Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 575 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-14-2014, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
As I feared...do you (or anyone) know if the Roku stick has a Netflix overriding screensaver capability?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2014, 09:55 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 1117
^ If you feed the ROKU Netflix through the OPPO, you can just press Pure button to blank the TV screen.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 06-14-2014, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
^Fantastic idea for a quick-and-easy 2-button workaround. Thanks as per usual.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:15 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hy everyone, thanks for the replys about the compatibility of 3 or 4 TB harddrives, I will order one soon.

Yesturday I tried the program bdmv_modify_v1.4.zip to be able to see fullblurays with their menus, and it works great, so I told a friend about it, but he has a MAC instead of PC, and he would like to know if there is a version campatible with MAC.

Also, I have to mention that I use external harddrives conected by USB, but he is conected by network to his PC, and I dont know if there is a limitation with this kind of conection.

Thanks for the help, and greetings from Spain.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post
As I feared...do you (or anyone) know if the Roku stick has a Netflix overriding screensaver capability?
I think it does, but its been a long time since I used it for Netflix so I could be wrong. There may also be variations in the Roku versions.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
That's interesting. The Pure Audio button doesn't override the Netflix output unfortunately. Haven't reset the settings on the latest firmware update, so maybe I'll try that first.
Hey Vinnie,

I just wanted to apologize for giving you bad info. I got confused with Amazon Prime and Netflix for the screensaver. Once the Netflix App is loaded, it takes over control of the OPPO's conttrols. So, the Pure Audio won't work.

Scott

"I am a Meat Popsicle." - Corbin Dallas, "The Fifth Element"

Klipsch Chorus II (Mains); Klipsch Academy (Center) (KLF-C7 waiting in the wings); Klipsch RS-62 II (Surrounds); SVS PC13-Ultra (Big Bada Boom); ATI AT1505 (Amp); OPPO BDP-105 (Blu-ray Player); Panasonic 60GT50 (Plasma TV)
Old 06-15-2014, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Quote:
I think it does, but its been a long time since I used it for Netflix so I could be wrong. There may also be variations in the Roku versions.
Just checked, and the Roku MHL stick does have a screensaver in Netflix.
vinnie97 likes this.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:24 AM

Liked: 16
Question guys if u may, im more into digital file vs physical. So my question is.....

1. Does OPPO has X/Y adjustment?
2. If playing mkv remux, is there degrade in PQ/SQ vs bluray disc?
3. is OPPO 103 PQ ( mkv ) is night and day superb compare to realtek chipset ( im using xtreamer SW3 )
4. if answer to no3 is NO, should i better buy stand alone Darbee?

thank u in advance. Here in my place ( Philippines ), theres no dealer of OPPO. So il base my purchase on reviews and feedbacks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2014, 07:28 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhog View Post
Question guys if u may, im more into digital file vs physical. So my question is.....

3. is OPPO 103 PQ ( mkv ) is night and day superb compare to realtek chipset ( im using xtreamer SW3 )

thank u in advance. Here in my place ( Philippines ), theres no dealer of OPPO. So il base my purchase on reviews and feedbacks.

1. You mean shifting the image around? No, it doesn't do that.

2. That's not a player issue, it depends on how the audio is prepared. If it is the unaltered audio track, sound will be the same.

3. Night and day? I would say not.

4. Built-in and standalone Darbee give the same results. The standalone is more portable.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 06-15-2014, 07:38 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Quote:

1. You mean shifting the image around? No, it doesn't do that.

2. That's not a player issue, it depends on how the audio is prepared. If it is the unaltered audio track, sound will be the same.

3. Night and day? I would say not.

4. Built-in and standalone Darbee give the same results. The standalone is more portable.

-Bill

tnx wmcclain. forgot to mention, il be using it on BenQ W1070. OPPO 103D/103 is costly, and if the PQ is not much of a difference (minus darbee), so better to buy standalone Darbee so i can save. Read many positive feedbacks on Darbee that its most suitable for PJ.

so in summary, most likely an xtreamer SW3 + standalone darbee will produce same or close PQ as OPPO 103D? am i correct?

Old 06-15-2014, 07:40 AM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know of a device that converts HDMI to component? I connect my Oppo to a projector via HDMI1, but I also have an old 65" TV that only has component inputs that I'd like to connect.

I guess the device would have to do the copy protection handshake with the Oppo for it to work, so not sure if there is anything like that out there?

jcg
Old 06-15-2014, 07:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Look up HDFury. It mounts on the Component inputs of your TV and "converts" the TV into having an HDMI Input, which is supposedly how they evade the ire of HDMI.ORG.

Not cheap. Replacing the TV may be a better solution.
--Bob
Old 06-15-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
As far as I can see there's chroma upsampling error on HDMI 2 no matter if I use RGB, 4:4:4 or 4:2:2. We know that HDMI 1 has noise reduction, so what the heck am I supposed to do with this player?
Old 06-15-2014, 08:32 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ How are you testing that?
--Bob
Old 06-15-2014, 08:34 AM

Spears & Munsil's first Blu-ray benchmark thingie, using their online guides as a reference point. Note the "as far as I can see", as I am by no means an expert in this field. I pay people to calibrate my setup, but I read about the chroma stuff on HDMI 2 and had to see what was up with that.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:43 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Which chart, and what are you seeing that leads you to believe there is a problem.

Also, are you using an explicit 1080p Resolution setting (not AUTO and not Source Direct). Also do you have Deep Color set to OFF for HDMI 2 output?

What display do you have and is it a 1080p native resolution display? Do you have ANY video "enhancement" features enabled in that display?

(The folks who calibrated your display may have made compromise setting choices to best balance what your display could and could not do. Also be aware that calibration settings typically are remembered per input, so you have to use that same calibrated input while testing HDMI 2.)
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 06-15-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

One more thing: Leave HDMI 1 uncabled while testing HDMI 2 as it complicates things. (You need to be aware how the dual cabling setting works.)
--Bob
Old 06-15-2014, 09:02 AM

My setup is a Sony HW55 (on loan) and a Lumagen RadianceXD. There's no cable in HDMI 1 and I have of course never even turned on things such as Deep Color. All video enhancement is of course turned off. Calibration was done using that fancy new-fangled auto calibration.

I don't remember if it was source direct or 1080p, but it was outputting 1080p of course.

I was looking at a few of the different chroma test patterns. Most notably the one with the thin diamond shapes left, right, top and bottom. What I see suggests that HDMI 2 does indeed have chroma upsampling error. I started testing this because I was reading some threads elsewhere. First I was surprised that HDMI 1 had noise reduction, and then I thought I was fine using HDMI 2...
Old 06-15-2014, 09:06 AM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Yep that's way too expensive. Currently I just have my old Bluray player connected to the TV, but was hoping to move that to another room. I guess I'll just have to wait till the TV dies and I need to replace it.

jcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Look up HDFury. It mounts on the Component inputs of your TV and "converts" the TV into having an HDMI Input, which is supposedly how they evade the ire of HDMI.ORG.

Not cheap. Replacing the TV may be a better solution.
--Bob
Old 06-15-2014, 09:09 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ As far as I know, there is no Chroma Upsampling Error on either HDMI output of the 103 in current firmware.

So I'm looking for something that would mislead you into thinking that was the case.
--Bob
Old 06-15-2014, 11:44 AM

I would prefer that it wasn't the case as well, but from what I can see, there is a problem. I'm no expert but using this guide and the disc, what I find seems to doom the second output as well. It doesn't matter if I set the output to Auto or Source Direct (both obviously just give me 1080p anyway); the thin diamond shape is clearly misaligned.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:02 PM

Sod it. I'm seeing the same thing using my old Oppo BD-83...
Old 06-15-2014, 12:27 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
so in summary, most likely an xtreamer SW3 + standalone darbee will produce same or close PQ as OPPO 103D? am i correct?
I'm not familiar with xtreamer so cannot say.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 06-15-2014, 12:34 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
I'll check HDMI 2 on my test 103 in a bit, but I'm pretty sure any error you are seeing in that Color Alignment chart is being introduced by something going on in your Lumagen or your Display.
--Bob
Old 06-15-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
Most likely you're looking at an issue with the display, since it occurs with ANY color space or bit depth. Displays convert color spaces for processing, then re-convert for display. How and what they do is very specific to each display. Some will do better with a specific type input, others do not. As Bob suggested, look for some particular processing setting in the display that might be skewing your results - basically turn everything off that can be turned off. Trying a different profile in the display is another test. If it has a THX profile, try that.
Consult the appropriate forum thread for your specific display and you may get some help sorting that out.
FWIW, its not a given that any one chroma test will in any way indicate something you can actually see in a real image.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:38 PM

Everything is already turned off, of course. It's all been calibrated using that fancy automated CalMAN stuff.

The chroma plate thing on the S&M disc also indicated that something was amiss.

Last edited by Naiera; 06-15-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ OK, I just finished checking HDMI 2 out from my test 103, using the original Spears & Munsil, Blu-ray.

This is with Official firmware 0515.

I set Resolution to 1080p (not AUTO and not Source Direct), and I set Deep Color for HDMI 2 to OFF.

I checked HDMI 2 Color Space RGB Video Level, YCbCr 4:4:4, and YCbCr 4:2:2. I did two passes of that: With 1080p/24 Output AUTO and with 1080p/24 Output OFF. (I.e., checking both 1080p/24 and 1080p/60 output.)

In each of these 6 combos I went through the complete set of charts.

I spotted no problems with any of these combos. In particular, the Color Alignment chart looked clean for each combo.

This matches the last time I checked this. I.e., no new changes and no problems.
--Bob
Naiera likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 06-15-2014, 03:49 PM

Well then someone's writing some BS over at those AVForums. Thank you for looking into it; I'd prefer not to have to pay to upgrade my new Oppo to one of those silly Darblee editions.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Silly Darbee. Tricks are for kids.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 06-16-2014, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Those who have the oppo player connected straight to a power amp through the pre outs, please do a test for me.

I noticed that setting the trim of an individual speaker in speaker configuration over 0dB distorts my sound. This is extremely noticeable when playing clean FLAC audio songs especially in female voices. Almost sounds like crackling or scratching in the voice. Having the speaker trim at 0dB or in the negative gives nice clean sound but anything positive gives the crackling.

Please try it and let me know if it is just my player or all.

Play a FLAC song with the FL and FR speaker trim at +5dB in the speaker configuration. Listen to a song with a female voice. Then listen to it again with the trim at 0dB or a negative trim.

Please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by lego1; 06-16-2014 at 01:30 AM.

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc