post #17251 of 19284 Old 06-15-2014, 01:34 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
Sod it. I'm seeing the same thing using my old Oppo BD-83...
I'll check HDMI 2 on my test 103 in a bit, but I'm pretty sure any error you are seeing in that Color Alignment chart is being introduced by something going on in your Lumagen or your Display.
--Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17252 of 19284 Old 06-15-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Sod it. I'm seeing the same thing using my old Oppo BD-83...
Most likely you're looking at an issue with the display, since it occurs with ANY color space or bit depth. Displays convert color spaces for processing, then re-convert for display. How and what they do is very specific to each display. Some will do better with a specific type input, others do not. As Bob suggested, look for some particular processing setting in the display that might be skewing your results - basically turn everything off that can be turned off. Trying a different profile in the display is another test. If it has a THX profile, try that.
Consult the appropriate forum thread for your specific display and you may get some help sorting that out.
FWIW, its not a given that any one chroma test will in any way indicate something you can actually see in a real image.
post #17253 of 19284 Old 06-15-2014, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Everything is already turned off, of course. It's all been calibrated using that fancy automated CalMAN stuff.

The chroma plate thing on the S&M disc also indicated that something was amiss.

Last edited by Naiera; 06-15-2014 at 03:40 PM.
post #17254 of 19284 Old 06-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ OK, I just finished checking HDMI 2 out from my test 103, using the original Spears & Munsil, Blu-ray.

This is with Official firmware 0515.

I set Resolution to 1080p (not AUTO and not Source Direct), and I set Deep Color for HDMI 2 to OFF.

I checked HDMI 2 Color Space RGB Video Level, YCbCr 4:4:4, and YCbCr 4:2:2. I did two passes of that: With 1080p/24 Output AUTO and with 1080p/24 Output OFF. (I.e., checking both 1080p/24 and 1080p/60 output.)

In each of these 6 combos I went through the complete set of charts.

I spotted no problems with any of these combos. In particular, the Color Alignment chart looked clean for each combo.

This matches the last time I checked this. I.e., no new changes and no problems.
--Bob
Naiera likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17255 of 19284 Old 06-15-2014, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Well then someone's writing some BS over at those AVForums. Thank you for looking into it; I'd prefer not to have to pay to upgrade my new Oppo to one of those silly Darblee editions.
post #17256 of 19284 Old 06-15-2014, 05:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Silly Darbee. Tricks are for kids.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #17257 of 19284 Old 06-16-2014, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Those who have the oppo player connected straight to a power amp through the pre outs, please do a test for me.

I noticed that setting the trim of an individual speaker in speaker configuration over 0dB distorts my sound. This is extremely noticeable when playing clean FLAC audio songs especially in female voices. Almost sounds like crackling or scratching in the voice. Having the speaker trim at 0dB or in the negative gives nice clean sound but anything positive gives the crackling.

Please try it and let me know if it is just my player or all.

Play a FLAC song with the FL and FR speaker trim at +5dB in the speaker configuration. Listen to a song with a female voice. Then listen to it again with the trim at 0dB or a negative trim.

Please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by lego1; 06-16-2014 at 02:30 AM.
post #17258 of 19284 Old 06-16-2014, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Well then someone's writing some BS over at those AVForums.
Haha, I noticed that before on that particular forum.
Believe me, knowledge on this forum is far greater and a lot less BS here

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
post #17259 of 19284 Old 06-16-2014, 05:53 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lego1 View Post
Those who have the oppo player connected straight to a power amp through the pre outs, please do a test for me.

I noticed that setting the trim of an individual speaker in speaker configuration over 0dB distorts my sound. This is extremely noticeable when playing clean FLAC audio songs especially in female voices. Almost sounds like crackling or scratching in the voice. Having the speaker trim at 0dB or in the negative gives nice clean sound but anything positive gives the crackling.

Play a FLAC song with the FL and FR speaker trim at +5dB in the speaker configuration. Listen to a song with a female voice. Then listen to it again with the trim at 0dB or a negative trim.

Sounds like you are clipping the amp. Try lowering main Volume out of the OPPO and see if it goes away. If so lower ALL your speaker volume trims the same amount so they are all 0dB or below. Now see if you can get a pleasing volume level out of the OPPO without clipping. If not then your amp is not a good match for direct connection to the OPPO. Use a pre-amp in between.
--Bob
post #17260 of 19284 Old 06-16-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by lego1 View Post

Do you understand what you're doing by increasing the Oppo's trim on your FL and FR channels? You're increasing the output voltage on those analog connectors. As Bob mentioned previously, increasing voltage on your Oppo's rca outs is clipping/overdriving your power amp's inputs. Increasing trim to +5 db is nearly doubling your voltage on those analog outs.
post #17261 of 19284 Old 06-16-2014, 12:25 PM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Does anyone know if the Oppo does any of it's fancy video processing if you are playing a .avi file from the flash drives? I think .avi is supposed to be similar (if not a bit higher) quality than DVD, but of course if I play a DVD I know it's getting the extra processing to upconvert it.

jcg
post #17262 of 19284 Old 06-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yes it is processed.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17263 of 19284 Old 06-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg View Post
Does anyone know if the Oppo does any of it's fancy video processing if you are playing a .avi file from the flash drives? I think .avi is supposed to be similar (if not a bit higher) quality than DVD, but of course if I play a DVD I know it's getting the extra processing to upconvert it.

jcg
DVD is a container that contains MPEG2 video. AVI is just a container as well, and it can contain various types of video formats.

I know this doesn't answer the question, but I think it's important to distinguish video codecs from video containers.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #17264 of 19284 Old 06-16-2014, 01:20 PM

![/quote] Do you understand what you're doing by increasing the Oppo's trim on your FL and FR channels? You're increasing the output voltage on those analog connectors. As Bob mentioned previously, increasing voltage on your Oppo's rca outs is clipping/overdriving your power amp's inputs. Increasing trim to +5 db is nearly doubling your voltage on those analog outs.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware of that. I thought it was level matching like an AVR does. Doesn't the actual volume on the oppo increase the voltage to the amp as well increasing the overall sound? My volume isn't anywhere near 75dB when I play music. If I increase the trim, I lower the overall volume, if I decrease it, I raise the overall volume to compensate.

If my trim is 0 or negative, I can crank the volume to over 90dB with no distortion, if the trim is positive, even listening with the volume at around 60dB I hear the distortion.

Maybe I'm just not aware how this trim works since I'm used the the trim/level setting in the AVR and never experienced this.
post #17265 of 19284 Old 06-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Set all the trims so the highest trim value is 0dB. If you can get a pleasing volume level without distortion, and with the OPPO Volume at 70 or above, then you are good to go.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 06-16-2014 at 01:26 PM.
post #17266 of 19284 Old 06-16-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Set all the trims so the highest trim value is 0dB. If you can get a pleasing volume level without distortion, and with the OPPO Volume at 70 or above, then you are good to go.
--Bob
Sounds good Bob. Thanks! Oppo support just emailed me and told me the same thing. They said for my setup, I should set the quietest speaker to 0dB and set the others to negative trim to match.
post #17267 of 19284 Old 06-16-2014, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I really like all the video quality features of the Oppo 103. I have no need for the audio features as I am happy with my AVR. This fall I am going to get a Vizio P702ui-B3. It has 4k upscaling and a full-array local dimming backlight with 64 dimmable zones. Will I still benefit from the 103? I want the best picture quality available for a $3000 budget (blu-ray player and tv combined). So, I can budget the Oppo, but I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to. Thanks for your help.
post #17268 of 19284 Old 06-16-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymacIII View Post
I really like all the video quality features of the Oppo 103. I have no need for the audio features as I am happy with my AVR. This fall I am going to get a Vizio P702ui-B3. It has 4k upscaling and a full-array local dimming backlight with 64 dimmable zones. Will I still benefit from the 103?
Don't forget the value of the two external HDMI inputs on the 103. This allows you to also utilize the Oppo's picture-enhancing/cleanup capabilities as applied to satellite/cable HDTV 1080i/720p input (delivered untouched "native resolution as-is" from the source DVR/STB, so that only the Oppo features are applied).

This capability is unique to the Oppo players, and I believe you'll find it invaluable for improving satellite/cable HDTV picture quality.
johnnymacIII likes this.
post #17269 of 19284 Old 06-16-2014, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Don't forget the value of the two external HDMI inputs on the 103. This allows you to also utilize the Oppo's picture-enhancing/cleanup capabilities as applied to satellite/cable HDTV 1080i/720p input (delivered untouched "native resolution as-is" from the source DVR/STB, so that only the Oppo features are applied).

This capability is unique to the Oppo players, and I believe you'll find it invaluable for improving satellite/cable HDTV picture quality.
Thanks, man. I didn't think about that.
post #17270 of 19284 Old 06-17-2014, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Updated to the new firmware over the weekend and still have an old problem and a new one.

After muting or pausing Directv I get an audible "pop" when I turn the volume back on or hit the play. I thought that this problem was corrected two firmware versions ago but apparently it is back. I run analog 5.1 outs to my AV receiver.

Secondly, when playing a dvd if I try to rewind the OPPO the image freezes on the screen but the counter continues to roll backwards as it should. The only way to get it to change is to turn everything off, then back on again. It does not matter if I use the OPPO remote or my Harmony remote. Can I reload the version that last worked for me ( two versions back) or ??

Samsung HL61A750
Harman Kardon AVR520
Oppo BDP-103
Dynaco A35 fronts
Wharfedale WH-2 Center with dipole rears
Wharfedale Diamond 10.SX sub
post #17271 of 19284 Old 06-17-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Problems accessing networked USB HDDs

Hi guys,
I need some help with mapping my USB HDDs on my network to my Oppo 103 player.
Basically my setup is this: I have a couple of USB HDDs connected to a USB hub. The USB Hub is connected to my Airport Extreme Router. I would like my 103 to play from those drives on the network. Having those drives on the network allows me to see them from any device in my house.

So what I've encountered so far is this:
When I go to the Network Menu, I see my NAS (not used for media files), and my router's name. Presumably my router's name reflects anything that could be connected to my router.

I then selected my router, and it asked for my username and password. Note that I had already connected to my network via wifi, so I was somewhat surprised to be asked for both, especially since my network doesn't need a username. So I'm assuming that I had to use my admin logon details for the network to connect to the router via my Oppo.

After several unsuccessful attempts, I finally managed to get logged on. It then provided me with 3 folder names: Photos, Music, and Videos. I don't use those folders so I was somewhat surprised about that.

I selected Videos, and it then showed me 2 USB HDDs (the two I currently have connected to my router via a USB Hub). When I then selected the drive of my choice, it again asked me for a username and password.
I never set up any password for that drive, so I'm surprised it asked me. I tried all kinds of combinations (including nothing at all), without success, and now I basically cannot access that drive.

Could someone explain to me what's going on here, and how I can fix this issue?

As a note, I'm using a Mac at home, I don't have any windows based PCs.

Many thanks in advance!
post #17272 of 19284 Old 06-17-2014, 07:26 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywyoming View Post
Secondly, when playing a dvd if I try to rewind the OPPO the image freezes on the screen but the counter continues to roll backwards as it should. The only way to get it to change is to turn everything off, then back on again.
DVDs only, not Blu-ray? There is a known problem with DVD rewind when DVD 24p is turned on. If you have that set, try turning it off. We expect this will be fixed in future firmware.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #17273 of 19284 Old 06-17-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I'm looking at possibly upgrading from a BDP93 in our theater to the 103 if it can handle .MKV rips stored on the local network any better.

I currently have all of our Blu Rays ripped to a Windows Home Server in .MKV format. Is there any way to initiate .MKV playback on the 103 via a command line, or http request? (not needing to browe the network shares). I have a Dune Player in our Living Room, and can start playback of any specif movie with a simple http request issues with a command like this...

http://dune-ip-address/cgi-bin/do?cm...folder/xxx.MKV

I've found I can also do the same thing from a windows PC with WGET. I can program these into the home automation system, and contrtol this way. Is something like this possible with the 103?

Ultimately I'd like to "push" the file with no trans-coding to the Oppo....
post #17274 of 19284 Old 06-17-2014, 08:06 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ The 103, unlike the 93, is also a DLNA Digital Media Renderer -- which means the DLNA server can "push" files to the 103, controlled by whatever UI you have to control the DLNA server.
--Bob

post #17275 of 19284 Old 06-17-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:
^ The 103, unlike the 93, is also a DLNA Digital Media Renderer -- which means the DLNA server can "push" files to the 103, controlled by whatever UI you have to control the DLNA server.
--Bob
Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply. That make sense. However, I still have a question as to what type of connection takes place when I issue a command to start playback over a network share with my Dune player? I don't need to have a DLNA server running...the network shared folder just needs to be avaiable. I think It is set up as SMB. Since (I think) the 103 can do SMB, is it possible to start file playback in the same fashion?
post #17276 of 19284 Old 06-17-2014, 08:53 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post

Thanks for the quick reply. That make sense. However, I still have a question as to what type of connection takes place when I issue a command to start playback over a network share with my Dune player? I don't need to have a DLNA server running...the network shared folder just needs to be avaiable. I think It is set up as SMB. Since (I think) the 103 can do SMB, is it possible to start file playback in the same fashion?
I don't know how the Dune works. You'll need to use a Digital Media Controller to push files to the OPPO. See the FAQ: Is the player a Digital Media Renderer?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #17277 of 19284 Old 06-17-2014, 09:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoram View Post
Bob,

Yes. Essentially that's what's being done when you control the player using OPPO's own MediaControl iOS and Android apps. They communicate with the player over the network and command the player to do stuff you could normally do using the player's built-in UI. However, OPPO has not formally published the network command protocols for doing that. I believe there have been reports of folks getting that stuff from OPPO by asking for it, but I've not been tracking that closely.

Note that this is still a "pull" playback operation. To truly "push" files to the player you need to use a DLNA server.
--Bob

post #17278 of 19284 Old 06-17-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksporry View Post
Hi guys,
I need some help with mapping my USB HDDs on my network to my Oppo 103 player.
Basically my setup is this: I have a couple of USB HDDs connected to a USB hub. The USB Hub is connected to my Airport Extreme Router. I would like my 103 to play from those drives on the network. Having those drives on the network allows me to see them from any device in my house.

So what I've encountered so far is this:
When I go to the Network Menu, I see my NAS (not used for media files), and my router's name. Presumably my router's name reflects anything that could be connected to my router.

I then selected my router, and it asked for my username and password. Note that I had already connected to my network via wifi, so I was somewhat surprised to be asked for both, especially since my network doesn't need a username. So I'm assuming that I had to use my admin logon details for the network to connect to the router via my Oppo.

After several unsuccessful attempts, I finally managed to get logged on. It then provided me with 3 folder names: Photos, Music, and Videos. I don't use those folders so I was somewhat surprised about that.

I selected Videos, and it then showed me 2 USB HDDs (the two I currently have connected to my router via a USB Hub). When I then selected the drive of my choice, it again asked me for a username and password.
I never set up any password for that drive, so I'm surprised it asked me. I tried all kinds of combinations (including nothing at all), without success, and now I basically cannot access that drive.

Could someone explain to me what's going on here, and how I can fix this issue?

As a note, I'm using a Mac at home, I don't have any windows based PCs.

Many thanks in advance!
There's a few potential issues here, none of which are the player's fault. Your router has the job of presenting the shares, and that's where you should start looking for settings. If the drives were formatted using the MAC, there may be additional issues there. Suggest you look for solutions in the various forums for networking and MACs. As for the Oppo, if no user or password is required on the share, just enter past that password screen, leaving it blank.
post #17279 of 19284 Old 06-17-2014, 09:17 AM
jcg
AVS Special Member

I realize .avi is a container, I should have mentioned the file I'm concerned with is xViD encoded video, so I wanted to know if the Oppo would process that and if it will look as good as if I played a DVD? If it does process it is it the exact same processing that a DVD would get?

jcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
DVD is a container that contains MPEG2 video. AVI is just a container as well, and it can contain various types of video formats.

I know this doesn't answer the question, but I think it's important to distinguish video codecs from video containers.
post #17280 of 19284 Old 06-17-2014, 09:20 AM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Was this an answer to my question regarding .avi being processed similar to the processing a DVD gets? If so I forgot to mention that the .avi has the video encoded with XviD. Would both the .avi and a DVD get the exact same processing? Would that both look very similar or would one be better than the other?

jcg

Quote:
^ Yes it is processed.
--Bob
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc