Life is what you make it.......
post #15305 of 17943 Old 02-21-2014, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

If you want, you can try downloading these free .dsf files by David Elias. http://oppodigital.com/hra/dsd-by-davidelias.aspx
All of the 2-channel samples I downloaded from that site showed a "Disk Type" of DSD on my Oppo player.
Too funny! Those are the .dsf files I used...Morning Light / Western Town...multichannel .dsf and other .dsf files from his Crossings album.

My list has some new stuff and some really, really old stuff...LOL

What I like (so far) is being able to play 2.1 / 5.1 multichannel lossless FLAC / WAV (PCM) music files from my wired NAS via the Oppo BDP-103 thru my Onkyo TX-NR 3009...nothing like listening to 96kHz / 24 bit lossless...
post #15306 of 17943 Old 02-21-2014, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Just posted from my iPhone everything that I see when I play sacd and DSD file. Not sure why everyone is getting different readings. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Life is what you make it.......
post #15307 of 17943 Old 02-21-2014, 07:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by trp3383 View Post

Does anyone still have the old oshare dlna.zip? I downloaded the new one and it wont read my mkvs. Can't find the old one anywhere. Thanks

I have the 1.01 version that I got back in November if you still need it..

Would be great. thanks

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
post #15308 of 17943 Old 02-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhill View Post

Too funny! Those are the .dsf files I used...Morning Light / Western Town...multichannel .dsf and other .dsf files from his Crossings album.
biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif I haven't downloaded the multi-channel files yet....that's funny!
post #15309 of 17943 Old 02-21-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by trp3383 View Post

Would be great. Can you email me it at *******@gmail.com thanks
I'd suggest that you edit your post to remove your external email... unless you're prepared for a flurry of spam from BOTs that prowl the web looking for email addresses.

Best to PM requests like this, or "punctuate" your email address with spaces and special characters and "DOT" so that it's not "readable", at least not easily.
Ricker62 likes this.
post #15310 of 17943 Old 02-21-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
So I saw a notice to update the firmware, but since I was more interested in watching something I ignored it....I saw it again a little later on and ignored it again...so...when I went to update it I looked in the Device Setup menu, then firmware upgrade via USB and it cannot find a valid firmware file! Not sure how to go about getting the new firmware now, or maybe I am looking in the wrong place??

I was expecting to get another auto notice but that hasn't happened all day since turning it back on again.

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #15311 of 17943 Old 02-21-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post

So I saw a notice to update the firmware, but since I was more interested in watching something I ignored it....I saw it again a little later on and ignored it again...so...when I went to update it I looked in the Device Setup menu, then firmware upgrade via USB and it cannot find a valid firmware file! Not sure how to go about getting the new firmware now, or maybe I am looking in the wrong place??

I was expecting to get another auto notice but that hasn't happened all day since turning it back on again.

OH never mind, I am connected by network, not USB, doink! smile.gif

TV - Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma
L/R - Ascend Sierra Towers with RAAL Tweets in piano black
C - Ascend Sierra Horizon with RAAL Tweet in piano black
Surr - Polk Fxi-A6
Sub - SVS PC-13 Ultra
AVR - Denon 4520-CI
Blu-ray - OPPO 103
Comcast Set Top Box
post #15312 of 17943 Old 02-21-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroDarkFuga View Post

"Audio Processing / Dynamic Range Control" is set to off on the Oppo 103.
That's correct. So cross off that possible cause.

Quote:
Cable provider is Time Warner Cable and the box is a Samsung DVR brand. When I push the Info button on the Oppo remote, Top of screen HDMI in-Back is Audio Dolby Digital 5.1 48 K and bottom of screen HDMI 1 is 1080p@60Hz 4:4:4 24b LPCM 2.0 48K.
Well, that's correct too with the Oppo set to decode to LPCM output. The VT50 (target) is telling the TWC DVR (source) through the initial HDMI handshake when the devices are powered on that it can only accept 2.0 channel stereo, so that's why the output shows LPCM 2.0. If you were sending audio via HDMI to an AVR the output would instead show LPCM 5.1.

Note that this is not 2.0 downmixed by the Oppo from the 5.1 it receives from the DVR (as is the case on the analog audio outputs if you set the speaker configuration to "downmix to stereo"), or simply the stripped off L/R channels from the 5.1 source (which is clearly wrong, since in 5.1 the CENTER channel typically carries most of primary dialog). It's the actual imbedded alternate PCM 2.0 stereo program from the DVR. So there should be no difference between the Oppo's picking up that 2.0 audio and the DVR's delivering the same 2.0 audio if you have the DVR connected directly to the VT50, not coming through the Oppo.

Hmmm...

Quote:
VT50's "audio settings -> advanced" are specified as (1) A.I sound is Off, (2) Surround is Off and (3) Volume Leveler is 0
Again, all correct.

What happens if you change the Oppo's Audio Format Setup -> HDMI Audio from LPCM to either AUTO or BITSTREAM? Any difference? The HDMI handshake between VT50 and DVR should still announce "I can receive 2.0 only" and I would think the DVR would then send out 2.0 channel and not 5.1. So if you pushed the "Info" button on the remote, I'd think you'd now see 2.0 arriving at the Oppo, rather than the 5.1 you currently see. That should SURELY produce the same audio out of the VT50 as when you connect the DVR directly to the VT50, as for sure the DVR is delivering the identical 2.0 audio in both arrangements.

But if this change works, then I question whether the Oppo is actually just stripping off L/R channels from the 5.1 audio and delivering L/R (from the original 5.1 mix) to the VT50, hence why you have hardly any volume... since the CENTER channel is where the loudest/primary dialog is. Leaving out CENTER and delivering only L/R is a disaster. Obviously "downmix 5.1 to stereo" is the right way to deal with this, but the Oppo only does this for its analog audio outputs, not digital.

I myself cannot test this out, because while I also send my DVR through back HDMI input of my 103, I don't have HDMI audio going to my 65VT50. Instead I have HDMI-1 out of the Oppo going to my Yamaha RX-V867 AVR. So it's DD5.1 into the Oppo and LPCM 5.1 out of the Oppo to the AVR. In my AVR is where I have "downmix to stereo" when I send the audio to my 2.1 channel speakers, so the AVR downmixes all 5.1 channels to 2.0. Again, this is very different from receiving "official 2.0" from the DVR, and these volumes are almost guaranteed to be very different.
post #15313 of 17943 Old 02-21-2014, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Okay. So I now know how to set my AVR video to off to allow the Oppo to handle the video upscaling. I also now know how to set the DirecTv to native so the Oppo again can handle the video upscaling. Thank you all for getting me up to speed.

Now I just need to know how to set the Oppo 103 so that the AVR handles all of the audio. Page 65 of the manual lists some settings for "recommended audio format options" for multi channel digital audio to receiver through HDMI" ......." If your receiver supports HDMIv1.3.....Dolby True HD, DTS-HD, use the following -

Secondary audio - off
HDMI audio - bitstream
SACD output - PCM or (DSD If the AVR supports DSD over HDMI) I set it to PCM
HDCD decoding - on or (off if the AVR receiver can decode HDCD) I set it to off
Coaxial/Optical output - (any - not in use)

I will be connecting my Oppo 103 HDMI 1 to my AVR (Pioneer Elite VSX 70) a 2013 model, and from my AVR to an Epson 6030 projector. For those who know, are the above settings the correct ones to use if I want my AVR to handle all of the audio settings?

Thank you.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #15314 of 17943 Old 02-21-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Has anyone set up their 103 or other Oppo players remote using code 2 or 3 with a Harmony remote? I just bought a 95 and still have the 103 in my system as well. So typical of Oppo as they are always thinking by offering three code options with their remotes (page 10 of the 103 manual). I was hoping that in the Harmony data base there is an option to select codes 2 or 3. If not I guess I can just learn the basic commands of the 95's remote (set to code #2) as that will be just for two channel music with the Cary SLP 03. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this smile.gif.

Bill

I just wanted to update my earlier post. I was able to input the #2 code of the 95's remote into my Harmony data base. I kind of stumbled upon the process so I probably won't remember how to do it if needed in the future. But the end result is I have the 103 and the 95 in the same rack with no issues smile.gif. Another reason why I'm a bonafide Oppo fan boy and damn proud to admit it biggrin.gif!

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #15315 of 17943 Old 02-21-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:

"Audio Processing / Dynamic Range Control" is set to off on the Oppo 103. Cable provider is Time Warner Cable and the box is a Samsung DVR brand. When I push the Info button on the Oppo remote, Top of screen HDMI in-Back is Aduio Dolby Digital 5.1 48 K and bottom of screen HDMI 1 is 1080p@60Hz 4:4:4 24b LPCM 2.0 48K.

VT50's "audio settings -> advanced" are specified as (1) A.I sound is Off, (2) Surround is Off and (3) Volume Leveler is 0

Sounds like your Oppo is downmixing 5.1 to 2.0.  That shouldn't be a problem but as a possible fix to your low volume, can you set your DVR to output PCM2.0 over HDMI?

Should be possible but f not, maybe use SPDIF (coax or optical) cable for DVR-Oppo ...if your DVR can send PCM over that cabe type.

Look in your DVR settings; like audio output, for something set to bitstream and try changing it to PCM or stereo or whatever name of option it gives you.

Remember to set it back when you have your AVR connected again! :-)

post #15316 of 17943 Old 02-21-2014, 08:31 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

That's correct. So cross off that possible cause.
Well, that's correct too with the Oppo set to decode to LPCM output. The VT50 (target) is telling the TWC DVR (source) through the initial HDMI handshake when the devices are powered on that it can only accept 2.0 channel stereo, so that's why the output shows LPCM 2.0. If you were sending audio via HDMI to an AVR the output would instead show LPCM 5.1.

Note that this is not 2.0 downmixed by the Oppo from the 5.1 it receives from the DVR (as is the case on the analog audio outputs if you set the speaker configuration to "downmix to stereo"), or simply the stripped off L/R channels from the 5.1 source (which is clearly wrong, since in 5.1 the CENTER channel typically carries most of primary dialog). It's the actual imbedded alternate PCM 2.0 stereo program from the DVR. So there should be no difference between the Oppo's picking up that 2.0 audio and the DVR's delivering the same 2.0 audio if you have the DVR connected directly to the VT50, not coming through the Oppo.

Hmmm...
Again, all correct.

What happens if you change the Oppo's Audio Format Setup -> HDMI Audio from LPCM to either AUTO or BITSTREAM? Any difference? The HDMI handshake between VT50 and DVR should still announce "I can receive 2.0 only" and I would think the DVR would then send out 2.0 channel and not 5.1. So if you pushed the "Info" button on the remote, I'd think you'd now see 2.0 arriving at the Oppo, rather than the 5.1 you currently see. That should SURELY produce the same audio out of the VT50 as when you connect the DVR directly to the VT50, as for sure the DVR is delivering the identical 2.0 audio in both arrangements.

But if this change works, then I question whether the Oppo is actually just stripping off L/R channels from the 5.1 audio and delivering L/R (from the original 5.1 mix) to the VT50, hence why you have hardly any volume... since the CENTER channel is where the loudest/primary dialog is. Leaving out CENTER and delivering only L/R is a disaster. Obviously "downmix 5.1 to stereo" is the right way to deal with this, but the Oppo only does this for its analog audio outputs, not digital.

I myself cannot test this out, because while I also send my DVR through back HDMI input of my 103, I don't have HDMI audio going to my 65VT50. Instead I have HDMI-1 out of the Oppo going to my Yamaha RX-V867 AVR. So it's DD5.1 into the Oppo and LPCM 5.1 out of the Oppo to the AVR. In my AVR is where I have "downmix to stereo" when I send the audio to my 2.1 channel speakers, so the AVR downmixes all 5.1 channels to 2.0. Again, this is very different from receiving "official 2.0" from the DVR, and these volumes are almost guaranteed to be very different.

If I change the Oppo's Audio Format Setup -> HDMI Audio from LPCM to AUTO or BITSTREAM there is no difference in volume.

If I were to connect the cable box directly to the VT50 in the VT50's HDMI 1 port and the Oppo 103 in a different HDMI port of the VT50, the sound when using the Oppo 103 for Blu-Ray's/DVD's etc would also need to be put to 50-60 range of volume on the VT50. This leads me to believe there is a setting or HDMI handshake issue that is not correct or performing correctly.

What I don't understand is if I were to not run the cable box through the Oppo 103 and just connect it to the VT50 (ie, not use the Oppo 103 at all), the sound at volume 18 is at or louder than the sound of when I would run the cable box through the Oppo 103 in the 50-60 range, or if I were to use the setup described above to use the Oppo 103 for just Blu Ray viewing.

Basically, I am trying to utilize the Oppo 103's upscaling to 1080p (which, IMO, makes a huge difference in picture quality), but not have to up the volume by 30-40 clicks on the VT50 for doing so.
post #15317 of 17943 Old 02-21-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Basically, I am trying to utilize the Oppo 103's upscaling to 1080p (which, IMO, makes a huge difference in picture quality), but not have to up the volume by 30-40 clicks on the VT50 for doing so.
Although I didn't think the Oppo actually downmixed 5.1 to stereo except on its analog outputs, I agree with JDOz that somehow it's happening. Surprising to me is that the result of this is a LOWER volume than the related imbedded PCM pure L/R 2.0 stereo audio that's also in the HDTV program along with the DD5.1. But, it's certainly possible because these two different audio programs are two different audio programs.

Anyway, your DVR has a "hardware setup". I don't know what model your TWC Samsung DVR is, but with my previous DCT/DCH/DCX Motorola DVRs with the TV powered on you then powered off the unit and then pushed MENU on the face of the unit. This would produce the "hardware setup menu" on the TV.

And in the "additional HDMI settings" (you need to navigate to get there) there was an AUDIO option, that allowed three different setups. But one of those was to FORCE 2.0 PCM STEREO, which is what you should experiment with (again, until you get your AVR repaired for true DD5.1 audio). That way the Oppo will not be doing any "digital downmixing" (impossible, since you're delivering pure PCM 2.0 stereo from the DVR). The other choices were something like (1) AUTO, to have the target device tell the DVR via HDMI handshake what it could accept, or (2) SOURCE, to always put out the "native audio" in the program, e.g. DD5.1, even if the target device could not accept it, or (3) PCM, i.e. to always put out the 2.0 channel PCM stereo audio even if the target device (i.e. AVR) could accept DD5.1.

Once again, what does the "Info" button on the Oppo remote now reveal? And how does the audio volume react?
post #15318 of 17943 Old 02-21-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by ril850 View Post

DSD file on tv
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhill View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post

Same here.

post #15319 of 17943 Old 02-21-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

Although I didn't think the Oppo actually downmixed 5.1 to stereo except on its analog outputs, I agree with JDOz that somehow it's happening. Surprising to me is that the result of this is a LOWER volume than the related imbedded PCM pure L/R 2.0 stereo audio that's also in the HDTV program along with the DD5.1. But, it's certainly possible because these two different audio programs are two different audio programs.

Anyway, your DVR has a "hardware setup". I don't know what model your TWC Samsung DVR is, but with my previous DCT/DCH/DCX Motorola DVRs with the TV powered on you then powered off the unit and then pushed MENU on the face of the unit. This would produce the "hardware setup menu" on the TV.

And in the "additional HDMI settings" (you need to navigate to get there) there was an AUDIO option, that allowed three different setups. But one of those was to FORCE 2.0 PCM STEREO, which is what you should experiment with (again, until you get your AVR repaired for true DD5.1 audio). That way the Oppo will not be doing any "digital downmixing" (impossible, since you're delivering pure PCM 2.0 stereo from the DVR). The other choices were something like (1) AUTO, to have the target device tell the DVR via HDMI handshake what it could accept, or (2) SOURCE, to always put out the "native audio" in the program, e.g. DD5.1, even if the target device could not accept it, or (3) PCM, i.e. to always put out the 2.0 channel PCM stereo audio even if the target device (i.e. AVR) could accept DD5.1.

Once again, what does the "Info" button on the Oppo remote now reveal? And how does the audio volume react?

Man, you have a wealth of knowledge. Hope your around next time I have an issue :-)

I learnt the hard way that my Oppo will downmix DD5.1 to PCM2.0 regardless of whether I select bistream, LPCM or auto; whenever it detects a (2nd) TV in my chain that does not accept DD5.1.

...but I have not noticed a reduction in volume when that happens.

post #15320 of 17943 Old 02-21-2014, 11:19 PM

Liked: 19
How would u guys describe the improved picture quality over a normal blu ray player? Sharper/more detailed? Better colors?do most of u also have high end tvs? Also can anyone describe the picture improvement on cable tv? Im very close to pulling the trigger for my new 65f7100 samsung,I currently have a 3year old phillips bd player.

TV; samsung 65F7100
AVR: Sony 7.2 1040
Blu Ray: Oppo 103D
post #15321 of 17943 Old 02-21-2014, 11:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

SNAKE OIL. In the same category as silver/gold audio or video cables. Spend your money elsewhere.
Thanks, that's what I thought... Needed confirmation, now do you mean my $300 hdmi cable does not produce better picture and sound?
They will produce exactly the same audio/video as the 6' "high speed" 28 AWG HDMI cables from Monoprice for $3.40 for quantities between 2 and 10 cables. wink.gif
ceat likes this.
post #15322 of 17943 Old 02-21-2014, 11:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post

How would u guys describe the improved picture quality over a normal blu ray player? Sharper/more detailed? Better colors?do most of u also have high end tvs? Also can anyone describe the picture improvement on cable tv? Im very close to pulling the trigger for my new 65f7100 samsung,I currently have a 3year old phillips bd player.
The difference is so subtle that a lot of people can't tell the difference. There are a lot of other reasons that people buy OPPO Blu-ray players. Check out the FAQ linked in post number one.
post #15323 of 17943 Old 02-22-2014, 12:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post

Also can anyone describe the picture improvement on cable tv?
THIS is really where having the 103 with external HDMI input is of significant benefit.

There is SIGNFICANT improvement feeding 720p/1080i from source DVR through Oppo and then on to HDTV processed/upconverted to 1080p (or similarly, through an AVR and then on to the HDTV). The job done by QDEO in "cleaning up" satellite/cable TV 720p/1080i HDTV source is noticeable (i.e. the difference and improved picture is obvious, and not at all subtle). The upconversion to 1080p done by the Oppo is superb.

For me, it was the two external HDMI inputs on the 103 which made it "WELL WORTH the price of admission".

The other feature which motivated my own purchase was its ability to decode to multi-channel LPCM and send that out HDMI-2, to my external headphone system which expects discrete decoded multi-channel LPCM via HDMI as its input. Coupled with the external HDMI inputs (so that I could feed HDTV through the Oppo and get the same decode-to-LPCM that I also get when watching BluRay's) this means that 100% of my multi-channel digital audio sources will provide decoded multi-channel LPCM via HDMI to my Realiser headphone system. Again, "WELL WORTH the price of admission".
post #15324 of 17943 Old 02-22-2014, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post

I really need help. I purchased the 103 a couple of days ago, and I'm noticing no matter what content im watching (blu ray, dvd, mkv), the picture and dialogue are ever so slightly out of sync. ... There is no reason this should be happening.

There is always a reason frown.gif

Try some or all of the following:
  1. Set the Oppo to output PCM audio rather than Bitstream
  2. Set your AVR to have Auto Lipsync turned off
  3. Set your AVR to have a manual Lipsync set to 0 mSec
  4. Play around with the Oppo's manual Lipsync delay values
  5. Try splitting the audio and video outputs of the Oppo, with one HDMI output going to the TV and the other HDMI output going to the AVR
post #15325 of 17943 Old 02-22-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 57
The European version of firmware BDP10xEU-70-0218 has been released...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #15326 of 17943 Old 02-22-2014, 07:06 AM

I'm considering replacing my BDP-83 with the 103, but not sure if it's worth it. My 83 is almost flawless.
Regarding DVD upconversion, are there any improvements with the 103? I'm sure BR is the same.
I strictly use HDMI to my Onkyo 876. Occasionally listen to SACD and DVD-A
Faster load times would be nice, but not for $500.

"They that would give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #15327 of 17943 Old 02-22-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyman View Post

I'm considering replacing my BDP-83 with the 103, but not sure if it's worth it. My 83 is almost flawless.
Regarding DVD upconversion, are there any improvements with the 103? I'm sure BR is the same.

I didn't see any improvements with my 105 over an 83 for DVD. Some people claim the 10x models are a little worse. I see no difference.

The main reason you might want to consider a 103 is that it supports a lot more file types (such as .flac and .dsd) and has a lot more streaming and network capabilities. The other reason that is important to some people is that the 103 can be used as a sort of pre-amp. (I say "sort of" because there are a lot of pre-amp capabilities that the 10x series don't have.) If these aren't of interest, then there is little, if any, reason to replace your 83.

post #15328 of 17943 Old 02-22-2014, 07:17 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:

DVD: different, not necessarily better. QDEO on the -103 has advanced noise reduction and sharpening controls for dealing with low quality sources, but (a) who has time to twiddle them to find the best combination for every disc, and (b) the ABT solution used in the -83 is much loved for it's DVD performance, and for good reason.

I think the -103D is a worthy replacement for the 983H/BDP-83 generation as regards DVD, but now you're up to $600.

-Bill
post #15329 of 17943 Old 02-22-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

DVD: different, not necessarily better. QDEO on the -103 has advanced noise reduction and sharpening controls for dealing with low quality sources, but (a) who has time to twiddle them to find the best combination for every disc, and (b) the ABT solution used in the -83 is much loved for it's DVD performance, and for good reason.

I think the -103D is a worthy replacement for the 983H/BDP-83 generation as regards DVD, but now you're up to $600.

-Bill

Is there a noticeable improvement withe the "D" version with standard DVD?

"They that would give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #15330 of 17943 Old 02-22-2014, 07:35 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:

Is there a noticeable improvement withe the "D" version with standard DVD?

No, I think we hit the limit on what can be done with DVD several years ago. You can't expect continual improvement for 720x480i sources. All the later OPPO players seem "about as good" or "good enough" to me, with the 983H/BDP-83 as personal favorites.

The wildcard on the -103D is Darbee processing, which is a subtle effect when used properly but which has many fans. I had to take my ABT players out of the cabinet just for lack of space, and I am content with the DVD performance I am getting. (Although: I tend to be more of an "accepting" rather than a "demanding" viewer).

-Bill
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page