Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 475 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14221 of 17991 Old 01-11-2014, 06:23 PM
Member
 
Tornado Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
20140109_155137_resized_2.jpg 196k .jpg file mShuttle

Picked up my second pure audio blu-ray the other day, Jane Ira Bloom's "Sixteen Sunsets" in 5.1 This is the first disc I've had with the "mShuttle" option. Load the disc into a local network enabled blu-ray player (Oppo 103 in my case) and hit the mShuttle button. Then go to the computer and type the IP address of the blu-ray player into the web browser box. The song list pops up on the pc screen and you can then upload one or all songs onto the pc in mp3, wav, or flac format. I loaded the set list as flac and played it via VOX on my Mac mini, works great. Seems to be an easy way to send your music to your pc vs ripping. Hope to see more discs coming with this feature.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140109_155137_resized_2.jpg (195.7 KB, 17 views)
Smarty-pants likes this.
Tornado Red is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14222 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 12:02 AM
Member
 
MIIKE888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdtony View Post

Hi, has anyone had local buffering issues with high bandwidth streams?  When playing mkv files via my Samba/Cifs share from my server where both ends are connected to the network via a 100Mbps hardwired Ethernet connection, I have buffering issues whenever the stream rate exceeds >30Mbps or more. The whole movie stutters and it's obvious either the BDP-103 is not keeping up with the data rate or not receiving the data rate that it needs. I don't think it's a server or LAN issues as I frequently transfer files to/from my Linux Samba server and my desktop PC and get >90Mbps sustained with no hiccups. I suspect it's a buffering or decoding issue with the BDP-103 where the data rate exceeds the processing abilities of the BDP-103, however this is just a theory for now as I haven't tried to debug the issue much to date.

Anyone seen such behavior with their BDP-103s?

As an example I have a 32GB 1080p mkv movie file which is unplayable on the 103 as the streaming date rate is consistently >30Mbps. 103 works fine for movies with data rates <25Mbps, I'm on the latest firmware.  I can also play the same 32GB file fine from the same server via my MythTV HTPC. But of course I want to use the better video decoding capabilities of the 103!  smile.gif

Many thanks,

Tony


Hi!

When i stream movies from my Synology Nas/server it is impossible for me to stream full BD movies because it stutters and buffers…….so i am using NFS sharing and there is no problem at all-

when i tested with Jellyfish clips the SMB doesn't play test clips over 30mbps….BUT with NFS sharing i can play test files up to 90mbps!!!smile.gif

Hope this helps.
MIIKE888 is offline  
post #14223 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 06:33 AM
Newbie
 
bdtony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIIKE888 View Post


Hi!

When i stream movies from my Synology Nas/server it is impossible for me to stream full BD movies because it stutters and buffers…….so i am using NFS sharing and there is no problem at all-

when i tested with Jellyfish clips the SMB doesn't play test clips over 30mbps….BUT with NFS sharing i can play test files up to 90mbps!!!smile.gif

Hope this helps.

 

Yes, in your case sounds like the Synology doesn't handle the additional overhead of SMB. I also found NFS puts less load on the server although my Linux box has enough horsepower to run either.  On the BD-103 it auto detects both the NFS and SMB shares automatically, so it's just a matter of using the right one at run time really, piece of cake.  In fast action scenes with lots of background detail, I've noticed bandwidth can spike to 60-70Mbps for periods of time.  

 

Tony

bdtony is offline  
post #14224 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIIKE888 View Post

Hi!

When i stream movies from my Synology Nas/server it is impossible for me to stream full BD movies because it stutters and buffers…….so i am using NFS sharing and there is no problem at all-

when i tested with Jellyfish clips the SMB doesn't play test clips over 30mbps….BUT with NFS sharing i can play test files up to 90mbps!!!smile.gif

Hope this helps.
I'm not seeing this behaviour via SMB. All my Blu-ray disc's are backed-up to the .MKV container and are stored on external NTFS formatted HDDs, which are connected to my Synology DS212+ NAS via USB3. All my switch-gear is 10/100...

I've just played some high bit-rate scenes from Avatar, Avengers Assemble and Cloud Atlas without any issues. And my 60Mbps test samples (in .MKV and .M2TS) also play okay.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #14225 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 07:34 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,436
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Has anyone tried installing a NFS server on a Windows 7 or Windows 8 system? Any recommendations? I know there's one from HaneWin, which isn't free, and another called FreeNFS. Depending on how difficult these are to setup, it may be a viable solution for people who are having issues connecting to SMB shares with Windows 7 or are using Windows 8. I'd like to have a bit of direct experience with this in the beta test group, so we might be able to provide some useful advice.
gsr is offline  
post #14226 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 07:37 AM
Newbie
 
bdtony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post


I have two "satellite" Netgear GS105 (gigabit switches) in use around my house with CAT6 interconnects to the attached devices (even if they aren't capable of gigabit speeds).

Each GS105 is connected via long CAT6 cable runs to my main Netgear WNDR4000 gigabit router, with my PC's also connected via CAT6 interconnects either directly to the router or to one of the GS105's.

Never considered the FS105.

 

I see, the FS105 was something I had lying around. My network is mostly Cisco enterprise gear and it wasn't worth upgrading to Gigabit at Fast Ethernet seemed plenty fast for the things I do.  BTW is the BD-103 Ethernet port Gigabit capable? I looked at the user docs and it doesn't seem to mention.

 

If so this may be a good reason to move my server and the 103 to dedicated Gigabit segment if I'm going to be viewing insanely HD content at some point.

 

Tony 

bdtony is offline  
post #14227 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 07:49 AM
Newbie
 
bdtony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Has anyone tried installing a NFS server on a Windows 7 or Windows 8 system? Any recommendations? I know there's one from HaneWin, which isn't free, and another called FreeNFS. Depending on how difficult these are to setup, it may be a viable solution for people who are having issues connecting to SMB shares with Windows 7 or are using Windows 8. I'd like to have a bit of direct experience with this in the beta test group, so we might be able to provide some useful advice.

 

I have not tried a NFS server under Windows but am using the Microsoft NFS client under Windows XP. It's basically rubbish as performance is sub par as far as I can tell compared to SMB when connected back to my Linux server (CentOS 6.4). I run a number of Windows and Unix clients which mounts drives via this server and basically have found SMB is optimal for Windows, and NFS for Unix clients respectively. I suspect the BD-103 runs an embedded *nix OS variant, hence the better results with NFS.

 

Tony

bdtony is offline  
post #14228 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 07:51 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,436
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdtony View Post

I see, the FS105 was something I had lying around. My network is mostly Cisco enterprise gear and it wasn't worth upgrading to Gigabit at Fast Ethernet seemed plenty fast for the things I do.  BTW is the BD-103 Ethernet port Gigabit capable? I looked at the user docs and it doesn't seem to mention.
Nope, the BDP-103's Ethernet port is 10/100.
gsr is offline  
post #14229 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Newbie
 
bdtony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post


Nope, the BDP-103's Ethernet port is 10/100.

 

Oh well, I guess that nixes that idea. So to play really high bw content kind of stuck to a locally attached USB disk I guess.

 

Tony

bdtony is offline  
post #14230 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 10:15 AM
Member
 
MIIKE888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

I'm not seeing this behaviour via SMB. All my Blu-ray disc's are backed-up to the .MKV container and are stored on external NTFS formatted HDDs, which are connected to my Synology DS212+ NAS via USB3. All my switch-gear is 10/100...

I've just played some high bit-rate scenes from Avatar, Avengers Assemble and Cloud Atlas without any issues. And my 60Mbps test samples (in .MKV and .M2TS) also play okay.

Hi!

Thats really weird….because my friend has the same problem as me and he has a different router.

30mbps throught SMB and 90mbps trought NFS.

But hey!….if it works for you then its great!smile.gif
MIIKE888 is offline  
post #14231 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIIKE888 View Post

Hi!

Thats really weird….because my friend has the same problem as me and he has a different router.

30mbps throught SMB and 90mbps trought NFS.

But hey!….if it works for you then its great!smile.gif
I don't connect my devices through a router. I connect them through 16-port and 8-port 10/100 switches. Like this: -


I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #14232 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Has anyone tried installing a NFS server on a Windows 7 or Windows 8 system? Any recommendations? I know there's one from HaneWin, which isn't free, and another called FreeNFS. Depending on how difficult these are to setup, it may be a viable solution for people who are having issues connecting to SMB shares with Windows 7 or are using Windows 8. I'd like to have a bit of direct experience with this in the beta test group, so we might be able to provide some useful advice.

Win 7 Ultimate and Enterprise versions have built in NFS services.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #14233 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
fatherom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Boston area, MA
Posts: 984
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdtony View Post

Oh well, I guess that nixes that idea. So to play really high bw content kind of stuck to a locally attached USB disk I guess.

Tony

Why? Blu-Ray content is only, at the most, 50mbps.


Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
fatherom is offline  
post #14234 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Very odd problem with an audio CD: This CD plays perfectly on my two other players (Marantz CD-5004 and Denon DVD-3910). However, on the Oppo, Track 1 plays fine, but Track 2 onwards seem to be afflicted with lots of errors--all I know is that there is a lot of static that plays along with the music on the remaining tracks. It's a pristine, clean disc--no visible scratches or marks. It's on the Delos label, which is NOT a label afflicted with bronzing and which did not use the infamous Sony copy protection ("rootkit") scheme.

I thought I would try to make a copy of the disc on my Windows PC, but using foobar2000, the program hangs ("Not Responding"). I couldn't even get the CD drawer to open without first shutting down the PC. Same thing happened with Exact AudioCopy. Finally, I tried to copy the disc with these same two programs on another Windows PC--same thing occurred.

So I have a CD that plays fine on two players, sounds messed up through the Oppo, and crashes computers!

By the way, I am using the Oppo's HDMI1 and HDMI2 outputs -- same issue with both. I also tried the analog outputs and had the same issue.

Any thoughts on what's wrong, or on what else I can try to copy this disc?

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
pbarach is offline  
post #14235 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Newbie
 
rchurch7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zybar View Post

I am a long time Denon 3808 owner and the unit has worked flawlessly in my HT for years. In the past few weeks I purchased an Epson 6020 pj (to replace my 3 yr old Epson 8500UB) and an Oppo 103. My plan was to run the HDMI 1 output from the Oppo to the pj so I can get 3D video and to have HDMI 2 ouput to the 3808 for audio only. On paper this looked like a great solution to extend the life of the 3808 and not replace it.

However, when I tried this last night I was able to get the picture working fine, but no audio. :-(

I played around in both the Denon 3808 and Oppo 103 menus, but still no audio.

I really want this to work as I don't want to buy a newer Denon AVR just so I can have 3D video.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help and input.

George

I have almost the same setup, Oppo BDP-103, Denon 3808 and Epson 5030UB. Everything worked fine for me with the video going to the pj and audio to the Denon. Did you set the Oppo to send Audio over HDMI rather than mirror mode? Also, make sure you don't have the HDMI output reversed on the Oppo. You will still get a picture on the PJ but no audio if you have HDMI 1 from the Oppo going to your Denon.
rchurch7 is offline  
post #14236 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 01:15 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,436
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Win 7 Ultimate and Enterprise versions have built in NFS services.
I've got Win 7 Ultimate, but haven't been able to locate a NFS service anywhere, including the Add/Remove Windows features. Any idea how to set it up? Perhaps we could move this to the other forum and report back here later...
gsr is offline  
post #14237 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Very odd problem with an audio CD: This CD plays perfectly on my two other players (Marantz CD-5004 and Denon DVD-3910). However, on the Oppo, Track 1 plays fine, but Track 2 onwards seem to be afflicted with lots of errors--all I know is that there is a lot of static that plays along with the music on the remaining tracks. It's a pristine, clean disc--no visible scratches or marks. It's on the Delos label, which is NOT a label afflicted with bronzing and which did not use the infamous Sony copy protection ("rootkit") scheme.

I thought I would try to make a copy of the disc on my Windows PC, but using foobar2000, the program hangs ("Not Responding"). I couldn't even get the CD drawer to open without first shutting down the PC. Same thing happened with Exact AudioCopy. Finally, I tried to copy the disc with these same two programs on another Windows PC--same thing occurred.

So I have a CD that plays fine on two players, sounds messed up through the Oppo, and crashes computers!

By the way, I am using the Oppo's HDMI1 and HDMI2 outputs -- same issue with both. I also tried the analog outputs and had the same issue.

Any thoughts on what's wrong, or on what else I can try to copy this disc?

You have perfectly described an unreadable audio CD. Crackles and static during playback is the sound of unreadable sectors. The fact that it hangs your PC drives further supports that. Some drives will play it and some won't, which is expected. You see that pretty regular with recordable CDs, less often with store-bought discs.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #14238 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I've got Win 7 Ultimate, but haven't been able to locate a NFS service anywhere, including the Add/Remove Windows features. Any idea how to set it up? Perhaps we could move this to the other forum and report back here later...

In "turn Windows features on and off", you should see an entry for "Services for NFS". If its not there I don't know what.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #14239 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

You have perfectly described an unreadable audio CD. Crackles and static during playback is the sound of unreadable sectors. The fact that it hangs your PC drives further supports that. Some drives will play it and some won't, which is expected. You see that pretty regular with recordable CDs, less often with store-bought discs.

Curses! Never happened to me before... Usually when a disc is messed up, Exact AudioCopy will show the unreadable tracks--but it crashed the program. Thanks for the info--I just ordered a new copy.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
pbarach is offline  
post #14240 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 02:25 PM
Newbie
 
macnewbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apologies if this is not the correct place to ask, I don't frequent the forum that often. If that is the case please point me in the right direction. I have searched the forum and exhausted my google-fu without much luck.

The problem I am running into is the following:

I have a BDP-103 connected to a Denon AVR-X4000 receiver via HDMI. The Receiver is also connected to my TV via HDMI. When I play a Blu-Ray disc everything works fine. However I cannot get a DVD (or the Oppo main menu) to display on my TV. When I play a DVD the sound works, but no video.

I have the BDP-103 video setting on Dual HDMI. I am pretty certain this is a configuration problem somewhere, but I really do not understand the interactions between multiple pieces well enough to fix it on my own. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? I can easily provide any additional details.

Thanks in advance!

Mac
macnewbie is offline  
post #14241 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

I thought I would try to make a copy of the disc on my Windows PC, but using foobar2000, the program hangs ("Not Responding"). I couldn't even get the CD drawer to open without first shutting down the PC. Same thing happened with Exact AudioCopy. Finally, I tried to copy the disc with these same two programs on another Windows PC--same thing occurred.
Try using ImgBurn to 'Create image file from disc'. And use ImgBurn again to 'Write image file to disc'...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #14242 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Senior Member
 
praz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

If you want DSD from SACD you need to use HDMI2. For LPCM both HDMI will work.

This restriction is removed on the -103D, by the way.

-Bill

Thanks Bill. So really no restrictions at all.
praz is offline  
post #14243 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 03:18 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,154
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnewbie View Post

Apologies if this is not the correct place to ask, I don't frequent the forum that often. If that is the case please point me in the right direction. I have searched the forum and exhausted my google-fu without much luck.

The problem I am running into is the following:

I have a BDP-103 connected to a Denon AVR-X4000 receiver via HDMI. The Receiver is also connected to my TV via HDMI. When I play a Blu-Ray disc everything works fine. However I cannot get a DVD (or the Oppo main menu) to display on my TV. When I play a DVD the sound works, but no video.

I have the BDP-103 video setting on Dual HDMI. I am pretty certain this is a configuration problem somewhere, but I really do not understand the interactions between multiple pieces well enough to fix it on my own. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? I can easily provide any additional details.

Thanks in advance!

Mac

Welcome to AVSForum.

What model is the TV?

What is the player output resolution set to? If Source Direct, try 1080p. It could be your AVR or TV are not liking 480i60 over HDMI, which is what Source Direct for DVD will produce.

If you are using 1080p, do you have 1080p24 off or on? Switch it to other and see if that makes a difference.

-Bill
wmcclain is offline  
post #14244 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
DSperber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Marina Del Rey, CA, USA
Posts: 5,415
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

I don't connect my devices through a router. I connect them through 16-port and 8-port 10/100 switches.
Certainly a reasonable approach, although putting your computers on this 10/100 switch network limits them. Is this switch gigabit on the upstream connection, but 10/100 for the 16 ports below it??

The only potential "downside" to this approach (not that it will probably ever come to light given most equipment used in your LAN) is that each "branch" off of the router and 10/100 switches is itself limited to total 100MB bandwidth simultaneously being used by ALL of the devices underneath it.

So your entire LAN is actually limited to 1GB total combined in-use speed from that router port but in reality is limited to 100MB because the switch is 10/100, even though the router could theoretically support 4x1GB. Again, I realize this is probably NEVER going to be a problem, but it is the result of using only one port on the router and connecting it to a "slow-speed" 10/100 16-port switch to really control your entire LAN.

Then, below your 10/100 16-port switch (which itself supports a total of 100MB simultaneous bandwidth you have an 8-port switch which again is limited to a total of 100MB for all of the devices it supports because it's upstream-connected to a 10/100 port of the 16-port switch. And of course all devices connected to the 8-port switch combine (when in use) and are further subject to the total of 100MB capacity of the one port of the 16-port 10/100 switch above it which itself is limited to 100MB total bandwidth for all 16 ports (since it's a 10/100 switch).

In my own setup, I have my two desktops and one laptop (all of which have gigabit NIC's) connected to three ports of my gigabit router. While external access to the Internet is obviously limited to my ISP service, within the LAN (e.g. PC-to-PC) these three devices can operate at gigabit speeds. Then the fourth port of the router goes to the first of my GS105 4-port gigabit switches (same as your 16-port switch), which supports up to three "devices local to that first GS105" and the fourth port then feeding a second GS105 (same as your 8-port switch) and up to three more "devices local to that second GS105". Note that NONE of the devices connected to either of the GS105's are themselves faster than 10/100. None are gigabit-capable. But in total, if they were all in use simultaneously they could theoretically add up to more than 100MB. And that's the advantage of using gigabit switches connecting to a gigabit router or a gigabit port of an upstream gigabit switch. The total simultaneous in-use of multiple 10/100 devices can theoretically exceed 100MB, which would be a serious issue impacting device performance. That's why gigabit switches vs. 10/100 switches are the right way to go, in my opinion.

In other words, I'd prefer to use the ports of the router for gigabit-capable devices, and send all of the downstream 10/100 devices through the gigabit switches running off of one gigabit port of the router. I wouldn't want to "only potentially" limit my PCs ability to talk to each other at gigabit speeds (because I'd connected them on slow-speed 10/100 switches) because of other simultaneous activity (e.g. streaming HDTV from my WMC HTPC to extenders/HDTV's around my house) that might be going on from other devices on the LAN... though I realize these are all slow-speed 10/100 devices. It's the total bandwidth being used simultaneously by a switch (i.e. by all connected devices underneath it) and its upstream maximum capability (either to an upstream switch port or router port) which impacts everything's performance.
DSperber is online now  
post #14245 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 04:12 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,436
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

In "turn Windows features on and off", you should see an entry for "Services for NFS". If its not there I don't know what.
I had somehow managed to miss that last night, but it turns out that "Services for NFS" installs a NFS client service for connecting to NFS shares, not a service for providing NFS shares from Windows.
gsr is offline  
post #14246 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 2,505
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

I don't connect my devices through a router. I connect them through 16-port and 8-port 10/100 switches. Like this: -


Actually you are, your cable modem / router is a router and is managing your network. Your switches are unmanaged and just extend the router's connectivity.
hernanu is offline  
post #14247 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 07:11 PM
Newbie
 
macnewbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Welcome to AVSForum.

What model is the TV?

What is the player output resolution set to? If Source Direct, try 1080p. It could be your AVR or TV are not liking 480i60 over HDMI, which is what Source Direct for DVD will produce.

If you are using 1080p, do you have 1080p24 off or on? Switch it to other and see if that makes a difference.

-Bill

Thanks for responding Bill.

The TV is a Sony KDL-5HX800. Player output resolution was set to auto but I tried 1080p and still no luck. I've tried 1080p24 both off and on.
macnewbie is offline  
post #14248 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 07:16 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,154
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnewbie View Post

Thanks for responding Bill.

The TV is a Sony KDL-5HX800. Player output resolution was set to auto but I tried 1080p and still no luck. I've tried 1080p24 both off and on.

What happens if you bypass the receiver and connect the player directly to the TV?

You are in North America and are playing domestic DVDs, not imports?

-Bill
wmcclain is offline  
post #14249 of 17991 Old 01-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Newbie
 
macnewbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What confuses me the most is that the Oppo main menu does not display either. Any ideas what kind of output the menu is?

If I bypass the receiver and connect directly to the TV everything works as expected.
macnewbie is offline  
post #14250 of 17991 Old 01-13-2014, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Certainly a reasonable approach, although putting your computers on this 10/100 switch network limits them. Is this switch gigabit on the upstream connection, but 10/100 for the 16 ports below it??
It's all 10/100 switch-gear. It's been running for around 10 years so it's probably time to upgrade the switches. Over the years it's proved most reliable. And it's still possible to play files on those rare occasions my ISP goes down.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off