13798 of 19509 Old 12-22-2013, 01:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ View Post

I have the oppo 103. I watched a few movies and the video quality is excellent as well as the audio. However, in regards to the audio, I seem to have some lip sync issues every now and then when watching characters on the screen talk. Seems the sound is a Milli second or two ahead of the lip.. It isn't all the time, just some times, I notice it.

Could it be one of the audio settings that I need to tweak within the oppo audio menu?
Occasionally playback will exhibit lipsync issues. I've seen this on some BluRay movies (e.g. "Queen of Versailles") but not all.

You can compensate for lipsync problems in "Setup Menu"->"Audio Processing" -> "A/V Sync", and the delayed time will be applied to all output terminals including HDMI 1 and 2, Coaxial, Optical, and 7.1 outputs. This applies to all inputs, including discs played on the 103 as well for incoming external HDMI source.

You can adjust +/- 200ms, so just play with it to see what direction and magnitude is right to correct your current problem. Don't forget, this won't apply to everything you watch, so don't think of it as a "set it and forget it" adjustment. It is only to be used if you actually need to compensate for a lipsync issue you're experiencing with whatever source you're watching at that moment.
post #13799 of 19509 Old 12-22-2013, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I wouldn't recommend using cleaning disks. With the OPPO you can take the top off of the case, and remove the top of the optical drive. That exposes the lasers. A slightly damp (alcohol) cotton swap and a little light rubbing will do the job. I don't know if it's that easy to get to the lasers in the Samsung player.

The OPPO players have very high reliability, and the service department has a record of doing one day turn around at a flat fee that's about $70 out of warranty. I've had three OPPO players, but I've never needed a repair. What I know about repair records comes exclusively from reading 83, 93, and 103 owner's threads.

From what I can see there isn't a safe way of getting into the Samsung player. So will a disc ruin it?
post #13800 of 19509 Old 12-22-2013, 02:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmitty View Post

If using HDMI input, yes, the 103 would need to be powered up/turned on. We have Dish network and I can honestly say it made a pretty dramatic difference in PQ on my 60 inch Panny plasma.

As for reliability, my 103 is my third OPPO. I had the first DVD player for 3 years and sold it working flawlessly. Purchased my OPPO 93 in 2009 and I (still) use it exclusively in the theater with the PJ - it too is still looking and functioning like day one. My 103 will be a year old come Christmas Day. No issues with it what so ever. There are bound to be a few units that have hardware issues/failures but they tend to happen very early on in ownership and as mentioned above, OPPO warranty / customer service is really darn good.

Cheers

Is there a reason why you use your 93 in your theater, instead of the 103?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page