post #15211 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

I thought you've already described seeing either 720p or 1080i in the corner of your display, depending on the program/channel from the D* receiver. And you don't do anything, and you don't "have a 720p/1080i switch". It just happens that way.

Well that is exactly what "native" means! Apparently your D* receiver is doing that right now for you.

And that's what you should be feeding into the Oppo... the original untouched 720p or 1080i signal, letting the Oppo take it from there. You don't want your D* receiver to do any upconverting of 720p to 1080i or vice versa.

So unless I'm wrong in interpreting what you've said, you already have things configured correctly. You might phone D* tech support to confirm if your particular receiver is already set to "native" and you never knew it. But the behavior you've described IS what "native" means.

That was another poster. My HT is being finalized next Thursday and I am just trying to get everything lined up before then.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15212 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:

I thought you've already described seeing either 720p or 1080i in the corner of your display, depending on the program/channel from the D* receiver. And you don't do anything, and you don't "have a 720p/1080i switch".
Ray0414 said that..
post #15213 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post

That was another poster. My HT is being finalized next Thursday and I am just trying to get everything lined up before then.
If you can't find a setting in your DirecTV box for "native" mode, either someone here using DirecTV or their tech support people will need to tell you how to get to that setting in your box. Unless the box is doing some conversion you should get 720p from Fox, ESPN's channels, and ABC. All the others should be 1080i. If you watch any SDTV channels, they should be 480i. Of course if DirecTV converts everything at their source to one resolution there isn't anything you can do about that.

As for your AVR, check in the owner's thread here at AVS to find out how to be sure it's not doing video processing. Cheers. smile.gif
post #15214 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg View Post

I have a friend in Virginia who has D*, and who also didn't know how to set "native" on her HD DVR receiver.

She phone D* tech support and they walked her through the couple of steps needed, to set "native". Very simple. I don't know what those steps were and your receiver may be a different model, but phoning D* if you can't see how to do it yourself is the easiest way to get this done.

What's important is that the best results using the Oppo to process/upconvert the D*-provided source signal will be obtained if the D* receiver passes on the original untouched 720p or 1080i untouched, i.e. "native", to the Oppo.
post #15215 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have a friend in Virginia who has D*, and who also didn't know how to set "native" on her HD DVR receiver.

She phone D* tech support and they walked her through the couple of steps needed, to set "native". Very simple. I don't know what those steps were and your receiver may be a different model, but phoning D* if you can't see how to do it yourself is the easiest way to get this done.

What's important is that the best results using the Oppo to process/upconvert the D*-provided source signal will be obtained if the D* receiver passes on the original untouched 720p or 1080i untouched, i.e. "native", to the Oppo.

Thank you. I will do that.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #15216 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Has anyone set up their 103 or other Oppo players remote using code 2 or 3 with a Harmony remote? I just bought a 95 and still have the 103 in my system as well. So typical of Oppo as they are always thinking by offering three code options with their remotes (page 10 of the 103 manual). I was hoping that in the Harmony data base there is an option to select codes 2 or 3. If not I guess I can just learn the basic commands of the 95's remote (set to code #2) as that will be just for two channel music with the Cary SLP 03. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this smile.gif.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #15217 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I recemtly started using jriver media center to launch movies to my oppo 103. I could see the oppo in the media centers playing now dropdown box. when I would start a movie the oppo would get set and then stop every time I launched a movie. so far a day I was stumped. I had trouble looking for the solution on the internet.

I went back into the tools of the jrivers media center and clicked options I then clicked media network. I had the box checked where it says use media network to share this library and enable dlna. what I missed was the add or configure dlna servers. I drop down that box and went too video and changed the first drop down box to mode original. after I did that the majic happened biggrin.gif and the movie started playing. I thought I would share this for anybody else with the problem.

question: is there a way to make the oppo player the primary or always use this device first in the settings of jrivers. so when I reboot or restart the jriver software it would always be set to play on the oppo?
post #15218 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 01:51 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Has anyone set up their 103 or other Oppo players remote using code 2 or 3 with a Harmony remote? I just bought a 95 and still have the 103 in my system as well. So typical of Oppo as they are always thinking by offering three code options with their remotes (page 10 of the 103 manual). I was hoping that in the Harmony data base there is an option to select codes 2 or 3. If not I guess I can just learn the basic commands of the 95's remote (set to code #2) as that will be just for two channel music with the Cary SLP 03. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this smile.gif.

Bill

Bill,

While rebuilding some of my Logitech remote configuration a few days for my 103 there was a message that appeared to provide a way to select an alternate code set. My other Oppo players are in a different location so I did not try the alternate code set option. I was doing the update via the "myharmony.com" web interface. Whether using the Logitech application would produce the same messages I don't know.

Bob
post #15219 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retate View Post

Bill,

While rebuilding some of my Logitech remote configuration a few days for my 103 there was a message that appeared to provide a way to select an alternate code set. My other Oppo players are in a different location so I did not try the alternate code set option. I was doing the update via the "myharmony.com" web interface. Whether using the Logitech application would produce the same messages I don't know.

retate,

Thank you for that information. I normally do all the changes to my 688 using Harmony's web page. I just looked at "myharmony.com" and I'll setup an account tomorrow. Is it different than the regular Harmony web page? I will keep my eye open for the alternate code option. That will be awesome if I can select an alternate code as learning the codes is so time consuming. Thanks again smile.gif.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #15220 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 02:38 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

retate,

Thank you for that information. I normally do all the changes to my 688 using Harmony's web page. I just looked at "myharmony.com" and I'll setup an account tomorrow. Is it different than the regular Harmony web page? I will keep my eye open for the alternate code option. That will be awesome if I can select an alternate code as learning the codes is so time consuming. Thanks again smile.gif.

Bill
I haven't used the regular Harmony web page enough to know if it is different from myharmony.com. However, I had to tell myharmony.com to import my previous configuration so there are at least differences in the backend systems.

Bob
post #15221 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retate View Post

I haven't used the regular Harmony web page enough to know if it is different from myharmony.com. However, I had to tell myharmony.com to import my previous configuration so there are at least differences in the backend systems.

Bob,

Excellent information, thanks again smile.gif.

Bill

post #15222 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Alexander,
With DirecTv receivers, select Settings-Display-Video-Native (On).
ceat likes this.
post #15223 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Release date: February 20, 2014.
Category: Latest Official Release
Main Version: BDP10X-70-0218
Loader Version: 6U1000 or 7B1300 (BDP-103), 7B1300 (BDP-105, BDP-105D, BDP-103D)
Sub Version: MCU103-05-0916 (BDP-103), MCU105-04-1113 (BDP-105), MCU13D-01-0618 (BDP-103D), MCU15D-01-0930 (BDP-105D), DB10X 131030 (BDP-103D, 105D)
Release Notes:

Special Notice:

1. Once this firmware version is installed on the player, you will not be able to revert back to any previous official or public beta firmware. There will be no problem upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.
2. Due to the extensive changes in this major firmware update, it is required that the user performs a "Reset Factory Defaults" operation after the firmware is installed. Please write down your special settings before doing this, and remember to re-apply your settings and adjust the proper volume level (if applicable) before you play any content. You may experience stability issues if this step is not performed.

Comparing to the previous Official release version BDP10X-67-1204, the major changes included in this version are:

1. Improved Gapless Playback performance and added Gapless Playback support for FLAC files.
2. Resolved several issues involving Gapless Player, such as the track title not getting refreshed in the Now Playing interface, and the player becoming unresponsive when trying to access a disc in the tray without stopping the currently ongoing Gapless Playback.
3. Resolved an issue with Gapless Playback with several customer-encoded WAV files. It was caused by an additional “List” information segment presented in the WAV file Header, and we have added support for this segment so that Gapless Playback now functions properly with these files.
4. Improved HDMI handshake performance for the HDMI input ports.
5. Resolved a compatibility issue with the available HDMI 2.0 input port on some Panasonic 4K TV, for example, the #4 HDMI port on TV model TC-L65WT600. This port contains additional Extended Display Identification Data (VSDB) blocks which caused our player to switch to DVI output mode and discard the audio packages, so there was no sound from the TV speakers. We added the support of the specific VSDB blocks and resolved the no sound issue.
6. Resolved a compatibility issue between BDP-103/105's HDMI 1 Output to the McIntosh MX150/151 AV Processors. Users reported no audio when using this combination, so we added special instructions for these A/V processors in the HDMI handshake process. We highly recommend that you contact McIntosh Technical Support to upgrade your MX150/151 firmware to the latest version.
7. Resolved the Wi-Fi connection failure with access points or routers using WEP security. This error was introduced by 67-1204 firmware and this version corrects it.
8. Resolved an audio truncation issue occurring with several DVD-Audio discs. Customers reported that the first note or two was cut off between track changes, and when the PREV button was used to restart the current track. Sample discs included "Queen: A Night At The Opera", "Buena Vista Social Club", "Beatles: Love" and "R.E.M.: New Adventures in Hi-Fi". This error was introduced by 67-1204 firmware and this version corrects it.
9. Resolved the playback failure with certain customer-encoded audio files in WAV, FLAC and AIFF formats. Symptoms included files being skipped, files being played with static noise, and files causing the player to freeze. The 67-1204 firmware adds more support to meta data tags in these files but encounters this problem if the meta data tags are in non-standard location. This version further improves the support for meta data tags and corrects the problem.
10. Resolved an audio dropout issue occurring with "Monsters University (BD, 2013)", related to its Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and 7.1 audio tracks when the player's HDMI Audio Format was set to Bitstream. We worked with Dolby and our decoder chip maker to address this type of audio dropouts.
11. Resolved an issue where a brief static noise could be heard when streaming music from a computer running Mac OS X to the BDP-105's USB DAC input. It could happen when the music stream was paused for a few seconds and then resumed, and it could be heard through the analog audio outputs, including the 7.1, Stereo, and Headphone outputs. We improved the audio muting logic and have eliminated this static noise.
12. Resolved an issue where a brief static noise could be heard when playing SACD discs in DSD mode on the BDP-105. This burst of noise was audible at the beginning of a track or when switching to the next track. It could be heard through the analog audio outputs, including the 7.1 and Stereo ports. We improved the audio muting logic and have eliminated this static noise.
13. Added 24 Hz support for customer-encoded video files in 480P24 and 720P24 formats. The original frame rate can be preserved when upscaling the content to 1080p, e.g., when Resolution is set to 1080P, the 720P23.976 content is output as 1080P23.976, and 720P24 is output as 1080P24. Previously, these formats were frame-rate converted to 60 Hz.
14. Added an "INSTANT REPLAY" function to video playback. If the customer presses the AB REPLAY button twice (two presses within 1 second), video playback will be automatically rewound 10 seconds.
15. Added support for playing CUE files and DSD64 files (.DFF and .DSF) over DLNA. The DLNA server must support these formats as well. A new version of oShare DLNA server that provides these functions is available now, and can be downloaded here from SourceForge.net.
16. Resolved a HDMI handshake failure when the OPPO's HDMI Output is connected to an A/V receiver, while the same receiver's HDMI output is fed back to the OPPO's HDMI input. We added special handling for this kind of "loop" connection and resolved the handshake failure. However, We highly recommend that you should not use this "loop chain" connection since it might cause unexpected HDMI handshake/CEC result, even cause electrical damage.
17. Added the indications on the front panel and the TV screen for DSD file (.dsf, .dff) playback. If DSD stream is output through HDMI, the "SACD" icon on the front panel will be lit and the TV screen shows “Track Type” as "DSD". If PCM stream is output, then both "SACD" and "PCM" icons on the front panel will be lit, and the TV screen shows “Track Type” as "DSD to PCM". In this way, the customer could know if DSD-to-PCM conversion is happening in the player.
18. General disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.
post #15224 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Wow, this is an impressive list of firmware changes. Thank you for letting us know. smile.gif
post #15225 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

In the current firmware, the Zoom functions are NOT available for video coming in on the HDMI Inputs. I do not know if that might change over time.

--Bob

I did a quite search and this appears to be the most recent mention of this feature -- being able to use ZOOM on external sources.

Has anything changed since 2012?
post #15226 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

I did a quite search and this appears to be the most recent mention of this feature -- being able to use ZOOM on external sources.

Has anything changed since 2012?
Yes, it was added in the previous firmware.
nathan_h likes this.
post #15227 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Downloaded new firmware but I had no complaints lately, its been a wonderful player so far.
post #15228 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganymed4 View Post

Thank you for this information. Can you please explain in a bit more detail how you do this? I've asked here in this thread before and my question was not answered.
I also used the app, it connects to my Oppo but the list of media is empty. After reading the description of the app, I thought I knew: The media app is only for local USB drives.
But you write that SMB also works with this app.

It would be very kind, if you could tell me, how to use this app to access a NAS via SMB - in my case Windows Server 2012 R2 and also via SMB.

Thank you in advance.

Hallo,

I did not do anything special to access my NAS. I think I started using the 103's home page and selected the network option. My Diskstation was visable and I was able to enter the share password and save it. I could then select and play my music.

After I had setup my access through the home page it was easy to use the HD MediaControl app to access my NAS.

Let me know if I can help with any specific questions.
post #15229 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 07:48 PM

Hi guys, just got mt oppo 103 yesterday and did the firmware update today, I'm not yet familiar with settings yet
I can't seem to find the restore factory settings option that neurmancer said to reset after the update.i know I'm missing something obvious.
post #15230 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 07:54 PM

got another question, i am looking up oppo 103 on ebay, and with some of them for sale, they say that for an extra 125 u get extra hardware that will give you the ability to update firmware, is this a scam? is this standard 103 player not capable of firmware updates?

TV; samsung 65F7100
AVR: Sony 7.2 1040
Blu Ray: Oppo 103D
post #15231 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Look at device in the setup menu .
post #15232 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 08:02 PM

Thank you, it's right where you said it was.
post #15233 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic_D View Post

Alexander,
With DirecTv receivers, select Settings-Display-Video-Native (On).

Sweet. Thank you. Now the Oppo can do the video processing without the AVR (set to through) or DirecTv also trying to as well.

Thank you.

post #15234 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 08:09 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post

got another question, i am looking up oppo 103 on ebay, and with some of them for sale, they say that for an extra 125 u get extra hardware that will give you the ability to update firmware, is this a scam? is this standard 103 player not capable of firmware updates?
Of course the standard player as sold by Oppo can accept firmware updates. With the limited info provided, I can only assume that for the extra charge, they're probably talking about hacked firmware to add extra features that shouldn't be discussed here.
post #15235 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 08:11 PM

Liked: 14
BDP-103 - FW Update - BDP10X-70-0218 February 20, 2014

Well for me...this new update rendered native DSD playback (both SACD disc and DSF/DFF files) inaudible, this is a NEW problem as I did not have this issue before the FW update. The audio format settings need to be set to Auto (not DSD) to get sound which is converted to PCM playback as opposed to native DSD.

I already sent in the issue to customer support...I hope they fix this soon.

My list has some new stuff and some really, really old stuff...LOL

What I like (so far) is being able to play 2.1 / 5.1 multichannel lossless FLAC / WAV (PCM) music files from my wired NAS via the Oppo BDP-103 thru my Onkyo TX-NR 3009...nothing like listening to 96kHz / 24 bit lossless...
post #15236 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhill View Post

Well for me...this new update rendered native DSD playback (both SACD disc and DSF/DFF files) inaudible, this is a NEW problem as I did not have this issue before the FW update. The audio format settings need to be set to Auto (not DSD) to get sound which is converted to PCM playback as opposed to native DSD.

I disagree. The "SACD Output" settings are finally working the way they should. Don't change anything, Oppo. Here's your choices and their function:
- DSD : forces DSD and mutes any hdmi audio to components connected to it that can't accept DSD.
- PCM: always converts DSD to PCM.
- Auto: use DSD if possible, but convert to PCM if an A/V component connected to one of the HDMI outputs can't accept DSD.

In addition, the front panel "SACD" and "PCM" indicators are now meaningful for all dsd media. If the Oppo's front panel shows SACD without the PCM light on, then the Oppo player is doing DSD-direct-to-analog. If the Oppo's front panel has both SACD and PCM lighted, then your player is converting DSD to PCM.
Smarty-pants and lanping09 like this.
post #15237 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 08:43 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

I disagree. The "SACD Output" settings are finally working the way they should. Don't change anything, Oppo. Here's your choices and their function:
- DSD : forces DSD and mutes any hdmi audio to components connected to it that can't accept DSD.
- PCM: always converts DSD to PCM.
- Auto: use DSD if possible, but convert to PCM if an A/V component connected to one of the HDMI outputs can't accept DSD.

Ok, so then why was I able to play SACD in DSD native format and DSF and DFF when the SACD audio format setting was set to DSD (not Auto, or PCM) via HDMI to my Onkyo TX-NR3009. The way it's working now is all of my SACD(s) DSD and DSF/DFF files are processed as PCM, when before the FW update, the SACD(s) played in DSD and the DSF/DFF files played as DSD.

My list has some new stuff and some really, really old stuff...LOL

What I like (so far) is being able to play 2.1 / 5.1 multichannel lossless FLAC / WAV (PCM) music files from my wired NAS via the Oppo BDP-103 thru my Onkyo TX-NR 3009...nothing like listening to 96kHz / 24 bit lossless...
post #15238 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Of course the standard player as sold by Oppo can accept firmware updates. With the limited info provided, I can only assume that for the extra charge, they're probably talking about hacked firmware to add extra features that shouldn't be discussed here.

u are most likely correct after reading further. it was very mis leading tho because they made it seem like you cant upgrade the firmware unless u pay for the "pro kit"

"Optional Upgrades:
PRO Kit, please add US$125
Allows for easy Blu-ray zone switching
In comparison, the Standard kit requires a sequence of buttons and a restart
PRO Kit can be upgraded for extra upcoming features
Additional Notes:
These are aftermarket upgrades not approved or supported by Oppo Digital, Inc.
Manufacturer's warranty is most likely null/void, but upgrade is easily reversible
Genuine manufacturer's hardware upgraded for:
Region free DVD (automatic selection)
Remote Blu-Ray zone selection for A, B or C
Compatible with future firmware upgrades"

TV; samsung 65F7100
AVR: Sony 7.2 1040
Blu Ray: Oppo 103D
post #15239 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, so then why was I able to play SACD in DSD native format and DSF and DFF when the SACD audio format setting was set to DSD (not Auto, or PCM) via HDMI to my Onkyo TX-NR3009. The way it's working now is all of my SACD(s) DSD and DSF/DFF files are processed as PCM, when before the FW update, the SACD(s) played in DSD and the DSF/DFF files played as DSD.
I didn't know you were having issues sending out DSD via hdmi with the new firmware. I use my Oppo's analog outputs only. So, it looks like your Oppo player has failed to recognize your AVR's ability to receive a DSD stream via hdmi....hmmm
post #15240 of 17944 Old 02-20-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

I have updated to 70-0218 as well, and I just checked this on my BDP-103 which is connected to a Pioneer Elite SC-77 receiver via HDMI (through HMDI 2 output with Split A/V). I'm getting normal volume level when playing SACD with the SACD Output set to both DSD and Auto. My SC-77 is showing DSD input in both cases.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page