Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 526 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #15751 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just checked my BDP-103 connected to ANTHEM MRX-500....I have NO 3D anymore.....not even with 103 set to AV split connection. The MRX-500 works fine in 3D with my DIRECTV DVR. Any suggestions? I did have 3D display before latest firmware update. Both OPPO's HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 outputs are connected to ANTHEM's HDMI inputs.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15752 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 06:48 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Double-check that you haven't mixed up the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 outputs on the OPPO and that you are actually selecting the feed from HDMI 1 for video in the MRX. It is easy to get those two sockets confused.

The easiest way to check this of course is to just disconnect the HDMI 2 output from the OPPO. Just make sure you are disconnecting the right one.

Check that you have the latest firmware in the 103.

Try setting 3D Output to Forced in the OPPO.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #15753 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 09:57 AM

Liked: 11

Ordered it but they sent the wrong version (one with "micro brushes"). Maxell apparently uses the same model number "190054" for several versions, so I'm not optimistic the replacement they send will be the right one either...

Oppo bdp-103 | Sony XBR4 52" | Denon 3310CI | KEF speakers
post #15754 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiozut View Post

Ordered it but they sent the wrong version (one with "micro brushes"). Maxell apparently uses the same model number "190054" for several versions, so I'm not optimistic the replacement they send will be the right one either...

:(

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #15755 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 11:04 AM

Liked: 10
Been reading as. Uh of this thread as I can digest, but haven't found a definitive reason my setup drops connection regularly.

I have: Oppo 103D, Shebourne PT7030, JVC DLA RS46. All new. I've been scaling back options to preset and am now down to all 'autos' off, set at 1081i on Oppo and JVC, and 7030 out of the loop. I've bypassed my 25' hdmi cable and am on a 12' cable. I still get dropouts of audio and video (at the same time). Total loss of connection which syncs back up in several seconds (4-8 is my guess). This seems to be a fairly low bandwidth version of HD, so am disappointed so far. Issues do seem to be decreasing as I drop bandwidth requirements. I don't get any sparkles or other image degradation. Perfect image/audio one second and then nothing the next. My suspicion of course is cable, but can you lose the handshake regularly?

Trying to decide my next debug option; will probably be to try 4:2:2 instead of 4:4:4. But, I cut bandwidth in half by changing to 1080i vs 1080p, and still get dropouts so am not optimistic.

BTW, this is with new bluray content at various AR's.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thinking active hdmi cable like redmere.

Russ
post #15756 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Double-check that you haven't mixed up the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 outputs on the OPPO and that you are actually selecting the feed from HDMI 1 for video in the MRX. It is easy to get those two sockets confused.

The easiest way to check this of course is to just disconnect the HDMI 2 output from the OPPO. Just make sure you are disconnecting the right one.

--Bob

Bob

I checked the MRX 500/700 does not work with 3D with Oppo's new FW 103/5 with single wire connection. Oppo'S HDMI 1> MRX DBP IN (set to passthrough) >MRX HDMI out > Sony 3D display. It was working before.

3D works with Oppo's AV split connection directly to TV.
post #15757 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 11:51 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtarver View Post

Been reading as. Uh of this thread as I can digest, but haven't found a definitive reason my setup drops connection regularly.

I have: Oppo 103D, Shebourne PT7030, JVC DLA RS46. All new. I've been scaling back options to preset and am now down to all 'autos' off, set at 1081i on Oppo and JVC, and 7030 out of the loop. I've bypassed my 25' hdmi cable and am on a 12' cable. I still get dropouts of audio and video (at the same time). Total loss of connection which syncs back up in several seconds (4-8 is my guess). This seems to be a fairly low bandwidth version of HD, so am disappointed so far. Issues do seem to be decreasing as I drop bandwidth requirements. I don't get any sparkles or other image degradation. Perfect image/audio one second and then nothing the next. My suspicion of course is cable, but can you lose the handshake regularly?

Trying to decide my next debug option; will probably be to try 4:2:2 instead of 4:4:4. But, I cut bandwidth in half by changing to 1080i vs 1080p, and still get dropouts so am not optimistic.

Russ

This is the same thing that was happiness to me. I had a bad HDMI cable from HDMI 1 on my 103 to my F8500 that was causing A/V to drop out for 2 to 8 seconds also. I order the best HDMI cable mono price sold on Amazon, hooked it up and problem solved!
post #15758 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:

--Bob
Bob-
Tried all the above...I've had this player (BDP-103) since it was first released (Oct 2012)....NEVER had a problem with 3D display until today (first time I tried since latest update); HDMI cables have NEVER been switched since setup (in fact, I have I use screw-in HDMI locking connectors) .....As I said, ANTHEM MRX-500 has no problem with my DIRECTV DVR displaying 3DNet channel....This seems likes a bug with the latest firmware update; How do I revert back to an earlier firmware?????
post #15759 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacari View Post

I've had this player (BDP-103) since it was first released (Oct 2012)....NEVER had a problem with 3D display until today (first time I tried since latest update); HDMI cables have NEVER been switched since setup (in fact, I have I use screw-in HDMI locking connectors) .....As I said, ANTHEM MRX-500 has no problem with my DIRECTV DVR displaying 3DNet channel....This seems likes a bug with the latest firmware update; How do I revert back to an earlier firmware?????
Have you contacted OPPO?
post #15760 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Have you contacted OPPO?

No not yet; just realized the problem today when another person posted the problem on the Receivers, Amps, Processors Forum (related to ANTHEM MRX-500, 700)....even though I own at least a dozen 3D discs (and viewed them in the past), haven't watched any since firmware was updated....anyways, I now can get 3D when I set 3D Output to Forced in the OPPO menu, AND then during playback, I go back into menu and put it on Auto, and it stays in 3D, but if I shut OPPO off and go back to playback, it won't operate in 3D mode unless I choose the Forced option again...I will contact OPPO tomorrow
post #15761 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 117
^That is what the FORCED option is for. wink.gif Just leave it on forced.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #15762 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtarver View Post

Russ

I've used Monoprice Redmere HDMI cables with success.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #15763 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post

I've used Monoprice Redmere HDMI cables with success.

I have a few of those too. Besides them being wafer thin, not sure if there's much benefit. I hate HDMI handshakes.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #15764 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
That is what the FORCED option is for. wink.gif Just leave it on forced.

Sounds like a plan.smile.gif
post #15765 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

I have a few of those too. Besides them being wafer thin, not sure if there's much benefit. I hate HDMI handshakes.

They have a chip in one end that amplifies the signal.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #15766 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:

Quote:

... for the amount needed for the cable length being used. The input HDMI ports adapt for a fixed length which is six feet.
post #15767 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know the tech. Just not sure it makes a difference. But they're cheap thru Moniprice so no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

... for the amount needed for the cable length being used. The input HDMI ports adapt for a fixed length which is six feet.

Yep, have a couple 6 footers.

D'oh! Read htwaits post too quickly. That'll learn me.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #15768 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

I know the tech. Just not sure it makes a difference. But they're cheap thru Moniprice so no worries.
Yep, have a couple 6 footers.
I know that this is a bit odd - but you don't need Redmere at all if your cables are 6'.
The whole point behind the Redmere technology is that it makes all non-6' cables LOOK to the connected inputs/outputs like they ARE 6'.
If the cable is already 6' long, you don't need any technology to "pretend" for you ;-)
wase4711 likes this.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #15769 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post

I know that this is a bit odd - but you don't need Redmere at all if your cables are 6'.
The whole point behind the Redmere technology is that it makes all non-6' cables LOOK to the connected inputs/outputs like they ARE 6'.
If the cable is already 6' long, you don't need any technology to "pretend" for you ;-)

For some reason back when I bought the cables, I was under the impression they would quicken the HDMI handshakes. Lol. At least they're inexpensive and dont put any strain on my HDMI ports.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #15770 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

^That is what the FORCED option is for. wink.gif Just leave it on forced.

If you turned the player off, you will have to re force. It will continuous loading. This is a bug on oppo's new FW that is likely affecting Anthem MRX.
post #15771 of 17803 Old 03-09-2014, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingblayde View Post

I use SMB, I never did like DLNA in the way it groups everything together by genre, artist, favorites, etc etc, I just like navigating to a folder, opening it, and playing what I want, not sifting thru categories.
Maybe I just didnt really give DLNA a chance. My NAS has 2 different versions of DLNA apps that I can use, Twonky and just a plain old DLNA server. I never did much with either one.
I have a QNAP TS-419P+ 4 bay with four Seagate 2T green drives in RAID 5 for 5.5T of storage. Gigabit switches, and all brand new CAT6 throughout the house.

Usually, SMB will play better than DLNA with the QNAP/Oppo combo. You pretty much are playing the contents of a folder. One thing that happens though is the ordering of the music can be out of order. Twonky is somewhat reasonable for media playback. I think often the problem with the NAS is related to both the NAS and the drives. Oppo expects to find everything ready to go and if the NAS is either "asleep" or the drives are rev'd down, there is a waiting period to bring them back up. This might be part of the problem you are experiencing.

I say this because I too have an Oppo and QNAP NAS units. Try making sure your NAS is running at the time you have the Oppo communicate with it in both DLNA and SMB. See if this makes a difference. I have one NAS with Seagate NV NAS drives x5 and one NAS with WD red NAS drives x 4. Both units at times hang for a bit before the Oppo can play music at times due to the drives having to rev up.

My Oppo plays movie files, stereo and multi-channel music from my NAS units. Last - if Twonky is scanning its own database, while you wish to access media files via Oppo, that can cause problems too. In short, more of the issue is likely to be on the NAS side than the Oppo.

Oppo 103
QNAP 469L x4 WD red NAS drives
QNAP 559 pro x 5 Seagate NV NAS drives
Marantz NR1604
TiVo Roamio
GoldenEar Triton 7, AON3, XL center setup
Panasonic VT50 65" plasma TV
more
post #15772 of 17803 Old 03-10-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingblayde View Post

I use SMB, I never did like DLNA in the way it groups everything together by genre, artist, favorites, etc etc, I just like navigating to a folder, opening it, and playing what I want, not sifting thru categories.
Maybe I just didnt really give DLNA a chance. My NAS has 2 different versions of DLNA apps that I can use, Twonky and just a plain old DLNA server. I never did much with either one.
I have a QNAP TS-419P+ 4 bay with four Seagate 2T green drives in RAID 5 for 5.5T of storage. Gigabit switches, and all brand new CAT6 throughout the house.
I have the same NAS with 3T R5, same switches, cat5e, Denon 4311, standard 103, and BDP-93. I've had both OPPO's freeze playing flac and mkv files via smb, dlna, twonky, and Plex. The only recovery is unplugging the OPPO's and wait about 0:15 before plugging in power and returning to stream.

I like navigating to folders, too. Lately, I use smb on the 103, flac on the Denon. We use twonky and Plex on the 93 with which still freezes occasionally.
-Paul

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-103 & -93, DENON 4311CI & 2113CI, Roomie-iPad, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 2 & 3, ATV, DTV HR34-500, PS3, XBOX 360. ML Source, Matinee, MotionFX, Motion4, 2-Depth-i subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter, UMM-6/REW.
post #15773 of 17803 Old 03-10-2014, 05:49 AM

@Phrehdd - my QNAP never sleeps. My problem occurs when exiting the file, whether it completes or not. Again, doesn't matter which server or method. That as if, no freezing with Vudu so you may be on to something with QNAP responding to OPPO or vice Versa.

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-103 & -93, DENON 4311CI & 2113CI, Roomie-iPad, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 2 & 3, ATV, DTV HR34-500, PS3, XBOX 360. ML Source, Matinee, MotionFX, Motion4, 2-Depth-i subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter, UMM-6/REW.
post #15774 of 17803 Old 03-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

For some reason back when I bought the cables, I was under the impression they would quicken the HDMI handshakes. Lol. At least they're inexpensive and dont put any strain on my HDMI ports.

I replaced all of the cables on my system with the redmere, even the 6 footers (which most are). I did it primarily due to them being easier to route (I have a lot of HDMI cables connected to my system). I have one that is 30' long, it isn't so thin, but still thinner than the non-redmere that it replaced.
post #15775 of 17803 Old 03-10-2014, 09:56 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogaxis View Post

I have the same NAS with 3T R5, same switches, cat5e, Denon 4311, standard 103, and BDP-93. I've had both OPPO's freeze playing flac and mkv files via smb, dlna, twonky, and Plex. The only recovery is unplugging the OPPO's and wait about 0:15 before plugging in power and returning to stream.

I like navigating to folders, too. Lately, I use smb on the 103, flac on the Denon. We use twonky and Plex on the 93 with which still freezes occasionally.
-Paul

I've experienced the same freezes on the BDP-103 with my NAS using SMB, when (not often) it does freeze, is when I'm playing a multichannel DSD, FLAC or WAV file and navigating to other music folders on the NAS. When it does freeze, I turn the BDP-103 off, then back on. It is annoying because it's random.

I have a LenovoEMC NAS with an Intel Dual Core Atom CPU, 3GB RAM, with two 3TB WD RED NAS drives, CAT6 cable, a Gigabit Switch w/jumbo frame support enabled on the switch and NAS (I generally get over 100 MB/s transfer speeds on the NAS to my desktops / notebook)...I don't think it's a bandwidth issue with the NAS, switch or cable...it seems to me the OPPO having a 100BaseT Fast Ethernet connection, can't process the information fast enough. Maybe on the next gen OPPO (BDP-113 / BDP115), more RAM and a Gigabit RJ45 connection would alleviate the freezing.

My list has some new stuff and some really, really old stuff...LOL

What I like (so far) is being able to play 2.1 / 5.1 multichannel lossless FLAC / WAV (PCM) music files from my wired NAS via the Oppo BDP-103 thru my Onkyo TX-NR 3009...nothing like listening to 96kHz / 24 bit lossless...
post #15776 of 17803 Old 03-10-2014, 10:59 AM

I have a question about HDMI audio out from a blu-ray.

I was watching a few scenes from Gravity last night and noticed that I was getting sounds from the back surrounds in my 7.2 system, mostly effects and music score.

What might cause this? I have the 103 set to split the audio and video. The audio is going to a new SR7008, with video going directly to the TV.

Thoughts?
post #15777 of 17803 Old 03-10-2014, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan64 View Post

I have a question about HDMI audio out from a blu-ray.

I was watching a few scenes from Gravity last night and noticed that I was getting sounds from the back surrounds in my 7.2 system, mostly effects and music score.

What might cause this? I have the 103 set to split the audio and video. The audio is going to a new SR7008, with video going directly to the TV.

Thoughts?

Ok, are you saying that you didn't expect to hear anything from the rear surrounds? If so, is this a 7.1 channel blu-ray or do you have your SR7008 in one of its DSP modes? If either of those are true then why wouldn't you expect sound from the rear surrounds?
post #15778 of 17803 Old 03-10-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post

Ok, are you saying that you didn't expect to hear anything from the rear surrounds? If so, is this a 7.1 channel blu-ray or do you have your SR7008 in one of its DSP modes? If either of those are true then why wouldn't you expect sound from the rear surrounds?

It is a 5.1 disk and the Marantz was telling me it was not in DSP mode, if we believe the front panel display.

All firmware is up to date as well on both units.

It is acting like a 7.1 disc, but the SR7008 was clearly reporting 5.1 from the 103.
post #15779 of 17803 Old 03-10-2014, 11:13 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeogeoG View Post

I must say I am very happy with the picture quality of the Oppo 103, its really a nice step from my Dune Smart D1, but I am not to happy about the sound quality, I am using HDMI 2 output exclusivelly for audio and have tried both PCM and bitstreaming, and both sound arround 4 db lower then with my Dune, but even when I put more volume it doesnt seem to sound as good as my Dune, ¿is this normal?, ¿is there something I can change to get better sound?.

Greetings.

If both the Dune and Oppo were sending the same digital audio data to your AVR and the AVR was treating both audio inputs the same, they should play at the same volume. Lots of "if"s there. Do you have the Dune set to amplify the sound, or the Oppo to attenuate it? (The Oppo volume control may only work for analog outs.) Does the amp receive the digital signal on the same HDMI port for both the Dune and Oppo? Could the AVR be set to attenuate the Oppo's input signal?

Just some things to check.
post #15780 of 17803 Old 03-10-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Press info, is it 5.1 in and 7.1 out? My SR 7008 does the same thing. All 5.1 channel material is output in 7.1

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page