post #17221 of 17711 Old 06-14-2014, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeogeoG View Post
Hy, I have a Oppo103eu, and want to buy an external 3 o 4TB hardrive but would like to know if the Oppo has no problems with this sice, for example my previous Dune HD Smart D1 only suported 2TB.

Regards.
No problem. FWIW the Dune also supports 3-4 TB drives with current firmware.
NeogeoG likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17222 of 17711 Old 06-14-2014, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeogeoG View Post
Hy, I have a Oppo103eu, and want to buy an external 3 o 4TB hardrive but would like to know if the Oppo has no problems with this sice, for example my previous Dune HD Smart D1 only suported 2TB.

Regards.
There should be no problems with a 4TB external drive.
NeogeoG likes this.

post #17223 of 17711 Old 06-14-2014, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but I was hoping someone who's tackled it more extensively might be able to give me a pointer. With my IR-prone ZT60, I absolutely need a way to rely upon a screensaver when using Netflix. I've heard that some products (AppleTV, Roku) have screensavers that activate independently of the app currently loading, Netflix included (I've also read about problems where it works for every app but Netflix on these same devices). Is a Roku stick my only means to attaining this functionality on the Oppo BDP-103 and for those who have the Roku, are you able to use a screensaver while Netflix is running? If I could simply disable video output with the push of a button on the Oppo remote without the need of Roku, that would also be a suitable alternative (I'm thinking that's not possible based on past experience with Netflix and Oppo).
post #17224 of 17711 Old 06-14-2014, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but I was hoping someone who's tackled it more extensively might be able to give me a pointer. With my IR-prone ZT60, I absolutely need a way to rely upon a screensaver when using Netflix. I've heard that some products (AppleTV, Roku) have screensavers that activate independently of the app currently loading, Netflix included (I've also read about problems where it works for every app but Netflix on these same devices). Is a Roku stick my only means to attaining this functionality on the Oppo BDP-103 and for those who have the Roku, are you able to use a screensaver while Netflix is running? If I could simply disable video output with the push of a button on the Oppo remote without the need of Roku, that would also be a suitable alternative (I'm thinking that's not possible based on past experience with Netflix and Oppo).
The screensaver in Netflix works on my 105. Not sure, but you might be able to blank video with the Pure Audio button.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #17225 of 17711 Old 06-14-2014, 05:57 PM

That's interesting. The Pure Audio button doesn't override the Netflix output unfortunately. Haven't reset the settings on the latest firmware update, so maybe I'll try that first.
post #17226 of 17711 Old 06-14-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
Quote:
The screensaver in Netflix works on my 105. Not sure, but you might be able to blank video with the Pure Audio button.
To be absolutely clear, are you referring to the Netflix screensaver, one that shows a red screen with the Netflix logo randomly bouncing around, or the Oppo screensaver (I have mine set to default to no video output). I have not had the chance to reset and test again (I am currently doing an exhaustive slide/pixel flipping session to get rid of longstanding IR). If anybody with a 103 on the latest firmware can confirm or deny these results, it would also be helpful.
post #17227 of 17711 Old 06-14-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The new Netflix app has no screensaver at all, nor is one available or possible in the Oppo. Previous Netflix app had a 1/2 brightness screensaver that kicked in after a while, but not this one. So you're best off to just hit the Home button and exit Netflix, then let the Oppo screensaver kick in. I guess Netflix decided that plasma TVs are unworthy of consideration.
vinnie97 likes this.
post #17228 of 17711 Old 06-14-2014, 08:28 PM

As I feared...do you (or anyone) know if the Roku stick has a Netflix overriding screensaver capability?
post #17229 of 17711 Old 06-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 796
^ If you feed the ROKU Netflix through the OPPO, you can just press Pure button to blank the TV screen.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17230 of 17711 Old 06-14-2014, 10:23 PM

^Fantastic idea for a quick-and-easy 2-button workaround. Thanks as per usual.
post #17231 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hy everyone, thanks for the replys about the compatibility of 3 or 4 TB harddrives, I will order one soon.

Yesturday I tried the program bdmv_modify_v1.4.zip to be able to see fullblurays with their menus, and it works great, so I told a friend about it, but he has a MAC instead of PC, and he would like to know if there is a version campatible with MAC.

Also, I have to mention that I use external harddrives conected by USB, but he is conected by network to his PC, and I dont know if there is a limitation with this kind of conection.

Thanks for the help, and greetings from Spain.
post #17232 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 05:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
As I feared...do you (or anyone) know if the Roku stick has a Netflix overriding screensaver capability?
I think it does, but its been a long time since I used it for Netflix so I could be wrong. There may also be variations in the Roku versions.
post #17233 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
That's interesting. The Pure Audio button doesn't override the Netflix output unfortunately. Haven't reset the settings on the latest firmware update, so maybe I'll try that first.
Hey Vinnie,

I just wanted to apologize for giving you bad info. I got confused with Amazon Prime and Netflix for the screensaver. Once the Netflix App is loaded, it takes over control of the OPPO's conttrols. So, the Pure Audio won't work.

Scott

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #17234 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Quote:
I think it does, but its been a long time since I used it for Netflix so I could be wrong. There may also be variations in the Roku versions.
Just checked, and the Roku MHL stick does have a screensaver in Netflix.
vinnie97 likes this.
post #17235 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Question guys if u may, im more into digital file vs physical. So my question is.....

1. Does OPPO has X/Y adjustment?
2. If playing mkv remux, is there degrade in PQ/SQ vs bluray disc?
3. is OPPO 103 PQ ( mkv ) is night and day superb compare to realtek chipset ( im using xtreamer SW3 )
4. if answer to no3 is NO, should i better buy stand alone Darbee?

thank u in advance. Here in my place ( Philippines ), theres no dealer of OPPO. So il base my purchase on reviews and feedbacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #17236 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 07:28 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhog View Post
Question guys if u may, im more into digital file vs physical. So my question is.....

3. is OPPO 103 PQ ( mkv ) is night and day superb compare to realtek chipset ( im using xtreamer SW3 )

thank u in advance. Here in my place ( Philippines ), theres no dealer of OPPO. So il base my purchase on reviews and feedbacks.

1. You mean shifting the image around? No, it doesn't do that.

2. That's not a player issue, it depends on how the audio is prepared. If it is the unaltered audio track, sound will be the same.

3. Night and day? I would say not.

4. Built-in and standalone Darbee give the same results. The standalone is more portable.

-Bill
post #17237 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Quote:

1. You mean shifting the image around? No, it doesn't do that.

2. That's not a player issue, it depends on how the audio is prepared. If it is the unaltered audio track, sound will be the same.

3. Night and day? I would say not.

4. Built-in and standalone Darbee give the same results. The standalone is more portable.

-Bill

tnx wmcclain. forgot to mention, il be using it on BenQ W1070. OPPO 103D/103 is costly, and if the PQ is not much of a difference (minus darbee), so better to buy standalone Darbee so i can save. Read many positive feedbacks on Darbee that its most suitable for PJ.

so in summary, most likely an xtreamer SW3 + standalone darbee will produce same or close PQ as OPPO 103D? am i correct?

post #17238 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 07:40 AM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Does anyone know of a device that converts HDMI to component? I connect my Oppo to a projector via HDMI1, but I also have an old 65" TV that only has component inputs that I'd like to connect.

I guess the device would have to do the copy protection handshake with the Oppo for it to work, so not sure if there is anything like that out there?

jcg
post #17239 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 07:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Look up HDFury. It mounts on the Component inputs of your TV and "converts" the TV into having an HDMI Input, which is supposedly how they evade the ire of HDMI.ORG.

Not cheap. Replacing the TV may be a better solution.
--Bob
post #17240 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
As far as I can see there's chroma upsampling error on HDMI 2 no matter if I use RGB, 4:4:4 or 4:2:2. We know that HDMI 1 has noise reduction, so what the heck am I supposed to do with this player?
post #17241 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 08:32 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ How are you testing that?
--Bob
post #17242 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 08:34 AM

Spears & Munsil's first Blu-ray benchmark thingie, using their online guides as a reference point. Note the "as far as I can see", as I am by no means an expert in this field. I pay people to calibrate my setup, but I read about the chroma stuff on HDMI 2 and had to see what was up with that.
post #17243 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 08:43 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Which chart, and what are you seeing that leads you to believe there is a problem.

Also, are you using an explicit 1080p Resolution setting (not AUTO and not Source Direct). Also do you have Deep Color set to OFF for HDMI 2 output?

What display do you have and is it a 1080p native resolution display? Do you have ANY video "enhancement" features enabled in that display?

(The folks who calibrated your display may have made compromise setting choices to best balance what your display could and could not do. Also be aware that calibration settings typically are remembered per input, so you have to use that same calibrated input while testing HDMI 2.)
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 06-15-2014 at 08:47 AM.
post #17244 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

One more thing: Leave HDMI 1 uncabled while testing HDMI 2 as it complicates things. (You need to be aware how the dual cabling setting works.)
--Bob
post #17245 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 09:02 AM

My setup is a Sony HW55 (on loan) and a Lumagen RadianceXD. There's no cable in HDMI 1 and I have of course never even turned on things such as Deep Color. All video enhancement is of course turned off. Calibration was done using that fancy new-fangled auto calibration.

I don't remember if it was source direct or 1080p, but it was outputting 1080p of course.

I was looking at a few of the different chroma test patterns. Most notably the one with the thin diamond shapes left, right, top and bottom. What I see suggests that HDMI 2 does indeed have chroma upsampling error. I started testing this because I was reading some threads elsewhere. First I was surprised that HDMI 1 had noise reduction, and then I thought I was fine using HDMI 2...
post #17246 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 09:06 AM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Yep that's way too expensive. Currently I just have my old Bluray player connected to the TV, but was hoping to move that to another room. I guess I'll just have to wait till the TV dies and I need to replace it.

jcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Look up HDFury. It mounts on the Component inputs of your TV and "converts" the TV into having an HDMI Input, which is supposedly how they evade the ire of HDMI.ORG.

Not cheap. Replacing the TV may be a better solution.
--Bob
post #17247 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 09:09 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ As far as I know, there is no Chroma Upsampling Error on either HDMI output of the 103 in current firmware.

So I'm looking for something that would mislead you into thinking that was the case.
--Bob
post #17248 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 11:44 AM

I would prefer that it wasn't the case as well, but from what I can see, there is a problem. I'm no expert but using this guide and the disc, what I find seems to doom the second output as well. It doesn't matter if I set the output to Auto or Source Direct (both obviously just give me 1080p anyway); the thin diamond shape is clearly misaligned.
post #17249 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 12:02 PM

Sod it. I'm seeing the same thing using my old Oppo BD-83...
post #17250 of 17711 Old 06-15-2014, 12:27 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
so in summary, most likely an xtreamer SW3 + standalone darbee will produce same or close PQ as OPPO 103D? am i correct?
I'm not familiar with xtreamer so cannot say.

-Bill
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page