gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by starchoice View Post

Would I have the same issues if I used an HDMI from the Oppo into the AVR versus analog? I'm guessing probably not because the AVR would be doing automatic switching? Can I guess that the extra settings needed to be done on the Oppo are a result of the limitations of the analog inputs into the AVR and not being able to change the sound field on them via the AVR?

Am I expecting too much from the audio analog connections, something they were not meant to do?

Lastly, does anyone have both HDMI and analong connected as inputs to the AVR? Is there any benefit to this at all? I would assume that even if done this way, it would still involve manual changes to the Oppo via the menu depending what output you wanted. Would everything be automatic again if I just used HDMI to the the AVR?
Assuming you're using the Oppo's multichannel analog outputs into the multichannel analog inputs on your AVR, most AVR's won't apply any processing to the multichannel analog inputs which would explain the issues you're running into. If you used either HDMI or one of the other digital outputs from the Oppo into your AVR, then the AVR would process those and apply the appropriate downmix needed to feed the headphone output. If you want to stick with using only the Oppo's analog outputs for audio, then you'll have to flip the Oppo audio setup around each time you switch between headphones and speakers to send the correct audio mix to your AVR.
starchoice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14312 of 18357 Old 01-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 868
^ I suspect the problem you are running into when using multi-channel Analog from the OPPO is simply that your AVR has no way to tell that only "some" of the input channels are in use.

Mono audio on discs is typically decoded as "Dual-channel Mono" -- Left and Right "stereo" channels carrying the same audio. When you feed that over HDMI your AVR knows that only two channels are coming in, and it can engage your default audio processing choice to mix that down to Center channel (or primarily Center channel) if that's your preference.

But when cabled as 5.1 or 7.1 Analog, the AVR can't know this. It may know that there is silence on the Center channel input, but it has no way of knowing that silence is not *REAL* -- that what's coming in is not ALREADY surround sound audio that happens to be silent in Center at the moment. So it can't AUTOMATICALLY engage an audio processing mode that's intended for use with stereo-only input.

You would have to engage that manually in the AVR.

Now, the 105 and 105D have a separate Stereo Analog output pair that you could hook up to a stereo input on your AVR, and when you tell the AVR to listen to that input, then of course it knows the input audio can only be stereo. The 103 and 103D do not have that. But if you are using Analog from the 103/103D only for playing stereo content, you could wire the LF/RF outputs from the OPPO to a STEREO input on the AVR and get the same result.
--Bob
starchoice likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14313 of 18357 Old 01-14-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by starchoice View Post

Would I have the same issues if I used an HDMI from the Oppo into the AVR versus analog?
As was explained in the two replies above, it's now clear that your "problems" stem from using analog output from the Oppo to the analog inputs of your AVR. Previously (or with other sources) you're using digital/HDMI inputs to the AVR.

Although I don't know about your AVR, almost certainly it just treats whatever arrives via analog as gospel, meaning it really doesn't do any downmixing of its own (unless there's a way to force that in the AVR). But for sure, it wouldn't normally do anything except pass on through the multi-channels it receives on its multi-channel analog inputs, through its amps and out its multi-speaker outputs.

In contrast, if you feed your AVR digital/HDMI now it can do all kinds of processing, including apparently the automatic downmix-to-stereo when you select "headphone output" which it knows it has to do because it was fed digital multi-channel input via HDMI from your source devices. When using its analog inputs the AVR does none of this, hence why you'd have to set "downmix to stereo" in the Oppo's speaker configuration (which controls only its multi-channel analog outputs).

So, unless you have a particular reason to use the multi-channel analog connection method from Oppo to your AVR (i.e. you wanted to use the DAC in the Oppo rather than the DAC in your AVR), if your desire to have automatic downmix-to-stereo occur when you select headphone output on your AVR is really the most important feature to you that you don't want to give up, then you shouldn't be using the analog connection method which would require you to manually change to "downmix to stereo" on the Oppo when selecting headphone output on the AVR .

Just stick with HDMI from Oppo to AVR, and there will be no difference when sourcing from the Oppo from the way things have always worked for you when selecting headphone output. Thus all of your source devices will be handled by your AVR the same way, speakers or headphones.
starchoice likes this.
post #14314 of 18357 Old 01-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhw59 View Post

Basic network question. I am setting up my 103. When I scan for netowrks, it locates my network, accepts the password and displays "success" BUT when I use the "test connection" it says no internet found. What am I missing? Signal strength is in the 70% range now and I am getting the latest Verizon router tomorrow so it will be even stronger and fully utilize my 50ish mb down. Thanks!

Wow, 50mb internet! I can only wish ours was that fast - 5-7mb tops (I live in the country).

Did your 103 update to the latest firmware when you turned it on the first time? My internet is wired to the 103 & that's the 1st thing it did.
post #14315 of 18357 Old 01-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DERG View Post

I had my 103 for a few weeks & am very pleased. I did a trial of Netflix streaming but find my internet is too slow to stream HD content so that's out.

I'm also learning new things to do with the 103. The 103 seems to have endless possibilities. I figured out how to connect with the Windows Media Player option on my PC but haven't figured out how to log in to other folders.

Under Network are file extensions to WMP & folders for Photos, Music & Video. The last 3 folders require user name & password. I'm fairly certain I'm using the correct name & password but haven't gained access. I'd prefer to setup easy access folders to view personal movies, photos & music but need advice on what I might be doing wrong? eek.gif

Any ideas?

Called Oppo today & they suggested to install oShare on my PC. That was the perfect solution.
post #14316 of 18357 Old 01-14-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Called Oppo today & they suggested to install oShare on my PC. That was the perfect solution.
Yes OShare is mindblowingly simple for sharing your content on your Windows PC network. Far simpler than any of the Microsoft solutions and seems to work flawlessly. Seriously it could not be easier to install and configure.
post #14317 of 18357 Old 01-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post

Yes OShare is mindblowingly simple for sharing your content on your Windows PC network. Far simpler than any of the Microsoft solutions and seems to work flawlessly. Seriously it could not be easier to install and configure.

I have to agree. I kept telling myself this is too simple, that nothing is this easy. But, everything worked perfectly. Actually, it seems Oppo has made everything fairly simple to understand & easy to use. It has proven to be well worth the extra money!
post #14318 of 18357 Old 01-14-2014, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

That is certainly an easy and workable choice.
Windows media is not terribly functional.

If you are going the DLNA server route (which is what OShare is) you might consider trying JRiver Media Center too, just for kicks.
It works very well with the Oppos in general, and can take advantage of the 103/105 as renderers as well as players.
There is a very nice iPad app that lets you browse your media from the iPad and then play it on the Oppo from JRiver.
This frees you to
A) Turn off your TV when listening to music. Important for folks with bulb-based projectors (to avoid burn-outs) and plasmas (to avoid burn-in).
B) Have a far more rich interface for browsing/searching your media than a LURDS remote.

I tried about a dozen DLNA servers on windows and mac with my 103, along with about a half-dozen iPad apps for control.
No other combination of the dozens I tried was anywhere near as easy or reliable as JRiver 19 and JRemote.

Not saying you got bad guidance in any way. If OShare is working for you and you are happy with it the way it is, then super!
But if you want to go another step in usability...
starchoice likes this.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #14319 of 18357 Old 01-14-2014, 01:41 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks very much DSperber, gsr and Bob Pariseau for the responses. This clarifies everything.
post #14320 of 18357 Old 01-14-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post

That is certainly an easy and workable choice.
Windows media is not terribly functional.

If you are going the DLNA server route (which is what OShare is) you might consider trying JRiver Media Center too, just for kicks.
It works very well with the Oppos in general, and can take advantage of the 103/105 as renderers as well as players.
There is a very nice iPad app that lets you browse your media from the iPad and then play it on the Oppo from JRiver.
This frees you to
A) Turn off your TV when listening to music. Important for folks with bulb-based projectors (to avoid burn-outs) and plasmas (to avoid burn-in).
B) Have a far more rich interface for browsing/searching your media than a LURDS remote.

I tried about a dozen DLNA servers on windows and mac with my 103, along with about a half-dozen iPad apps for control.
No other combination of the dozens I tried was anywhere near as easy or reliable as JRiver 19 and JRemote.

Not saying you got bad guidance in any way. If OShare is working for you and you are happy with it the way it is, then super!
But if you want to go another step in usability...

Why on earth do you want to pay for a DLNA server or remote when they are free ones out there that work perfectly with the Oppo and many other BDPs and STBs.
post #14321 of 18357 Old 01-14-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Why on earth do you want to pay for a DLNA server or remote when they are free ones out there that work perfectly with the Oppo and many other BDPs and STBs.
Because the non-free one includes a lot of other tools.
Because its remote is not generic, and is therefore both more reliable and more feature-rich than the generic DLNA controller apps for the iPod.

Have you LOOKED at JRMC? I HAVE looked, at nearly all of the big DLNA servers and controllers in dozens of combinations, even trying some on both Mac and PC platforms.

TVersity, OShare, Plex, Twonky, PS3 Media Server, Twonky Beam, Linn, name one.

The free DLNA servers don't even come close - nor do most of the other paid servers.

And while we are at it - if you are spending $500-$1000 on a BD-Player and thousands upon thousands on speakers, amp, etc., "why on earth" would you piss on the idea of spending the cost of a couple of movies to get a reliable, full-featured, fully-supported solution?

Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
post #14322 of 18357 Old 01-14-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Yup. JRMC on the Mac is complete junk. Not stable in any way and constantly crashes. Not even beta quality.
post #14323 of 18357 Old 01-14-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Yup. JRMC on the Mac is complete junk. Not stable in any way and constantly crashes. Not even beta quality.
agreed...and even what if it has gets to working well it will still be missing tons of the features of the Windows version. But if you are running Windows, which is what the person I originally responded to is running....

post #14324 of 18357 Old 01-14-2014, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

I had terrible luck with the ipad HDmediacontrol app on release firmware and beta firmware...I take it im not the only one? I would hard lock up randomly every 10 minutes or so...i really want it to work so i can leave the projector off when listening to music...is there some Wizardry that will help this out or are we waiting for new releases from oppo...?

REW...most expensive freeware ever...

post #14325 of 18357 Old 01-14-2014, 11:33 PM

Hi,

2 issues that hopefully someone can point me to solutions for.

1. My BDP-103 is hdmi connected to my Dennon x2000 which is hdmi connected to my Panasonic 65ZT60. I just updated the firm ware to BDP10x-67-1024 and now when I turn on the Oppo or hit home from another screen or start a dvd, etc the bottom 1/3 of the screen on the tv shows white vertical lines/streaks (no image visible in this white area). The image is fine above the white lines. After several seconds the screen will return to normal. Since it did not do this before the update I figure it must either be the update or a factory setting. Any suggestions?

2. I connected a usb external drive to the unit and have found several movie files that play, but with no sound. Formats with this issue include AVI, MPG, MP4 however other MPG files, etc on the same drive play video and sound fine.

Thanks,

Mark
post #14326 of 18357 Old 01-14-2014, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 172
You are likely seeing the HDCP handshakes, and instead of it showing up as a blank screen or a screen full of snow, the screen is just tearing at the bottom.

Try setting HDMI Audio to LPCM and see if the same issues occur.
post #14327 of 18357 Old 01-15-2014, 02:02 AM

Question for audiophiles.
Would I buy external DAC, such as the Rega DAC. Will there be a better sound in system?
The system is: Onkyo 3007, Oppo 103, Amp. Nad C352, Cd player Nad C 542 and complet 5.1 Monitor Audio RS speakers. Front is RS8, rear RS1.
Amp is connected via pre-out on Onkyo 3007.
For music I use CD player Nad C542,
and for Blu ray and DVD films is Oppo 103.
How to improve the sound system?
Thanks in advance.
post #14328 of 18357 Old 01-15-2014, 02:35 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dargha View Post

Hi
However when I go to the 103's home page and select network, I can see the NAS but clicking on it to drill down to the any of the folders seems to lock the 103 up, it becomes completely unresponsive, to point I have to pull the power cord out. Odd thing is that if I use a DMC app such DS video or Kinsky on an Ipad  I can see the 103 and I can then send it a moive and it plays it. It just seems that it freezes up when using its own home screen network function

This is a bug in the Oppo...

If your NAS library has very many entries in the branches of the library tree, (for example my library has over 800 albums in the "Albums" tree), then the Oppo downloads all of those entries into memory before it starts displaying anything on screen. (The Oppo does not actually freeze up -- if you wait long enough, it will come back to life once it has downloaded all entries).

I don't know why the Oppo behaves this way; the UPnP specification has a mechanism that allows large lists to be downloaded one screen page at a time. And as you observe most other devices and control points do indeed load and display one page at a time.

In my opinion this bug makes the Oppo unusable as a UPnP control point if you have any appreciable amount of stuff in your library. Most users with such a situation end up using a third party control point on a PC or a tablet (e.g. personally I use JRiver Media Center).
post #14329 of 18357 Old 01-15-2014, 02:39 AM

Quote:

Because its remote is not generic, and is therefore both more reliable and more feature-rich than the generic DLNA controller apps for the iPod.

Have you LOOKED at JRMC? I HAVE looked, at nearly all of the big DLNA servers and controllers in dozens of combinations, even trying some on both Mac and PC platforms.

The free DLNA servers don't even come close - nor do most of the other paid servers.

And while we are at it - if you are spending $500-$1000 on a BD-Player and thousands upon thousands on speakers, amp, etc., "why on earth" would you piss on the idea of spending the cost of a couple of movies to get a reliable, full-featured, fully-supported solution?

+1 smile.gif
post #14330 of 18357 Old 01-15-2014, 03:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Since updating to the newest beta firmware, the Youtube app requires me to sign in every time I start it. It works fine without a sign-in, but then it doesn't have access to my subscriptions, watchlists, etc. Anyone else noticing this?

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #14331 of 18357 Old 01-15-2014, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

This is a bug in the Oppo...

If your NAS library has very many entries in the branches of the library tree, (for example my library has over 800 albums in the "Albums" tree), then the Oppo downloads all of those entries into memory before it starts displaying anything on screen. (The Oppo does not actually freeze up -- if you wait long enough, it will come back to life once it has downloaded all entries).

I don't know why the Oppo behaves this way; the UPnP specification has a mechanism that allows large lists to be downloaded one screen page at a time. And as you observe most other devices and control points do indeed load and display one page at a time.

In my opinion this bug makes the Oppo unusable as a UPnP control point if you have any appreciable amount of stuff in your library. Most users with such a situation end up using a third party control point on a PC or a tablet (e.g. personally I use JRiver Media Center).

Thanks for answering my question.. So okay then, I suppose I'll leave for a few hours and see how we get on. I personally use synologies own app for audio, DS-Audio but haven't yet settles on one for the video side of things.

Wonder if Oppo will ever "fix" this ???????

post #14332 of 18357 Old 01-15-2014, 04:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

agreed...and even what if it has gets to working well it will still be missing tons of the features of the Windows version. But if you are running Windows, which is what the person I originally responded to is running....

I'll check out JRMC but I doubt if using this function enough will justify the extra $$. Then again... the 103 opens many doors that I wasn't aware of so maybe I'll use this more that I anticipated. We have our home theater located in our basement with a projector & all. It's nice to have our entire music collection at the touch of a button instead of jumping up & down changing CDs. Movies last hours so not as big of a deal. Wouldn't hurt to try it free for awhile. We'll see. Thanks for the tip!
post #14333 of 18357 Old 01-15-2014, 04:57 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic1981 View Post

2. I connected a usb external drive to the unit and have found several movie files that play, but with no sound. Formats with this issue include AVI, MPG, MP4 however other MPG files, etc on the same drive play video and sound fine.

We would need to know the audio codecs used inside those containers. There is a free utility "mediainfo" which will display that and much other useful info.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #14334 of 18357 Old 01-15-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:

So okay then, I suppose I'll leave for a few hours and see how we get on.

It should come back to life in about 5..10 minutes. If it really freezes for hours then there is definitely something else wrong.
Quote:

Wonder if Oppo will ever "fix" this ???????

You could try writing to their customer support. They are extremely helpful. I would be interested to hear their answer too...
post #14335 of 18357 Old 01-15-2014, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

I have an IR question for the 103. Can you directly connect a cable from an IR hub to the back of the 103, or do you have to use an IR receiver led.

I am asking because I have done this on other equipment ,by passed the leds and connected a mono cable from the IR out to the IR in directly, but not allequipment can be connected like this.

I am using Buffalo IR hubs.

Thanks,
Skybolt

post #14336 of 18357 Old 01-15-2014, 07:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Since updating to the newest beta firmware, the Youtube app requires me to sign in every time I start it. It works fine without a sign-in, but then it doesn't have access to my subscriptions, watchlists, etc. Anyone else noticing this?

Yes this also happens on the official December release

GoldenEar Triton One's 2
GoldenEar Triton Two's 2
GoldenEar Super Center XL 1
GoldenEar SuperSat 3 2
GoldenEar ForceField 5 1
OPPO 105, Emotiva XPA-5, Emotiva XPA-2
post #14337 of 18357 Old 01-15-2014, 08:06 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

I have an IR question for the 103. Can you directly connect a cable from an IR hub to the back of the 103, or do you have to use an IR receiver led.

I am asking because I have done this on other equipment ,by passed the leds and connected a mono cable from the IR out to the IR in directly, but not allequipment can be connected like this.

I am using Baffalo IR hubs.

Thanks,
Skybolt
That's exactly what I'm doing with Crestron IR outputs, which means it would work with Xantech IR blocks too. I would expect it to work just fine with the Buffalo IR hub.
skybolt likes this.
post #14338 of 18357 Old 01-15-2014, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

That's exactly what I'm doing with Crestron IR outputs, which means it would work with Xantech IR blocks too. I would expect it to work just fine with the Buffalo IR hub.

That's good to know, thanks. It works so well that way. I use the app on an 8" tablet as well, but structured IR is just so easy.
Yeah, the Xantech seem to be an industry standard and I think the Buffalo's are modeled after those, same power specs, at least for the four output one.

post #14339 of 18357 Old 01-15-2014, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 21
If I may ask at this point, what button do some of you use on the Harmony One that mimics the "return arrow" button from the 103 remote? Harmony One doesn't do this by default. Will this need to be setup by programming the Harmony? - hopefully both remotes setup end to end.
post #14340 of 18357 Old 01-15-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 61
As far as I can see from various images of the Harmony One, it has a 'return arrow' key located below the 'channel' up/down buttons!
ntculenuf likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page