Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 573 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 495Likes

post #17161 of 21412 Old 06-06-2014, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have searched this issue far and wide, and I have not come across anyone else with even a remotely similar issue. I have my PC connected to my Oppo via my discrete video card's HDMI out, which then feeds my TV. Up until now, I had always gone from the PC straight to the TV via HDMI, but I decided to use the Oppo so I wouldn't be limited to stereo output on my surround sound, which was via my TV's optical output which could not pass through multi channel audio.

The issue is, whether I use HDMI input 1 or 2, HDMI output 1 or 2, sending the video through the Oppo makes Excel spreadsheets produce texts that is randomly blue in places. These spreadhseets look totally fine on my desktop monitor, and on my tv when I run the HDMI directly from my video card to the tv; it's only through the Oppo BDP - 103 that I get the randomly placed blue words in Excel. I called my wife down and put up a spreadsheet, just to be sure it wasn't my eyes going bad. I asked her if she saw anything strange and she immediately said that some of the words are blue. I've checked the formatting on the sheets (even though the worksheets are fine when the Oppo is not in the chain) and I cannot find out what else may be causing this. This is my second 103, which I purchased in October of 2013. The 1st one was sent back b/c it had weird graphic anomalies when playing blu-rays and DVDs, and it froze up a few times. If anyone else has witnessed this, please let me know what the root cause may be. I have not tried running my PC's onboard HDMI output through the Oppo, but I recently upgraded my video card, and I had the same anomaly with my old card, so I'm fairly confident that I don't need to make changes in the PC's UEFI just to confirm what I already suspect will happen with the onboard video. If anybody can help, I would really appreciate it. If I need to create screenshots to illustrate, I can certainly do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17162 of 21412 Old 06-07-2014, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

^ What are you trying to do, and what is going wrong?
--Bob

Would not load disc.  Reinstalled firmware and did factory reset. Worked a few times and once again would not load disc. Unplugged and restarted to play disc. 

owner of LG 65EC9700
post #17163 of 21412 Old 06-07-2014, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring5 View Post

Would not load disc.  Reinstalled firmware and did factory reset. Worked a few times and once again would not load disc. Unplugged and restarted to play disc. 
What type of disc??? Audio CD, VCD, DVD, Blu-ray. Is it a disc you made yourself or is it store bought?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #17164 of 21412 Old 06-07-2014, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

Quote:

What type of disc??? Audio CD, VCD, DVD, Blu-ray. Is it a disc you made yourself or is it store bought?

The disc is not the issue. These were DVD rentals from Netflix. 

owner of LG 65EC9700
post #17165 of 21412 Old 06-07-2014, 04:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post

The issue is, whether I use HDMI input 1 or 2, HDMI output 1 or 2, sending the video through the Oppo makes Excel spreadsheets produce texts that is randomly blue in places. .

I'm going to guess that your PC is outputting RGB-PC color space. But you can confirm that on the Oppo's OSD. Anyway, you might be seeing some sort of chroma sampling error resulting from color space conversion. There's ways to diagnose the error, but changing the color space output in the Oppo might reveal a setting that eliminates it.
post #17166 of 21412 Old 06-07-2014, 06:06 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:

I have searched this issue far and wide, and I have not come across anyone else with even a remotely similar issue. I have my PC connected to my Oppo via my discrete video card's HDMI out, which then feeds my TV. Up until now, I had always gone from the PC straight to the TV via HDMI, but I decided to use the Oppo so I wouldn't be limited to stereo output on my surround sound, which was via my TV's optical output which could not pass through multi channel audio.

The issue is, whether I use HDMI input 1 or 2, HDMI output 1 or 2, sending the video through the Oppo makes Excel spreadsheets produce texts that is randomly blue in places. These spreadhseets look totally fine on my desktop monitor, and on my tv when I run the HDMI directly from my video card to the tv; it's only through the Oppo BDP - 103 that I get the randomly placed blue words in Excel. I called my wife down and put up a spreadsheet, just to be sure it wasn't my eyes going bad. I asked her if she saw anything strange and she immediately said that some of the words are blue. I've checked the formatting on the sheets (even though the worksheets are fine when the Oppo is not in the chain) and I cannot find out what else may be causing this. This is my second 103, which I purchased in October of 2013. The 1st one was sent back b/c it had weird graphic anomalies when playing blu-rays and DVDs, and it froze up a few times. If anyone else has witnessed this, please let me know what the root cause may be. I have not tried running my PC's onboard HDMI output through the Oppo, but I recently upgraded my video card, and I had the same anomaly with my old card, so I'm fairly confident that I don't need to make changes in the PC's UEFI just to confirm what I already suspect will happen with the onboard video. If anybody can help, I would really appreciate it. If I need to create screenshots to illustrate, I can certainly do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Quote:

The issue is, whether I use HDMI input 1 or 2, HDMI output 1 or 2, sending the video through the Oppo makes Excel spreadsheets produce texts that is randomly blue in places. .

I'm going to guess that your PC is outputting RGB-PC color space. But you can confirm that on the Oppo's OSD. Anyway, you might be seeing some sort of chroma sampling error resulting from color space conversion. There's ways to diagnose the error, but changing the color space output in the Oppo might reveal a setting that eliminates it.

While viewing the Excel charts, press Info on the OPPO remote and see what's coming in as the video format (top line, right). If that's RGB, see if you can configure the HDMI output on your PC to send YCbCr instead -- either YCbCr 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:2:2.

The HDMI Inputs of the OPPO do not support RGB PC Level data format -- i.e, there's no way to configure the HDMI Inputs to expect that flavor of RGB Input.

And even if the PC is sending RGB Video Level, there is a long-standing Color Space math error on the HDMI Inputs which affects RGB Input at input resolutions of 720p or higher. To check if THIS is the problem, temporarily set your PC to send 480p video to the OPPO and see if the color discrepancies go away. (Try not to be confused by issues related to the loss of resolution.)

If you can get the PC to send YCbCr data format to the OPPO, these two issues can't affect you.

If the PC is already sending YCbCr data format to the OPPO, check that you have the Picture Adjustment settings in the OPPO at their factory default (0) values.

If you have another source of HDMI that you can attach to the OPPO, try that and see if the problem is visible there. For example, if you have another disc player, try attaching that to the OPPO and playing a calibration disc in it to see if colors are correct. Once again, use YCbCr data format from the new device.

Although I suspect the problem is going to come down to the PC sending RGB data format, there's a possibility your player needs warranty service for the HDMI Inputs. And testing with another source device would help nail that down.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17167 of 21412 Old 06-07-2014, 06:22 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Quote:

--Bob

OK, you must realize this can not be a generic fault in the new firmware, or by now this thread would be PACKED with folks howling for blood. So there's something else going on here. I.e., it may very well be just coincidence that this problem developed after you installed the new firmware.

Check out this article from OPPO's Knowledge Base on diagnosing the problem of discs not loading:

http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=17

When they talk about using "compressed air", one good source is the cans of compressed air sold in camera stores for cleaning camera lenses. (Use short squirts -- this stuff comes out cold and you don't want to blast it so long that water condensation collects on the laser lens, etc.)

Since you are seeing this problem with rental discs, also check the discs themselves for scratches or grundge. The discs may simply need to be cleaned. I play a lot of Netflix discs, and as a matter of Beta Testing I deliberately do NOT clean them -- i.e., to check out what the player can tolerate. And I've seen some pretty messy discs come out of those Netflix envelopes.

It would also be useful to know if the player plays Blu-ray discs OK, but not standard SD-DVDS -- or the other way around. There are two separate lasers in the optical drive for the two types of discs, and if the problem is dirt on the laser lens (or if the laser itself is simply starting to fail) it would typically show for just one of the two.

As that Knowledge Base article says, if you can't fix the problem in short order by cleaning, then give OPPO Tech Support a call and they'll take care of it.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17168 of 21412 Old 06-07-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

--Bob

OK, you must realize this can not be a generic fault in the new firmware, or by now this thread would be PACKED with folks howling for blood. So there's something else going on here. I.e., it may very well be just coincidence that this problem developed after you installed the new firmware.

Check out this article from OPPO's Knowledge Base on diagnosing the problem of discs not loading:

http://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=17

When they talk about using "compressed air", one good source is the cans of compressed air sold in camera stores for cleaning camera lenses. (Use short squirts -- this stuff comes out cold and you don't want to blast it so long that water condensation collects on the laser lens, etc.)

Since you are seeing this problem with rental discs, also check the discs themselves for scratches or grundge. The discs may simply need to be cleaned. I play a lot of Netflix discs, and as a matter of Beta Testing I deliberately do NOT clean them -- i.e., to check out what the player can tolerate. And I've seen some pretty messy discs come out of those Netflix envelopes.

It would also be useful to know if the player plays Blu-ray discs OK, but not standard SD-DVDS -- or the other way around. There are two separate lasers in the optical drive for the two types of discs, and if the problem is dirt on the laser lens (or if the laser itself is simply starting to fail) it would typically show for just one of the two.

As that Knowledge Base article says, if you can't fix the problem in short order by cleaning, then give OPPO Tech Support a call and they'll take care of it.
--Bob

Thanks for your helpful reply. You are awesome.

owner of LG 65EC9700
post #17169 of 21412 Old 06-07-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quick Question: Is it possible to replace the background image (the LP turntable) that displays when a CD or DLNA source is playing?

I'd like to use something more appropriate for my rig.
post #17170 of 21412 Old 06-07-2014, 12:09 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFo View Post

Quick Question: Is it possible to replace the background image (the LP turntable) that displays when a CD or DLNA source is playing?

No, sorry.

Although... can't you play music while running a slide show? That might be interesting. It's in the manual.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #17171 of 21412 Old 06-07-2014, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Video/Audio Set-up Issues - Assistance Required

Video Set-up: DirecTV (HDMI output/native resolution) > Kinivo 510BN HDMI Switch > Oppo (HDMI back/1080p output) > Panasonic ZT60 (HDMI Input 1/1080p setting).
Audio Set-up: Oppo (5.1 analog output/HDMI LPCM setting and digital coax output/Bitstream setting) > Anthem Statement D1 (5.1 analog input and digital coax input)

Issues:
1. Lip Synch Problem with DirecTV programming - I have contacted Oppo Service and I have followed their instructions on adjusting the A/V Synch setting in the Audio Processing Set-up Menu. After endless attempts I have not been able to adequately address this issue. In fact, the synch issue varies by program (CNN and ESPN). Is this a known issue with a future firmware fix? Does anyone have a recommendation to address this problem? Am I wasting my time trying to run the DirecTV DVR through the Oppo?
2. "Soft" Picture - DirecTV programming, including graphics, is not as sharp as a direct HDMI set-up between the Panasonic and DVR. Oppo Service instructed me to add + 1 to the Sharpness setting. This and additional adjustments don't "clean" up the picture. Is the Kinivo switch contributing to this issue? Is this another known issue requiring a future firmware fix? Any other options to address this issue?

Thanks in advance for everyone's advice.
post #17172 of 21412 Old 06-07-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrman View Post

Video/Audio Set-up Issues - Assistance Required

Video Set-up: DirecTV (HDMI output/native resolution) > Kinivo 510BN HDMI Switch > Oppo (HDMI back/1080p output) > Panasonic ZT60 (HDMI Input 1/1080p setting).
Audio Set-up: Oppo (5.1 analog output/HDMI LPCM setting and digital coax output/Bitstream setting) > Anthem Statement D1 (5.1 analog input and digital coax input)

Issues:
1. Lip Synch Problem with DirecTV programming - I have contacted Oppo Service and I have followed their instructions on adjusting the A/V Synch setting in the Audio Processing Set-up Menu. After endless attempts I have not been able to adequately address this issue. In fact, the synch issue varies by program (CNN and ESPN). Is this a known issue with a future firmware fix? Does anyone have a recommendation to address this problem? Am I wasting my time trying to run the DirecTV DVR through the Oppo?
Here is some background on audio sync problems:

A/V Sync I

A/V Sync II

A/V Sync III

Sync Test

The fact that CNN and ESPN sync varies suggests that the problem is in the source. If your DVD and Blu-ray shinny disks play with good sync, then what you may be trying to do is chase and solve sync problems that vary greatly among different TV channels and even within a single TV channel. That's a very difficult task. Various image enhancement features that you may have turned on in your display can contribute to sync problems in that they slow down video processing.
post #17173 of 21412 Old 06-07-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Quote:

While viewing the Excel charts, press Info on the OPPO remote and see what's coming in as the video format (top line, right). If that's RGB, see if you can configure the HDMI output on your PC to send YCbCr instead -- either YCbCr 4:4:4 or YCbCr 4:2:2.

The HDMI Inputs of the OPPO do not support RGB PC Level data format -- i.e, there's no way to configure the HDMI Inputs to expect that flavor of RGB Input.

And even if the PC is sending RGB Video Level, there is a long-standing Color Space math error on the HDMI Inputs which affects RGB Input at input resolutions of 720p or higher. To check if THIS is the problem, temporarily set your PC to send 480p video to the OPPO and see if the color discrepancies go away. (Try not to be confused by issues related to the loss of resolution.)

If you can get the PC to send YCbCr data format to the OPPO, these two issues can't affect you.

If the PC is already sending YCbCr data format to the OPPO, check that you have the Picture Adjustment settings in the OPPO at their factory default (0) values.

If you have another source of HDMI that you can attach to the OPPO, try that and see if the problem is visible there. For example, if you have another disc player, try attaching that to the OPPO and playing a calibration disc in it to see if colors are correct. Once again, use YCbCr data format from the new device.

Although I suspect the problem is going to come down to the PC sending RGB data format, there's a possibility your player needs warranty service for the HDMI Inputs. And testing with another source device would help nail that down.
--Bob

I wasn't sure how to make the multi quote work properly, but also thanks to RDGRIMES for providing guidance with my issue. Both of you were correct, my PC was outputting RGB, and as long as I output via HDMI only (not duplicating desktops between DVI for monitor, HDMI to Oppo) then I have the option in my Nvidia control panel to output YCbCr (4:4:4:). So I did that, and reset the Oppo video settings (the issue was there before I messed with it, however), and the info on the Oppo confimed the change from RGB 4:4:4 to now just saying 4:4:4: 24b, so I guess this indicates YCbCr. I also changed the Oppo's HDMI 2 input from RGB to YCbCr (it was set to PC video I believe). The problem still persists, unless I decrease the resolution (800x600 is the lowest option). When I do that, the chroma-sampling issues goes away, and if I revert to 1080p, it's back again.

I have plenty of other HDMI sources on hand, however this issue, as far as I can tell, only affects the spreadsheets, and I have no other devices with HDMI input to feed my PC to, since I can only see it with Excel. Word Pad is fine, movies are fine (to my eye) and I don't have a video calibration disk. I do recall something about a disk image provided here in the forums somewhere, so I will search for that to see if I can try that out. I really appreciate the replies; I don't know enough about video processing to have ever thought of these recommendations. If all else fails, I will revert back to using the Oppo HDMI input for audio only, and sending video directly to the TV. I need the Oppo for outputting 5.1/7.1 from my PC to my old pre-HDMI receiver during gaming, as my TV does not pass through multichannel via it's optical output to my receiver. Thanks again.
post #17174 of 21412 Old 06-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Change only one thing at a time. You corrected the INPUT format to the OPPO, good. But don't also change the OUTPUT format to your TV until you test the first change. (There's no problem with YCbCr input going to RGB output.)

You are dealing with stuff here that really should be checked with a calibration disc.

Normally in a home theater setup, you would not use RGB PC Level. RGB Video Level, and the two YCbCr choices are both fine. But you should use RGB PC Level only if you can't get your display to work right with the other 3 choices. The problem with the RGB stuff is that it is a MANUAL change, on both sides of the cable as to whether PC Level or Video Level is in use. I.e., that choice is *NOT* set by the HDMI handshake. You have to set it yourself on both sides of the cable so that it matches. So you need to find what setting in your TV adjusts for that. And figuring this stuff out without a calibration disc to help is a challenge because the TV could call that setting just about anything.
--Bob

post #17175 of 21412 Old 06-07-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have plenty of other HDMI sources on hand, however this issue, as far as I can tell, only affects the spreadsheets, and I have no other devices with HDMI input to feed my PC to, since I can only see it with Excel. .

Well, the spreadsheet is just acting as a poor chroma test, with the skinny fonts revealing overlap in the colors.
If you can run a BD disc in the PC, the S&M version 2 will have the tests you need to sort out color space settings. Keep in mind, as Bob has suggested, that your display is the ultimate source of chroma issues, be it sampling or alignment or whatnot. So never assume that an issue is necessarily in the PC or Oppo, it could be too that the TV is objecting to a specific type input. Leaving the Oppo at default settings is a good place to start.
post #17176 of 21412 Old 06-07-2014, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a region free oppo 103. Has any body with a region free oppo 103 upgraded to the new firmware? If you have does the region free still work? Thanks for your help.
post #17177 of 21412 Old 06-07-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:

^ Change only one thing at a time. You corrected the INPUT format to the OPPO, good. But don't also change the OUTPUT format to your TV until you test the first change. (There's no problem with YCbCr input going to RGB output.)

You are dealing with stuff here that really should be checked with a calibration disc.

Normally in a home theater setup, you would not use RGB PC Level. RGB Video Level, and the two YCbCr choices are both fine. But you should use RGB PC Level only if you can't get your display to work right with the other 3 choices. The problem with the RGB stuff is that it is a MANUAL change, on both sides of the cable as to whether PC Level or Video Level is in use. I.e., that choice is *NOT* set by the HDMI handshake. You have to set it yourself on both sides of the cable so that it matches. So you need to find what setting in your TV adjusts for that. And figuring this stuff out without a calibration disc to help is a challenge because the TV could call that setting just about anything.
--Bob

I did change one at a time. In a previous reply, I accidentally said that the Oppo's HDMI was set to "PC Video", I meant to say "RGB Video". I changed that to YCbCr 4:4:4 before i did anything else. I also power cycled the Oppo and restarted my PC and nothing changed. Then, I found the option on my PC to change the HDMI output to YCbCR (it was also set to RGB). So I did that, reset both devices and there was initially no change. It's been probably 6 hours or so, since I did all this, and now in addition to the spreadsheets having the strange colored text, I can see the same thing occuring in the browser. This message box is showing some text appearing as slightly bluish/purple, the same as the spreadsheets. Also, using the PC on the TV, now I see that if I right-click and open windows on my desktop, such as the Windows Personalize menu (windows 7-64bit) I am now seeing the same thing happening there as well. Another thing I've discovered is that if I slowly move these windows (or spreadsheet) horizontally across the tv, I can see the text change from the normal black to blue/purple as if they are passing over specific vertical columns that have the issue. I am going to purchase the S&M v2 disk and try that. It's just a little disconcerting that making the correct changes have not solved the issue, but have seemed to make it worse,but I would rather the tv be the problem than my Oppo. The TV is over 5 years old, I already used the warranty replacement to get my wife a bigger tv for the bedroom, but I wouldn't mind having an excuse to get myself a bigger set for the living room. Also, I can play blu-rays from my PC, but I can't see any issues with movies.
post #17178 of 21412 Old 06-08-2014, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

When playing from a CD isn't it supposed to pull the image from GraceNote? I dont actually know since I never tried putting a CD in it..

When playing non transcoded mp3s or flacs via Upnp pull it will show any embedded art tags from those files (but it can't show embedded art from any other file formats)

When playing music via Upnp push, it won't display anything because it is broken (or as Oppo says "this feature is not yet implemented"..)
post #17179 of 21412 Old 06-08-2014, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

When playing from a CD isn't it supposed to pull the image from GraceNote? I dont actually know since I never tried putting a CD in it..

When playing non transcoded mp3s or flacs via Upnp pull it will show any embedded art tags from those files (but it can't show embedded art from any other file formats)

When playing music via Upnp push, it won't display anything because it is broken (or as Oppo says "this feature is not yet implemented"..)

JonFo is referring to the (full screen) 'background' image. Not the album art image wink.gif

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #17180 of 21412 Old 06-08-2014, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

No, sorry.

Although... can't you play music while running a slide show? That might be interesting. It's in the manual.

-Bill

Bummer, as customizable as many aspect of this player are, that's surprising. Thanks for the tip about slide show + music, it's nice option to have during demos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post

JonFo is referring to the (full screen) 'background' image. Not the album art image wink.gif

Correct, that turntable background pic is both an oxymoron (funny the first few times, but gauche after ...) and a little too busy for good readability, I want something composited for the job that ties in my theaters theme (and the wife is a talented graphic artist, so it will look nice).
post #17181 of 21412 Old 06-08-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrowandsting View Post

I have a region free oppo 103. Has any body with a region free oppo 103 upgraded to the new firmware? If you have does the region free still work? Thanks for your help.
I have a 105 with a region mod and I have never seen any firmware upgrade either affect it or be affected by it. I wouldn't expect any difference with a 103 since their basic circuitry is the same.

There are a couple of things you should probably do as part of a firmware update when you have a region mod. First, make sure your player is set to its 'home' region and not to some other one. So, if you live in Region A territory, be sure you have set your player to that Region. Second, it is probably advisable to do a factory reset after the firmware update and then re-enter your personal settings. Finally, I have found that sometimes after a firmware update the region mod seems particularly sensitive to the timing of the entry of the key presses on the remote necessary to change regions. The first time I make a region change after a firmware update sometimes takes a couple of tries. It will subsequently be fine. The experience may be different on your particular mod.

post #17182 of 21412 Old 06-08-2014, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has anyone else had problems with gapless playback of FLAC files from a networked attached storage box? I just downloaded the Led Zeppelin III HD FLAC files, and when I play the album back through the BDP-103, I get definite stop/start between tracks. Friends/Celebration Day for instance does not flow smoothly but has an almost 1 second gap. This is my first attempt at using FLAC files on the OPPO. I plan to contact OPPO tech support, but in the meantime I was curious about the experience of others.
post #17183 of 21412 Old 06-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ At the moment, Gapless is only available for media files on DIRECTLY attached hard drives.

Gapless is still a work in progress, and the expectation is that OPPO will address networked access after they get the kinks out of the direct access version.
--Bob

post #17184 of 21412 Old 06-08-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcassette View Post

Has anyone else had problems with gapless playback of FLAC files from a networked attached storage box?
If you are interested, there's a dedicated Oppo BDP-103/105 Cue Files/Gapless playback support topic wink.gif

post #17185 of 21412 Old 06-08-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcassette View Post

Has anyone else had problems with gapless playback of FLAC files from a networked attached storage box? I just downloaded the Led Zeppelin III HD FLAC files, and when I play the album back through the BDP-103, I get definite stop/start between tracks. Friends/Celebration Day for instance does not flow smoothly but has an almost 1 second gap. This is my first attempt at using FLAC files on the OPPO. I plan to contact OPPO tech support, but in the meantime I was curious about the experience of others.

Also be aware that gapless playback does not just magically happen, you have to enable it via the UI each time you wish to use it --- on attached storage.
post #17186 of 21412 Old 06-08-2014, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Bummer, as customizable as many aspect of this player are, that's surprising. Thanks for the tip about slide show + music, it's nice option to have during demos.
Correct, that turntable background pic is both an oxymoron (funny the first few times, but gauche after ...) and a little too busy for good readability, I want something composited for the job that ties in my theaters theme (and the wife is a talented graphic artist, so it will look nice).

I agree with you. And since Oppo listens to their customers I suggest you drop your idea in their suggestions box. Maybe no one ever asked for it, who knows!
post #17187 of 21412 Old 06-08-2014, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Gapless is still a work in progress, and the expectation is that OPPO will address networked access after they get the kinks out of the direct access version.

Any hints if that expectation will hit the next release version?
post #17188 of 21412 Old 06-08-2014, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 189
No. It is on a massive wish list, but there is absolutely no guarantee of it ever becoming a part of the player. The player just barely got FLAC file support, and even that is proving to have problems with specific files.
post #17189 of 21412 Old 06-09-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Here is some background on audio sync problems:

A/V Sync I

A/V Sync II

A/V Sync III

Sync Test

The fact that CNN and ESPN sync varies suggests that the problem is in the source. If your DVD and Blu-ray shinny disks play with good sync, then what you may be trying to do is chase and solve sync problems that vary greatly among different TV channels and even within a single TV channel. That's a very difficult task. Various image enhancement features that you may have turned on in your display can contribute to sync problems in that they slow down video processing.

Thanks for the response and for the helpful links. For the record, I have not enabled any of the optional video processing functions on the Panasonic ZT60. The Panasonic G25 plasma that I have in my family room is connected directly (via HDMI) to a DirecTV DVR and I do not experience any synch issues.

Again, thanks for your assistance.
post #17190 of 21412 Old 06-09-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrman View Post

Again, thanks for your assistance.
You're welcome. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page