Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 487 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 299Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14581 of 19512 Old 01-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Member
 
winston99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Personally, I would replace the HDMI cables. The standard length is 6'. I have a 15ft run from my STB to my OPPO and 15ft back to the TV. I use HDMI cables with Redmere Technology from Monoprice. I haven’t had any problems.

I was going to buy another redmere because of their thinness and Monoprice chat tech told me Saturday they recommend redmere be used only for the last leg, as in the final destination as in the tv or projector. I was a little confused but have not researched it further, I may have misunderstood him.
winston99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14582 of 19512 Old 01-27-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston99 View Post

I was going to buy another redmere because of their thinness and Monoprice chat tech told me Saturday they recommend redmere be used only for the last leg, as in the final destination as in the tv or projector. I was a little confused but have not researched it further, I may have misunderstood him.

I've used mine for almost a year and have had no problems with anything. Just that annoying HDMI handshake.

Life without bass is not worth living.
Mongo171 is offline  
post #14583 of 19512 Old 01-27-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post

Solved! Setting my Panny 3 auto detection to off and image distortion no longer occurs. Still amazed that Panasonic support did not suggest this in multiple support calls. Thanks for everyone's help!

T

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just goes to show that tech support isn't always correct.

Life without bass is not worth living.
Mongo171 is offline  
post #14584 of 19512 Old 01-27-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,868
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston99 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Personally, I would replace the HDMI cables. The standard length is 6'. I have a 15ft run from my STB to my OPPO and 15ft back to the TV. I use HDMI cables with Redmere Technology from Monoprice. I haven’t had any problems.

I was going to buy another redmere because of their thinness and Monoprice chat tech told me Saturday they recommend redmere be used only for the last leg, as in the final destination as in the tv or projector. I was a little confused but have not researched it further, I may have misunderstood him.
What I understand is that the devices that receive HDMI cable signals modify the incoming signal to compensate for the expected signal loss over a 6' cable. The Redmere cables are active and add their own compensation to the signal for the extra length of the cable run over six feet.

Monoprice recommends not using two Redmere cables in the same signal path to avoid complications that are hard to diagnose. I don't think that they are saying that you are sure to have problems, but that it's safer to avoid complicating the signal path from source to display with more than one active cable.
chidancer likes this.
htwaits is offline  
post #14585 of 19512 Old 01-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Member
 
Tgterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all -

I am streaming over wifi with my 103. Occasionally the audio cuts out for a second or two, usually followed by a loud pop. Is this an anomaly attributable to wifi streaming? Before I go out and pick up a really long ethernet cable to test this further, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of thing.

Thanks very much!

T

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Tgterm is offline  
post #14586 of 19512 Old 01-27-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 2,755
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Which firmware do you have? The lastest beta firmware, IIRC, addresses this issue.

JazzGuyy is offline  
post #14587 of 19512 Old 01-27-2014, 02:12 PM
Senior Member
 
westmd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 469
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I wonder if any of the OPPO BDP103 owners ever compared the 7.1 analouge out against a BDP 105 analouge out for movie listening and what the result was. In the 105 owners thread most people think it would not make a difference. Oppo themselves stated that the 105 would be more dynamic. I am just wondering if it would make sense to go from the 103 to the 105 and sending my preamp (lexicon MV5) into retirement by connecting the 105 directly to my amps.
westmd is offline  
post #14588 of 19512 Old 01-27-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 2,068
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by westmd View Post

I wonder if any of the OPPO BDP103 owners ever compared the 7.1 analouge out against a BDP 105 analouge out for movie listening and what the result was. In the 105 owners thread most people think it would not make a difference. Oppo themselves stated that the 105 would be more dynamic. I am just wondering if it would make sense to go from the 103 to the 105 and sending my preamp (lexicon MV5) into retirement by connecting the 105 directly to my amps.

My old preamp didn't have HDMI. When I got my 105, I sold it and ran right from my 105 to my amp. Sonic bliss ever since.

Life without bass is not worth living.
Mongo171 is offline  
post #14589 of 19512 Old 01-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Member
 
pandy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Someone told me that even with this player, the HDCD only works through the analog outs. Is that true? To me, it sounds better through the HDMI.

pandy4 is offline  
post #14590 of 19512 Old 01-27-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy4 View Post

Someone told me that even with this player, the HDCD only works through the analog outs. Is that true?

Not true. If your AVR does not decode HDCD, set the player to decode it. You should note a ~6db drop in volume. If your AVR does decode HDCD, set the player's decoding to off.
There are cases where an AVR will not play nice with un-decoded HDCD over HDMI, in which case you should also set the player to decode. There are other cases where an AVR will not play nice with decoded (20-bit) HDCD over HDMI, in which case you're on your own.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #14591 of 19512 Old 01-27-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Notts, UK
Posts: 1,841
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy4 View Post

Someone told me that even with this player, the HDCD only works through the analog outs. Is that true? To me, it sounds better through the HDMI.
Well.... I can confirm that if you have an audio CD that contains HDCD flagging, the HDCD icon on the Oppo will illuminate wink.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #14592 of 19512 Old 01-27-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Lloyd-TX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bellaire & Sugar Land, Texas
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

What I understand is that the devices that receive HDMI cable signals modify the incoming signal to compensate for the expected signal loss over a 6' cable. The Redmere cables are active and add their own compensation to the signal for the extra length of the cable run over six feet.

Monoprice recommends not using two Redmere cables in the same signal path to avoid complications that are hard to diagnose. I don't think that they are saying that you are sure to have problems, but that it's safer to avoid complicating the signal path from source to display with more than one active cable.

Hmmm - I did not realize that Monoprice recommended against more than one Redmere HDMI cable per "path".

FWIW, I'm running 6' Monoprice Redmere cables from my Oppo 103 and my HD cable STB to my RX-Z7 receiver, then a 10' Redmere cable from the Z7 to my Panny 65V10 display. Everything has been rock-solid and trouble free since I went to the Redmere cables three months or so back.

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

Lloyd-TX is offline  
post #14593 of 19512 Old 01-27-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,868
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

What I understand is that the devices that receive HDMI cable signals modify the incoming signal to compensate for the expected signal loss over a 6' cable. The Redmere cables are active and add their own compensation to the signal for the extra length of the cable run over six feet.

Monoprice recommends not using two Redmere cables in the same signal path to avoid complications that are hard to diagnose. I don't think that they are saying that you are sure to have problems, but that it's safer to avoid complicating the signal path from source to display with more than one active cable.

Hmmm - I did not realize that Monoprice recommended against more than one Redmere HDMI cable per "path".

FWIW, I'm running 6' Monoprice Redmere cables from my Oppo 103 and my HD cable STB to my RX-Z7 receiver, then a 10' Redmere cable from the Z7 to my Panny 65V10 display. Everything has been rock-solid and trouble free since I went to the Redmere cables three months or so back.
You're not the only one. Monoprice must be trying to error on the safe side. They also recommend 24 AWG HDMI in situations where I've used 28 AWG and 36 AWG passive HDMI cables with great stability.
htwaits is offline  
post #14594 of 19512 Old 01-27-2014, 05:33 PM
Member
 
Tgterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

Which firmware do you have? The lastest beta firmware, IIRC, addresses this issue.

Not sure if this question is directed at me, but if it is I am on the latest 'official' release (bdp10x-67-1204) not the latest public beta release. I looked at the release notes (not sure if they were comprehensive) on the oppo site and nothing jumped out as a fix to my issue, but I am not sure.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tgterm is offline  
post #14595 of 19512 Old 01-27-2014, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
HomeGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a question about splitting the audio and video. Is there anything to be gained? I have it setup like that now and I notice that Directv is sometimes slow to connect. I've always ran it like that so I don't know if going to one cable would help.
HomeGuy is offline  
post #14596 of 19512 Old 01-27-2014, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 2,755
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post

Not sure if this question is directed at me, but if it is I am on the latest 'official' release (bdp10x-67-1204) not the latest public beta release. I looked at the release notes (not sure if they were comprehensive) on the oppo site and nothing jumped out as a fix to my issue, but I am not sure.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is something in the beta description about addressing staticky noise in some files. Don't know if that is your specific problem.

JazzGuyy is offline  
post #14597 of 19512 Old 01-27-2014, 08:03 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,868
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGuy View Post

I have a question about splitting the audio and video. Is there anything to be gained? I have it setup like that now and I notice that Directv is sometimes slow to connect. I've always ran it like that so I don't know if going to one cable would help.
Unless you have to get around an AVR because it doesn't pass 3D or have some other special situation, there is no audio or video quality gained by using two HDMI outputs.
htwaits is offline  
post #14598 of 19512 Old 01-28-2014, 06:59 AM
Member
 
Tgterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Hi -

 

I was hoping for some second opinions...

 

I have contacted OPPO about the occasional loud pop / momentary audio loss I have been experiencing when streaming Netflix over wifi with the 103.  Their troubleshooting has focused on my audio connection...

 

I have a Marantz SR7300OSE...an older receiver without HDMI inputs(!), so I have the OPPO connected via optical audio, set at Bitstream.  They are claiming that I should, instead, use the analog audio connections as they are better...first opinion I am looking for...do you agree with that?

 

When I did a quick compare between my 7.1 analog input vs. the optical through the OPPO, I thought the optical sounded much better...so perhaps I have a speaker configuration issue.  I found optical to be louder and much fuller sounding...and have always had difficulty getting enough sub into my mix with analog. 

 

Which leads me to my next question - I can configure my analog speaker config with the Marantz or with the OPPO...which one supersedes the other?  Should I have the Marantz all set to 0, and use the OPPO to configure the speakers...or vice versa?  How does the system know which to apply?

 

Last question - does anyone believe that the occasional loud pop / momentary audio loss I have been experiencing when streaming Netflix over wifi has anything to do with my audio going bitstream over an optical cable?

 

Thanks very much!

 

T

Tgterm is offline  
post #14599 of 19512 Old 01-28-2014, 07:28 AM
Senior Member
 
praz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

If you want DSD from SACD you need to use HDMI2. For LPCM both HDMI will work.

This restriction is removed on the -103D, by the way.

-Bill

Another question. I will use LPCM for SACD so that Audyssey will not be bypassed at the receiver. I guess deciding what to do is based on the undefeatable NR on HDMI output 1. As I wrote earlier I will use the player as a transport only. Is the NR something to be concerned about if using output 1 and if so is there any downside to using output 2 for DVD, Blu-ray, SACD and DVD-A? I can also go with the 103D so that HDMI output 1 can be used without NR but I will not be using the Darbee processing as I already have a Darblet.
praz is offline  
post #14600 of 19512 Old 01-28-2014, 07:37 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,809
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post

Another question. I will use LPCM for SACD so that Audyssey will not be bypassed at the receiver. I guess deciding what to do is based on the undefeatable NR on HDMI output 1. As I wrote earlier I will use the player as a transport only. Is the NR something to be concerned about if using output 1 and if so is there any downside to using output 2 for DVD, Blu-ray, SACD and DVD-A? I can also go with the 103D so that HDMI output 1 can be used without NR but I will not be using the Darbee processing as I already have a Darblet.

Do you not have one of these players at present? The best course is to try the alternatives yourself rather than depend on what other people say.

"NR something to be concerned about": for some people it is, for some it isn't. It has not troubled me.

For transport only, there is no down side to HDM2 on the -103.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is offline  
post #14601 of 19512 Old 01-28-2014, 07:37 AM
Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have the same receiver, and that used to be my setup before getting a new receiver.

IMHO, you are comparing the DACs between boxes, and the OPPO definitely has the upper hand. Beyond Netflix, you'd benefit greatly by having the OPPO handle the audio decoding. On bluray, for example, it can decode a DTS-HD or TrueHD signal and pass the full analog range to the receiver to play. With optical, you can't pass a HD audio stream to the Marantz, only regular DTS and Dolby. So you're missing out on the full audio experience.

Whether or not it "sounds better" could have to do with a number of factors. Are you using decent interconnects? Do you have other settings impacting the sound that maybe you aren't aware of being active? I'd put the receiver on "Direct Sound" with zero processing and start from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post

Hi -

\
I have a Marantz SR7300OSE...an older receiver without HDMI inputs(!), so I have the OPPO connected via optical audio, set at Bitstream.  They are claiming that I should, instead, use the analog audio connections as they are better...first opinion I am looking for...do you agree with that?

When I did a quick compare between my 7.1 analog input vs. the optical through the OPPO, I thought the optical sounded much better...so perhaps I have a speaker configuration issue.  I found optical to be louder and much fuller sounding...and have always had difficulty getting enough sub into my mix with analog. 

Which leads me to my next question - I can configure my analog speaker config with the Marantz or with the OPPO...which one supersedes the other?  Should I have the Marantz all set to 0, and use the OPPO to configure the speakers...or vice versa?  How does the system know which to apply?

T

Media Room: Epson 5030 / Onkyo NR-709 / OPPO-103
Paradigm Mini Monitors v2 / Atoms (rears) / CC-370
Den: Samsung 59D6500 Plasma & Monoprice in-walls
Server: WHS2011, i5 2500k CPU
HTPC1:Win8 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
HTPC2:Win8 Pro 64-bit, i3 2105, Radeon 6770
ckronengold is offline  
post #14602 of 19512 Old 01-28-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
hernanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston Suburbs
Posts: 2,696
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post

Hi -

I was hoping for some second opinions...

I have contacted OPPO about the occasional loud pop / momentary audio loss I have been experiencing when streaming Netflix over wifi with the 103.  Their troubleshooting has focused on my audio connection...

I have a Marantz SR7300OSE...an older receiver without HDMI inputs(!), so I have the OPPO connected via optical audio, set at Bitstream.  They are claiming that I should, instead, use the analog audio connections as they are better...first opinion I am looking for...do you agree with that?

I agree with Oppo.

The optical link has inherent limitations that prevent you from using the 103 to its full audio capabilities. Most bluray titles now provide a soundtrack that is lossless (TrueHD, DTS-HD-MA). This means you get the exact sound from the title as recorded. The other alternatives (DTS, Dolby Digital) are lossy, which means that in their mode of compression, some of the audio information is discarded, never to be regained. Your digital (optical) connection can't do the lossless formats.

The analog connection allows you to play lossless sound, since the translation is done within the player, and you get the audio signals directly through the analog connections.

Another drawback is that some audio formats are excluded by design from the optical connection. SACD (another lossless format, this time just for music), is precluded from playing through the connection. This is not an issue for the analog connections, since the decoding is done in the player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post


When I did a quick compare between my 7.1 analog input vs. the optical through the OPPO, I thought the optical sounded much better...so perhaps I have a speaker configuration issue.  I found optical to be louder and much fuller sounding...and have always had difficulty getting enough sub into my mix with analog. 

The reason for that is that it's designed that way. This article explains it very well:

The long and short of it is that when the sound is mixed for LFE and in some cases with the sub itself, those signals are lowered. In the case of LFE it can be -10db, for the sub by -5db.

This is transparent for digital signals (like the optical link and for HDMI), since the decoder inside of your Marantz (and most others) automatically boosts the incoming signal. On analog, once the signal is decoded and put on the analog connections, the sub is 10 to 15 db lower in comparison.

So you have to make up the difference at the receiver the sub signal needs to be boosted, so either take a meter and match it appropriately or do it by ear, but boost the sub's channel using your receiver's settings.

The speaker configuration should be done on the 103.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post

Which leads me to my next question - I can configure my analog speaker config with the Marantz or with the OPPO...which one supersedes the other?  Should I have the Marantz all set to 0, and use the OPPO to configure the speakers...or vice versa?  How does the system know which to apply?

The Oppo. You do need to tell the receiver what configuration you have, etc. but I don't think it does any processing of the input analog signals (some rare receivers do).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post

Last question - does anyone believe that the occasional loud pop / momentary audio loss I have been experiencing when streaming Netflix over wifi has anything to do with my audio going bitstream over an optical cable?

Thanks very much!

T

No idea on this.
hernanu is offline  
post #14603 of 19512 Old 01-28-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Notts, UK
Posts: 1,841
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Most of Netflix's 'HD' movies use 5.1 channel Dolby Digital Plus audio complete with an 640Kbps Dolby Digital 'core', which are both 'lossy'.

You Marantz amp might not like decoding Dolby Digital at 640Kbps via SPDIF, it more likely favours the DVD standard bit-rate of 448Kbps...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #14604 of 19512 Old 01-28-2014, 08:46 AM
Senior Member
 
praz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Do you not have one of these players at present? The best course is to try the alternatives yourself rather than depend on what other people say.

"NR something to be concerned about": for some people it is, for some it isn't. It has not troubled me.

For transport only, there is no down side to HDM2 on the -103.

-Bill

No I do not have an OPPO yet. Currently I use a Panasonic for Blu-ray and a older Pioneer Elite for DVD, SACD and DVD-A. The Elite is starting to have freezing issues with some newer DVDs so I'm looking for a replacement. Needing source direct to feed to my Radiance and SACD/DVA-A capability limits my choice of a replacement player. The below info in the FAQ was confusing me as to the use of HDMI output but rereading it seems to only apply when using both outputs. So it sounds as if using output 2 will work well for me. Thanks again.
Quote:
HDMI1 outputs video at the highest possible resolution and mutes audio. (Or: HDMI1 will always have the best video but may not have audio in certain cases, such as when HDMI2 is doing HD audio bitstreaming).

HDMI2 outputs video at a resolution that can sufficiently carry the best audio. It will always have audio but video is delivered on a "best effort" basis -- in some cases (such as when 3D is sent over HDMI1 but the HDMI2 device does not support 3D), a black screen will be sent to HDMI2.
praz is offline  
post #14605 of 19512 Old 01-28-2014, 11:06 AM
Member
 
lorenmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a BPD-103 or BPD-103D and I was hoping that some of you knowledgeable owners would be able to confirm the following.

  1. The BDP-103 or 103D will stream, over SMB, MKV files that contain full quality Blu-Ray rips with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio tracks.
  2. The BDP-103 or 103D supports MKV files that contain PGS subtitle tracks.
  3. Cinavia detection still does not happen for MKV files over SMB

From reading various threads and FAQs it's my understanding that with current firmware the above statements are true but I would appreciate a definite 'yes' or 'no'.

Thanks
lorenmc is offline  
post #14606 of 19512 Old 01-28-2014, 11:41 AM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,809
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenmc View Post

I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a BPD-103 or BPD-103D and I was hoping that some of you knowledgeable owners would be able to confirm the following.

  1. The BDP-103 or 103D will stream, over SMB, MKV files that contain full quality Blu-Ray rips with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio tracks.
  2. The BDP-103 or 103D supports MKV files that contain PGS subtitle tracks.
  3. Cinavia detection still does not happen for MKV files over SMB

From reading various threads and FAQs it's my understanding that with current firmware the above statements are true but I would appreciate a definite 'yes' or 'no'.

Thanks

All true.

-Bill
AlexanderDelarg likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is offline  
post #14607 of 19512 Old 01-28-2014, 11:56 AM
Member
 
lorenmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

All true.

-Bill

Thanks Bill. I appreciate the Unofficial FAQ you put together as well.
lorenmc is offline  
post #14608 of 19512 Old 01-28-2014, 12:03 PM
Member
 
Tgterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckronengold View Post

I have the same receiver, and that used to be my setup before getting a new receiver.

IMHO, you are comparing the DACs between boxes, and the OPPO definitely has the upper hand. Beyond Netflix, you'd benefit greatly by having the OPPO handle the audio decoding. On bluray, for example, it can decode a DTS-HD or TrueHD signal and pass the full analog range to the receiver to play. With optical, you can't pass a HD audio stream to the Marantz, only regular DTS and Dolby. So you're missing out on the full audio experience.

Whether or not it "sounds better" could have to do with a number of factors. Are you using decent interconnects? Do you have other settings impacting the sound that maybe you aren't aware of being active? I'd put the receiver on "Direct Sound" with zero processing and start from there.


Thanks for the information.  By 'Direct Sound' do you mean 'Source Direct' on the Marantz?  I will have to look at that when I get home...do you know if you can set it to Source Direct on a input by input basis?  E.g., have it set to Source Direct on the DVD player or 7.1 channel input on the Marantz, but use the Marantz's DAC for DirecTV for instance? 

 

Thanks.

 

T

Tgterm is offline  
post #14609 of 19512 Old 01-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Member
 
Tgterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post


I agree with Oppo.

The optical link has inherent limitations that prevent you from using the 103 to its full audio capabilities. Most bluray titles now provide a soundtrack that is lossless (TrueHD, DTS-HD-MA). This means you get the exact sound from the title as recorded. The other alternatives (DTS, Dolby Digital) are lossy, which means that in their mode of compression, some of the audio information is discarded, never to be regained. Your digital (optical) connection can't do the lossless formats.

The analog connection allows you to play lossless sound, since the translation is done within the player, and you get the audio signals directly through the analog connections.

Another drawback is that some audio formats are excluded by design from the optical connection. SACD (another lossless format, this time just for music), is precluded from playing through the connection. This is not an issue for the analog connections, since the decoding is done in the player.
The reason for that is that it's designed that way. This article explains it very well:

The long and short of it is that when the sound is mixed for LFE and in some cases with the sub itself, those signals are lowered. In the case of LFE it can be -10db, for the sub by -5db.

This is transparent for digital signals (like the optical link and for HDMI), since the decoder inside of your Marantz (and most others) automatically boosts the incoming signal. On analog, once the signal is decoded and put on the analog connections, the sub is 10 to 15 db lower in comparison.

So you have to make up the difference at the receiver the sub signal needs to be boosted, so either take a meter and match it appropriately or do it by ear, but boost the sub's channel using your receiver's settings.

The speaker configuration should be done on the 103.
The Oppo. You do need to tell the receiver what configuration you have, etc. but I don't think it does any processing of the input analog signals (some rare receivers do).
No idea on this.

 

Great info, thanks!  A bit confused, so I probably have some dumb questions...

 

"On analog, once the signal is decoded and put on the analog connections, the sub is 10 to 15 db lower in comparison.

So you have to make up the difference at the receiver the sub signal needs to be boosted, so either take a meter and match it appropriately or do it by ear, but boost the sub's channel using your receiver's settings."

 

When you say "make up the difference at the receiver", if I figure out a way to bypass the receiver's DAC (might be this Source Direct thing...need to look into it) would I then be making up for the Sub with the OPPO Speaker Management capability, right? 

 

I have also read that if I do go Source Direct on the Marantz (and I know this is a Marantz question, not an OPPO...) the Marantz will not employ my subwoofer.  I have not confirmed that and find that a bit odd...but I guess anything is possible.  Not sure what I would do about that if that were the case.

 

Thanks.

 

T

Tgterm is offline  
post #14610 of 19512 Old 01-28-2014, 12:37 PM
Member
 
ckronengold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boston Strong / Jersey Strong
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes, Source Direct. My bad. Direct Sound is on the new Onkyo. Forgot what it was called on the marantz.

I don't recall if you can assign surround modes to each input, or if they just default to whatever the last mode used was, or default to whichever mode that input was set to. You'll have to experiment unless someone else can weigh in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post


Thanks for the information.  By 'Direct Sound' do you mean 'Source Direct' on the Marantz?  I will have to look at that when I get home...do you know if you can set it to Source Direct on a input by input basis?  E.g., have it set to Source Direct on the DVD player or 7.1 channel input on the Marantz, but use the Marantz's DAC for DirecTV for instance? 

Thanks.

T

Media Room: Epson 5030 / Onkyo NR-709 / OPPO-103
Paradigm Mini Monitors v2 / Atoms (rears) / CC-370
Den: Samsung 59D6500 Plasma & Monoprice in-walls
Server: WHS2011, i5 2500k CPU
HTPC1:Win8 Pro 64-bit, i5 750 Radeon HD 5850
HTPC2:Win8 Pro 64-bit, i3 2105, Radeon 6770
ckronengold is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off