Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 553 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16561 of 17636 Old 04-29-2014, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm curious about DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion. I use the BDP-103 FR/FL analog outputs to listen via an Asgard-2 on Sennheiser HD650s. If I set the Audio Format Setup > SACD Output > DSD, I lose audio on my receiver (on HDMI1, not DSD-capable) but hear the sound in the headphones fine, as expected. I presume this is the DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion function occurring.
If I chose SACD Output > Auto, are my FL/FR analog outs still being treated to the DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion, or is it going to be PCM-to-analog due to the need to convert to PCM on HDMI1 for my receiver?
I sure love this setup, either way smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16562 of 17636 Old 04-29-2014, 10:57 PM

Liked: 56
@Auldian :
you can check it by variable output level (oppo) and analog outputs (your HP). If you can not adjust volume with oppo, then you are listening DSD-Direct-to-Analog.

Panasonic TX-P42GT50E, Oppo 103, Schiit Vali, Denon AHD2000 + Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3, Phonak Audeo 121, Vsonic GR07, Fiio E17, Cowon S9, XLO cables :: CalMAN 5 Enthusiast,Chromapure Standard, i1D3, i1Display 2, TED's Calibration Blu Ray Disc v1.0 & v1.1
post #16563 of 17636 Old 04-29-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsut View Post

@Auldian :
you can check it by variable output level (oppo) and analog outputs (your HP). If you can not adjust volume with oppo, then you are listening DSD-Direct-to-Analog.
Excellent, thanks )
post #16564 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 01:10 AM

Liked: 12
How is the dlna on 103 compared to 93? You still need a media server running on the PC? Is it faster in the menu? Is mkv with muxed subs handled the same?
post #16565 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 03:52 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslan1 View Post

How is the dlna on 103 compared to 93? You still need a media server running on the PC? Is it faster in the menu? Is mkv with muxed subs handled the same?

DLNA always requires a server. The -103 also support SMB.

MKV subs: was there an issue?

-Bill
post #16566 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

How is the dlna on 103 compared to 93?

There are a few improved features..
The 103 can support both push and pull play, whereas I think the 93 could only do pull (??)
Also the 103 supports playing of more formats than the 93

Quote:

You still need a media server running on the PC?

Yes. UPnP DLNA is -- by definition -- a communication via Ethernet between a Digital Media Server and a Digital Media Player (renderer). However, the 103 also added a new feature -- which is not UPnP -- where it can play media off a USB disk plugged into its USB port.

Quote:

Is it faster in the menu?

Yes, the 103 is faster in loading the first pages of a long media listing. Older models had to wait until the whole list had been downloaded before the first page would display.

Quote:

Is mkv with muxed subs handled the same?

I don't know.
post #16567 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

DLNA always requires a server. The -103 also support SMB.

MKV subs: was there an issue?

-Bill

Don't know SMB myself, so it's easier and better than DLNA?

I always had some problems with subs on my 93 but it could be how the file was made. With anime and mkv I often see subs skipping, they don't keep up and the result is some spoken stuff is missing. Also seen that on other asian movies on dlna+mkv. Might be what kind of subs it is (ass, srt..) and how they are integrated. Most modern american series seem to work though.
post #16568 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 04:14 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Don't know SMB myself, so it's easier and better than DLNA?

It's a standard file sharing technique for local networks, so most people already have it and use it.

NAS and Linux servers seem relatively trouble free. Windows users often report permissions obstacles that are always mysterious. Mac: I forget the status there.
Quote:
I always had some problems with subs on my 93 but it could be how the file was made. With anime and mkv I often see subs skipping, they don't keep up and the result is some spoken stuff is missing. Also seen that on other asian movies on dlna+mkv. Might be what kind of subs it is (ass, srt..) and how they are integrated. Most modern american series seem to work though.

I'm not recalling reports of that. Embedded text subtitles should be ok (or not, if you have some specific issues). External subtitles won't work over DLNA, but do work on local storage and SMB.

-Bill
post #16569 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 79
because there isnt an "official" DLNA standard, results are often a mixed bag; I use a WD DX4000 server for my NAS box, and until the last month or so, I was able to stream everything from it through the OPPO; recently, some of the .mkv's I have downloaded will NOT be seen on the OPPO, no matter what I do; I have transcoded, and converted the files, but still some of the new ones are not visible, in the SAME directory as many others that are..
I downloaded Serviio DLNA server software yesterday, and installed in on my pc, and now all those formerly "unseen" videos will show up on my computer, but NOT on my WD NAS box when looking for them through the WD directory in the OPPO Network Menu; I think there is a way to somehow install Serviio on my WD as well, but I dont want to risk screwing up what had been working perfectly until a few weeks ago..

Any ideas anyone? The .mkv files are the ones that have issues...

Thanks!
post #16570 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 06:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

because there isnt an "official" DLNA standard, results are often a mixed bag; I use a WD DX4000 server for my NAS box, and until the last month or so, I was able to stream everything from it through the OPPO; recently, some of the .mkv's I have downloaded will NOT be seen on the OPPO, no matter what I do; I have transcoded, and converted the files, but still some of the new ones are not visible, in the SAME directory as many others that are..
I downloaded Serviio DLNA server software yesterday, and installed in on my pc, and now all those formerly "unseen" videos will show up on my computer, but NOT on my WD NAS box when looking for them through the WD directory in the OPPO Network Menu; I think there is a way to somehow install Serviio on my WD as well, but I dont want to risk screwing up what had been working perfectly until a few weeks ago..

Any ideas anyone? The .mkv files are the ones that have issues...

Thanks!

If the files are not seen at all, that sounds like a directory refresh issue on the server. Do you have a control panel for the NAS or anyone to adjust the DLNA server? Do you know what server it is?

-Bill
post #16571 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 79
Sure, its windows server, 2008 r2...

And, I am sort of a network "expert", so I have done all the things I could think of, reboot, the server, reboot the network, everything, and, as I said, it used to work perfectly, all the time, but in the last month or so, suddenly any of the new .mkv's I put there just never show up, even though they ARE on the server, play normally, if I play them from my pc, but are like "ghosts" when I try to play them the way I always have, through the OPPO..
post #16572 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 08:01 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auldian View Post

I'm curious about DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion. I use the BDP-103 FR/FL analog outputs to listen via an Asgard-2 on Sennheiser HD650s. If I set the Audio Format Setup > SACD Output > DSD, I lose audio on my receiver (on HDMI1, not DSD-capable) but hear the sound in the headphones fine, as expected. I presume this is the DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion function occurring.
If I chose SACD Output > Auto, are my FL/FR analog outs still being treated to the DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion, or is it going to be PCM-to-analog due to the need to convert to PCM on HDMI1 for my receiver?
I sure love this setup, either way smile.gif

Here's how the SACD Output settings work in the latest firmware:

1) PCM: All active audio outputs get LPCM. None of them are muted. (NOTE: The Coax and Optical outputs are restricted by licensing and so can't carry SACD audio.)

2) DSD: All active audio outputs that can handle DSD get DSD. The rest are muted. The Analog outputs can always handle DSD, so they are not muted.

3) AUTO: If *ALL* active audio outputs can handle DSD then *ALL* get DSD. Otherwise *ALL* get LPCM. None of them are muted. Since the Analog outputs can always handle DSD, the decision is based on the active HDMI outputs. One way to get DSD on Analog if your HDMI device(s) can't handle it is to set HDMI Audio OFF.

So the PCM and AUTO choices are designed so that audio outputs that are allowed to carry SACD audio are never muted.

The DSD choice is designed to make sure that DSD is used where possible, with the *OTHER* outputs being muted.

In the current firmware, you can tell if DSD is in use in two ways. First the on-screen music playback graphics will indicated DSD instead of LPCM. Second the Front Panel display will have the SACD light illuminated but the PCM light will "NOT* be illuminated.

TECHNICAL NOTE: The player hardware can not do both LPCM and DSD at the same time. Thus if DSD is in use at all, it will be in use for ALL audio outputs which are not muted.

Be aware that the 103 and 103D do not provide Volume control when DSD is in use. So be sure you are feeding the output into something that has its own volume control as otherwise you will get full volume output which may be too loud.
--Bob
Auldian likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #16573 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 08:34 AM

Excellent explanation. Thank you!
post #16574 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

My 103 arrived yesterday..easy to set up like my 83 player....did FW update and had to re-power player as it froze up after it installed and powered off. I hooked my external Darbee Darblet and all looks great. 3D is excellent on this player compared to the Sony 5100 I was using.Anyone using any special settings for 3D? I kept everything as is except for screen size that I set at 65 to match my tv
post #16575 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:

Don't know SMB myself, so it's easier and better than DLNA?.

SMB will handle any/all formats while DLNA depends on the implementation.  In my setups, DSD files and some others never appear with DLNA but, from the same remote server, SMB shows and streams them all.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #16576 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 09:22 AM

Liked: 10
Any way to get a "pretty" front end to the DLNA streaming for the Oppo? It streams the movies beautifully and they look and sound fantastic. However, navigating folders is ugly and tedious.

I've heard of the Roku Streaming stick in the front USB port, but that uses WiFi only...no thanks.

Would buying a Roku 3 and plugging it into the HDMI In on the back do anything? Or would it be using the Roku's processing to stream the movies (not good)?

If only Oppo would add a Plex client...mad.gif
post #16577 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadcaper View Post

Any way to get a "pretty" front end to the DLNA streaming for the Oppo? It streams the movies beautifully and they look and sound fantastic. However, navigating folders is ugly and tedious.

I've heard of the Roku Streaming stick in the front USB port, but that uses WiFi only...no thanks.

Would buying a Roku 3 and plugging it into the HDMI In on the back do anything? Or would it be using the Roku's processing to stream the movies (not good)?

Have you tried the Oppo Media Control App? I have it on my Samsung S4 and like its front end, find it easy to work with.
post #16578 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 09:29 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Have you tried the Oppo Media Control App? I have it on my Samsung S4 and like its front end, find it easy to work with.

Huh had no idea it existed. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
post #16579 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 09:37 AM

So many people running SMB with their oppo and windows 7 without problem? Need to know how usual the problems are before buying and relying on SMB that was a experimental feature from the beginning right?
post #16580 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

because there isnt an "official" DLNA standard

Your statement is not correct. There is an official UPnP standard, and there is an official DLNA implementation guideline...

The issue is that manufacturers are lousy at implementing them..
post #16581 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

SMB will handle any/all formats while DLNA depends on the implementation.  In my setups, DSD files and some others never appear with DLNA but, from the same remote server, SMB shows and streams them all.
Sounds like you need a different DLNA server.

I can see and stream anything the Oppo can play from mine - and the browsing and tag-based organization is a ton better than the SMB interface, especially with an iPad app for browsing and control and then just using the Oppo as a renderer instead of a player. Maybe not important if you have just a couple-hundred albums/movies - but for a collection that includes over 500 movies and 1500 albums in DSD, Stereo/MultiChannel FLAC, Stereo ALAC, and MKV.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #16582 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadcaper View Post

You can use the Plex iPad app to browse the content on your Plex server and play it on your Oppo. That frees you from the clunky, unhappy interaction style imposed by LURDS (Left-Up-Right-Down-Select), and gives you a nice graphical browsing interface based on tags (genre, artist, album, composer, director, etc.) rather than just file location. Far less clunky. I do the same with JRMC and JRemote.

Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
post #16583 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

Quote:

because there isnt an "official" DLNA standard

Your statement is not correct. There is an official UPnP standard, and there is an official DLNA implementation guideline...

The issue is that manufacturers are lousy at implementing them..

For what it's worth, the 10x family of players are "DLNA Certified" for both DMP and DMR functionality.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #16584 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post

Sounds like you need a different DLNA server.

I can see and stream anything the Oppo can play from mine - and the browsing and tag-based organization is a ton better than the SMB interface, especially with an iPad app for browsing and control and then just using the Oppo as a renderer instead of a player. Maybe not important if you have just a couple-hundred albums/movies - but for a collection that includes over 500 movies and 1500 albums in DSD, Stereo/MultiChannel FLAC, Stereo ALAC, and MKV.

Perhaps but that is my point.  DLNA implementations vary and many will not handle DSD, for example.  OTOH, SMB does not have this restriction.  I have about 5Tb of DSD files, mostly mch, and I find the Oppo interface completely inadequate, with either DLNA or SMB, so I agree with your use of the Oppo as just a renderer.  OTOH, I prefer to use a dedicated player/renderer to access my collection.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #16585 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Perhaps but that is my point.  DLNA implementations vary and many will not handle DSD, for example.  OTOH, SMB does not have this restriction.  I have about 5Tb of DSD files, mostly mch, and I find the Oppo interface completely inadequate, with either DLNA or SMB, so I agree with your use of the Oppo as just a renderer.  OTOH, I prefer to use a dedicated player/renderer to access my collection.
While it does vary from server to server, it is not that hard to find one. I think that a search for a DLNA server that supports DSD files (I agree, not all of them do) and that either does not do any transcoding or permits you to turn it off will work with the Oppo just fine.

post #16586 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 170
Release date: April 30, 2014.
Category: Latest Public Beta Test Release
Main Version: BDP10X-75-0430B
Loader Version: 6U1000 or 7B1300 (BDP-103), 7B1300 (BDP-105, BDP-105D, BDP-103D)
Sub Version: MCU103-05-0916 (BDP-103), MCU105-04-1113 (BDP-105), MCU13D-01-0618 (BDP-103D), MCU15D-01-0930 (BDP-105D), DB10X 131030 (BDP-103D, 105D)

Special Notice:

1. Once this Public Beta firmware is installed on the player, you can revert back to the previous Official release via a USB thumb drive. There will be no issues upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.

2. Due to the extensive changes in this major firmware update, it is required that the user performs a "Reset Factory Defaults" operation after the firmware is installed. Please write down your special settings before doing this, and remember to re-apply your settings and adjust the proper volume level (if applicable) before you play any content. You may experience stability issues if this step is not performed.

Release Notes:

1.Fixed a bug in calculating acoustic propagation delay from the "Speaker Distance" parameters of the "Speaker Configuration" setting.
2. Upgraded the Netflix application to the latest version certified for OPPO BDP-10x models. This version features a brand new user interface. It also contains improved adaptive streaming technology which will improve streaming quality for high-speed internet connections. The new Netflix application should help customers who have reported poor streaming quality during peak hours. (On a related note, recently customers reported that Netflix streaming on OPPO players and other streaming devices could become unstable with error message like "not connect to internet". In our experience this issue is not caused by the player or its firmware update. It could be either a server-side problem or an Internet traffic problem. Should this happen to your device, please report the outage to Netflix. Netflix recommends a troubleshooting method of de-activating the device and re-activating it. De-activation can be done from the OPPO player’s setup menu (Setup -> Device Setup -> Netflix -> De-activate). Re-activation can be done by accessing the Netflix application from the Home Menu. In most cases, Netflix service can resume working after a few tries. The new Netflix application in this update contains additional network troubleshooting tool which can be used to test your connection to Netflix servers.)
3. Added the "Digital Concert Hall" application from Berliner Philharmoniker, which provides live and recorded classical music concerts in HD video from leading orchestras all over the world. Removed the "Film Fresh" application which is no longer functional due to the service provider stopping the service.
4. Improved Gapless Playback performance. Resolved issues such as the second track playing twice before moving to the third track, and resolved an issue where the Gracenote information could not be fetched when playing WAV files.
5. Resolved an issue where user settings (Size, Distance, Trim) inside the Speaker Configuration were incorrectly applied to the Headphone Out signal route. We revised the algorithm in this firmware and the Headphone Out signal is no longer affected by the Speaker Configuration changes.
6. Added a safety feature for BDP-103/103D: the "SACD Output" format is set to "PCM" by default. The reason is that the digital-to-analog converter (DAC) used on these two models cannot adjust the volume for DSD signals, so the analog volume level could automatically switch back to 100 when a DSD stream is detected. This safety feature will force the DSD stream to be decoded as a PCM stream before sending it to the DAC, which can help control the volume when loading SACD disc(s).
7. Added support for the "4Kx2K@50/60Hz" resolution to the BDP-103D/105D (HDMI 1 only, and in YCbCr 4:2:0 format only). The "4Kx2K Output" setting for the BDP-103D/105D is set to "Auto 4K 50/60Hz 4:2:0" by default.
8. Resolved an issue of “Reset Factory Defaults” not erasing the user account for the Youtube Leanback application.
9. Resolved an "A/V Sync" related issue where the A/V Sync data was not be automatically applied to the Coaxial and Optical digital audio outputs after the player was powered on.
10. Improved the file sorting algorithm for the media center (the Music, Photo and Movie options on the Home Menu). The player can automatically detect numbers located at the beginning or end of the filenames and sort the files by the numeric value. Albums with numbered tracks will play in the proper order.
11. Extended support for the PCM audio format for up to 24-bit, 352.8 kHz / 384 kHz via the USB DAC IN port (BDP-105D only).
12. Added the timing adjustment for external subtitles. This can be accessed from the "Option" menu -> "Subtitle Adj." -> "Sync." when playing movies from a USB flash drive or external hard drive.
13. A new version of the Windows driver for the USB Audio DAC is available for download here (v2.22). It is compatible with BDP-105, 105D and the upcoming headphone amplifier HA-1. Please uninstall the previous version(s) of the OPPO USB DAC driver from your computer before installing this new one.
post #16587 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post

While it does vary from server to server, it is not that hard to find one. I think that a search for a DLNA server that supports DSD files (I agree, not all of them do) and that either does not do any transcoding or permits you to turn it off will work with the Oppo just fine.

No doubt.  I downloaded a copy of minimserver but never installed it because SMB still works just fine and never transcodes.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #16588 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 03:34 PM
Read the FAQ!

The Public Beta 0430B firmware released today for the 10x family of players *FIXES* the Speaker Distance Adjustment bug I detailed earlier.

if you have been using the "Workaround" speaker distances, don't forget to go back to using your "Actual" speaker distances.
--Bob

post #16589 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

So many people running SMB with their oppo and windows 7 without problem? Need to know how usual the problems are before buying and relying on SMB that was a experimental feature from the beginning right?

Yes, but I had previously gone through the required hours of flogging Windows into submission to set up sharing for my media box. the Oppo was plug-n-play for SMB shares after that. There are a number of gotchas involved in getting Windows to share, too many to detail here. Firstly, remove any and all "Windows Live" components from the PC, and don't confuse "sharing" via Windows Media Player, which is DNLA.
post #16590 of 17636 Old 04-30-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The Public Beta 0430B firmware released today for the 10x family of players *FIXES* the Speaker Distance Adjustment bug I detailed earlier.

if you have been using the "Workaround" speaker distances, don't forget to go back to using your "Actual" speaker distances.
--Bob

I assume if you use Audyssey, this is not affected... correct?

lujan
651 Blu-ray
21 HD DVD
6 DVD
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page