Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post

I smell a troll cool.gif
Me too... Sadly we've had a few eek.gif
Ricker62 likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16472 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

BobbyES

CEC is a system that is supposed to allow one device to control another device. With CEC, for example, turning on your TV could also turn on your Blu-Ray player. Sony has called their version Bravia Sync, though I don't know if that is the current name. This feature is notorious for not working very well. Since making a change in your Sony TV turns the Oppo on and off, CEC sounds like the most likely culprit since that is the only way that your TV and the Oppo player can interact.

There are settings in the setup menus in both your TV and the Oppo that allow you to turn the feature on and off. I would suggest turning it off in both places. If you don't know how to find them, check the owner's manuals for both products.

I second this with the following amplification: The Harmony remotes expect know the current state of the system that they are controlling. Changes that happen via CEC are NOT visible to the harmony remote (or any other remote, for that matter). As such, when CEC is being used in a system, the remote will become terribly confused about what is on, what is off, what inputs/outputs are selected, what to turn on, what to turn off, etc. As such, you need to turn CEC off for ALL of the devices in your system if you are using any reasonably-sophisticated universal remote.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #16473 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I notice they have not had a new firmware in a couple months. Has anyone heard about a new firmware coming soon?
post #16474 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 09:38 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

I notice they have not had a new firmware in a couple months. Has anyone heard about a new firmware coming soon?

Strong hints in the -105 thread.

-Bill
post #16475 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I think this is more content related but I was wondering if I could get some help understanding this issue and the cable set-up.

I have an Oppo 103 connected to an B&K AVR 202, which doesn't have HDMI connections, in the following manner:  

·         For BluRay's I'm using the Oppo 103 COAXIAL OUT to the B&K COAXIAL IN DVD (green "1" in the image).

·         For CD's I'm using the Oppo 103 AUDIO OUT (FL/FR channels) to the B&K LINE IN CD (green "2" in the image).

Oppo mentioned that there may be bandwidth limitations using coaxial/optical lines and recommends using the AUDIO OUT (5.1 in my set-up) to the B&K Surround Outputs (matching the Oppo 5.1 output or red "3" in the image).

Click for larger image:

All content I've encounter so far I have been able play using the green "1" setup, but when I went to play Total Recall (new remake) the sound kept cutting out due to those bandwidth limitations (i.e. Dolby True format).  By that I mean the actual feature film - the previews and special features are spotty on the different titles and will cut in/out.

The Oppo manual says that it should send a reduce resolution signal, but it doesn't seem to be doing so with that particular title... so I'm not sure why the sound keeps cutting in/out during the main feature???

If I hook-up the unit as Oppo suggests as indicated in the image "3," how is the sound affected... I'm curious as to if there is a huge difference in the quality of the sound that I'll get between the Coaxial and analog - versions???

post #16476 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 10:57 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 916
^ Blu-ray discs typically come with high bit-rate audio tracks for the feature. This could be DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD or multi-channel LPCM.

The S/PDIF outputs (Coax and Optical) can't carry those tracks. However, every Blu-ray is also obliged to have a "compatibility" audio track for just such occasions -- typically either traditional, lossy DD or DTS as found on SD-DVD discs. That's on the disc even if it does not show in the disc's audio choices. When you listen on the Coax or Optical outputs, it is the compatibility track that you are hearing.

If you want to hear the full quality of the high bit-rate audio track on such discs you have two options: Either HDMI audio into an HDMI-capable receiver, or multi-channel Analog audio.

When you listen on the multi-channel Analog outputs, the OPPO decodes the full quality audio track and converts that to Analog for output. You are hearing the "real" track, not the "compatibility" track.

Setting up to listen via multi-channel Analog audio may be a bit more complex than using Optical or Coax through your Receiver. For example, you should check for volume match between your speakers (and in particular for you Subwoofer) using an audio calibration disc. I recommend the LPCM test tracks on AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray. It is good to use a Sound Pressure Level (SPL) meter when doing this. Everyone uses the inexpensive, digital readout meter sold by Radio Shack.

The NORMAL situation when running multi-channel Analog through a Receiver is that the Receiver does nothing but Volume control. That means you will also need to get familiar with the Settings in the OPPO for things like Speaker Distance, Volume Trim, and Crossover Frequency for speakers you set to "Small".

Another advantage of using multi-channel Analog for audio instead of Optical or Coax is that you will be able to play audiophile music discs such as SACD or DVD-A discs.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #16477 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopp View Post

I think this is more content related but I was wondering if I could get some help understanding this issue and the cable set-up.

I have an Oppo 103 connected to an B&K AVR 202, which doesn't have HDMI connections, in the following manner:  

·         For BluRay's I'm using the Oppo 103 COAXIAL OUT to the B&K COAXIAL IN DVD (green "1" in the image).

·         For CD's I'm using the Oppo 103 AUDIO OUT (FL/FR channels) to the B&K LINE IN CD (green "2" in the image).

Oppo mentioned that there may be bandwidth limitations using coaxial/optical lines and recommends using the AUDIO OUT (5.1 in my set-up) to the B&K Surround Outputs (matching the Oppo 5.1 output or red "3" in the image).

I'm squinting at your photos, but those jacks by the red 3 on your receiver look like preamp OUTPUTs. You can't connect the BDP's output to those jacks.

post #16478 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Hopp, it really would be better if you just used the multi-channel analog outputs to make the setup easier.
You will also not get the reduced audio bandwidth that the manual describes.
You really shouldn't be getting dropouts though either way, so that is a separate issue.
It sounds like some kind of handshaking issue in your setup.
I would suggest trying to hook up the 5.1/7.1 analog connections and then see if the problem is still there.
If not, then you killed 2 birds with one stone so to speak and are better off.

Realize also, that all of the outputs on the player are active 24/7 unless you have settings prohibiting it to do so.
You could hook up the multi-ch analog output AND also use the coax/optical connections for something else, or as a comparison.
Honestly though, there's no reason not to use the multi-ch analog for all your audio.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #16479 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

I'm squinting at your photos, but those jacks by the red 3 on your receiver look like preamp OUTPUTs. You can't connect the BDP's output to those jacks.
Quote:

Yep, looks to me like he has no analog inputs on that unit in which case he is sort of screwed for high-quality audio.

post #16480 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the quick feedback, I really appreciate your input and its help me gain a better understanding of this.

It's been a while since I had to think about anything AV related as my system was serving me well.  But all things must change.

The CRT went out a little while ago and I upgraded to a plasma (Panasonic VT60), got the Oppo on a recommendation from a trusted sales person and just made the simplest connections I could with the Oppo and B&K....  Only realizing I'm going to have to upgrade the AVR after I started hooking things up.

Dooh!!!  I feel like a total noob - Thanks for pointing out OUTPUT's bweismann - I kept looking at it and it wasn't really registering... but I was thinking the B&K AVR 202 didn't have those separate analog inputs (as it was so "cutting edge" back-in-the-day with the fancy coaxial and digital inputs ;-)  ).

Well I guess I was asleep during 15-years of tech advances and I've got to start researching again for another AVR...

Don't even know where to begin that one, looks like B&K aint even on the radar anymore???  Emotiva?

post #16481 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Depending on your budget, there are lots of good AVRs these days. The good folks over on the AVR section of these forums should be able to help you get started in your quest. Unfortunately, 15-year-old AVRs just don't have what you need any more. You'll be amazed at what current ones can do.

post #16482 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:

Yep, looks to me like he has no analog inputs on that unit in which case he is sort of screwed for high-quality audio.
That's what I see too... Might indeed be time to look for a new amp wink.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #16483 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

Quote:

I don't know - this manual says that they can be used as inputs, but an internal switch has to be turned on, which you need to contact service for eek.gif
post #16484 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

I don't know - this manual says that they can be used as inputs, but an internal switch has to be turned on, which you need to contact service for eek.gif
That's very clever of B&K. This would increase the life of the amp. Nice find wink.gif

post #16485 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 01:27 PM

The unit was set up correctly and worked shortly in a correct manner. All of a sudden you would give your tv a command and it would turn off. Then it started turning off just because. Now you can not even turn the volume of the TV up or down because it tells the crappy OPPO to a turn on or off. This is a piece of crap unit and no one at OPPO knows what to do about it. This may sound strange but at this time the only answer is to purchase another unit and not OPPO. This is one terrible company in which is making sub par units with now reduced warranties. I have it plugged into a power strip now because it turns on and off with the TV control volume. Nothing suggested in this forum has worked including technical support. They even told me it will cost more to repair than just buying a new unit. No labor warranty on the 103 after 30 days. When not using it it has to be powered down, no power to the unit.

Bob
post #16486 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyES View Post

They even told me it will cost more to repair than just buying a new unit. No labor warranty on the 103 after 30 days.
Bob

Oppo didn't tell you that. The unit has a full 2 year warranty, no questions asked. I suspect you haven't spoken to Oppo at all. Whatever store you got it from is telling you a bunch of hooey.
Ricker62 likes this.
post #16487 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Lol. Is this guy for real?!
RayWK likes this.

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

My first HT build threadhttp://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...rst-build.html
post #16488 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Either that or someone is selling phony Oppo players. My bet would be we have a troll though since this guy posted earlier with the same complaints and was given a whole bunch of things to try that would probably fix all his problems and he has ignored them. I think we should now ignore him.
RayWK likes this.

post #16489 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 01:47 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Dunno, but he's got 10 thumbs up for 3 posts, so he must be doing something right... biggrin.gif
post #16490 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Dunno, but he's got 10 thumbs up for 3 posts, so he must be doing something right... biggrin.gif
This begs an 'off-topic' question... Why does this forum automatically award 10 thumbs to new members?

post #16491 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

To make them feel good?

post #16492 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Help. Has anyone had success using the 103 to upscale to 4k with the 39" Seiki 4k TV ? Bought the Seiki to use as a PC monitor. Seiki says "not supported" when sent 4k from Oppo. Tried 4k forced from Oppo and that didn't work either. Thought I would try here before contacting Oppo. Thanks
post #16493 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyES View Post

The unit was set up correctly and worked shortly in a correct manner. All of a sudden you would give your tv a command and it would turn off. Then it started turning off just because. Now you can not even turn the volume of the TV up or down because it tells the crappy OPPO to a turn on or off. This is a piece of crap unit and no one at OPPO knows what to do about it. This may sound strange but at this time the only answer is to purchase another unit and not OPPO. This is one terrible company in which is making sub par units with now reduced warranties. I have it plugged into a power strip now because it turns on and off with the TV control volume. Nothing suggested in this forum has worked including technical support. They even told me it will cost more to repair than just buying a new unit. No labor warranty on the 103 after 30 days. When not using it it has to be powered down, no power to the unit.

Bob
Did you buy a second hand OPPO 103 that's over two years old? That's probably not possible unless you got a pre-production player.

Do you have proof of purchase from an authorized dealer? Would that be BB's Magnolia department?

Do you know that OPPO frequently repairs their players free even after the two year warranty has expired?

Are you actually in contact with OPPO?

Have you followed any advice that you've been provided?

Nothing you've posted is consistent with anything ever reported by an owner of any OPPO player. That's especially true of your claim that OPPO has reduced their warranty from two years to thirty days, and that OPPO don't know what to do with your problem. Based on how you've communicated with this OPPO owner's thread, it's hard for me to see how anyone will be able to help you.

Have you turned off CEC in your Sony display, your AVR, and the OPPO player? Do you need help figuring out how to do that?

Do you need help finding out which firmware version is installed in your OPPO?
post #16494 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I have an Oppo 103 that won't play my VHS tapes. Oppo and BestBuy won't do anything! An I just supposed to throw this $500 player in the trash?!?!?!
jgambino likes this.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #16495 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Lmao

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

My first HT build threadhttp://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...rst-build.html
post #16496 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

I have an Oppo 103 that won't play my VHS tapes. Oppo and BestBuy won't do anything! An I just supposed to throw this $500 player in the trash?!?!?!
Bummer... Surely you can use the Oppo's disc tray as a cup holder!?
Ricker62, RayWK and Musky45 like this.

post #16497 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Bummer... Surely you can use the Oppo's disc tray as a cup holder!?

That's silly. I already use that little motorized tray on my PC for that.
Ricker62 and RayWK like this.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #16498 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

That's silly. I already use that little motorized tray on my PC for that.

Thank goodness for the coffee cup tray on my pc. I was up all night looking for the "any" key while reading instruction for a software install.
RayWK likes this.
post #16499 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 04:14 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

AVS gives you a "gift" of 10 Thumbs Up for signing up.
--Bob
RayWK likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #16500 of 18779 Old 04-26-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 151
gsr, pbarach, dmusoke and 1 others like this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page