Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 565 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16921 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
How much experience have people had with playing burned discs on the Oppo? I am noticing it does not play many burned discs that play in other players

I have tried to play a blu-ray disc, an iso file blu-ray folder on dvd, iso file on blu-ray , an avchd disc and all of these play on the Sony Playstation and on multiple computers and recognize corectly but the oppo doesn't do it

luckily, I use this mostly as a media player but this is very disapponting. The discs are being made correctly and the same way I have made them for years and they play elsewhere

I had an Oppo DVD player from several years ago, maybe a 980 or 981 and it was the same thing; that player did not play burned DVD Video discs that play on all other players so I had to return it

I would like to know about other's experience with this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16922 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

How much experience have people had with playing burned discs on the Oppo? I am noticing it does not play many burned discs that play in other players

I have tried to play a blu-ray disc, an iso file blu-ray folder on dvd, iso file on blu-ray , an avchd disc and all of these play on the Sony Playstation and on multiple computers and recognize corectly but the oppo doesn't do it
Personally, I've only created a few DVD and Blu-ray disc's but they seem to play okay with the Oppo. What burning application are you using?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #16923 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 11:21 AM

used image burn to burn them and made them with both multiavchd and aiseesoft blu-ray creator
post #16924 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 11:41 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:

luckily, I use this mostly as a media player but this is very disapponting. The discs are being made correctly and the same way I have made them for years and they play elsewhere

I had an Oppo DVD player from several years ago, maybe a 980 or 981 and it was the same thing; that player did not play burned DVD Video discs that play on all other players so I had to return it

I would like to know about other's experience with this

Burned media support has always been rather good.

Blu-ray BDMV on DVD is specifically not supported, per directive from the licensing authorities. Same for AVCHD when used for backup of commercial Blu-rays.

Are you saying the discs are not recognized at all? What message do you get?

Do you know the media code id of the discs you are using, and have you tried a variety of brands?

-Bill
post #16925 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 11:49 AM

these were personal videos of mine. I have used Quantum BD-R and also Memorex BD RE
they will end up gong to the home screen after you put the disc in

I thin one avchd disc did that as well and these same avchd discs play fine on all Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, NAD, etc
post #16926 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 11:56 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 797
^ If you are willing to loan example discs to OPPO Tech Support, they can see what's up. Of course you'd get those discs back.

Typical problems reading burned discs are if the disc is burned at too high a speed, or if the disc isn't properly finalized as part of burning.

However there ARE writeable disc manufacturing compositions which are harder for some optical drives to read. OPPO Tech Support could help you with that if its just a matter of picking a different writeable media.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #16927 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 12:24 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

its probably one of your video settings; I had the same problem until I did a factory reset, then it started working fine..

do a factory reset, then try it...

Do you mean factory reset of Oppo or of the TV set ??
post #16928 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 12:24 PM

I wonder also if using the bdmv modify after I make the folder and before burning would improve the chances
post #16929 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jack_ View Post

Do you mean factory reset of Oppo or of the TV set ??

Factory reset the OPPO..
post #16930 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:

these were personal videos of mine. I have used Quantum BD-R and also Memorex BD RE
they will end up gong to the home screen after you put the disc in

I thin one avchd disc did that as well and these same avchd discs play fine on all Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, NAD, etc

If you insert one of those discs in the Oppo, what happens if you go to the "movie" pathway? Does the disc show up as a data disc? If so you could browse the disc.

If the player truly can't read a disc you should see a "no disc" message on the player. That said, you're using some cheap media so anything is possible.
post #16931 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
I received an email from Oppo on how to reboot my player. My instructions were to unplug it from the wall wait for a while then press and hold the power button down for 5 seconds then release. Connect the plug back into the outlet and power on. Why do I need to press and hold the power button for 5 seconds then release? Especially when it's not even plugged up.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #16932 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 02:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

I received an email from Oppo on how to reboot my player. My instructions were to unplug it from the wall wait for a while then press and hold the power button down for 5 seconds then release. Connect the plug back into the outlet and power on. Why do I need to press and hold the power button for 5 seconds then release? Especially when it's not even plugged up.

This is to discharge any residual power retained in the power supply, and in particular to make sure that the portion of the hardware that controls the most basic functions of the player performs a complete reboot on the next power up.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #16933 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

This is to discharge any residual power retained in the power supply, and in particular to make sure that the portion of the hardware that controls the most basic functions of the player performs a complete reboot on the next power up.
--Bob
Oh.....

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #16934 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

So what's the reason for doing a factory reset after a firmware update?

post #16935 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 02:38 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ It's considered "good luck". Seriously, it shouldn't matter, but it puts the player into a known state as close as possible to how OPPO tests the player, which means you are less likely to encounter unexpected behavior.
--Bob

post #16936 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ It's considered "good luck". Seriously, it shouldn't matter, but it puts the player into a known state as close as possible to how OPPO tests the player, which means you are less likely to encounter unexpected behavior.
--Bob
That's what I thought. Thx bro...

post #16937 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

Factory reset the OPPO..

I will try that.
Thank you for the hint.
post #16938 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jack_ View Post

Hi there guys,

I have a strange problem with 3D films viewing from BDP-103D EU.
A movie is send to TV and plays in ex. side-by-side,
but the TV shows an info, that it does not recognise a 3D signal and does not swith the signal
into 3D 8/

TV is SONY X9 (KD-65X9005A) 4K Ultra HD

Same movies works fine in BDP-93EU (that problem persists in many MKV-movie cases)

What can that be ???

If you are seeing SBS - you will likely to manually press the 3D button on the TV remote (or whatever Sony uses) and manually put the TV in 3D mode. I have to do that on my Sharp.
post #16939 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post

If you are seeing SBS - you will likely to manually press the 3D button on the TV remote (or whatever Sony uses) and manually put the TV in 3D mode. I have to do that on my Sharp.

I know. Have already done that, but got a message on the TV screen that TV does not recognise (=receive) 3D-signal.
That is strange and that is why I asked the question here.
I will do the factory reset of the Oppo and see what happens.
post #16940 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 171
The player can also do 2D to 3D conversion. Just press the 2D->3D button on the player's remote control.

The display may not know that the signal is SBS or TB because the signal from the player is 1080p/60Hz, and the cable box likely does 3D at 720p/60Hz or 1080p/30Hz., so the display is not recognizing the 3D information.
post #16941 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 05:25 PM

I just tried to play an avchd disc burned on a TDK DVD +R and it played perfectly on the Sony Playstation but on the Oppo it said avchd in the display and then the player gets stuck and you see the OPPO Blu-Ray on the tv screen and it doesn't do anything

you can't even eject the disc without turning the player off first

TDK is on of the leading brands for blank media so that is no excuse especially when the Sony played it fine

I also had a Quantum BD-R Blu- Ray disc with the correct BDMV structure, etc and the OPPO will say BD on the display but then get stuck again with the OPPO Blu-Ray Screen and you can't do anything

I also tried an HP DVD +RW with an iso file of blu-ray folder burned onto it and and it did not work

this is unacceptable for a player of this price.

the first 2 discs I mention here will play on most any brand blu-ray player

also , all discs were burned with image burn, which is probably the best thing to use

is any specific brand of disc that has worked in the OPPO ? most all cheap players play these discs with no problems
post #16942 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 06:17 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

I also tried an HP DVD +RW with an iso file of blu-ray folder burned onto it and and it did not work

I've already explained that's not allowed by the licensing authorities.
Quote:
this is unacceptable for a player of this price.

You need to contact OPPO and tell them you're not accepting it. Offer them some sample discs. This helps diagnose the problem.

Quote:
is any specific brand of disc that has worked in the OPPO ?

I use Taiyo Yuden DVD+R for single layer. and Verbatim for dual layer. Buy from a reputable source; Taiyo Yuden is sometimes counterfeited.

-Bill
post #16943 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 06:20 PM

yes but which specific BD-R have people used? I am more concerned with Blu-Ray than DVD.

I will be trying memorex bd-r as well

it can't be licensing issue because Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, etc are playing these discs and there are many softwares available to make blu-ray discs the correct folder structure to play on blu-ray players

that is what those softwares are for; if you can't play it on a blu-ray player, it is useless
post #16944 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 06:26 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

yes but which specific BD-R have people used? I am more concerned with Blu-Ray than DVD.

I will be trying memorex bd-r as well

it can't be licensing issue because Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, etc are playing these discs and there are many softwares available to make blu-ray discs the correct folder structure to play on blu-ray players

that is what those softwares are for; if you can't play it on a blu-ray player, it is useless

I don't burn Blu-ray.

BDMV on DVD is not supported. It's just not. Maybe OPPO is being specifically punished and the big companies have special rules. .

It's been years since we've heard of media support issues. What seems most likely is the problem is you or your player. Contact OPPO, they have people paid to help you.

-Bill
post #16945 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 06:31 PM

I am talking about burning a blu-ray using normal blu-ray folders; forgot about the dvd

the blu-ray is not working and it is useless to contact OPPO since they will blame every other reason other than their player. I have already been thru that with them regarding the 4TB hard drive support, time stamp issues, etc; I will get nowhere contacting them

the avchd on dvd is absolutely supposed to be supported and is listed on every brand of blu-ray player out there

and making a blu-ray on a blu-ray disc is also supported for sure, even OPPO told me that some time ago

I would rather ask other users about their experience and what brands of media worked
post #16946 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40

Well...a few things not going well at all. It could be linked to the Oppo 103.

I have apple TV and Comcast box going through the Oppo first. Most of the time when I change HDMI inputs on the Oppo, my Sony 4k TV screen goes crazy.

Sometimes the screen is half black and half bright red (from left to right). Sometimes it's totally green.

I have to reboot the Oppo and the sony to make things go away.

Tonight I had the biggest shock ever. Both the Apple Tv , and comcast were displaying normally, then screen goes black for a few seconds...then picture comes back on for a few seconds, then goes black.

I have no idea what this is, but Monday I'm calling Oppo to get a replacement.

The actual Oppo screen on the TV does not do this, only the Comcast and Apple which are going through the Oppo.

I tried plugging in the ATV directly into the HDM1 port on back of Sony tv and all was OK...

Has anyone else experienced weird stuff when changing HDMI selections with the Oppo remote?

thanks

post #16947 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

Well...a few things not going well at all. It could be linked to the Oppo 103.
I have apple TV and Comcast box going through the Oppo first. Most of the time when I change HDMI inputs on the Oppo, my Sony 4k TV screen goes crazy.
Sometimes the screen is half black and half bright red (from left to right). Sometimes it's totally green.
I have to reboot the Oppo and the sony to make things go away.

Tonight I had the biggest shock ever. Both the Apple Tv , and comcast were displaying normally, then screen goes black for a few seconds...then picture comes back on for a few seconds, then goes black.

I have no idea what this is, but Monday I'm calling Oppo to get a replacement.
The actual Oppo screen on the TV does not do this, only the Comcast and Apple which are going through the Oppo.
I tried plugging in the ATV directly into the HDM1 port on back of Sony tv and all was OK...

Has anyone else experienced weird stuff when changing HDMI selections with the Oppo remote?

thanks

Could be a simple fix.
Do you have the latest firmware installed on the player?
Have you tried doing a reset to factory default settings of the player?
Have you tried swapping out the hdmi cable(s) to see if your current one(s) are bad?
Do you have Deep Color turned ON?

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #16948 of 17735 Old 05-18-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:

I am talking about burning a blu-ray using normal blu-ray folders; forgot about the dvd

the blu-ray is not working and it is useless to contact OPPO since they will blame every other reason other than their player.

Its not useless at all, they will try to help you. I've burned many BD discs and played them in the 103D without issue. I do know that Oppo uses the same process to create test discs in their lab. I suspect you have an issue on the disc creation side with formatting, but you haven't provided enough information about what the player actually does with the discs, so its impossible to say. Getting in touch with Oppo support might help you walk through the process and find the problem. Getting mad and screaming about it on this forum won't help at all.
RayWK likes this.
post #16949 of 17735 Old 05-19-2014, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoering View Post

The problem was setting "Output resolution" to 4K.
The player was forcing the TV to display full picture, even if divided side-by-side or over-and-under.
Changing to auto resolved the problem.
Thanks a lot for your hints.
post #16950 of 17735 Old 05-19-2014, 03:36 AM

so if you have burned "many" blu-ray discs, what software was used to create the folder and what software to burn? the ones I am using, multiavchd and also image burn are proven and I have also burned and played them on other players; never tried the OPPO until now

give me specific examples what software was used and also what media? I already have tried Memorex, Quantum and on the DVD side, TDK
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page