post #17281 of 18487 Old 06-17-2014, 08:32 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg View Post
I realize .avi is a container, I should have mentioned the file I'm concerned with is xViD encoded video, so I wanted to know if the Oppo would process that and if it will look as good as if I played a DVD? If it does process it is it the exact same processing that a DVD would get?

jcg
Yes, you get the same processing from the player. I'm sure you know: whether your transcoded video looks like the original mpeg2 of the DVD is a different issue, not related to the player.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17282 of 18487 Old 06-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg View Post
Was this an answer to my question regarding .avi being processed similar to the processing a DVD gets? If so I forgot to mention that the .avi has the video encoded with XviD. Would both the .avi and a DVD get the exact same processing? Would that both look very similar or would one be better than the other?

jcg
If the video content inside the AVI container is a supported format (see the FAQ -- link at the top of the first post of this thread), then it is processed. There are too many variables involved in how DVD content is created and how your AVI may have been created to predict which will look "better".
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #17283 of 18487 Old 06-17-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Is it possible while playing CD/SACD with Oppo 103, also use an HDMI from another source (in this case, a laptop) to import visualization and display it on TV together at the same time?

Can Oppo and the laptop both be connected to a receiver (processor) via HDMI?

Can the laptop be connected to an Oppo 103 via HDMI?

Last edited by sharok; 06-17-2014 at 10:49 AM.
post #17284 of 18487 Old 06-17-2014, 10:58 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
Is it possible while playing CD/SACD with Oppo 103, also use an HDMI from another source (in this case, a laptop) to import visualization and display it on TV together at the same time?
No. You can have a slide show from locally stored images but not via HDMI input.

Quote:
I must not be understanding this. If your receiver has two HDMI inputs then both player and laptop can be connected to it. Are you asking about some other configuration?

Quote:
Yes, the player has HDMI input. If the laptop has HDMI output and produces a standard signal that will work.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #17285 of 18487 Old 06-17-2014, 11:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

A laptop can be connected to an HDMI Input of the 103, presuming it can be set to put out one of the standard, home theater, video formats (e.g., 1080p).

However, you can not view an HDMI Input while also playing other content (such as a CD).

Of course the OPPO and laptop can be connected to separate HDMI Inputs of an AVR. Some AVR's (not many, but some) allow you to hear audio from one HDMI source while viewing video from another. This is rare because it requires two separate HDMI video processing paths (since HDMI audio is embedded in HDMI video). Much more common is that you can play HDMI video from one source while listening to ANALOG audio (or Optical/Coax digital audio) from another source. Check your AVR Manual. Of course the OPPO could be your Analog/Optical/Coax audio source for that.

If you have both music (such as a CD rip) and photo media files on attached storage, you can set the OPPO to play the music while also playing a slide show of the photo files. See the Manual.
--Bob

post #17286 of 18487 Old 06-17-2014, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quick ? As I don't have time to read all 577 pages:

I already own one 103 and am looking to buy another but will wait until they become equipped with the HDMI 2.0 spec parts. Any info on when this might occur?

TIA
post #17287 of 18487 Old 06-17-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
A laptop can be connected to an HDMI Input of the 103, presuming it can be set to put out one of the standard, home theater, video formats (e.g., 1080p).

However, you can not view an HDMI Input while also playing other content (such as a CD).

Of course the OPPO and laptop can be connected to separate HDMI Inputs of an AVR. Some AVR's (not many, but some) allow you to hear audio from one HDMI source while viewing video from another. This is rare because it requires two separate HDMI video processing paths (since HDMI audio is embedded in HDMI video). Much more common is that you can play HDMI video from one source while listening to ANALOG audio (or Optical/Coax digital audio) from another source. Check your AVR Manual. Of course the OPPO could be your Analog/Optical/Coax audio source for that.

If you have both music (such as a CD rip) and photo media files on attached storage, you can set the OPPO to play the music while also playing a slide show of the photo files. See the Manual.
--Bob
Good Afternoon Bob,
Yes, my laptop HDMI passes 1080p.
If Oppo is being used as a processor (analog outputs going to amp) and my laptop is connected to Oppo via HDMI, is it possible to pass the video to my TV from Oppo while Oppo is playing SACD?

I'd like to play my SACDs and high quality CD (MFSL) using Oppo and also use my laptop visualization at the same time.
post #17288 of 18487 Old 06-17-2014, 11:28 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post

I already own one 103 and am looking to buy another but will wait until they become equipped with the HDMI 2.0 spec parts. Any info on when this might occur?

TIA
No info.

I expect HDMI 2.0 to be a long, troubled rollout for the industry. And they'll be doing a new HDCP at the same time.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #17289 of 18487 Old 06-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Good Afternoon Bob,
Yes, my laptop HDMI passes 1080p.
If Oppo is being used as a processor (analog outputs going to amp) and my laptop is connected to Oppo via HDMI, is it possible to pass the video to my TV from Oppo while Oppo is playing SACD?

I'd like to play my SACDs and high quality CD (MFSL) using Oppo and also use my laptop visualization at the same time.
No. As I said above, when viewing an HDMI Input of the OPPO you can't *ALSO* play any other content.

To do what you want to do, you will need to connect the laptop to your AVR as well as the audio connection from the OPPO (presuming your AVR allows you to mix inputs like that -- check for how it tells you to connect a "DVI" source device for example).
--Bob

post #17290 of 18487 Old 06-17-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
No. As I said above, when viewing an HDMI Input of the OPPO you can't *ALSO* play any other content.

To do what you want to do, you will need to connect the laptop to your AVR as well as the audio connection from the OPPO (presuming your AVR allows you to mix inputs like that -- check for how it tells you to connect a "DVI" source device for example).
--Bob
Thanks Bob.

So using a capable (using two inputs simultaneously) AVR/proc is my only option for that usage.
post #17291 of 18487 Old 06-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeogeoG View Post
Hy, I have a Oppo103eu, and want to buy an external 3 o 4TB hardrive but would like to know if the Oppo has no problems with this sice, for example my previous Dune HD Smart D1 only suported 2TB.

Regards.
I have a new 5TB Toshiba HDD hooked up to my 103D without any issues. You'll be fine.
post #17292 of 18487 Old 06-17-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post

TIA
Currently there's no practical use for HDMI-2 hardware in a disc player, nor is there likely to be in the near future. That said, there's no doubt it will become the next big "check-off" item for hardware marketing to brag about. You're waiting for a dream. (or a nightmare as Bill suggested)
post #17293 of 18487 Old 06-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Thanks Bob.

So using a capable (using two inputs simultaneously) AVR/proc is my only option for that usage.
You could also do what I've done many times before, if your setup allows it.

Oppo->AVR, play music.

Laptop->TV - Skip the AVR, just plug your laptop directly into your TV. Just change the input on your TV to your laptop while you let the music play.
post #17294 of 18487 Old 06-17-2014, 02:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
DVDs only, not Blu-ray? There is a known problem with DVD rewind when DVD 24p is turned on. If you have that set, try turning it off. We expect this will be fixed in future firmware.

-Bill
Thanks Bill. Only dvds so far but will check Blu-rays tonight and check the dvd24p which I believe I have set to on.

Samsung HL61A750
Harman Kardon AVR520
Oppo BDP-103
Dynaco A35 fronts
Wharfedale WH-2 Center with dipole rears
Wharfedale Diamond 10.SX sub
post #17295 of 18487 Old 06-17-2014, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywyoming View Post
Updated to the new firmware over the weekend and still have an old problem and a new one.

After muting or pausing Directv I get an audible "pop" when I turn the volume back on or hit the play. I thought that this problem was corrected two firmware versions ago but apparently it is back. I run analog 5.1 outs to my AV receiver.
I recently tried to use my directv box through the 103 again, but for me the miniscule, random audio glitches common to their DD feeds were multiplied to second(s) long every time they happened, so lost too much additional audio than normal via a direct audio feed through my receiver.

I did pay more attention to the picture though, and for the most part it did seem to be an improvement overall compared to my direct feed the the tv.

(It's my understanding that even the newest directv boxes have similar audio issue, but I could be wrong. Don't really want to make a 2 year additional commitment to find out.)
post #17296 of 18487 Old 06-17-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 227
^^^^
DirecTV has always had issues with DD 5.1 streams, which are much worse via HDMI. No doubt, any glitch will force the Oppo to re-handshake on the downstream side.
post #17297 of 18487 Old 06-17-2014, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 173
This happens all the time with my cable box I use with Comcast direct to my receiver as well. Just sounds like the HDMI outputs on these devices are pretty terrible.
post #17298 of 18487 Old 06-17-2014, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
DirecTV has always had issues with DD 5.1 streams, which are much worse via HDMI. No doubt, any glitch will force the Oppo to re-handshake on the downstream side.
Ok, some things never change I guess. Actually in order to avoid my dvr locking up occasionally while fast forwarding or rewinding, I ended up early on limiting the hdmi to video only and using optical for the DD. Maybe that helps make the DD audio glitches less of an issue during my normal use.
post #17299 of 18487 Old 06-17-2014, 11:31 PM

Changed the dvd24p setting to off and that cured the rewind freeze problem. From the above posts it looks like I'll have to live with the directv audio glitches until a work around is accomplished.

Samsung HL61A750
Harman Kardon AVR520
Oppo BDP-103
Dynaco A35 fronts
Wharfedale WH-2 Center with dipole rears
Wharfedale Diamond 10.SX sub
post #17300 of 18487 Old 06-18-2014, 09:53 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
Ok, some things never change I guess. Actually in order to avoid my dvr locking up occasionally while fast forwarding or rewinding, I ended up early on limiting the hdmi to video only and using optical for the DD. Maybe that helps make the DD audio glitches less of an issue during my normal use.
I've not had issues with RW/FF of DirecTV going through my Oppo. I have, however, had a couple of lockups during resolution changes after deleting a program, but never when just channel surfing. No issues at all with audio, although I used to have them with my previous AV receiver. My DTV receiver is an older model HR21-700, and current AVR is Denon 3311, FWIW.

sorry for all of the abbreviations!
post #17301 of 18487 Old 06-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic_D View Post
I've not had issues with RW/FF of DirecTV going through my Oppo. I have, however, had a couple of lockups during resolution changes after deleting a program, but never when just channel surfing. No issues at all with audio, although I used to have them with my previous AV receiver. My DTV receiver is an older model HR21-700, and current AVR is Denon 3311, FWIW.

sorry for all of the abbreviations!
I think things went screwy with the HR24 (new model when I started subscribing), so hold on tight to your HR21. I'll be sticking with my Denon 5805mk2 for as long as it will have me... it works great with everything else I've thrown at it, including the Oppos.
post #17302 of 18487 Old 06-18-2014, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
There's a few potential issues here, none of which are the player's fault. Your router has the job of presenting the shares, and that's where you should start looking for settings. If the drives were formatted using the MAC, there may be additional issues there. Suggest you look for solutions in the various forums for networking and MACs. As for the Oppo, if no user or password is required on the share, just enter past that password screen, leaving it blank.
So the discs were formatted as FAT, because anything else the 103 did not recognise (my popcorn hour did recognise extended journal format, which was the original formatting, which I had to redo). Since the 103 can read the discs when connected directly with USB that is not the problem.
Also, it can see the drives via the network when those are connected to the router, but it just cannot access it. Someone in another forum suggested this was because the 103 only does SMB1, and Apple uses SMB2 (as a note on that, the Airport extreme is supposed to use SMB1 for USB disc sharing, but the fact that the 103 asks for a username and password means it probably works in SMB2).
I probably should try without the USB hub. As a note the hub is a powered hub, because non-powered hubs don't work on the AEBS...
post #17303 of 18487 Old 06-18-2014, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
re: Oppo not passing through signal

I have had some issues with the Oppo since I bought it. The most recent one is that it has stopped passing through my cable signal from my cable tv box. It was working, then it started to get fussy about it, taking longer than normal to handshake, now nothing. The other settings work fine. Thoughts?
post #17304 of 18487 Old 06-18-2014, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 173
Try the HDMI IN FRONT instead of the HDMI IN REAR on the player.

Try an alternative HDMI cable between the player and the cable box/player and the television.

Try HDMI 1 direct to the television and remove any HDMI 2 cable and see if the same errors persist.
post #17305 of 18487 Old 06-18-2014, 09:32 PM

A thank you to everybody that has posted here as it answered most of my questions and convinced me to upgrade, so I picked myself up a 103.

Great upgrade from my older BDP. It's been able to play everything I've thrown at it (via DLNA) that lives on my NAS and PQ from blu-rays are certainly better that what I had expected. Only downside is I can't use any of the movie streaming apps due to my geographic location..

I haven't really touched the settings but without going through all 577 pages (I've been through most) of posts, any quick "best config" for PQ tips?

Thanks all.
post #17306 of 18487 Old 06-18-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGunstone View Post
I haven't really touched the settings but without going through all 577 pages (I've been through most) of posts, any quick "best config" for PQ tips?
You might look at this unofficial "recommended settings" document for the 103.
PGunstone likes this.
post #17307 of 18487 Old 06-18-2014, 11:07 PM

Cheers DSperber. I'll have a look through it.
post #17308 of 18487 Old 06-19-2014, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys and gals, Iv'e got a question. I'm having a problem with either my Oppo BDP-103 or my Onkyo PR-SC886 so I'll post this in both threads. When I'm playing a BD disc with DTS HDMA 7.1 audio it shows on the 103's display that It's reading the correct format but my Onkyo only shows DTS in it's disply and I do have the 103 set to bitstream. The thing that"s confusing is I can hook up my Panny, Sammy & Sony players to the Onkyo and have no problem getting the Onkyo to display DTS MA. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!!!!!!!
post #17309 of 18487 Old 06-19-2014, 08:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Set Secondary Audio OFF.
--Bob
lanping09 likes this.
post #17310 of 18487 Old 06-19-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just received my BDP-103. A couple of quick questions.

1) Wasn't there some sort of first time setup wizard? When I powered mine up for the time, it just took me to the home screen.?
2) It's telling me that a new firmware is available (connected via wired ethenet). When I select yes to upgrade, it just takes me back to the home screen.? It's done the 3X now...
3) What state does the player need to be in to have it's networking (UPNP/DLNA) started (ie the player shows up on the network). Do I have to browse to the Network source? I would think it would show up as soon as the player is turned on, and it has had time to connect to the netowork? However, I can only seem to find it, when I go to the home screen, and then select the Network Icon. Is this the case?? If so, is there a command to take it to the Network Source/Browser?

I don't really like talking about my flair

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page