Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 463 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 298Likes

post #13861 of 19477 Old 12-25-2013, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Greetings all. So I will be looking for a new 3D blu-ray player early next year. I had a Sony S790 which isn't reading any discs. I currently own the Pioneer SC-1522-K and I was wondering since the Pioneer already has Qdeo, would there be any benefit buying the Oppo 103? Oh and currently have the Panasonic TC-P55ST30 plasma.

Thanks you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13862 of 19477 Old 12-25-2013, 09:56 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizman View Post

So just gave myself a nice Christmas gift, the DenonX4000 and can't get any clear answers as to which is better at doing the Video processing, the X 4000 or the Oppo103 when it comes to DVDs and streaming movies ? should i also let my cable box and roku go thru the Oppo first for the same purpose?

Thanks in advance,

B

It has been a while since I've posted on here but wanted to say congrats on the X4000 and share my enthusiasm for my BDP-103 purchase thanks to all of the great reviews and info on here. I bought the X4000 about a month ago and have been thoroughly impressed with it. With the addition of the Oppo, my system is the best it has been since I downsized from my Krell/Adcom/Parasound separates system. The 103 came with firmware from May, so was about 6 updates behind. Everything seemed to work fine except when I would go to Netflix and then back out to the menu. It would freeze every time. I set it to loop music overnight and when i got up this morning, it was frozen. It was still playing but I couldn't get it to do anything from the remote. So, I turned it off and back on and then updated to the latest firmware. The Netflix freeze has now gone away and I haven't seen any issues browsing the menu or anything. I have it looping a DSD disk right now so we will see if there are any other problems.

Other than that, I love the thing. It hasn't failed to play anything I've thrown at it so far. My main motive for the purchase other than just a higher quality blu-ray player (upgraded from a Sony BDP-S570), was to be able to play DSD/DSF files. My Sony played SACD, so that wasn't an issue. But, with being able to download DSD music, it's nice to be able to play those as well. I had no luck with streaming DSD from my Macbook to my X4000. It will only output PCM over HDMI even though the Denon will decode DSD directly. So, I got tired of messing with that. This is a better solution because I can play my files from a stick, HDD or from a data disk.

The video looks great and I love that I can now watch Netflix movies and have DD+ surround. I hated watching movies on Netflix because of no surround. It's still not as good as blu-ray, but will be great for watching older movies that I don't want to buy or spend the money for BD.

So, that's what I know in the less than 24 hours I've had my 103. Highly impressed so far and well worth the $499. I don't think there is anything else out there to match it in the price range and hardly anything with the features at twice the price besides the 95. If I were going to spend $999, I would just spend another 200 and get the 105. I just couldn't justify the additional $700 at this time.

I will post later on once I've had time to evaluate it more. Time to go play. biggrin.gif

Dave

ROCK ON!
post #13863 of 19477 Old 12-25-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmheath View Post

It has been a while since I've posted on here but wanted to say congrats on the X4000 and share my enthusiasm for my BDP-103 purchase thanks to all of the great reviews and info on here. I bought the X4000 about a month ago and have been thoroughly impressed with it. With the addition of the Oppo, my system is the best it has been since I downsized from my Krell/Adcom/Parasound separates system. The 103 came with firmware from May, so was about 6 updates behind. Everything seemed to work fine except when I would go to Netflix and then back out to the menu. It would freeze every time. I set it to loop music overnight and when i got up this morning, it was frozen. It was still playing but I couldn't get it to do anything from the remote. So, I turned it off and back on and then updated to the latest firmware. The Netflix freeze has now gone away and I haven't seen any issues browsing the menu or anything. I have it looping a DSD disk right now so we will see if there are any other problems.

Other than that, I love the thing. It hasn't failed to play anything I've thrown at it so far. My main motive for the purchase other than just a higher quality blu-ray player (upgraded from a Sony BDP-S570), was to be able to play DSD/DSF files. My Sony played SACD, so that wasn't an issue. But, with being able to download DSD music, it's nice to be able to play those as well. I had no luck with streaming DSD from my Macbook to my X4000. It will only output PCM over HDMI even though the Denon will decode DSD directly. So, I got tired of messing with that. This is a better solution because I can play my files from a stick, HDD or from a data disk.

The video looks great and I love that I can now watch Netflix movies and have DD+ surround. I hated watching movies on Netflix because of no surround. It's still not as good as blu-ray, but will be great for watching older movies that I don't want to buy or spend the money for BD.

So, that's what I know in the less than 24 hours I've had my 103. Highly impressed so far and well worth the $499. I don't think there is anything else out there to match it in the price range and hardly anything with the features at twice the price besides the 95. If I were going to spend $999, I would just spend another 200 and get the 105. I just couldn't justify the additional $700 at this time.

I will post later on once I've had time to evaluate it more. Time to go play. biggrin.gif

Dave

Dave thank you for the reply. will you be kind enough to share your hook up? are u routing everything thru the 103 with separate audio and video into the x4k? and what setting are you having thin on both?
post #13864 of 19477 Old 12-25-2013, 01:10 PM

I finally acquired an Oppo 103 (after my previous speculations on this forum) and now, I have a question:

Is it possible to use Oppo as a network media receiver: to transfer audio or video from my computer to the speakers or the projector? Situation: Oppo and computer are on the same network; speakers are (connected to a receiver which in return is) connected to Oppo; the projector is also connected to Oppo. I am on a Windows machine which detects Oppo on the network.

Do I still need another device or Oppo is enough? Here I am not talking about navigating my PC's hard drive from the Oppo interface. I am talking about clicking on for example a music file in my PC and, then listening to it through the speakers that are connected to Oppo?

The answer may be more about whether Windows can bypass the internal sound card and send the audio signal to Oppo through the network? If this is not possible, another solution might exist if there exist wireless optical audio receiver/transmitters in the market (I don't know if they exist). Ideally, I would like to do this independent (regardless) of the software on the PC, if possible.

Thanks.

post #13865 of 19477 Old 12-25-2013, 01:23 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by raminolta View Post

I finally acquired an Oppo 103 (after my previous speculations on this forum) and now, I have a question:

See the FAQ: Is the player a Digital Media Renderer?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #13866 of 19477 Old 12-25-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizman View Post

Dave thank you for the reply. will you be kind enough to share your hook up? are u routing everything thru the 103 with separate audio and video into the x4k? and what setting are you having thin on both?

Actually, right now I am routing HDMI 2 out of the 103 into the X4000 for anything multi-channel. I also have the analog outs running into a separate input on the X4000 strictly for stereo music. I can hear a slight difference in the two, but haven't decided which is actually better. The Denon actually does a pretty good job if you ask me. But, I haven't had a lot of alone time to evaluate it more closely yet. I plan on running the HDMI 1 from the 103 straight to my HDTV if nothing else but so I can have OSD when I use the analog outs. I also would like to try the split audio/video as well. The only other source I have going to the X4000 is my turntable. It's nice having one main source to do everything, hence the universal player. And, might I add, do it all very well. Thanks Oppo, another happy customer!

Dave

ROCK ON!
post #13867 of 19477 Old 12-25-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Joe View Post

Greetings all. So I will be looking for a new 3D blu-ray player early next year. I had a Sony S790 which isn't reading any discs. I currently own the Pioneer SC-1522-K and I was wondering since the Pioneer already has Qdeo, would there be any benefit buying the Oppo 103? Oh and currently have the Panasonic TC-P55ST30 plasma.

Generally the player will do a better job since it is designed explicitly for playing back physical disc media. It will be more precise in its de-interlacing, scaling, and other video processing for this reason.
post #13868 of 19477 Old 12-25-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

See the FAQ: Is the player a Digital Media Renderer?

-Bill

Thanks for the reply. It partially answered my question. Indeed, Windows Media Player has already detected the Oppo on the network and I can stream to it from the computer. It turns out this solution is software dependent. I don't know if VLC, for example can do the same (is it a 'digital media renderer'?)

The ideal solution for me would have been software independent if it were possible. For example, when I edit in Adobe Premiere Pro, I would like to use my sound system to listen to the recorded audio (rather than having to use some low quality crappy computer speakers). Unfortunately, Premiere Pro does not detect the Oppo on the network as an output audio device. In such a case, one solution would be using the HDMI connection from the GPU to either the receiver or Oppo which requires a long cable or, using a wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver (hence the need to use a device other than Oppo).

post #13869 of 19477 Old 12-25-2013, 06:41 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. It partially answered my question. Indeed, Windows Media Player has already detected the Oppo on the network and I can stream to it from the computer. It turns out this solution is software dependent. I don't know if VLC, for example can do the same (is it a 'digital media renderer'?)

The ideal solution for me would have been software independent if it were possible. For example, when I edit in Adobe Premiere Pro, I would like to use my sound system to listen to the recorded audio (rather than having to use some low quality crappy computer speakers). Unfortunately, Premiere Pro does not detect the Oppo on the network as an output audio device. In such a case, one solution would be using the HDMI connection from the GPU to either the receiver or Oppo which requires a long cable or, using a wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver (hence the need to use a device other than Oppo).
It is software independent in the sense that any software the supports the DLNA protocol should work with the Oppo without having to do anything special on the Oppo. A bunch of us feel that J River Media Center combined with the JRemote iOS app is one of the best solutions available for using the Oppo as a DLNA renderer.
post #13870 of 19477 Old 12-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Well, the easiest way in my understanding would be to move your computer close to your sound-system. I am asking myself, if your computer is relatively far away from your sound system - may be another room - how will you benefit from playing your Adobe Pro via your sound-system, but sitting in front of your computer and using Adobe Pro? But maybe I am missing here something?

If you only want to listen to the music and use no video, the Oppo doesn't make sense and if you are not doing multi-channel music, an analog cable from your sound card to your AVR can also solve the problem.

May be you can explain in a bit more detail what you plan to achieve?
post #13871 of 19477 Old 12-25-2013, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Generally the player will do a better job since it is designed explicitly for playing back physical disc media. It will be more precise in its de-interlacing, scaling, and other video processing for this reason.

Don't forget that de-interlacing and scaling (except scaling to 4k) are not performed by the QDEO processor in the BDP-103 anyway. Those processes are handled solely by the MediaTek processor.
post #13872 of 19477 Old 12-26-2013, 05:06 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

Don't forget that de-interlacing and scaling (except scaling to 4k) are not performed by the QDEO processor in the BDP-103 anyway. Those processes are handled solely by the MediaTek processor.

Does anyone know why oppo made the decision to switch from qdeo to mediatek upscaling? As the machine has the qdeo chip I can only assume that oppo compared the two and believed the mediatek implementation to be superior. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.
post #13873 of 19477 Old 12-26-2013, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by leev View Post

Does anyone know why oppo made the decision to switch from qdeo to mediatek upscaling? As the machine has the qdeo chip I can only assume that oppo compared the two and believed the mediatek implementation to be superior. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

My understanding is that Oppo engineering was able to utilize the MediaTek SoC on the 103/105 to perform superior de-interlacing and scaling to that being performed by the Marvell QDEO.
post #13874 of 19477 Old 12-26-2013, 06:28 AM

Just got the 103 with the Roku stick. Was comparing the Netflix app through the Roku with the one in the 103. I'm only getting 2-channel stereo through the Roku plugged into MHL whereas it is Dolby Digital through the player's app (same source material). Do I need to do something with my settings?
post #13875 of 19477 Old 12-26-2013, 11:03 AM

Liked: 11
I'm hoping to get some help in what would be the best way to connect my components together. This is what I have:

VIZIO M801d-A3 80-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D LED HDTV

VIZIO S5430W-C2 54-Inch 3.0 Soundbar

OPPO BDP-103

U-verse DVR

AppleTV

Hard wired Ethernet

I've had various recommendations as to how to connect everything together and I'm not savvy enough to understand the advantages of using the 103 for running everything through for a better video picture.
I'd also like some opinions on whether HDMI cables rated at 10.2mbps is enough or would I benefit from 18mbps cable. The reason I'm asking is because I need to run a cable up inside the wall to the back of the TV and if it's necessary to use CL2 rated cable for that short run I haven't been able to find it with 18mbps, only 10.2.
Once everything is hooked up and working I'm also interested in consolidating my clutter of remotes since I have 5 for all the above components. Can the OPPO remote be used to control everything or does anyone have a recommendation for an all-in-one after market remote?
post #13876 of 19477 Old 12-26-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsorgi View Post

Just got the 103 with the Roku stick. Was comparing the Netflix app through the Roku with the one in the 103. I'm only getting 2-channel stereo through the Roku plugged into MHL whereas it is Dolby Digital through the player's app (same source material). Do I need to do something with my settings?

In the roku interface, goto settings, audio and change it from stereo to surround.
post #13877 of 19477 Old 12-26-2013, 12:54 PM

Did that during setup and double-checked. Funny, Amazon Instant Video is streaming DD+ but still only 2-channel for Netflix. Thanks for the advice. Anyone else reporting this problem?
post #13878 of 19477 Old 12-26-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky58 View Post

My 103 is due to arrive Christmas eve, and earlier in the threads I mentioned getting a decent rcvr and speakers to round out my system. Jokingly asked about a decent soundbar. Any recommendations on a receiver and speakers for around $1000. Will run cable stb thru the 103 using HDMI and am looking for a rcvr to take advantage of the audio (if I understood what I read) HDMI in the 103 and letting the Oppo handle it all. Anything has to be better then the sound I get from my Sony Bravia XBR 3D......

Thanks Again
Bill
If I were in your shoes, I would get a $500 amp such as from Emotiva and have Oppo do the pre/pro work. And start off with good speakers for front left/center/right.Rather than getting all mediocre speakers, focus on front 3 speakers and build as you go.

HOME THEATER
Panasonic : PT-AE8000U
AVR (pre-pro): Denon AVR 989
Amp : Sherbourne PA7-350
Oppo 103D
Pendragon-SE
Dual HSU ULS15Panamorph UH480
Seymour AV 120"x60", curved, AT Screen
Sony Google TV
Omnimount : RE27
Nakamichi CDC300 - CD Player

FAMILY ROOM
Samsung 60" LCD
Nakamichi AVR
Infinity...
post #13879 of 19477 Old 12-26-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Is it possible to use Oppo as a network media receiver: to transfer audio or video from my computer to the speakers or the projector? Situation: Oppo and computer are on the same network; speakers are (connected to a receiver which in return is) connected to Oppo; the projector is also connected to Oppo. I am on a Windows machine which detects Oppo on the network.

Do I still need another device or Oppo is enough? Here I am not talking about navigating my PC's hard drive from the Oppo interface. I am talking about clicking on for example a music file in my PC and, then listening to it through the speakers that are connected to Oppo?

The answer may be more about whether Windows can bypass the internal sound card and send the audio signal to Oppo through the network? If this is not possible, another solution might exist if there exist wireless optical audio receiver/transmitters in the market (I don't know if they exist). Ideally, I would like to do this independent (regardless) of the software on the PC, if possible.

Thanks.
As long as your media files are in your windows media library (or under a media server such as ServIIO) you can push to Oppo or pull from Oppo. Your PC's soundcard is irrelevant. The file is played by Oppo.

HOME THEATER
Panasonic : PT-AE8000U
AVR (pre-pro): Denon AVR 989
Amp : Sherbourne PA7-350
Oppo 103D
Pendragon-SE
Dual HSU ULS15Panamorph UH480
Seymour AV 120"x60", curved, AT Screen
Sony Google TV
Omnimount : RE27
Nakamichi CDC300 - CD Player

FAMILY ROOM
Samsung 60" LCD
Nakamichi AVR
Infinity...
post #13880 of 19477 Old 12-26-2013, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Did that during setup and double-checked. Funny, Amazon Instant Video is streaming DD+ but still only 2-channel for Netflix. Thanks for the advice. Anyone else reporting this problem?

Happens top me occasionally.Very odd. Rebooting my Roku HD takes care of it.

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

"All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."

post #13881 of 19477 Old 12-26-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:

and you definitely choose DD audio when choosing you're netflix title. If I recall the stick seems to default to the stereo stream by default.
post #13882 of 19477 Old 12-26-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I used one of those Antec fans for a while, but after about a year it started to make rattling noises.

I did some research on them and they only do 8cfm and many mixed reviews out there.

Reggie
Family Room:70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8077/GoldenEar:Triton Ones (superseding Triton 2s), SuperCenter XL center channel, and SuperSat 60surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/ HP Notebook
Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds
post #13883 of 19477 Old 12-26-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post

Well, the easiest way in my understanding would be to move your computer close to your sound-system. I am asking myself, if your computer is relatively far away from your sound system - may be another room - how will you benefit from playing your Adobe Pro via your sound-system, but sitting in front of your computer and using Adobe Pro? But maybe I am missing here something?

If you only want to listen to the music and use no video, the Oppo doesn't make sense and if you are not doing multi-channel music, an analog cable from your sound card to your AVR can also solve the problem.

May be you can explain in a bit more detail what you plan to achieve?

My sound system and my computer are in a double room, each on one side. I can use some long cables to connect them though I have been speculating if I could minimize the number of cables traveling across the room., I have actually two receivers (my older Sony model and a newer Onkyo 809). In the past I was using the Sony for my computer and the Onkyo 809 for the home theater. Now, I am trying to see if I can use just one receiver for both applications so that I can let the Onkyo go. This is possible since my Sony receiver has two zones (with a mechanical switch) and I can place two speakers on my computer desk in zone B while the home theater will be in zone A. I still need to have two long copper cables from the receiver all the way to the speakers that are placed on the desk top and apparently there is no wireless solution for this one.

post #13884 of 19477 Old 12-26-2013, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I know this has been covered, so please don't jump all over me... this is more my attempt at re-assuring myself that I'm not clinically insane...

I am piecing together parts for my HT room. I started with an Onkyo NR818 recently, then picked up (3) Crown XLS1500's to power the pretty much everything except for subs. I picked up a Rane RPM88 for a price that would have been stupid to pass up. I had planned to use it for multi-subwoofer EQ. Which essentially means there's a lot of wasted channels on the Rane, but like I said... good price.

The next step is to pick up a BDP. Naturally, Oppo came to mind. I started shopping, and realized I can use the Oppo 103 or 105 as a preamp, as has been discussed here a few times. It got me thinking... why do I have the Onkyo AVR? It has Audyssey XT32 built in which is nice, but I'm a manual tuner anyway, so while it's convenient it's not a huge benefit. Other than having separate zones, there's really nothing else the Onkyo provides me that the Oppo couldn't do. I don't need a bajillion inputs. I'll be running the BDP and an AppleTv; I can manually swap HDMI cables from my DirecTV box if needed, I'd imagine. I'm not that lazy. wink.gif

Using the BDP-103 in lieu of the AVR for video/sound processing would save me the cost of the AVR (about $630). Or, that could be applied to the BDP-105. Not sure I personally see the justification there but that's not top priority right now.

I have a couple questions, though, before I make any brash decisions.
First, I'm a bit concerned there may be lip sync issues due to passing analog out to the Rane for my DSP, and then on to the amps. I've read a lot of issues with lip sync through AVRs, but don't know if this is something I should be concerned with. I also can't find any mention of being able to delay video to sync up with the audio. Is this a legitimate concern for me, or am I concerned with a non-issue?

Second, are there those of you who went a similar route (Oppo as a pre-amp) that have words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Erin

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If you like speaker science, have a look at my website:
www.medleysmusings.com

- Erin
post #13885 of 19477 Old 12-26-2013, 11:51 PM

Hi,

Looking for some help on a strange problem that I am having on a BDP-103 that I just purchased. For some reasons, the player would not see files that end with anything other than .AVI on my NAS. I did some searching on the internet and could not find anyone else with this same issue. Has anyone seen this problem before?

I purchased the BDP-103 as my first blue ray player and to replace my WD Live box which has no problems detecting the files on my NAS before.

Any comment is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

post #13886 of 19477 Old 12-27-2013, 12:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post

I know this has been covered, so please don't jump all over me... this is more my attempt at re-assuring myself that I'm not clinically insane...

I am piecing together parts for my HT room. I started with an Onkyo NR818 recently, then picked up (3) Crown XLS1500's to power the pretty much everything except for subs. I picked up a Rane RPM88 for a price that would have been stupid to pass up. I had planned to use it for multi-subwoofer EQ. Which essentially means there's a lot of wasted channels on the Rane, but like I said... good price.

The next step is to pick up a BDP. Naturally, Oppo came to mind. I started shopping, and realized I can use the Oppo 103 or 105 as a preamp, as has been discussed here a few times. It got me thinking... why do I have the Onkyo AVR? It has Audyssey XT32 built in which is nice, but I'm a manual tuner anyway, so while it's convenient it's not a huge benefit. Other than having separate zones, there's really nothing else the Onkyo provides me that the Oppo couldn't do. I don't need a bajillion inputs. I'll be running the BDP and an AppleTv; I can manually swap HDMI cables from my DirecTV box if needed, I'd imagine. I'm not that lazy. wink.gif

Using the BDP-103 in lieu of the AVR for video/sound processing would save me the cost of the AVR (about $630). Or, that could be applied to the BDP-105. Not sure I personally see the justification there but that's not top priority right now.

I have a couple questions, though, before I make any brash decisions.
First, I'm a bit concerned there may be lip sync issues due to passing analog out to the Rane for my DSP, and then on to the amps. I've read a lot of issues with lip sync through AVRs, but don't know if this is something I should be concerned with. I also can't find any mention of being able to delay video to sync up with the audio. Is this a legitimate concern for me, or am I concerned with a non-issue?

Second, are there those of you who went a similar route (Oppo as a pre-amp) that have words of wisdom?

Thanks in advance for any feedback,
Erin

I have basically been using the Oppo players as a pre-amp for more than a year. I have a very nice Onkyo avr that has just been collecting dust since I decided to simplify my setup,
but just not ready to sell it off just yet. I run analog audio direct to power amps and the video direct to display via hdmi.
I have a nice media room with good sound treatments, so it allows me the alternative on not using digital room correction software like Audyssey.
I use the hdmi inputs of the Oppo to route my other devices through it and everything just works well that way for me.
My biggest concern I have for anyone else trying the same thing, is to make sure your analog setup actually sounds better than using the digital audio setup.
If you have a room with lots of reflective surfaces and/or modes that need correction, you may be better off using hdmi audio.

As for the lip sync issues, I usually don't have any, but there is a lip sync correction feature in the player if you need to use it.
You may want to check out the online manual to see how it works before deciding.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #13887 of 19477 Old 12-27-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsbunny1 View Post

Hi,

Looking for some help on a strange problem that I am having on a BDP-103 that I just purchased. For some reasons, the player would not see files that end with anything other than .AVI on my NAS. I did some searching on the internet and could not find anyone else with this same issue. Has anyone seen this problem before?

I purchased the BDP-103 as my first blue ray player and to replace my WD Live box which has no problems detecting the files on my NAS before.

Thanks

When you browse the NAS via the "movie" pathway, only video files will be seen. When you browse via the "music" pathway only audio files are seen, etc.
This is a limitation imposed by the Mediatek decoder. Don't hesitate to let Oppo know if it displeases you.
post #13888 of 19477 Old 12-27-2013, 06:27 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsbunny1 View Post

Hi,

Thanks

Also: what other extensions are you looking for, and are you using your NAS as an SMB or DLNA server?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #13889 of 19477 Old 12-27-2013, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

I have basically been using the Oppo players as a pre-amp for more than a year. I have a very nice Onkyo avr that has just been collecting dust since I decided to simplify my setup,
but just not ready to sell it off just yet. I run analog audio direct to power amps and the video direct to display via hdmi.
I have a nice media room with good sound treatments, so it allows me the alternative on not using digital room correction software like Audyssey.
I use the hdmi inputs of the Oppo to route my other devices through it and everything just works well that way for me.
My biggest concern I have for anyone else trying the same thing, is to make sure your analog setup actually sounds better than using the digital audio setup.
If you have a room with lots of reflective surfaces and/or modes that need correction, you may be better off using hdmi audio.

As for the lip sync issues, I usually don't have any, but there is a lip sync correction feature in the player if you need to use it.
You may want to check out the online manual to see how it works before deciding.

Thanks for the feedback. I do plan on having room treatments, but DSP is still necessary for at least some things.

I did search the manual for lip sync but found no mention. I'll give it a look again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If you like speaker science, have a look at my website:
www.medleysmusings.com

- Erin
post #13890 of 19477 Old 12-27-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post

Thanks for the feedback. I do plan on having room treatments, but DSP is still necessary for at least some things.

I did search the manual for lip sync but found no mention. I'll give it a look again.

I think they refer to it in the menu as "a/v sync".
It can be used in 10ms increments up to +200 ms on the "+" side, and up to -100 ms on the "-" side.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page