Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2014, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else is having a problem with the beta update. I tried formatting my Cruze USB drive to Fat and then Fat 32. I downloaded the file off the Oppo sight. Made sure I had the right file name and it was in the root directory. I tired the USB drive in the front port and back port. The player shows that the USB drive was in the player but I can't get the player to find the firmware. I even went into Setup and device but the upgrade selection was grayed out. Not sure what the issue might be. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 11:45 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
^ Make sure you don't have a disc loaded in the tray, and that you are not playing other content (e.g., a media file).
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 01-23-2014, 05:08 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I installed OShare on my PC and the oppo recognized it. I was able to view movie and picture files without any issues from the oppo.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Bob,

Doesn't the USB stick need to be formatted in NTFS?

Life without bass is not worth living.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:22 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGuy View Post

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else is having a problem with the beta update. I tried formatting my Cruze USB drive to Fat and then Fat 32. I downloaded the file off the Oppo sight. Made sure I had the right file name and it was in the root directory. I tired the USB drive in the front port and back port. The player shows that the USB drive was in the player but I can't get the player to find the firmware. I even went into Setup and device but the upgrade selection was grayed out. Not sure what the issue might be. Any help is appreciated.

Also verify the player is mounting the USB stick properly. Put some media files on the stick and verify the player can see them when you select the appropriate Photo/Music/Movie icon from the Home Screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Bob,

No, that would be weird.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 01-23-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 764
My bad. Just checked my stick and it is FAT. Sorry for the bad info.frown.gif

Life without bass is not worth living.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:47 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

My bad. Just checked my stick and it is FAT. Sorry for the bad info.frown.gif

I just meant that such a requirement would be strange, as FAT is universally used for this type of work.

NTFS does work on a USB stick for media file storage, but I haven't tried firmware update. It might work. Oops, OPPO's update instructions: The USB drive must be in FAT or FAT32 format, not NTFS.

You can Backup & Restore Settings from an NTFS stick.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Old 01-23-2014, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hi,

Very stange but I was finally able to get the player to recognize the update. I guess there is a bit of an issue with this player reading my drive. After the update I set the player to split A/V and then ran an audio cable from the player to my processor. I ran HDMI 2 for audio and HDMI for video. I then tried SACD in DSD and it worked but I'm still not sure I'm splitting the signal after reading the manual. It works so I don't care and 99% of the time I will be using Analog. I'm curious with DSD is the processor doing the encoding?

I also have my directv, ps3 and Smart T.V. running into the processor and then out to the 103 and then out to the T.V. This allows me to process the video via Darbee. It does make a nice difference. I don't think it is anything you'd miss but it is nice to have. The biggest problem is that the signal is still pretty compresed from Directv.

The player is certainly well built and I like the functionality - it makes sense. I can also tell you it's a huge sound upgrade over my PS3 (fat) player. The only option I would like to see is a link to Amazon video. Are apps added at the discretion of Oppo?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:01 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGuy View Post

Are apps added at the discretion of Oppo?

OPPO has said they are always pursuing new network partners. The problem is the big guys like Amazon don't have much time for a little company like OPPO. Understandably they go for the most viewers with as little effort as they can.

Amazon is available on the Roku Streaming Stick, which you can buy at a discount from OPPO.

-Bill

Old 01-23-2014, 07:31 AM

Liked: 10
About once a month when I try going online with my computer, I cant access the internet. My 103 is hardwired to my router and as soon as i disconnect it, I can get on line. Then I reconnect the 103 and all is well for a while. Any ideas?
Old 01-23-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlst101 View Post

About once a month when I try going online with my computer, I cant access the internet. My 103 is hardwired to my router and as soon as i disconnect it, I can get on line. Then I reconnect the 103 and all is well for a while. Any ideas?

If your 103 is set for "Quick Start" mode it might be hanging your router somehow, since the network connection is live. Sounds like a router problem, if so then rebooting the router should also resolve it.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

If your 103 is set for "Quick Start" mode it might be hanging your router somehow, since the network connection is live. Sounds like a router problem, if so then rebooting the router should also resolve it.

It is in "Quick Start". Any settings suggestions for the router maybe or take it out of Quick Start?
Old 01-23-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I think I might be missing a trick... Is there a quick way to navigate to the beginning of the 'Network' GUI (where the magnifying glass icon is)? I'm a bit fed up having to press the 'return' button multiple times!

Cheers all

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 01-23-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

Bob,

I thought it needed to be formatted as FAT-32. The manual covers this.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:

It is in "Quick Start". Any settings suggestions for the router maybe or take it out of Quick Start?

Its impossible to say, short of turning off QuickStart mode. I'd say there's some polling activity in the router that's hanging because the player doesn't respond, although it should. Looking for an excuse to buy a nice new router? If turning off QuickStart fixes it, or if rebooting the router fixes the hang, then its the router AFAIK. My best guess would be that the period of time passing between powering up the Oppo might be the key.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Its impossible to say, short of turning off QuickStart mode. I'd say there's some polling activity in the router that's hanging because the player doesn't respond, although it should. Looking for an excuse to buy a nice new router? If turning off QuickStart fixes it, or if rebooting the router fixes the hang, then its the router AFAIK. My best guess would be that the period of time passing between powering up the Oppo might be the key.

As a data point, I've found that placing any of the devices in my (rather complex) home network in 'Quick Start' mode eventually results in the devices misbehaving somehow wrt to network access. Consequently, I've stopped doing this. I have a large number of devices and computers on my network and this may have something to do with it. Just seems to work better if when not in use they aren't trying to connect (also reduces unnecessary network traffic). wink.gif
Old 01-23-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:

It's a new router (6 month old ) . When I reboot the 103 all is well. I'm going to take it out of quick start and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

It's a new router (6 month old ) . When I reboot the 103 all is well. I'm going to take it out of quick start and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions.

You might also try checking your DHCP and static address settings in the router, to make sure two devices aren't conflicting.

You could also try assigning the Oppo a static IP address outside the DHCP range. I have seen this type of issue occur before: A device gets a DHCP address, and then it goes into a 'soft' sleep. Then, its DHCP address expires, and another device on the network takes the same address. When the device wakes up, it simply uses its old address even though it is expired and doesn't try to get a new one. Then, with 2 devices trying to use the same address, neither can use the network until one of them is shut off. Giving the Oppo a static address outside the DCHP range would fix it if this is the issue.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:28 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

I think I might be missing a trick... Is there a quick way to navigate to the beginning of the 'Network' GUI (where the magnifying glass icon is)? I'm a bit fed up having to press the 'return' button multiple times!

Cheers all

HOME goes to the screen just above that.

-Bill

Old 01-23-2014, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

-Bill
I thought about that too - but "Home-Right-Right-Right-Right-Enter" is really no better than "Return-Return-Return-Return-..."

(Have I ever mentioned that I hate navigation using LURDS remotes?) wink.gif

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
Old 01-23-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post

You might also try checking your DHCP and static address settings in the router, to make sure two devices aren't conflicting.

You could also try assigning the Oppo a static IP address outside the DHCP range. I have seen this type of issue occur before: A device gets a DHCP address, and then it goes into a 'soft' sleep. Then, its DHCP address expires, and another device on the network takes the same address. When the device wakes up, it simply uses its old address even though it is expired and doesn't try to get a new one. Then, with 2 devices trying to use the same address, neither can use the network until one of them is shut off. Giving the Oppo a static address outside the DCHP range would fix it if this is the issue.

Thanks for that, I'll give that a try too.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

-Bill
Yes, in a way it does.

But it does not take you to the beginning of the 'Network' GUI (where the magnifying glass icon is). It only takes you to the last place you navigated too. Which could be many folders down...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 01-23-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post

Quote:

Thanks for that, I'll give that a try too.

You might want to give a DHCP reservation a try instead of a static IP address. It acts in the same way, but in this case it tells your DHCP server in the router which address to reserve only for your Oppo. This way the DHCP server knows that it should give the Oppo and only the Oppo that address.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

You might want to give a DHCP reservation a try instead of a static IP address. It acts in the same way, but in this case it tells your DHCP server in the router which address to reserve only for your Oppo. This way the DHCP server knows that it should give the Oppo and only the Oppo that address.

I dont see DHCP reservation in my router. It's an ASUS RT-AC66R. How would I go about trying that?
Old 01-23-2014, 02:47 PM

I think I found it...assigned it just for the Oppo .Well see what happens. Thank.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:09 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post

I thought about that too - but "Home-Right-Right-Right-Right-Enter" is really no better than "Return-Return-Return-Return-..."

(Have I ever mentioned that I hate navigation using LURDS remotes?) wink.gif
But "Home-Left-Left-Enter" (I think that's the correct number of lefts, I'm not sitting in front of the player UI at the moment) might be biggrin.gif.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

But "Home-Left-Left-Enter" (I think that's the correct number of lefts, I'm not sitting in front of the player UI at the moment) might be biggrin.gif.
If you guys can hear a dull thudding sound. That's me banging my head against a brick wall wink.gif

By-the-way I'm just watching Blues Brothers on Blu-ray. I can't believe I first saw this at the movies in 1980 eek.gif

Old 01-23-2014, 06:34 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:

If you guys can hear a dull thudding sound. That's me banging my head against a brick wall wink.gif

By-the-way I'm just watching Blues Brothers on Blu-ray. I can't believe I first saw this at the movies in 1980 eek.gif

Let me save you all a bunch of trouble - the BLUE button.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post

Let me save you all a bunch of trouble - the BLUE button.
Many, many thanks... You've made me very happy biggrin.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong but this information does not seem to appear within the User Manual (v1.6) or Bills unofficial FAQ

Cheers and many thanks again
lanping09 likes this.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:03 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Many, many thanks... You've made me very happy biggrin.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong but this information does not seem to appear within the User Manual (v1.6) or Bills unofficial FAQ

Cheers and many thanks again

Never heard of it! I'll add it to the FAQ under "hidden features".

-Bill

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc