Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 532 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #15931 of 18019 Old 03-20-2014, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So Best Buy Magnolia carries Oppo now? How long has that been the case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15932 of 18019 Old 03-20-2014, 11:11 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecollector View Post

Long time.

-Bill
post #15933 of 18019 Old 03-20-2014, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

I bought mine there a month or so ago, but they have had them long before that..
post #15934 of 18019 Old 03-20-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

They carried the OPPO BDP-93/95 models. How long ago was that?
post #15935 of 18019 Old 03-20-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by spida_singh View Post

There is a 2.0 version of the tool biggrin.gif

Ive used it many times, and it works fine biggrin.gif.

http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=attachment&aid=MjY0MTAyfGVlYjFlNTI5fDEzOTQ5Njk0ODh8MHw1NjQ3MQ%3D%3D

Would you know what was changed in this version? TIA.
post #15936 of 18019 Old 03-20-2014, 12:34 PM

I never used the initial version but I know this one scans a whole hard drive and makes the required changes. It also can restore it back to its original state should you ever need to.
post #15937 of 18019 Old 03-20-2014, 01:18 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by malikarshad View Post

I have Comast Tier 2 connection with avg download speed of 50Mbps and 11 Mbps upload.
The resolution always hovers between 240 SD to 384 SD and never reaches HD resolution even after waiting for 30 mins .But when i play the same movie on PS3 during the same time it automatically locks at HD resolution within few secs.
Roku also has the same problem.

The video is set to "Source Direct" to Lumagen Radiance VP on HDMI1. I also tried switching it to 1080p but the same issue.

I also called Netflix and they said there is no problem at their end and asked me to contact Comcast/Xfinity. Calling Comcast is useless.

So if Comcast is throttling then why PS3 is able to stream in HD resolution and oppo is scaled down to un-watchable SD stream?
Is Comcast throttling based on the device?

Has somebody experienced that same thing between different Netflix streaming devices?
It may be the software that each device is using to connect to Netflex......
post #15938 of 18019 Old 03-20-2014, 03:22 PM

Just contacted Oppo to see if THEY could downgrade the firmware to 38-1220 if I ship it back to them. It'd be worth it to me.
We'll see what they say...........

Here is my current gear: Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver, CarverTFM-35 Front Amp, Sony EX55-720 3D TV, Oppo BDP-103 3D Blu-Ray Player, Panasonic DMB-BD50 Blu-Ray Player (for Cinavia encrusted copy playback), Polk RTI-12 Fronts, Polk LSiM703 Rears, Polk DSW Pro600, Older Infinity Center.
post #15939 of 18019 Old 03-20-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post

Hi -

I was hoping for some second opinions...

I have contacted OPPO about the occasional loud pop / momentary audio loss I have been experiencing when streaming Netflix over wifi with the 103.  Their troubleshooting has focused on my audio connection...

Which leads me to my next question - I can configure my analog speaker config with the Marantz or with the OPPO...which one supersedes the other?  Should I have the Marantz all set to 0, and use the OPPO to configure the speakers...or vice versa?  How does the system know which to apply?

Last question - does anyone believe that the occasional loud pop / momentary audio loss I have been experiencing when streaming Netflix over wifi has anything to do with my audio going bitstream over an optical cable?
T

I had the same issue ( speaker popping ) using an optical connection. Changing to 7.1 analog out to my Onkyo receiver fixed the problem.
post #15940 of 18019 Old 03-21-2014, 06:10 AM

Having trouble playing MKV files now...... these are movie files that play on the PC (VLC player). but the Oppo won't play them. It see's the files and lists them but has 0 information and says file format not supported. Any ideas why?

Here is my current gear: Onkyo TX-NR809 Receiver, CarverTFM-35 Front Amp, Sony EX55-720 3D TV, Oppo BDP-103 3D Blu-Ray Player, Panasonic DMB-BD50 Blu-Ray Player (for Cinavia encrusted copy playback), Polk RTI-12 Fronts, Polk LSiM703 Rears, Polk DSW Pro600, Older Infinity Center.
post #15941 of 18019 Old 03-21-2014, 06:25 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DFREAK View Post

Having trouble playing MKV files now...... these are movie files that play on the PC (VLC player). but the Oppo won't play them. It see's the files and lists them but has 0 information and says file format not supported. Any ideas why?

More information, please.

Is this on local USB, network SMB or DLNA?

There are free utilities mediainfo and mkvinfo. Post the text report from either one for one of your problem files.

-Bill
post #15942 of 18019 Old 03-21-2014, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

plus, were they ever working on your setup, and just stopped, or is this a new setup?

I play mkvs all the time through this player effortlessly..
post #15943 of 18019 Old 03-21-2014, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I was really surprised to learn that recently too when I decided to seriously shop for a new BD player. I'd been planning on getting an Oppo, but had assumed that I would just order it direct. I happened to be in a Best Buy picking up a new gaming headset and decided to wander around the store a bit. I happened to be ogling the equipment in the Magnolia section when I noticed they had the 105. I asked about the 103 and they had it too. Bought it the next weekend. biggrin.gif
post #15944 of 18019 Old 03-21-2014, 09:09 AM

I'm a current owner of a BDP-93 and was thinking of upgrading to the 103. I was hoping people here could help me with some questions:

- Is there any way to play back rips of 3D blu ray's? I know .iso's aren't supported, but MakeMKV has a direct-rip 3D option. Does the 103 play those files, or anything like it?

- Can the 103 display PGS subtitles in .mkv files? The 93 definitely can not.

- Does the 103 support all audio tracks? My 93 locks up if I try to play files with DTSMA audio and some random others.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
post #15945 of 18019 Old 03-21-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Yes. If you are on peak hours you will expect to see sub-HD resolutions. Off peak hours you should get HD or better. This is an issue that was introduced when Netflix switched to SuperHD for all customers back in September and is something that will be fixed either on Netflix's back-end or the API used in the player.

Maybe this is relevant: http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-03-21/netflix-just-opened-the-door-to-paying-isps-more-access-fees
post #15946 of 18019 Old 03-21-2014, 11:04 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robneal81 View Post

I'm a current owner of a BDP-93 and was thinking of upgrading to the 103. I was hoping people here could help me with some questions:

- Is there any way to play back rips of 3D blu ray's? I know .iso's aren't supported, but MakeMKV has a direct-rip 3D option. Does the 103 play those files, or anything like it?

- Can the 103 display PGS subtitles in .mkv files? The 93 definitely can not.

- Does the 103 support all audio tracks? My 93 locks up if I try to play files with DTSMA audio and some random others.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Yes to the last two. I'll have to check PGS over DLNA; there was an issue at one time. Local USB and SMB should be ok.

I'll let someone else handle 3D. I believe the answer is "yes" but there might be stipulations.

-Bill
JJMONIE likes this.
post #15947 of 18019 Old 03-21-2014, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

if you rip a 3d video, and save it as an MKV, and your tv is 3d,(obviously), yes, you can play 3d mkv's on the 103..
post #15948 of 18019 Old 03-21-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Yes to the last two. I'll have to check PGS over DLNA; there was an issue at one time. Local USB and SMB should be ok.

Thanks. I'd only be using USB and SMB anyway, so that's perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

if you rip a 3d video, and save it as an MKV, and your tv is 3d,(obviously), yes, you can play 3d mkv's on the 103..

Great, thanks.
post #15949 of 18019 Old 03-21-2014, 12:53 PM

I have a question about the lip sync with my OPPO 103 and my Pioneer Elite SC68.

I read all I can about the issue and understand about using OPPO's delay feature to get back in sync.

I'm just curious about what the cause is???

My OPPO is connected via split HDMI. Both HDMI connections go to the Pioneer.

When I watch a Blu Ray, I use HDMI 1. I do this because the video processing is on HDMI 1 only, right?

I read the manual, and saw that for Audio, DSD only goes through HDMI2. I wanted to use the Pioneer's processing of DSD material. So, if I listen to an SACD, I listen on a different input on my Pioneer.

When I watch a blu ray (HDMI1), I have a lip sync problem. It seems pretty consistent on all material.

I happen to have another Blu Ray player connected to my Pioneer. If I watch the same material there is no lip sync. Only from the OPPO.

I find myself obsessing whether I have the delay set just right..... I know that I shouldn't worry about it, but I am curious as to the cause.

I keep looking to see if I have any processing going on with the Pioneer or Oppo, but I think they are all turned off (or at least consistent between the input for both Blu Ray players).

Any ideas are appreciated.

Jack
post #15950 of 18019 Old 03-21-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackVette View Post

I have a question about the lip sync with my OPPO 103 and my Pioneer Elite SC68.

I read all I can about the issue and understand about using OPPO's delay feature to get back in sync.

When I watch a Blu Ray, I use HDMI 1. I do this because the video processing is on HDMI 1 only, right?

I read the manual, and saw that for Audio, DSD only goes through HDMI2. I wanted to use the Pioneer's processing of DSD material. So, if I listen to an SACD, I listen on a different input on my Pioneer.

When I watch a blu ray (HDMI1), I have a lip sync problem. It seems pretty consistent on all material.

I happen to have another Blu Ray player connected to my Pioneer. If I watch the same material there is no lip sync. Only from the OPPO.

I find myself obsessing whether I have the delay set just right..... I know that I shouldn't worry about it, but I am curious as to the cause.

I keep looking to see if I have any processing going on with the Pioneer or Oppo, but I think they are all turned off (or at least consistent between the input for both Blu Ray players).

Jack
I'm using HDMI2 into my 68 and have no lip sync problems with BDs unless there are problems inherent to the disk. I have only a single HDMI connection to my Pioneer. I am also on the latest firmware. You might want to try that.

Because HDMI does a slight amount of video processing (noise reduction) from the Oppo, this might be the source of the sync problems.

post #15951 of 18019 Old 03-21-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

I'm using HDMI2 into my 68 and have no lip sync problems with BDs unless there are problems inherent to the disk. I have only a single HDMI connection to my Pioneer. I am also on the latest firmware. You might want to try that.

Because HDMI does a slight amount of video processing (noise reduction) from the Oppo, this might be the source of the sync problems.

My lip sync issue is via HDMI 1. Since I use HDMI 2 only for SACD, I don't know if I have an issue. Interesting idea though. I'll watch something through HDMI 2 and see if there is a lip sync problem....
post #15952 of 18019 Old 03-21-2014, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackVette View Post

Jack

I have a Pioneer Elite VSX 70 and an Oppo 103 and have a lip sync issue with blu rays only and solved this using the Oppo AV sync function and finally finding the correct setting to use. The numbers go from -200 to +200.  It took a bit of trial and error but now it is good to go. No issues when watching DirecTv or Roku streaming. 

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
post #15953 of 18019 Old 03-21-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 54
You can find an A/V Sync Test in the Disney Wow disc and others. It's simple to use and you can see how far off the sync is and correct it.
post #15954 of 18019 Old 03-22-2014, 07:29 AM

Hi all,

I'm sure this may have been answered already but I was unable to find it. After a month of trying to get SMB shares to work with my new PC and 103, I gave up and took the advice of many of this forum and downloaded oShare.

This works great for streaming my Blu Ray rips from my Windows 7 PC to my 103.

One question I have is I have Letters From Iwo Jima ripped to MKV and while playing it on the Oppo, no subtitles show up even when I select the subtitle I want. Subtitles do show up on my PC so I am wondering if there is a setting on the Oppo or subtitles cannot be streamed this way.

Apologies if this has been addressed before. Many thanks.

JJ

JJ
post #15955 of 18019 Old 03-22-2014, 07:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMONIE View Post

Hi all,

I'm sure this may have been answered already but I was unable to find it. After a month of trying to get SMB shares to work with my new PC and 103, I gave up and took the advice of many of this forum and downloaded oShare.

This works great for streaming my Blu Ray rips from my Windows 7 PC to my 103.

One question I have is I have Letters From Iwo Jima ripped to MKV and while playing it on the Oppo, no subtitles show up even when I select the subtitle I want. Subtitles do show up on my PC so I am wondering if there is a setting on the Oppo or subtitles cannot be streamed this way.

Apologies if this has been addressed before. Many thanks.

JJ

The subtitles are probably PGS format (which is normal for Blu-ray) which at one time did not work over DLNA. I keep meaning to check this in the current firmware.

PGS does work over SMB and on local storage. Before that we would convert the subtitles to hidef VOBSUB (which in its standard def variant is normal on DVD), but that is a bit of work.

-Bill
JJMONIE likes this.
post #15956 of 18019 Old 03-22-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:

The subtitles are probably PGS format (which is normal for Blu-ray) which at one time did not work over DLNA. I keep meaning to check this in the current firmware.

PGS does work over SMB and on local storage. Before that we would convert the subtitles to hidef VOBSUB (which in its standard def variant is normal on DVD), but that is a bit of work.

-Bill

Thanks Bill! Much appreciated. Now if I can only get SMB to work with my 103. Still get the username and password screen.

JJ

JJ
post #15957 of 18019 Old 03-22-2014, 07:58 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMONIE View Post

Thanks Bill! Much appreciated. Now if I can only get SMB to work with my 103. Still get the username and password screen.

JJ

All I know about Windows is how to swear at it, but people do have success with SMB on Windows 7. Windows 8 seems even more troublesome for SMB.

Rather than fight it I would get a little NAS box. They usually have both SMB and DLNA.

-Bill
post #15958 of 18019 Old 03-22-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:

All I know about Windows is how to swear at it, but people do have success with SMB on Windows 7. Windows 8 seems even more troublesome for SMB.

Rather than fight it I would get a little NAS box. They usually have both SMB and DLNA.

-Bill

Thanks again Bill. I'll try it on my WDTV.

JJ

JJ
post #15959 of 18019 Old 03-22-2014, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Where do most members purchase their players from? Amazon or Oppo directly?

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #15960 of 18019 Old 03-22-2014, 08:12 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I bought my oppo from amazon. I did normal shipping but the unit arrived straight from oppo in 2 days. So, I was impressed. smile.gif

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page