Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Ellis View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ Hiss is most commonly due to RF interference in your environment. In your case it may be penetrating the player. Often the culprit is house lighting dimmer switches, perhaps even in an adjacent room. Try cutting off those dimmers. For some dimmers that means using an extra switch on them rather than just sliding them down to "off" since "off" really isn't "off" otherwise.

To check if the player is faulty, you'd need to move it to a different location -- away from whatever might be present in your listening room. Of course the surrounds should be completely silent when playing Stereo content unless you have DTS Neo:6 Mode enabled in the player. If the player is producing the noise itself, then that would be a warranty repair.
--Bob

I guess it must have been some RFI from a neighbor's dimmer or something similar - my 103 is on a common wall. Today the surround outputs are dead silent as expected. Apartment living has its goods and others. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last time I checked, the Audio Theory forum here still had a Hum and Hiss FAQ posted. You might check there for suggestions on how to isolate the source of the RF and squelch it.

One possibility is that one or more of your "shielded" cables actually has a faulty shield (e.g., not making electrical contact from end to end), thus providing a path for RF to get into the player. Generally speaking, however, finding the source of the RF interference is usually the best tactic. It could be another device in your setup for example.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15842 of 18480 Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
^ Thanks again, Bob. The hum FAQ is good reading. It looks like a trim to TIme Warner is in order. The hiss returned when I turned my cable box on, as it was yesterday and disappeared when I turned it off. Their ground connection to my building is shaky, too. GRRR.
post #15843 of 18480 Old 03-13-2014, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

^ The OPPO bag is also useful for carrying other, lesser equipment in public without shame.
--Bob

A Bose wave radio?
dswierenga and RayWK like this.
post #15844 of 18480 Old 03-13-2014, 09:25 AM

^ No, nothing could relieve the shame of owning that company's products. tongue.gif
post #15845 of 18480 Old 03-13-2014, 09:43 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Quote:

^ The OPPO bag is also useful for carrying other, lesser equipment in public without shame.
--Bob

A Bose wave radio?

Or just hang the bag in place of a picture on the wall to display your Oppo-ness. Your friends and neighbors will revel in your decorating skills.

Samsung 65" F7100
Anthem MRX-310 (5.1)
Oppo BDP-103
Von Schweikert - VR-2 main,. LCR-15 Center
Def Tech. - Pro Monitor 800 Surrounds
HSU - VTF-2 MK2 Sub

post #15846 of 18480 Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfi View Post

Or just hang the bag in place of a picture on the wall to display your Oppo-ness. Your friends and neighbors will revel in your decorating skills.

Having a spare Oppo bag sounds like a great Oppo-tunity for creative uses. biggrin.gif
post #15847 of 18480 Old 03-13-2014, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 65

I just purchased a ne Sammy UN65F8000 on this past Monday. I hadnt had a chance to try a Blu ray til last night. The VQ is stunning, as expected....BUT the A/V sync was horrible. I adjusted it to 30ms but it wasnt perfect. I tried 40ms, but that seemed too much. I was set up with one HDMI into the AVR and then out to the TV. I tried using the split method and it was the same.... What should I attempt to remedy this?

Thanks!!

my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

post #15848 of 18480 Old 03-13-2014, 11:13 AM

Liked: 25
I end up tweaking the synch setting on the TV's settings first then blue ray and then AVR. I also notice some cable channels can be a bit off from others.... Just to keep us on our toes smile.gif

Samsung 65" F7100
Anthem MRX-310 (5.1)
Oppo BDP-103
Von Schweikert - VR-2 main,. LCR-15 Center
Def Tech. - Pro Monitor 800 Surrounds
HSU - VTF-2 MK2 Sub

post #15849 of 18480 Old 03-13-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 61
40msecs.... When I bought my LG 60PH660V to replace my Panasonic TH-46PZ81B (via HDMI 1), I had to set the 'A/V Sync' on my Onkyo TX-NR609 (via HDMI 2) to '200msec'. With the Panasonic it was '0msecs' eek.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
post #15850 of 18480 Old 03-13-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 65

TV broadcasting and movies through the STB have been fine... its just the Blu ray I had trouble with so far.

my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

post #15851 of 18480 Old 03-13-2014, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

^ Thanks again, Bob. The hum FAQ is good reading. It looks like a trim to TIme Warner is in order. The hiss returned when I turned my cable box on, as it was yesterday and disappeared when I turned it off. Their ground connection to my building is shaky, too. GRRR.

You might try unplugging the actual cable connection to the cable box (while it is on) and see if that makes the hiss disappear. If so, you could try a cable ground isolator between the cable and the box and see if that helps. In my system, the surge protector has a big grounding knob and I connect the chassis of all components to it, creating a common ground for everything. I'm guessing your cable box's plug is 2 prong and not 3 prong? If so, a common ground for all components may help too.
post #15852 of 18480 Old 03-13-2014, 12:02 PM

^ I already have a isolator in the cable feed due to varying ground of the cable system. Every time they add someone they end up changing the ground. Really annoying.
post #15853 of 18480 Old 03-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
^ Yeah, you might try a common ground for your whole setup if the cable box doesn't already have a 3-plug connector. It's a long shot, but the electronics in your cable box could be introducing a high frequency signal on its chassis.
post #15854 of 18480 Old 03-13-2014, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just received my 103. Would appreciate suggestions on best way to add to my current setup.

Right now everything is going into my receiver (Marantz 5007) and from there into a Darbee video processor then my Panasonic VT-50. Because the 103 puts out such a high quality video signal, should I include it in the chain or connect the 103's video output directly to the TV? If I include in the chain, would I use "Video Direct" as the output setting for the Oppo?

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Steve
post #15855 of 18480 Old 03-13-2014, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Generally, there is no benefit with bypassing the receiver for video, so a single HDMI connection through the receiver should be good enough. You will just want to change the receiver to Video Direct or similar to make sure that it does not do any additional video processing.
post #15856 of 18480 Old 03-13-2014, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thank you very much!
post #15857 of 18480 Old 03-13-2014, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thought I would say hello as I have now joined the OPPO-103 owner list. Playing with it inside on the bedroom tv until I get the media room setup (about a month or so).
Ricker62 likes this.
post #15858 of 18480 Old 03-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnymoZ View Post

TV broadcasting and movies through the STB have been fine... its just the Blu ray I had trouble with so far.

With Panny ZT60, have my Oppo set for 120 msec delay for the directly connected HDMI 1, and Oppo set to no delay for HDMI 2 connection to receiver. Both seemed to be synchronized last time I checked (usually just about always use HDMI 1 direct connect to the TV). Oppo HDMI 1 direct connect seems to be only component in my system where audio and video are out of sync.
post #15859 of 18480 Old 03-13-2014, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Thanks, Bob. I'll check out another room. I'm in one of those oddball places with no dimmers. I guess it could be the cheap CFLs.
Try any CFL's. Take it from a guitar/sound guy - ALL FLs give off LOTS of RFI - even the "compact" ones. You ought to hear what they do with guitar pickups.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #15860 of 18480 Old 03-14-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post

Thought I would say hello as I have now joined the OPPO-103 owner list. Playing with it inside on the bedroom tv until I get the media room setup (about a month or so).

Hello. Have fun with it. We all do. smile.gif
Ricker62 likes this.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #15861 of 18480 Old 03-14-2014, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello. Recent 103 owner and I'm having an issue with my player which so far I can't correct. And that is whenever the movie finishes playing, it starts all over again, rather than the player stopping. So far I have just played one Blue Ray (Disney's Haunted Mansion, several times with the same result) and more recently a DVD, The Last Stand. On both of these discs, the movie starts to repeat , rather than stopping when the film is over. I checked and re-read the section in the manual dealing with repeat playback, using the button on the remote, which has on-screen options like chapter repeat, disc repeat, etc., which can be scrolled thru with each press of the button on the remote, but there is no option which says something like "no repeat" or "repeat cancel." What might be going here? I have written to Oppo about this, but so far, they haven't offered me a solution. I never had a problem like this with my 83SE, which is now being used as an audio-only player in my 2-channel system. Thanks!
post #15862 of 18480 Old 03-14-2014, 08:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moore View Post

Hello. Recent 103 owner and I'm having an issue with my player which so far I can't correct. And that is whenever the movie finishes playing, it starts all over again, rather than the player stopping. So far I have just played one Blue Ray (Disney's Haunted Mansion, several times with the same result) and more recently a DVD, The Last Stand. On both of these discs, the movie starts to repeat , rather than stopping when the film is over. I checked and re-read the section in the manual dealing with repeat playback, using the button on the remote, which has on-screen options like chapter repeat, disc repeat, etc., which can be scrolled thru with each press of the button on the remote, but there is no option which says something like "no repeat" or "repeat cancel." What might be going here? I have written to Oppo about this, but so far, they haven't offered me a solution. I never had a problem like this with my 83SE, which is now being used as an audio-only player in my 2-channel system. Thanks!
I don't recall anyone having your problem, but that doesn't mean much. If you don't hear by Monday you might want to call them. Many times they respond to emails over the weekend.

In the mean time you can always eject the disc when it's finished. That's probably what you did already. Some cleaver person may know a setting to change, but you may have a rare malfunction that needs repair. Does your new OPPO have the current firmware installed?

Calibration Resources:

post #15863 of 18480 Old 03-14-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I don't recall anyone having your problem, but that doesn't mean much. If you don't hear by Monday you might want to call them. Many times they respond to emails over the weekend.

In the mean time you can always eject the disc when it's finished. That's probably what you did already. Some cleaver person may know a setting to change, but you may have a rare malfunction that needs repair. Does your new OPPO have the current firmware installed?
Yep. February firmware installed. That's about the first thing I did after hooking it up. I'm going to try some more discs over the weekend, but should the repeat options displayed on screen include the "no or do not repeat option?" I just bypassed the others and thought that if none were selected, it would tell the player NOT to repeat.
post #15864 of 18480 Old 03-14-2014, 10:02 PM

Liked: 29
Well I am now a member of the Oppo Club.....and a happy one at that!! I took delivery of a BDP-103 this afternoon. I updated the firmware, went through all the menu options, calibrated the picture, and was watching Blu-Rays in under two hours. As I went through all the menu options I marveled at how logical, well thought out, and understandable the menu's were.....as well as the manual. Wow! Sure beats anything in my memory.

Picture quality was superb, Blu-Ray audio quality was superb, CD playback felt initially lean, but after a few hours of listening, the lower mids filled out, the hi end lost it's "tizz" and the soundstage width and depth grew and "congealed" into a "wall to wall" solid tapestry of music. Happy! Happy! Happy!

Summing it all up I can only say, "Thank You Oppo"

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel)
Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Emotiva UMC-1 (Processor)
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's
Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds
Oppo BDP-103
post #15865 of 18480 Old 03-15-2014, 12:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moore View Post

I'm going to try some more discs over the weekend, but should the repeat options displayed on screen include the "no or do not repeat option?" I just bypassed the others and thought that if none were selected, it would tell the player NOT to repeat.
If you don't select a repeat option then there shouldn't be any form of repeat happening. I have the OPPO 93, but it shouldn't be different than the OPPO 103 in the general way that it works.

Calibration Resources:

post #15866 of 18480 Old 03-15-2014, 04:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Some discs are authored as automatic start -- i.e., you don't get presented with a Top Menu first. Those discs WILL start over again on their own when they reach the end.

Other discs are authored to time out on Top Menu. If you don't do something for a while the disc exits Top Menu and starts the feature on its own.

The studios keep playing around with this stuff. I think they just get bored doing it the same way every time.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #15867 of 18480 Old 03-15-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:

Some discs are authored as automatic start -- i.e., you don't get presented with a Top Menu first. Those discs WILL start over again on their own when they reach the end.

Other discs are authored to time out on Top Menu. If you don't do something for a while the disc exits Top Menu and starts the feature on its own.

The studios keep playing around with this stuff. I think they just get bored doing it the same way every time.

--Bob
I have my player set to begin playback as soon as the drawer closes. Would this have anything to do with the "repeat" problem? I used my 83SE for over 2 years in my home theatre and never had a problem with a disc starting over once the feature had completed. Was I just lucky? I know that some discs start out with a gaggle of previews which can't be stopped without first using a sledge hammer. Are these the ones you're talking about? Strangely, on "Haunted Mansion" BD the top menu isn't available until the feature starts. How dumb is that?
post #15868 of 18480 Old 03-15-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustan View Post

Well I am now a member of the Oppo Club.....and a happy one at that!! I took delivery of a BDP-103 this afternoon. I updated the firmware, went through all the menu options, calibrated the picture, and was watching Blu-Rays in under two hours. As I went through all the menu options I marveled at how logical, well thought out, and understandable the menu's were.....as well as the manual. Wow! Sure beats anything in my memory.

Picture quality was superb, Blu-Ray audio quality was superb, CD playback felt initially lean, but after a few hours of listening, the lower mids filled out, the hi end lost it's "tizz" and the soundstage width and depth grew and "congealed" into a "wall to wall" solid tapestry of music. Happy! Happy! Happy!

Summing it all up I can only say, "Thank You Oppo"
Just curious. Are you listening to CDs thru the HDMI connection or from the analog outs? I know the 103 doesn't have the dedicated 2-channel outs that the 83SE has, so I'm assuming you're just using the front left and right RCAs. Correct? I'm also a Maggie owner, but just in my 2-channel system I have the 3.5s and feel that I should probably upgrade to 3.7s, but that's a lot of cash!
post #15869 of 18480 Old 03-15-2014, 07:38 AM

Liked: 29
William Moore

Yes the new improved 3.7i is a lot of money.....and a lot of love!

I am listening, at the moment thru HDMI. I will soon give the analogs a shot and see if it makes any difference for CD's. I need to wrap my head around how to include the sub in the "analog" wiring scheme. As it stands this moment, I wouldn't think the Oppo would have beens such an improvement over my PS3 (yeah I know, I know!) but it is much more more musical both "technically and musically".

Would you mind telling us more about your systems, you seem to have more than one. I am always a sucker for how we endeavor to enjoy our theater and music.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR)
Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel)
Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds)
Rythmik F12 (Sub)
Emotiva UMC-1 (Processor)
Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's
Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds
Oppo BDP-103
post #15870 of 18480 Old 03-15-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

--Bob
My first thought was that I have not run into one of the disks you're describing with our 83 and then with the 93. Then slowly out of the muck came the thought, "When was the last time you watched the credits to the bloody end?"

"Almost never." came the sharp reply. wink.gif
jskang likes this.

Calibration Resources:

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Se50uy04 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page