Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 502 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 426Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #15031 of 20515 Old 02-14-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 883
I know that he has an HDMI loop and needs to reconfigure his setup. We already told him that and he said it works with the loop, but didn't get AVR OSD.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra (Big Bada Boom); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
Mongo171 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #15032 of 20515 Old 02-14-2014, 04:05 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,838
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

I know that he has an HDMI loop and needs to reconfigure his setup. We already told him that and he said it works with the loop, but didn't get AVR OSD.
The only case where he isn't getting the OSD display from his AVR is when watching content that comes from the Oppo because his AVR's HDMI output effectively gets ignored in that case. He wasn't complaining about that, just point out that it's a minor downside of the configuration he's using. The HDMI loop may not be an issue if his AVR doesn't keep all HDMI inputs active all the time - if it were a problem, there would be no question about it as he wouldn't be getting any picture at all.
gsr is online now  
post #15033 of 20515 Old 02-14-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I like number 8. of the list in the latest Beta. Anyone know how to program this into the Harmony remote? Do I just have the harmony learn the AB REPLAY button?
Quote:
Originally Posted by praz View Post

That should do it. If only interested in the instant reply I would program the button as a double press if possible. It's been a long time since I've messed with Harmony so I don't remember if this is an available option.

I got it programmed into the Harmony by substituting the chapter "Skip Back" which I never use with the A-B Replay button and it works great. Thanks for the response!

lujan
739 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
lujan is online now  
post #15034 of 20515 Old 02-14-2014, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

The only case where he isn't getting the OSD display from his AVR is when watching content that comes from the Oppo because his AVR's HDMI output effectively gets ignored in that case. He wasn't complaining about that, just point out that it's a minor downside of the configuration he's using. The HDMI loop may not be an issue if his AVR doesn't keep all HDMI inputs active all the time - if it were a problem, there would be no question about it as he wouldn't be getting any picture at all.

Exactly. He said it was a "caveat" that he wasn't able to see the AVR's volume setting on his projector.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra (Big Bada Boom); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
Mongo171 is online now  
post #15035 of 20515 Old 02-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Member
 
mconley1015's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone been able to create flac/mp3 playlists on a networked drive and play them on the 103D? I have been able to create m3u playlists and play them back through LMS Whitebear but no such luck on a direct connected drive. I would love to hear from others on this. With that said I am quite pleased with the unit so far. I have had it for a week but haven't had lots of time yet.

Could someone point me to the basics of creating SMB shared drive through windows Vista?

My previous setup for attached storage used with the 95 (which i sold for $660.00 on ebay BTW): Two 2 TB WD Caviar green HDS loaded into a dual port powered USB Thermaltake Black X. Works perfectly. watched the BD movie Prisoners last night and was very impressed with PQ.

Next, I spun up my reference Jeff Beck Blow by Blow 5.1 SACD and just wow! I am glad I moved to the BDP 103D away from the BDP 95. The analog 7.1 on the BDP 95 just didn't work well in my room and I could not justify keeping the unit AND upgrading.

The audio output from HDMI 103D is superior and I have a new Oppo with all the improvements that come with it. Had I been able to afford both I would have kept the BDP 95 for audio but just cannot justify that move....unfortunately.
mconley1015 is offline  
post #15036 of 20515 Old 02-14-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 1,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

I know that he has an HDMI loop and needs to reconfigure his setup. We already told him that and he said it works with the loop, but didn't get AVR OSD.

Here's the problem with using Dual Display with this configuration.

If the input on the Oppo is set to 1. BLU-RAY Player, the OSD video from the AVR never makes it to either HDMI output on the Oppo. The thick purple dashed line represents the routing of the OSD video from the AVR.



If the Input on the Oppo is set to the input from the AVR, and the AVR is selected to the input from the Oppo, then a continuous HDMI Loop is created. But with the Oppo's input not selected to 1. BLU-RAY Player neither the BD image, nor any other image generated from the Oppo itself will be available on either HDMI output.



A true HDMI loop in his current configuration is avoided only by avoiding simultaneous selection of the HDMI input from the AVR on the Oppo and the HDMI input selection from the Oppo on the AVR. As long as those two selections are not made simultaneously, there is no HDMI loop. If he were to select the HDMI input on the Oppo, and the BD/DVD input on the AVR simultaneously, the HDMI loop would exist. This remains the same whether Split A/V or Dual Display is selected, other than the type of video information passed through the loop (HDMI 2 could be outputting a blank video signal in Split A/V mode).

Neither of these scenarios would result in the AVR's OSD being displayed over the BD image even if the HDMI loop wasn't an issue.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #15037 of 20515 Old 02-14-2014, 11:17 PM
Member
 
globalnomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Beijing
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconley1015 View Post

Has anyone been able to create flac/mp3 playlists on a networked drive and play them on the 103D? I have been able to create m3u playlists and play them back through LMS Whitebear but no such luck on a direct connected drive. I would love to hear from others on this. With that said I am quite pleased with the unit so far. I have had it for a week but haven't had lots of time yet.

Could someone point me to the basics of creating SMB shared drive through windows Vista?

 

 

I don't believe M3U playlists are supported at the moment, but cue files that point to multiple audio files in the same folder are. To get around this limitation, I use Foobar to export playlists as hard links. See this post for how to do it.

 

Also, while the settings have changed somewhat between Vista and Win 7, here's my post about how I got SMB to work.

globalnomad is offline  
post #15038 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 02:46 AM
Member
 
winston99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston99 View Post

I called Dish and they had me unplug the dish for 10 seconds to force an update and i did not lose video after but i don't think this is the same update that occurs every night, I'll have to wait until tonight at 1:30 am and see what happens.

Update:
Ok, I lost video again when dish did it's nightly update. Changing the input on the oppo to blue ray and back to hdmi in back did not restor video, nor did switching resolutions. There is some activity on the tv screen when I cycle through the inputs but it is just a minor change in the brightness of the blank black screen, my point being that the tv is receiving some sort of signal. I use the analog outs and I do not lose audio. Power cycling the dish does not restore video.
Power cycling the 103 restores video.
Think I will try and revert to a previous version of the 103 firmware and see what happens tomorrow night.
BTW- unplugging the dish from the wall does not force the same kind of update that dish forces every night . I know because I tried it yesterday and when I plugged the dish back in I did not lose video.
winston99 is offline  
post #15039 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Notts, UK
Posts: 1,965
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
7. Added 24 Hz support for customer-encoded video files in 480P24 and 720P24 formats. The original frame rate can be preserved when upscaling the content to 1080p, e.g., when Resolution is set to 1080P, the 720P23.976 content is output as 1080P23.976, and 720P24 is output as 1080P24. Previously, these formats were frame-rate converted to 60 Hz.
Seems to be working fine now with 'Source Direct' smile.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #15040 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 05:27 AM
Member
 
mconley1015's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post


I don't believe M3U playlists are supported at the moment, but cue files that point to multiple audio files in the same folder are. To get around this limitation, I use Foobar to export playlists as hard links. See this post for how to do it.

Also, while the settings have changed somewhat between Vista and Win 7, here's my post about how I got SMB to work.

I have some playlists I created using Logitech Media Server (Native software for the squeezebox) that I can play through the Network interface by going through the Whitebear LMS server. However I cannot use the same playlists copied to the attached drive. Interesting. I am going to also try your workaround method also. If my method works logic dictates that others have found combinations that work also. I tried the oShare server for playlists also but obviously that did not work. oShare works well playing my flac files where Whitebear is a bit slow and clumsy but zips right through all my playlists perfectly.....again, interesting (to me anyhow). Thank you for your input globalnomad and I will check out the links about SMB and Vista you were kind enough to provide. I did a search for a couple of different keywords but did not find the link you provided.
mconley1015 is offline  
post #15041 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ThePrisoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Jupiter and beyond infinite
Posts: 2,246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm trying to come up with a work around for enabling gapless playback while using the iOS Media Control app. My display is a Panasonic plasma, I always put my 103 in pure audio mode to black out the HDMI signal to avoid image retention. If I could avoid turning my display on that would be cool!

Dolby Atmos 5.2.4/Auro3D 9.2
Panasonic 60GT30 Plasma
Denon X4100 - Insignia stereo receiver powering TM speakers
Def Tech ST8060, CS8060, SR8040, ProMonitor 800 Front Heights & Top Middle
Oppo BDP-103
2 SVS PC12-NSD
ThePrisoner is offline  
post #15042 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 07:00 AM
Member
 
claud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just ordered two 103s from Oppo. One will go to my son and be connected to Sony HT-ST7 sound bar that has DTS Master and DDTru. Should i just send audio to this sound bar by HDMI from HDMI 2 and let sound bar decode or should i have 103 decode and send it to sound bar ?

Got Tubes?
claud is offline  
post #15043 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 07:35 AM
Member
 
alphamalex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post

Here's the problem with using Dual Display with this configuration.

If the input on the Oppo is set to 1. BLU-RAY Player, the OSD video from the AVR never makes it to either HDMI output on the Oppo. The thick purple dashed line represents the routing of the OSD video from the AVR.



If the Input on the Oppo is set to the input from the AVR, and the AVR is selected to the input from the Oppo, then a continuous HDMI Loop is created. But with the Oppo's input not selected to 1. BLU-RAY Player neither the BD image, nor any other image generated from the Oppo itself will be available on either HDMI output.



A true HDMI loop in his current configuration is avoided only by avoiding simultaneous selection of the HDMI input from the AVR on the Oppo and the HDMI input selection from the Oppo on the AVR. As long as those two selections are not made simultaneously, there is no HDMI loop. If he were to select the HDMI input on the Oppo, and the BD/DVD input on the AVR simultaneously, the HDMI loop would exist. This remains the same whether Split A/V or Dual Display is selected, other than the type of video information passed through the loop (HDMI 2 could be outputting a blank video signal in Split A/V mode).

Neither of these scenarios would result in the AVR's OSD being displayed over the BD image even if the HDMI loop wasn't an issue.

I always change the input on the OPPO first, and then flip my AVR input to either BD, Satellite, or PS3 (never simultaneously) .. maybe that's how I avoided the loop. BTW, what happens when you do get in a loop? Maybe I should try it smile.gif

And yes, I am fairly certain HDMI2 just outputs audio in Split AV mode. I think it is in place so users like me who do not have a 3D ready receiver can send video to the 3D projector via HDMI1, and send audio to our older receivers via HDMI2.

Freddy ..
alphamalex is offline  
post #15044 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePrisoner View Post

I'm trying to come up with a work around for enabling gapless playback while using the iOS Media Control app. My display is a Panasonic plasma, I always put my 103 in pure audio mode to black out the HDMI signal to avoid image retention. If I could avoid turning my display on that would be cool!
The only way to enable gapless playback is from the 103's onscreen interface. You'll have to turn your tv on and use the onscreen interface to select your usb attached media directory you want to play back, then enable the gapless setting by pressing the "option" button on your 103 remote. Once you do that, you can turn off your tv. From that point, you may be able to run the MediaControl HD app to see what music you are playing back as gapless, and you may jump to the next track using the app, but you won't be able to enable gapless from the app for another directory on your usb drive. You'll need to turn your tv back on for that.
DanF8500 is online now  
post #15045 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ThePrisoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Jupiter and beyond infinite
Posts: 2,246
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

The only way to enable gapless playback is from the 103's onscreen interface. You'll have to turn your tv on and use the onscreen interface to select your usb attached media directory you want to play back, then enable the gapless setting by pressing the "option" button on your 103 remote. Once you do that, you can turn off your tv. From that point, you may be able to run the MediaControl HD app to see what music you are playing back as gapless, and you may jump to the next track using the app, but you won't be able to enable gapless from the app for another directory on your usb drive. You'll need to turn your tv back on for that.

Thanks Dan. I thought maybe someone here came up with a trick but that's cool. Like I said, I enable pure audio so no harm, no foul. The most important thing is the gapless playback! Thanks again!

Dolby Atmos 5.2.4/Auro3D 9.2
Panasonic 60GT30 Plasma
Denon X4100 - Insignia stereo receiver powering TM speakers
Def Tech ST8060, CS8060, SR8040, ProMonitor 800 Front Heights & Top Middle
Oppo BDP-103
2 SVS PC12-NSD
ThePrisoner is offline  
post #15046 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamalex View Post

I always change the input on the OPPO first, and then flip my AVR input to either BD, Satellite, or PS3 (never simultaneously) .. maybe that's how I avoided the loop. BTW, what happens when you do get in a loop? Maybe I should try it smile.gif

And yes, I am fairly certain HDMI2 just outputs audio in Split AV mode. I think it is in place so users like me who do not have a 3D ready receiver can send video to the 3D projector via HDMI1, and send audio to our older receivers via HDMI2.

Freddy ..

All of this could be avoided if you hook up Dish and the PS3 to the OPPO first, then output everything to the AVR. The OPPO can do its thing to the video and you still get audio through the AVR.

But, in the end, it's your system. smile.gif

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra (Big Bada Boom); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
Mongo171 is online now  
post #15047 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 09:00 AM
Member
 
DrZaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi Guys, I have the Oppo 103 it's about 6 month old or so.. I cannot play my Avengers disc anymore, it says no movie found, sometime it works sometimes it doesn't.. the I stated to watch blu ray rips via hard drive.. that was fantatstic.. It a seagate 4tb drive with 1 tb of movies in the NTFS formmated drive.. recently I added more files to the 4tb drive and poof, some movies display, some load 100% and plays the movies and some goes to 50% loading and all I get is audio and no video.. at first I thought it was the hard drive.. then I copied the movies files to a thumb drive, some played and some did the exact same thing, loaded 50% and no video, only audio.. are all my files corrupt? it can't be, they play fine when I attach the drive to my PC Anyone experience this? I did a factory reset and still the same issues.. Do I need to contact and return this unit?
DrZaus is offline  
post #15048 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 09:13 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,838
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamalex View Post

I always change the input on the OPPO first, and then flip my AVR input to either BD, Satellite, or PS3 (never simultaneously) .. maybe that's how I avoided the loop.
Two things are needed to avoid a loop:

1. Don't select the input on your AVR that HDMI2 out from the Oppo is connected to while also selecting the HDMI input on the Oppo that your AVR's HDMI output is connected to. (I know, that's pretty obvious)
2. The AVR needs to shut off any handshakes with the HDMI input that HDMI2 out from the Oppo is connected to when you select other inputs on your AVR. This one is more subtle and some receivers play nicely (apparently yours does), while others don't.
Quote:
BTW, what happens when you do get in a loop? Maybe I should try it smile.gif
You get a wild 3D effect where the picture has endless depth (like picture in picture in picture in picture......) and seems like it's never going to end... biggrin.gif Seriously though, what happens is the picture will just go blank as the HDMI / HDCP handshake will fail.
Quote:
And yes, I am fairly certain HDMI2 just outputs audio in Split AV mode. I think it is in place so users like me who do not have a 3D ready receiver can send video to the 3D projector via HDMI1, and send audio to our older receivers via HDMI2.
Yes, that's correct. Choosing the Dual Display option would actually have some negative ramifications for what audio formats would be sent to your AVR, so it would be the wrong choice in your configuration.

Since you clearly aren't experiencing any issues with HDMI loops, the only reason to change your configuration would be if you really wanted to see the OSD from your receiver when watching content played from the Oppo itself. The solution, as already suggested by others, would be to connect all your HDMI sources to a HDMI switch, send the output from the switch to the HDMI input on your Oppo, the HDMI output from the Oppo to the AVR, and the AVR HDMI output to your display. But if you're happy with what you have now and don't find the lack of OSD from your AVR to be an issue when playing content on the Oppo, then there's no reason to change anything or add the expense of a HDMI switch.
gsr is online now  
post #15049 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Member
 
alphamalex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

The solution, as already suggested by others, would be to connect all your HDMI sources to a HDMI switch, send the output from the switch to the HDMI input on your Oppo, the HDMI output from the Oppo to the AVR, and the AVR HDMI output to your display. But if you're happy with what you have now and don't find the lack of OSD from your AVR to be an issue when playing content on the Oppo, then there's no reason to change anything or add the expense of a HDMI switch.

So I'd need an HDMI switch with a remote to flip the input, right? Add one more to the collection smile.gif

I currently count 5 from 103, 3007, PS3, Satellite, CD player .. I should look to a smart remote I suppose ... $$
alphamalex is offline  
post #15050 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Notts, UK
Posts: 1,965
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Is it just me or does anybody else think that 'input' number 2 should be 'HDMI IN-BACK' instead of 'HDMI/MHL IN FRONT'?


Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #15051 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamalex View Post

So I'd need an HDMI switch with a remote to flip the input, right? Add one more to the collection smile.gif

I currently count 5 from 103, 3007, PS3, Satellite, CD player .. I should look to a smart remote I suppose ... $$

Satellite and PS3 can be hooked up to the HDMI Inputs on the OPPO. No need for a switch.

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra (Big Bada Boom); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
Mongo171 is online now  
post #15052 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
apw2607's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnomad View Post


I don't believe M3U playlists are supported at the moment, but cue files that point to multiple audio files in the same folder are. To get around this limitation, I use Foobar to export playlists as hard links. See this post for how to do it.

Also, while the settings have changed somewhat between Vista and Win 7, here's my post about how I got SMB to work.

If you want to use DLNA, serviio supports playlists. Not just audio playlists but video playlist where tracks can reside across any combination of folder structure. I use them all the time with my 103D. They will also show up on a DLNA remote app too. Lots of flexibility.
apw2607 is offline  
post #15053 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 1,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamalex View Post

I always change the input on the OPPO first, and then flip my AVR input to either BD, Satellite, or PS3 (never simultaneously) .. maybe that's how I avoided the loop. BTW, what happens when you do get in a loop? Maybe I should try it smile.gif

And yes, I am fairly certain HDMI2 just outputs audio in Split AV mode. I think it is in place so users like me who do not have a 3D ready receiver can send video to the 3D projector via HDMI1, and send audio to our older receivers via HDMI2.

Freddy ..

I'm not 100% sure what happens with an HDMI loop, but I can't imagine it would be anything good. Any kind of loop like that with A/V equipment usually results in feedback. I have one possible loop (audio only) in my system that I do hit on occasion. That is HDMI to the TV, and optical digital back to the TV. If I accidentally have the TV selected to the HDMI input from the AVR, and the AVR selected to the optical input from the TV, I get a high pitched hum/whine.

HDMI2 always outputs a video signal (possibly blank video) when Split A/V mode is active. From the BDP-103 User Manual:
Quote:
In Split A/V mode, HDMI 1 OUT has video only with no audio, but HDMI 2 OUT will have audio and possibly video. This is because HDMI embeds audio into video data so there must always be a video signal, even if it’s only a blank screen, to carry audio through.

From the Knowledge Base Article "Understanding Split A/V Mode":
Quote:
Note: While HDMI 1 will only output video while Split A/V mode is active, HDMI 2 will output both an audio and video signal.

You can see what format of video the BDP-103 is outputting on HDMI 2 by pressing the INFO button and using the PAGE UP/DOWN buttons to scroll to the next page. One of the screens there shows what is being output on both HDMI outputs across the bottom of the screen. What I typically see when using Split A/V mode and playing a 1080p Blu-ray is:
"HDMI 1: 1080P@24Hz 4:4:4 36b   No Audio           HDMI 2: 1080P@24Hz 4:4:4 24b   Bitstream".
I don't have a method of viewing HDMI 2 while keeping HDMI 1 (and therefore the Split A/V mode) active in my system, so I can't see if the video output from HDMI 2 is blank or not.

I remember reading a post, and I thought it was somewhere in this thread, concerning how with HDMI the audio is carried in the video blanking interval requiring there to be a video signal, and which digital audio formats required which minimum video resolutions. Of course I can't find that now.

Additionally, Split A/V mode is only active when both of the 103s HDMI outputs are connected to active HDMI inputs. Your AVR may not make it's BD/DVD HDMI input active unless it is selected.

Dual Display mode differs by outputting the highest level video and audio that is compatible with both connected HDMI devices. Dual Display is also only active when both of the 103s HDMI outputs are connected to active HDMI inputs.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #15054 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,871
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud View Post

Just ordered two 103s from Oppo. One will go to my son and be connected to Sony HT-ST7 sound bar that has DTS Master and DDTru. Should i just send audio to this sound bar by HDMI from HDMI 2 and let sound bar decode or should i have 103 decode and send it to sound bar ?
I'm not familiar with your sound bar, but you can try it both ways. I wouldn't expect you to be able to hear a difference. I use LPCM instead of bit stream and am happy and audio trouble free. wink.gif
htwaits is offline  
post #15055 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 03:09 PM
Member
 
DrZaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Did another test run on the Oppo Blu-ray player, none of my blu-rays work now..WTF..
DrZaus is offline  
post #15056 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 03:13 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,094
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZaus View Post

Did another test run on the Oppo Blu-ray player, none of my blu-rays work now..WTF..

Sounds like it's busted. Contact OPPO for warranty repair.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #15057 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 03:51 PM
Member
 
DrZaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just emailed Oppo, hoping to get a quick response. I even tried a new thumb drive and a WD passport drive.. it load's 50% and all I get is a blank screen with full audio.. I did not expect this failure rate for a high end blu-ray player. mad.gif
DrZaus is offline  
post #15058 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 03:55 PM
 
Sebring1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZaus View Post

I just emailed Oppo, hoping to get a quick response. I even tried a new thumb drive and a WD passport drive.. it load's 50% and all I get is a blank screen with full audio.. I did not expect this failure rate for a high end blu-ray player. mad.gif
I had to load the firmware twice.
Sebring1 is offline  
post #15059 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 03:57 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 18,094
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZaus View Post

I just emailed Oppo, hoping to get a quick response. I even tried a new thumb drive and a WD passport drive.. it load's 50% and all I get is a blank screen with full audio.. I did not expect this failure rate for a high end blu-ray player. mad.gif

High failure rate? How many have you had?

-Bill
Smarty-pants likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
wmcclain is online now  
post #15060 of 20515 Old 02-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Member
 
DrZaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Joisey
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This is my first unit..
DrZaus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off