post #15481 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moore View Post

Bob: What about the difference in quality from Hdmi out #1 to HDMI out #2. Will I notice a substantial difference with BluRay? And, I have decided to go with a wired connection initially and, upon first power up after connecting the Cat 5 cable, will I see some message in the player's display or on my TV screen, that a firmware download is available, or do I need to go to the set-up page first? And, then, assuming I install the firmware, do I have to turn off the player and then turn it back on before the firmware becomes active. And, how does one do a reset, if necessary? thanks!

The default settings for the player include Firmware Notification. If networking is live and the player detects a newer "Official" firmware release is available, you will get an on-screen notice with the choice to do the update now or not.

("Public Beta" firmware updates are not offered via the network installer. Instead you download them from the OPPO Support page for the player for installation via USB stick.)

The default settings for the player will automatically activate Ethernet networking if the Ethernet cable is attached. Wifi networking can not activate until you go into Setup and tell the player which Wifi network to use.

HDMI 1 output in the 103 uses the QDEO video processing, HDMI 2 output does not. Most people use HDMI 1 for video. Most also use HDMI 1 for audio, but some cable both outputs with HDMI 2 going to their AVR for audio and HDMI 1 going direct to the Display. For more info on the QDEO processing I'd suggest looking at the FAQ for the 103 -- the link will be found at the top of the first post of this thread.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15482 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post

You can actually revert to a prior beta by going first to the previous non beta and then upgrading to the Beta you want.
Quote:
Special Notice:

1. Once this firmware version is installed on the player, you will not be able to revert back to any previous official or public beta firmware. There will be no problem upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.
post #15483 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
^ It was in response to DigitalAV who wants to know if he can go back from a beta not from a released firmware. Which you can, as I stated, by going first to the previous released firmware and upgrading to the beta he wants.

ex:
lets say we have these firmwares: Release1 Beta1 Beta2
if you are at Beta2 and want to go back to Beta1 you must first install Release1 than install Beta1
post #15484 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring1 View Post

I do not see this in the menu under device when I push setup on the remote control: using the Reset option in the Setup > Device Setup menu. Is there something else I need to do?

No. The Recommended Reset option is presented on-screen automatically on the first power up after a firmware install -- but only if needed. The Reset options in Setup > Device Setup are for doing a Reset at other times.

If the Recommended Reset option is shown on the first power up after a firmware install, you should do it.

If it was not offered on that first power up, there's nothing more you need to do.

If it was offered and you declined to do it, you can do a Reset now using the Setup menu, and I would recommend you do that -- after jotting down your settings of course. Recent firmware versions also let you save your settings to a USB stick and reload from there. So you can do a Save, Reset, and Reload and voila!
--Bob

I cannot find any reset or restore factory settings anywhere in the menus for either my 103 or 105. There is a settings management for backing up settings to a USB stick and reloading them. When I installed the latest firmware there were three optional installations which I did. It did not reset my settings. Last night I had to unplug the 103 and plug it in again to get it to work at all. it would not work by turning it on and off several times. The 105 usually has to be turned on and off twice to load discs (DVD or BD.) 

post #15485 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:

I cannot find any reset or restore factory settings anywhere in the menus for either my 103 or 105. There is a settings management for backing up settings to a USB stick and reloading them. When I installed the latest firmware there were three optional installations which I did. It did not reset my settings. Last night I had to unplug the 103 and plug it in again to get it to work at all. it would not work by turning it on and off several times. The 105 usually has to be turned on and off twice to load discs (DVD or BD.) 

Setup Menu > Device Setup > Reset Factory Defaults

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #15486 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 10:54 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:

There is more than one screen of settings; are you scrolling down to see all the options?

Here is an outline of the Setup Menus: http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103_Settings_Checklist.html

Do you not see all those options on your player?

-Bill
post #15487 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

Quote:

Setup Menu > Device Setup > Reset Factory Defaults

It is not there.

post #15488 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Quote:

There is more than one screen of settings; are you scrolling down to see all the options?

Here is an outline of the Setup Menus: http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103_Settings_Checklist.html

Do you not see all those options on your player?

-Bill

It is not there. I scrolled all the way down.

post #15489 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 11:18 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

It is not there. I scrolled all the way down.

Contact OPPO support.

-Bill
post #15490 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 11:40 AM

I downloaded the firmware again from the support page, reinstalled and now the factory reset options show up. Hopefully this will resolve the startup issues as well.

post #15491 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 12:30 PM

Liked: 11
Help again! I turned on my player for the first time after connecting the cat5 cable, and once the player powered up, it did a firmware upgrade and gave me the option of doing a reset to factory defaults, which I chose to do. Then the player powered down by itself, so I waited about a minute to see if it would power back up, but it didn't so I turned it on, pressed "open" on the remote and the drawer opened but then it immediately closed. I pressed "open" again and the drawer opened and then immediately closed. I turned off the player, waited a few seconds, turned it back on and pressed "open," the drawer again opened and also closed by itself. I recall reading something about this on the forum awhile back but I can't remember what the fix is. I have also contacted Oppo about this. Any ideas what might be wrong?

William R. Moore
post #15492 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 12:39 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Help again! I turned on my player for the first time after connecting the cat5 cable, and once the player powered up, it did a firmware upgrade and gave me the option of doing a reset to factory defaults, which I chose to do. Then the player powered down by itself, so I waited about a minute to see if it would power back up, but it didn't so I turned it on, pressed "open" on the remote and the drawer opened but then it immediately closed. I pressed "open" again and the drawer opened and then immediately closed. I turned off the player, waited a few seconds, turned it back on and pressed "open," the drawer again opened and also closed by itself. I recall reading something about this on the forum awhile back but I can't remember what the fix is. I have also contacted Oppo about this. Any ideas what might be wrong?

Are you using the OPPO remote? Does it do the same thing if you use the buttons on the front of the player?

-Bill
post #15493 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Are you using the OPPO remote? Does it do the same thing if you use the buttons on the front of the player?

-Bill
Problem solved, apparently. I discovered that i had failed to remove the clear vinly sheet which covers up the display AND the drawer. Stupid! So the drawer wasn't opening at all but from across the room I couldn't tell that. I peeled off the cover and then everything was OK. I hope that this didn't screw something up inside, but that explains why the player went into the "close" mode right away.

William R. Moore
post #15494 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Problem solved, apparently. I discovered that i had failed to remove the clear vinly sheet which covers up the display AND the drawer. Stupid! So the drawer wasn't opening at all but from across the room I couldn't tell that. I peeled off the cover and then everything was OK. I hope that this didn't screw something up inside, but that explains why the player went into the "close" mode right away.

That's good news, nothing serious at all, just new owner error.  I am a new owner myself so don't feel bad. Welcome to the club. 

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #15495 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 01:26 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:

. . . .I hope that this didn't screw something up inside, but that explains why the player went into the "close" mode right away.

No harm done. The Tray has a safety switch. In case it can't open fully, such as due to running into the door of a cabinet, it closes again.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #15496 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexdragon View Post

99% of the time this behavior can be attributed to the actual files themselves and NOT the player. I too have a usb 4tb hd which contains digital movie files (mkv, avi, mp4) and when the hd is attached to my Sony bluray player (S790), 20% of my files exhibit the exact same behavior you're describing. However, when the hd is attached to the oppo, 100% of my files is playable with no problems. Apparently, when the digital file is encoded with a codec (video and/or audio) that is incompatible with the player's decoder (any blu ray player is basically a computer with an optical drive) then you're gonna have playability problems.

As for your Avengers disc's strange behavior (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't), it sounds more like there may be a problem with your player's optical drive system (dirty or an actual malfunction) which means it requires servicing. Good luck mate!smile.gif

I guess I am going to have to convince my wife that the s790 has got to go, as I have the same issue when network streaming .mkv's with dtsma/dts 7.1.
Calling sony to ask if the s6200 would solve this issue gets me no where, and it appears that the oppo 103 handles this task perfectly 100% of the time.

is amazon still the best price to grab this guy at?

thank you!
post #15497 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 01:59 PM

OK. Now I have another issue. I connected both the player's HDMI outs to my Marantz receiver, with #1 going thru the BluRay input and #2 going into another HDMI input. I wanted to have the video from that second output so I could pair it with the 7.1 analog outputs of the player, just to have that second playback option. Well, with both outputs of the player connected, by default apparently, the player goes into "Split AV Mode" with video only coming from #1 and audio only coming from #2. So, I was getting no audio on my BluRay input of the receiver. And then, according to the book, if I switch to "dual Display" mode, the surround sound may be downmixed to stereo. What's up with that? And, is there any way around this, or will I have to use an HDMI splitter from #1 out so I can feed the full audio and video signal into separate inputs on my receiver? I just don't understand why Oppo configured both outputs that way.

William R. Moore
post #15498 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
You don't have to configure it that way. All outputs are active on the Oppo so just connect one HDMI cable to your AVR and analog outs from your Oppo to the appropriate inputs on your AVR. Then you merely need to switch the AVR to choose either HDMI audio or analog audio.

post #15499 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

I guess I am going to have to convince my wife that the s790 has got to go, as I have the same issue when network streaming .mkv's with dtsma/dts 7.1.
Calling sony to ask if the s6200 would solve this issue gets me no where, and it appears that the oppo 103 handles this task perfectly 100% of the time.

is amazon still the best price to grab this guy at?

thank you!

Amazon - $499 with free 2 day shipping if you are an Amazon Prime member. The warranty applies as Amazon is an authorized OPPO seller. 

wase4711 likes this.

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #15500 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 02:22 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 60
When I ordered my oppo from amazon, at the time, I was not a prime customer so I just selected free shipping 5 days. But then it showed up at my house in 2 days. I was very happy. smile.gif

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #15501 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ View Post

When I ordered my oppo from amazon, at the time, I was not a prime customer so I just selected free shipping 5 days. But then it showed up at my house in 2 days. I was very happy. smile.gif

Nice.  I do enjoy using Amazon for many purchases that run a a wide gamut.   

post #15502 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

HDMI 1 output in the 103 uses the QDEO video processing, HDMI 2 output does not. Most people use HDMI 1 for video. Most also use HDMI 1 for audio, but some cable both outputs with HDMI 2 going to their AVR for audio and HDMI 1 going direct to the Display. For more info on the QDEO processing I'd suggest looking at the FAQ for the 103 -- the link will be found at the top of the first post of this thread.
--Bob

Apologies if I'm wrong or this is a beaten horse:

I think I read somewhere that HDMI2 was preferable by some as the primary video output since by bypassing the chip you mention it defeats some noise reduction (I think that was it)? And other people using HDMI1 bumping up sharpness to +1 to help against it?

I'm on HDMI1 because I like the picture just fine on my Sony 4k, but I always have open ears for improvements.
post #15503 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Good to know as I plan on watching this one tonight. smile.gif

I don't know if you will come across this.
Happened on Gravity 3d. I think it's something in my chain, possibly my darblet. But as long as I can force it, no problem. Good guy oppo: allows a workaround for touchy 3d flags!
post #15504 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 02:54 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

I think I read somewhere that HDMI2 was preferable by some as the primary video output since by bypassing the chip you mention it defeats some noise reduction (I think that was it)? And other people using HDMI1 bumping up sharpness to +1 to help against it?

I'm on HDMI1 because I like the picture just fine on my Sony 4k, but I always have open ears for improvements.

in your experience does the oppo 103 in general have less digital noise than standard blu ray players without losing detail/depth?

TV; samsung 65F7100
AVR: Sony 7.2 1040
Blu Ray: Oppo 103D
post #15505 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post

in your experience does the oppo 103 in general have less digital noise than standard blu ray players without losing detail/depth?

Can't tell you. Coming from an oppo 83
post #15506 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Bump - can anyone tell me if the BDP-103 supports 3D MKV files?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post

I had thought I read somewhere that the current firmware supports playing 3D Blu-rays on MKV.

I bought Gravity 3D today, and just wanted to test the 3D MKV feature. I ripped to an MKV using the latest MakeMKV downloaded today. The only video option was the 3D track. After ripping, the output MKV file says in media info:
Code:
Video
ID                 : 1
Format             : AVC
Format/Info        : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile     : Stereo High@L4.1 / High@L4.1
MultiView_Count    : 2

I'm playing over my network via SMB. However, the video is not in 3D. Putting the disk in the Oppo, it plays in 3D. Is this supported? If so, how do I get it to use the 3D from the MKV?
post #15507 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Out of interest... Is there any particular reason why the Oppo does not support playback of Meridian Lossless Packed (MLP) PCM streams?

I realise that MLP is a proprietary technology, but it is used for packing Dolby TrueHD audio streams, which can be played by the Oppo!
Are you referring to the USB input? It certainly plays back DVD-A discs with internal decoding of MLP, but it won't stream it to outside decoding, for lack of hardware [Except a handful of Meridian controllers] and licensing issues.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #15508 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I don't know if you will come across this.
Happened on Gravity 3d. I think it's something in my chain, possibly my darblet. But as long as I can force it, no problem. Good guy oppo: allows a workaround for touchy 3d flags!

That's the other one I purchased yesterday. smile.gif

I don't have the darblet so maybe it won't happen to me?

lujan
667 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #15509 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:

Has anyone actually viewed the video coming from HDMI #2? I'm thinking of running it directly to my display and plugging it into my DVI adapter for the video and then pairing this with the 7.1 analog inputs. That way, it wouldn't matter what the Oppo did to the audio coming from #2, as along as it left the audio from output#1 intact. Right?

William R. Moore
post #15510 of 18014 Old 02-26-2014, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Question....I am selling my 103 to my father and was wondering if he should use the oppo to process his video? He has a 5 year old Onkyo AVR and my thought was the video processor would be more up to date than the Onkyo.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Marantz AV8801
Marantz MM8077
Martin Logan Motion 30 Center Channel
Martin Logan Motion 40 Fronts/Rears
REL R-528 SE (2)
Oppo BDP-103D
Playstation 4
Furman ELITE-20 PF i Power Conditioner
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page