Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 493 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-03-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 69
No problems for me either. Oppo connected via HDMI 1 -> Onkyo TX-NR609 -> LG 60PH660V wink.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascanio1 View Post

It's not my particular configuration as I have tested my unit in another home theatre.

Furthermore, since my original post Oppo has admitted that this is a design flaw and they recognize it as such. May I post this evidence?

Have you tried bypassing the HDMI cable in the wall with another cable. I've heard of some HDMI cables not playing nice with some devices. I bought several through Amazon that is rated for Internet, 3D, etc. Are u saying that the Oppo player you have will not work at all with one cable for A/V? I think we're all a little confused but eager to help if possible.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvandenb View Post

MediaControl app iOS

Has anyone had issues with the Oppo locking up requiring a hard boot when playing music using the MediaControl app? Mine locks up every time I use it. Does anyone use it regularly WITHOUT issue? Thanks...

Well, I asked some time before here and for the Android app, I don't get it to work at all. Doesn't recognize/find my 103 in the network. May be needs another update of firmware and/or app. I can control my AVP via the network and can also play everything form my Windows Server 2012 R2 essentials in the network.
The app would be nice but it is not something I need to survive and start to not love my 103 rolleyes.gif
Old 02-03-2014, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

As everyone else has stated, zero problems:

HDMI 1 -> Marantz AV7005 -> JVC X3 Projector (HDMI2 unused)

As others have said, you need to post your setup. Including everything being used when the problem occurs.

S~

I can confirm this with my Denon AVP-A1 - no problems at all on HDMI 1 - no split-HDMI in the 103.
Old 02-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascanio1 View Post

Hi,

I do not wish to brake any forum rules and I ask permission to post evidence which proves the points which I am affirming: Oppo 103 will not work as an industry compliant Media Player.

In brief, my Oppo 103 cannot work with a single HDMI cable from the unit to the AVR but requires a second HDMI cable to the display. I tested the same cable and same layout with 3 other Media Players: AppleTV, Roku and WD LiveTV and all functioned according to HDMI standards.

Oppo tried to fix this by sending me a software fix but failed. Subsequently Oppo admitted that there is a design flaw and promised that Oppo "will try to fix that error during the device's lifespan".

I asked Oppo to repair, replace or refund me as the Oppo 103 does not correspond to the advertised specifications. Oppo replied that I must use 2 HDMI cables and would not uphold the warranty.

May I post the evidence here, as I was banned from Home Theatre Shack forum for doing so?
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-disc-media-players/72716-oppo-103-hdmi-issues.html
When I tried to publicize evidence that exposes a critical design flaw in the Oppo 103 which makes the unit unfit to work in compliance to HDMI standards I was banned. I used not fould language and broke no forum rules except for asking why my posts were being deleted if I was not hurting any of the forum's interests.

Ascanio1 san,

Konichiwa and welcome here. You are questioning that the Oppo 103 applies to the HDMI standard. Using one HDMI to what (?) does not work for you. Well, it works for me and I am using a Japanese product, Denon AVP-A1 to connect.

The question for me is, what are you connecting to? What are the HDMI settings for your HDMI 1? I strongly disagree, that the 103 is flawed related to HDMI. For me it works without problems with one HDMI cable.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonda View Post

You can download software from https://disk.yandex.com/public/?hash=PLDXfZemXXr%2BBa1BUWeoz/gxBUlgnjkaJC37vT3BFqw%3D
Here are the instruction:
1. Create folder AVCHD (for example C:/Movie Name/AVCHD)
2. Move your movie structure folders (BDMV, Certificate, etc) to AVCHD folder (for example C:/Movie Name/AVCHD/BDMV)
3. Run the program and choose created AVCHD folder
4. Click Modify
That is all.

I have been trying to play superleo's Reference 2: Blu-ray Demo Disc via a WD external hard drive and have been having problems with the menu not working. I followed the advice from the above post and the menu system is working properly...smile.gif

Thank you so much gonda!
Old 02-04-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
1 HDMI cable from Oppo 103 to Pioneer 1522, no issues at all. Compliant? Design flaw?
Old 02-04-2014, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 65
HDMI 1 OUT of 103 > 65" VT60
HDMI 2 OUT of 103 > Pioneer VSX-92TXH

Works perfectly. I love this God damn machine.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by copene View Post

HDMI 1 OUT of 103 > 65" VT60
HDMI 2 OUT of 103 > Pioneer VSX-92TXH

Works perfectly. I love this God damn machine.

I too will be running my 103 into a Pioneer Elite VSX 70 - do the Oppo and Pioneer play nice? 

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
Old 02-04-2014, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post

I too will be running my 103 into a Pioneer Elite VSX 70 - do the Oppo and Pioneer play nice? 

My Onkyo had some audio hiccups. I swapped the HDMI cable with a high-speed one and the dropouts went away.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post

They play perfectly together. Only thing I ever came across was when streaming from PS3 media server after a FF or a RW it takes a second or two for the audio to kick back in. Never on BD or movies from the external drive though, just streaming HUGE files. You'll be good to go-
Old 02-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by copene View Post

They play perfectly together. Only thing I ever came across was when streaming from PS3 media server after a FF or a RW it takes a second or two for the audio to kick back in. Never on BD or movies from the external drive though, just streaming HUGE files. You'll be good to go-

Thank you. Good to hear. My system will be pretty basic....Oppo 103 into Epson 6030 and Oppo 103 into Pioneer Elite AVR. I have a ROKU that will go into the Oppo 103 but no gaming or Apple TV. Pretty simple.  

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
Old 02-04-2014, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 78

DSD files from Oppo Digital: http://oppodigital.com/hra/dsd-by-davidelias.aspx ???

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
Old 02-04-2014, 10:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 184
^ Is that a question? lol

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 02-05-2014, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Let me guess...he's simply pointing them out for folks that may have missed them. rolleyes.gif
Old 02-05-2014, 07:13 AM

Liked: 10
I set up the Oppo last night retiring my Pioneer BDP-51FD, an excellent player overall but has been having issues playing DVDs lately.

Connected the Oppo via HDMI to my projector and 7.1 analog audio out to my Denon receiver.

Blu-ray plays fine.

Didn't see a lot of improvement in DVD video from the Pioneer. PerhapsI need to play with the settings to adjust video out.

Audio was pretty good overall. But I don't hear audio out from the back speakers. The Pioneer would use those channels on DTS-HD BD discs. Perhaps there are some settings I need to adjust. This wasn't apparent in the menus. The Pioneer 51FD had an option to test out all the speakers which the Oppo doesn't seem to have.

What struck me as odd was that Netflix streamed video from Oppo was grainy. I had connected the Oppo to my cable modem so network bandwidth was good. I switched to AppleTV to stream Netflix ( connected to HDMI input on Oppo) and the video was very good. So what is the difference between streaming Netflix on AppleTV vs. Oppo?

I was thinking of getting rid of my AppleTV but looks like I need to keep it.

Thanks in advance for any tips you have for any of the issues above.

Eskay
Old 02-05-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayess View Post

Audio was pretty good overall. But I don't hear audio out from the back speakers. The Pioneer would use those channels on DTS-HD BD discs. Perhaps there are some settings I need to adjust. This wasn't apparent in the menus.
Audio processing in the Setup menu, then select Speaker Configuration. The 7.1 setup should be selected to get your back speakers.

Quote:
The Pioneer 51FD had an option to test out all the speakers which the Oppo doesn't seem to have.
Again, in Speaker Configuration. If the "test tone" button is lit up, as you move around your speakers using the arrow keys to navigate, there will be a test tone emitted from the selected speaker.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayess View Post

I set up the Oppo last night retiring my Pioneer BDP-51FD, an excellent player overall but has been having issues playing DVDs lately.

What struck me as odd was that Netflix streamed video from Oppo was grainy. I had connected the Oppo to my cable modem so network bandwidth was good. I switched to AppleTV to stream Netflix ( connected to HDMI input on Oppo) and the video was very good. So what is the difference between streaming Netflix on AppleTV vs. Oppo?

I was thinking of getting rid of my AppleTV but looks like I need to keep it.

Eskay
Go read a short discussion on the 105 forum regarding the Netflix app on the Oppo players. ( http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/8190#post_24088307), starting with post 8198 thru Bob's post at 8222. It should give you more insight with your Netflix issue, and a possible resolution.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Guys, am new to Oppo products. But I like most of you want the best Video and sound possible at all times. I know the oppo BDP-103 will do an excellent job with blu ray disks so this is my question. I have a Samsung PN60F8500 display and Direct TV and I want the best picture I can get will the Oppo unconvert the Direct TV feed to 1080P. Will it work on premium channels like HBO, Showtime. Thank you for your feed back!!

Old 02-05-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler webb View Post

Guys, am new to Oppo products. But I like most of you want the best Video and sound possible at all times. I know the oppo BDP-103 will do an excellent job with blu ray disks so this is my question. I have a Samsung PN60F8500 display and Direct TV and I want the best picture I can get will the Oppo unconvert the Direct TV feed to 1080P. Will it work on premium channels like HBO, Showtime. Thank you for your feed back!!
Your 1080p tv will always upconvert/de-interlace to 1080p on its own. You just have to decide whether you think the 103 will do a better job at the upconversion (can you tell a difference?). If you want to test it, you'll need to set your cable box to output "native" video, then run its hdmi output into your 103, then out to your tv. For me, I can't see much of a difference with native 1080i and 720P broadcasts (between a 103/105 and my tv, a 2013 Samsung plasma; different size than yours). I do see more picture sharpness with 480i programming, though.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:57 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks. I figured the audio setup.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler webb View Post

When my HT is installed next week, I too will be running my Direct TV into the Oppo 103 to my AVR to my Epson projector. 

Old 02-05-2014, 01:09 PM

Liked: 11

Has anyone with a 103 had a problem playing the new Season 1 bluray of HBO's Banshee? My Oppo 83 (with the latest firmware) will play the menu but not the episodes themselves. It frequently has issues with HBO discs (very slow loading, sometimes simply doesn't recognize an HBO disc has been inserted). I was thinking of buying a new Oppo (I prefer the more musical sound compared to the other players) but I'm getting concerned that Oppos seem to have way more issues with incompatible discs than the other players or PS3s I've used. I'm beginning to fear it won't even play the new season of GOT.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:14 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 629 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slan-Man View Post

Has anyone with a 103 had a problem playing the new Season 1 bluray of HBO's Banshee? My Oppo 83 (with the latest firmware) will play the menu but not the episodes themselves. It frequently has issues with HBO discs (very slow loading, sometimes simply doesn't recognize an HBO disc has been inserted). I was thinking of buying a new Oppo (I prefer the more musical sound compared to the other players) but I'm getting concerned that Oppos seem to have way more issues with incompatible discs than the other players or PS3s I've used. I'm beginning to fear it won't even play the new season of GOT.

Did you try this: What do I do if a Blu-ray disc will not load or play, or if it freezes the player?

-Bill
Old 02-05-2014, 02:46 PM

Liked: 11

Hi, Bill,

Yes, I tried those suggestions and still no go. I've read that this is a common issue with Banshee on the Oppo.

Thanks, Randy

Old 02-05-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Don't have Banshee but I have Season 4 of Treme, also from HBO, and have had no issues with it.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
A couple of weeks back, I had posted a question about a popping sound I would hear when streaming Netflix with my 103 through an audio optical cable (no HDMI on my receiver).

Since then, I have started using the analog connections for audio and I am really happy with the way that sounds. No popping at all through these, and a much better overall sound quality, IMO.

As an experiment, I swapped out the optical cable with a new one...still pops!

So, I was interested in anyone's opinion as to why this happens through this connection option (set to Bitstream). Any theories?

Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post

A couple of weeks back, I had posted a question about a popping sound I would hear when streaming Netflix with my 103 through an audio optical cable (no HDMI on my receiver).

Since then, I have started using the analog connections for audio and I am really happy with the way that sounds. No popping at all through these, and a much better overall sound quality, IMO.

As an experiment, I swapped out the optical cable with a new one...still pops!

So, I was interested in anyone's opinion as to why this happens through this connection option (set to Bitstream). Any theories?
My 'theory' regarding your DolbyDigital bit-stream issue can be found here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread/14600_50#post_24276822

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 02-06-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Most of Netflix's 'HD' movies use 5.1 channel Dolby Digital Plus audio complete with an 640Kbps Dolby Digital 'core', which are both 'lossy'.

You Marantz amp might not like decoding Dolby Digital at 640Kbps via SPDIF, it more likely favours the DVD standard bit-rate of 448Kbps...

Sorry, missed this connection to my original thread...

So, forgive my ignorance, this only affects that which would be sent over the optical cable through the Marantz?  When the signal is sent through the multichannel analog connections through the Marantz this is issue would not take place? 

Thanks!

Tom

Old 02-06-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post

Sorry, missed this connection to my original thread...

So, forgive my ignorance, this only affects that which would be sent over the optical cable through the Marantz?  When the signal is sent through the multichannel analog connections through the Marantz this is issue would not take place? 

Thanks!

Tom
Because when you use the Oppo's analog outputs, it is the Oppo doing the decoding and not the Marantz. When you use the digital outputs, it is the Marantz doing the decoding and not the Oppo.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc