Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 559 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16741 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
!

The fact that it's asking you without you having given it either a CD or USB ought to be a good clue that it's going to do it over the net!

And no, I don't except you to see any issues with the update - but if it asks to do a system reset you should accept this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16742 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

Wondered if any of you experience this from time to time with downloaded TV programmes / films saved to your hard drives. This only happens on rare occasions and current MKV file of The Following (1.8gb on average) is doing this. It's saved to hard drive which is plugged straight into Oppo (103).

For some reason people's faces and background should appear still but move for some reason. The only way I can describe this properly is to imagine you're watching a film/programme outside which is projected on to a white bed sheet and everything moves slightly due to the wind moving the screen or (not that I have and don't condone it) but if you were on Acid and fixed objects which are not necessarily fixed start to move slightly.

All my Oppo 103 settings are standard and not set to manipulate the picture - I use the split HDMI option (one to LCD TV and one to amp for sound) - TV is a Samsung UA556400 and again settings are all standard (no manipulation as, if I did, would prefer Oppo to do this).

Can anyone shed any light as to why this happens?

p.s. Nope - am not on drugs nor al key hol. The wife sees exactly the same effect and have 20/20 vision wink.gif

Cheers all.
post #16743 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 05:53 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by wj731 View Post

Hi all,

Wondered if any of you experience this from time to time with downloaded TV programmes / films saved to your hard drives.

Are these pirated videos? We can't discuss that at AVSForum.

A "bobblehead" look and blocky animation of backgrounds are characteristic of too much compression.

-Bill
post #16744 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

2. 3d MKV's play perfectly from a NAS on this player; I have a WD dx 4000, and it works very well. I use Serviio as the front end for the NAS box; maybe you need to install some different software on your Synology?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Beckman View Post

I've tried playing a 3D MKV file (output by MakeMKV) using the official firmware and the 103 plays it back as a 2D program.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

I've tried 3D MKVs from MakeMKV both ways: DLNA server and direct SMB access. In both cases they just play in 2D. The files are definitely flagged as 3D, and I can only conclude the Oppo does not support framed packed 3D in an MKV container.

The user who reported playing 3D MKVs after switching his display manually to 3D is probably talking about side-by-side or some other reduced resolution format. But I'd love to be proved wrong, if someone can post the output of Mediainfo for an MKV that plays in 3D.

Yes, whoever is doing it must be using a side by side or other similar format. I posted about this awhile back, and no one knew how to do it, so I contacted Oppo directly. This was the response I got:

Quote:
The player does not support 3D MKV. This is something that we are trying to get supported in our player, but so far our decoder manufacturer has not been too interested in supporting this format.
You would need to convert the file to side-by-side or top-bottom, which means you will lose half of the vertical or half of the horizontal resolution.

Other than this, making a BDMV backup (note: it will be twice the size as the original ISO or disc) is the only way to get proper frame packed 3D at the moment.

Is it worth ripping 3D BDs if according to Oppo you're losing half the vertical or horizontal resolution in a side to side or top to bottom format? Is this something like when you go from Active 3D to Passive 3D sets and their difference in resolution? I'm just trying to figure out if the overall PQ wil be so degraded that it might not even be worth attempting it.
wj731 likes this.
post #16745 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 06:12 AM

Thanks Bill. Completely appreciate the above.

Rhetorically speaking if someone were having such issues with a DVD would there be any possible reason as to why (then again I guess it would be unlikely).

No worries, if you or anyone feels they don't want to reply. Won't take it personally smile.gif
post #16746 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 06:20 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:

Rhetorically speaking if someone were having such issues with a DVD would there be any possible reason as to why (then again I guess it would be unlikely).

No worries, if you or anyone feels they don't want to reply. Won't take it personally smile.gif

It depends on how it was made. I suspect you can find all sorts of things online made by people who didn't know what they were doing. Or maybe they were targeting phones rather than big screens.

-Bill
wj731 likes this.
post #16747 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 847
*** OPPO UK has now posted firmware 0430B as a Public Beta for the European, 10x family of players: ***

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/customer-services/firmware-updates/bdp-103d-105d-beta-firmware.aspx

--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #16748 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

*** OPPO UK has now posted firmware 0430B as a Public Beta for the European, 10x family of players: ***

http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/customer-services/firmware-updates/bdp-103d-105d-beta-firmware.aspx

--Bob
Thanks, I'm all over it wink.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #16749 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 08:29 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Is it worth ripping 3D BDs if according to Oppo you're losing half the vertical or horizontal resolution in a side to side or top to bottom format? Is this something like when you go from Active 3D to Passive 3D sets and their difference in resolution? I'm just trying to figure out if the overall PQ wil be so degraded that it might not even be worth attempting it.

For me, it's either full frame-packed 3D or nothing. (And by "nothing" I mean that I can just as well get up and put the Blu-ray 3D disc into the player myself.) I choose to be optimistic and anticipate we'll see support for frame-packed MKV 3D files before too long.
post #16750 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:

As Bill stated, you're seeing typical issues related to massive over-compression of MPEG video.
post #16751 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfretwell View Post

!

The fact that it's asking you without you having given it either a CD or USB ought to be a good clue that it's going to do it over the net!

And no, I don't except you to see any issues with the update - but if it asks to do a system reset you should accept this.

Ok, I was asking because I was reading a post by a user about not using a firmware that was released lately. Are the factory reset instructions in the manual?

EDIT: just saw that after the firmware update completes it'll ask if you want to reset it to factory defaults.
post #16752 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

A little information about how its all connected would be a big help. Is the TV fed from the Denon or from the player? What happens if you set the Oppo to output LPCM via HDMI? If you're using both HDMI outputs from the Oppo, is it set for "split" or "dual" output?

On the surface it seems you may have swapped the HDMI-1 and HDMI-2 outputs from the player.

OK.
TV is fed from Oppo (HDMI 1) and Denon from Oppos HDMI 2.
First the HDMI outputs were set to "split", but I tried with "dual" to. No difference frown.gif

Probably there is some HDMI hand shake problem.... Don't you think ??
post #16753 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 01:35 PM

Liked: 12

I just got an OPPO 103 and have a strange problem.  I have it set to split mode with HDMI-1 going to a projector, and HDMI-2 going to my Yamaha AVR.  All is fine, except if I connect an HDMI cable to the output of my AVR, I sometimes get no video on the projector with a message that the HDMI format is not supported.  If I disconnect the HDMI from the AVR output, the video on the projector comes back.

Why should an output connection on the AVR affect the video going directly from the OPPO to the projector?

Another question:  If I just use HDMI-1 on the OPPO and go to the AVR and then to the projector, will the video quality be the same as direct to the projector?  I think the answer is yes, but can anyone confirm.  With the split I lose the on-screen menus from the AVR.

post #16754 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jack_ View Post

OK.
First the HDMI outputs were set to "split", but I tried with "dual" to. No difference frown.gif

why dont you just run the oppo into your Denon, and the Denon out to the tv?
post #16755 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

why dont you just run the oppo into your Denon, and the Denon out to the tv?

non-3D receiver maybe?
I know cause I have the same setup cause of the same reason smile.gif
wase4711 likes this.

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone) / DUNE HD SMART H1
post #16756 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardk View Post

I just got an OPPO 103 and have a strange problem.  I have it set to split mode with HDMI-1 going to a projector, and HDMI-2 going to my Yamaha AVR.  All is fine, except if I connect an HDMI cable to the output of my AVR, I sometimes get no video on the projector with a message that the HDMI format is not supported.  If I disconnect the HDMI from the AVR output, the video on the projector comes back.

Why should an output connection on the AVR affect the video going directly from the OPPO to the projector?

Another question:  If I just use HDMI-1 on the OPPO and go to the AVR and then to the projector, will the video quality be the same as direct to the projector?  I think the answer is yes, but can anyone confirm.  With the split I lose the on-screen menus from the AVR.

best choice is usually oppo to the AVR, AVR to your TV

Video quality will be the same, if you set your AVR to "pass through" mode..
post #16757 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

OK.

The most common cause of your type issue is having HDMI-1 and HDMI-2 swapped by mistake. Per the manual, HDMI-1 has no audio in split mode when HDMI-2 is sending audio.
post #16758 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

^ If nothing else, you could install oShare and use it as a diagnostic tool. If you get the same problem as with your other DLNA server, the problem might not be the DLNA server itself (it could be a bug in the Oppo or something about the file format you're using).

Wanted to say this helped!
No problem with oShare so I made some logs for Mezzmo support to look at. Lets hope it gets fixed.

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone) / DUNE HD SMART H1
post #16759 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffietje View Post

non-3D receiver maybe?
I know cause I have the same setup cause of the same reason smile.gif

That is correct : non-3D receiver ;(

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The most common cause of your type issue is having HDMI-1 and HDMI-2 swapped by mistake. Per the manual, HDMI-1 has no audio in split mode when HDMI-2 is sending audio.

Well. The problem arrises with DVD only.
In case of BD, MKV via USB it does not appear.

What can be not OK with DVD's ??
post #16760 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 04:26 PM

Liked: 12

Hello PGT FTW, 

I'm in the same situation as you. I have an Mac and a Windows 8 laptop. I can see all of my SONOS servers and both computers. When I try to select the computer (either one) the OPPO asks for a user name and password. I've tried all of them and get no response.  My OPPO is connected to the internet via Ethernet to the Router.  I can stream Netflix, Pandora and get a "Connection Successful" alert when I test the network connection.  Have you found a solution to listening to Your SONOS library?

post #16761 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 04:38 PM

Wow.     I just bought my home theatre... in my signature you can see my complete system.    I went with the oppo 103 BR player suggested to me buy a Best Buy Magnolia employee who had one himself.   wow . my 4k tv was nice... but paired with the OPPO its REALLY nice.

Anyways, I hooked it up straight HDMI to my pioneer elite SC 75 reciever.    I noticed there is analog concoctions?    Am i hooking my oppo up to maximize my setup?

Anyways, if your thinking about buying the oppo its amazing.   the sound really jumps out and the picture is nothing short of great.

Frank's new 2014 home theatre setup:

Pioneer Elite SC-75 9.2 Receiver                          Apple TV

B&W 686 Series front bookshelf speakers            Oppo 103 BR/4K upconvert player

B&W M1 Rear 4" satellite speakers                     Sony PSLX300 Turntable

B&W...

post #16762 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

you need to install some sort of dlna server software on your computer, and that will help you see your files on the OPPO..

I would do it on the Win machine, as its easier to get windows compliant dlna software, IMO
post #16763 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 07:41 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJerryGarcia View Post

Wow.     I just bought my home theatre... in my signature you can see my complete system.    I went with the oppo 103 BR player suggested to me buy a Best Buy Magnolia employee who had one himself.   wow . my 4k tv was nice... but paired with the OPPO its REALLY nice.

Anyways, I hooked it up straight HDMI to my pioneer elite SC 75 reciever.    I noticed there is analog concoctions?    Am i hooking my oppo up to maximize my setup?

Anyways, if your thinking about buying the oppo its amazing.   the sound really jumps out and the picture is nothing short of great.

If you have HDMI 1 out of the Oppo going to the Elite, and the Elite going by HDMI to the TV, you are fine.
post #16764 of 18012 Old 05-07-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That is correct : non-3D receiver ;(
Well. The problem arrises with DVD only.
In case of BD, MKV via USB it does not appear.

What can be not OK with DVD's ??

Most likely an issue in your AVR. Set the player to output LPCM via HDMI and see if that cures it.
post #16765 of 18012 Old 05-08-2014, 02:05 AM

What is the experience here with using BETA firmware from Oppo? People had problems with it in the past?
I'm thinking about installing it, but normally I do not like BETA software/firmware smile.gif

post #16766 of 18012 Old 05-08-2014, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:

What is the experience here with using BETA firmware from Oppo? People had problems with it in the past?
I'm thinking about installing it, but normally I do not like BETA software/firmware smile.gif

I have installed the last three or four beta softwares on my 103, and I have never had any problem with the installation process. None of the betas have harmed my viewing experience, and each has corrected bugs (as described in the release notes). I have no hesitation about using Oppo's beta firmware.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #16767 of 18012 Old 05-08-2014, 03:42 AM

^Thanks, I guess I will try it also smile.gif
Do you also install the official firmware over the BETA when it is released? Or do you just continue with the BETA?

post #16768 of 18012 Old 05-08-2014, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post

As regards the new Beta - which is working great in my setup (love the new Netflix app)

I read up on the beta's Netflix enhancements and they sound just like what I need. But I'm not a big fan of beta software! So me question is this: can I go back to the non-beta firmware if the beta gives me problems?
post #16769 of 18012 Old 05-08-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mullin View Post

I read up on the beta's Netflix enhancements and they sound just like what I need. But I'm not a big fan of beta software! So me question is this: can I go back to the non-beta firmware if the beta gives me problems?
yes

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #16770 of 18012 Old 05-08-2014, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:

^Thanks, I guess I will try it also smile.gif
Do you also install the official firmware over the BETA when it is released? Or do you just continue with the BETA?

Actually, the Beta IS the Official FW in TESTING form. They put out a Beta for people to try and see if it fixes things and there are no further bugs to correct. Once all is hunky-dorry, it is released as the Official from their server.

Once you install a Beta, if you don't like it, you can revert back to the last Official.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page