Forum Jump: 
 224Likes

post #17371 of 19022 Old 06-23-2014, 08:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

i still have major audio dropouts when watching Dolby True Hd movies!!

i thought this was fixed in a firmware but apparently not!

if i change HDMI Audio to PCM not Bitstream then the problem is solved but Bitstream should work also!

i use Emotiva UMC-200 as a Processor.

//Mikael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17372 of 19022 Old 06-23-2014, 08:23 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIIKE888 View Post
Hi!

if i change HDMI Audio to PCM not Bitstream then the problem is solved but Bitstream should work also!

//Mikael
The fix for Monters U was first introduced in 69-0124B and I recall hearing that it would fix some cases but not all.

"Should work": well, yes, but this is Dolby's fault, along with the studios who deployed an authoring technique without proper testing. Complaints to them, please.

The ultimate fix to the existing problem discs is new firmware in the receivers, but that doesn't often happen, so we get the complaints in the player forums.

-Bill
post #17373 of 19022 Old 06-23-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Hi!

//Mikael
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
The fix for Monters U was first introduced in 69-0124B and I recall hearing that it would fix some cases but not all.

"Should work": well, yes, but this is Dolby's fault, along with the studios who deployed an authoring technique without proper testing. Complaints to them, please.

The ultimate fix to the existing problem discs is new firmware in the receivers, but that doesn't often happen, so we get the complaints in the player forums.

-Bill
There was a significant improvement with this on either 68-1224 or 68-1225B. I've not experienced any significant audio dropouts on Dolby TrueHD tracks with any subsequent firmware. I also have seen the suggestion that the dropouts were Dolby's fault because of the way the discs were authored, and agree that if that is truly the case that a firmware update in the device doing the bitstream decoding (the AVR) would probably need to be the fix. Of course there never has been any problem when the Oppo is doing the bitstream decoding (set to LCPM output). However I find it curious and confusing that either one or multiple Oppo firmware update(s) apparently corrected the majority of the dropouts I was experiencing on Dolby TrueHD audio with bitstream output. If this is only a case of authoring in a manner that the bitstream decoder has difficulty with, how does a firmware update on the Oppo effect this at all when the Oppo isn't doing the bitstream decoding?
post #17374 of 19022 Old 06-23-2014, 09:22 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 952
^ My understanding is that Dolby has confirmed to OPPO that the Bitstream output of the player is "correct". Any remaining problems are in the Receivers. The processing in the player involves extracting the Bitstream audio from the disc and packaging it up for HDMI output. It was possible for the player to do that in a way that reduced, but evidently did not completely eliminate, the chance that the Bitstream decoders in the Receivers would screw up. This is content dependent -- specifically, which Dolby tools were used to produce the content on disc and how far the studio's authors pushed those tools. The problem arises when newer authoring tools are used with older decoders in the Receivers.

As discussed, the workaround, if your receiver hiccups on this stuff, is to let the OPPO do the decoding -- set HDMI Audio LPCM for such tracks.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17375 of 19022 Old 06-23-2014, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
In recent builds the Oppo added the capability to play DSD DFF files (mime type audio/x-dff) via UPnP push. And according to my testing this capability works just fine.

But there is still a niggle that needs to be fixed: a UPnP renderer is supposed to respond to a UPnP GetProtocolInfo request with a SinkProtocolInfo return value giving a list of all the media formats that it can play. Presently the Oppo can play tracks with mime type audio/x-dff but it does not include audio/x-dff in its SinkProtocolInfo response list. So I hope that Oppo can correct this inconsistency in its next software release.

Is there some one here (Bob for example) who can convey this request to the developers please?
post #17376 of 19022 Old 06-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post
In recent builds the Oppo added the capability to play DSD DFF files (mime type audio/x-dff) via UPnP push. And according to my testing this capability works just fine.

But there is still a niggle that needs to be fixed: a UPnP renderer is supposed to respond to a UPnP GetProtocolInfo request with a SinkProtocolInfo return value giving a list of all the media formats that it can play. Presently the Oppo can play tracks with mime type audio/x-dff but it does not include audio/x-dff in its SinkProtocolInfo response list. So I hope that Oppo can correct this inconsistency in its next software release.

Is there some one here (Bob for example) who can convey this request to the developers please?
I'll post your report.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17377 of 19022 Old 06-23-2014, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
I'll post your report.
--Bob

Many thanks Bob
post #17378 of 19022 Old 06-23-2014, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Hi!

//Mikael
I bitstream Dolby True HD from 103 to my Denon 3808 with no issues.

I agree, Denon is a piece of junk compared to high-end processors / receivers (Classe, Anthem Statement, ...) but compared to Emotiva Denon is a king.

Last edited by sharok; 06-23-2014 at 10:01 PM.
post #17379 of 19022 Old 06-24-2014, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Dolby TrueHD

The last time I checked, playback of Blu-ray disc's containing Dolby TrueHD worked fine with my Onkyo amp.

However, I do remember having playback issues when the Dolby TrueHD is placed within the .MKV container, but I suspect this may be because the Dolby Digital core is automatically removed during muxing.

Playback issues become more apparent if you place Dolby TrueHD within the .MKA container as 'audio only' file...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #17380 of 19022 Old 06-24-2014, 04:23 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharok View Post
I agree, Denon is a piece of junk compared to high-end processors / receivers (Classe, Anthem Statement, ...)
That's pretty harsh, and those of us who own top of the line Denon gear, such as the AVP-A1HDCI surround sound processor, would strongly disagree with your statement.
mhobart likes this.
post #17381 of 19022 Old 06-24-2014, 07:34 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
The last time I checked, playback of Blu-ray disc's containing Dolby TrueHD worked fine with my Onkyo amp.

However, I do remember having playback issues when the Dolby TrueHD is placed within the .MKV container, but I suspect this may be because the Dolby Digital core is automatically removed during muxing.

Playback issues become more apparent if you place Dolby TrueHD within the .MKA container as 'audio only' file...
I forgot to write that i only watch movies through network and Mkv remix files.

everything else works flawless.
post #17382 of 19022 Old 06-24-2014, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
That's pretty harsh, and those of us who own top of the line Denon gear, such as the AVP-A1HDCI surround sound processor, would strongly disagree with your statement.
I'm a Denon user myself (3808) and it is flawless. My point was that if you use an Emotiva pre/pro, you can expect problems based on their history.
post #17383 of 19022 Old 06-24-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I forgot to write that i only watch movies through network and Mkv remix files.
Do you know which muxing application was used to create these 'problem' .MKV muxes with Dolby TrueHD audio?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #17384 of 19022 Old 06-24-2014, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just received a refurb 103 at work this morning.
My PS3 decided it doesn't want to play 3D discs just when I got a new 60" display. So I decided to get a dedicated player to match up with all my hi-res audio discs as well as trying 3D.
You can thank me when the announcement of Oppo's replacement product comes out next week! ;-)

This will be a long afternoon waiting to get out of here!
post #17385 of 19022 Old 06-24-2014, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Looking for a straight up answer from Oppo owners. I currently have a Sony S790 and i consider the PQ to be top notch. Recently, I've been experiencing some weird glitches, and I think it's time for me to start looking into buying a new player. I don't have a sound system, and I'm not interested in streaming and/or playing any type of files format. My main concern is mainly the PQ on Blu rays. Will the Oppo give me a better PQ coming from a Sony S790? Is is really $300 better? I would also consider the 103D if there is a considerably bump in PQ. Any opinions from past S790 owners woud be greatly appreciated!
post #17386 of 19022 Old 06-24-2014, 01:08 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post
Will the Oppo give me a better PQ
Probably not. Do you calibrate the display? That will make a bigger difference than swapping gear.

Quote:
Is it really $300 better?
Value is always subjective.

Quote:
I would also consider the 103D if there is a considerably bump in PQ.
Darbee processing is a whole different factor. Have you read about it or seen it in action? The effect is subtle when used properly but many people find it a positive one.

-Bill
post #17387 of 19022 Old 06-24-2014, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Looking for a straight up answer from Oppo owners. I currently have a Sony S790 and i consider the PQ to be top notch. Recently, I've been experiencing some weird glitches, and I think it's time for me to start looking into buying a new player. I don't have a sound system, and I'm not interested in streaming and/or playing any type of files format. My main concern is mainly the PQ on Blu rays. Will the Oppo give me a better PQ coming from a Sony S790? Is is really $300 better? I would also consider the 103D if there is a considerably bump in PQ. Any opinions from past S790 owners woud be greatly appreciated!
Straight answer?
If not interested in streaming/file format support and when not having a sound system I would suggest you buy something cheaper.
When using HDMI all Blu-ray players *should* produce EXACTLY the same image (when turning off all image enhancement options of course).

So my advice in your particular case : buy some cheap Blu-ray with HDMI which has good reviews.
(for your info : the Oppo is the best Blu-ray player I have ever had, but I am using alot more functions than you)

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
post #17388 of 19022 Old 06-24-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 430
It looks to me like the BD input is the default setting. Can that be changed? I watch more TV than movies so it would be nice if I could set the HDMI input as default so I wouldn't have to change it every time I turn on the unit.

D* HR44 to 103 to split A/V.
post #17389 of 19022 Old 06-24-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Walmart has a couple with the same PQ for $39.98.

Life without bass is not worth living.
post #17390 of 19022 Old 06-24-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
It looks to me like the BD input is the default setting. Can that be changed? I watch more TV than movies so it would be nice if I could set the HDMI input as default so I wouldn't have to change it every time I turn on the unit.

I have the 105 and you can set it to Last Input in the Settings Menu. Not sure if the 103 has the same thing.

Life without bass is not worth living.
post #17391 of 19022 Old 06-24-2014, 03:01 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

You can have it startup using the last input used. If that's not right you still have to use the INPUT button.

Setup -> Playback Setup -> Power On Input = Last Input

-Bill
post #17392 of 19022 Old 06-24-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
I have the 105 and you can set it to Last Input in the Settings Menu. Not sure if the 103 has the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
You can have it startup using the last input used. If that's not right you still have to use the INPUT button.

Setup -> Playback Setup -> Power On Input = Last Input

-Bill
That works. Thanks

It's a 12 second delay before it kicks in, but that's faster than having to select it every time.
post #17393 of 19022 Old 06-24-2014, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post

Bob I saw that you posted this request to the developers. My question is similar but may not be related. I'm using JRiver 19 on my server, with JRemote running on my iPad, and loving my multi-channel DSD music. From my iPad and JRemote my 105 plays the .dff files without a hiccup, but doesn't like the .dsf files and will not play them. Searched this thread and others looking for setup guidance to see if my JRiver is set up properly. Believe the proper setting in JRiver is to convert the 64DSD to 192kHz. Also in the Tools/Media Network/Advanced menu, if I select the Bitstream DSD (requires DoPE compliant renderer) neither the DFF or DSF files will play. Believe the 105 is a DoPE compliant render. On my 105, the Audio format setting for DSD= DSD and I am outputting via analogs to my SSP-800.

What am I missing or is DSD dsf over Ethernet not yet a working feature? As a test I am putting the same DSD DSF file on my USB stick and will use the front panel USB on the 105 to see if that works. Thanks for anyone's help.

South Florida is my Theater
Listen to live music and recreate it at home.
post #17394 of 19022 Old 06-25-2014, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Passing DSD (.dsf and .dff) via UPnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post
What am I missing or is DSD dsf over Ethernet not yet a working feature? As a test I am putting the same DSD DSF file on my USB stick and will use the front panel USB on the 105 to see if that works. Thanks for anyone's help.
I can confirm that with the newest firmware, I am able access and play DSD files stored on my Synology NAS with an .dsf and .dff file extension via SMB and UPnP...

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 06-25-2014 at 11:19 AM.
post #17395 of 19022 Old 06-25-2014, 07:05 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
. . . .
I'm using JRiver 19 on my server, with JRemote running on my iPad, and loving my multi-channel DSD music. From my iPad and JRemote my 105 plays the .dff files without a hiccup, but doesn't like the .dsf files and will not play them. Searched this thread and others looking for setup guidance to see if my JRiver is set up properly. Believe the proper setting in JRiver is to convert the 64DSD to 192kHz. Also in the Tools/Media Network/Advanced menu, if I select the Bitstream DSD (requires DoPE compliant renderer) neither the DFF or DSF files will play. Believe the 105 is a DoPE compliant render. On my 105, the Audio format setting for DSD= DSD and I am outputting via analogs to my SSP-800.

I don't know enough about the JRiver DLNA server to know if this is supposed to work or not at this point. AndrewFG's report seems to suggest forcing some MIME types to be enabled may be needed. Let's see if any of the JRiver experts here chime in.
--Bob

post #17396 of 19022 Old 06-25-2014, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was all set to buy the 103 for my hubby. When reading through this thread to find ideal settings to set it up i found the mention of this "Darbee" model.

www.amazon.com/OPPO-BDP-103D-Universal-Blu-ray-Edition/dp/B00GPFM106/

Now im torn what to pick, is it worth the extra $100? some of the reviewers are excited about it, some dont think it was worth it....at $500/$600 I would have to make the right choice from the get go.
post #17397 of 19022 Old 06-25-2014, 07:33 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeahOlin View Post
I was all set to buy the 103 for my hubby. When reading through this thread to find ideal settings to set it up i found the mention of this "Darbee" model.

www.amazon.com/OPPO-BDP-103D-Universal-Blu-ray-Edition/dp/B00GPFM106/

Now im torn what to pick, is it worth the extra $100? some of the reviewers are excited about it, some dont think it was worth it....at $500/$600 I would have to make the right choice from the get go.
The improvement is a subtle one and a matter of subjective taste.

Is he a videophile? Is the hobby important to him? Does he have calibration discs and does he spend a lot of time tweaking the image, driving you nuts?

If not: save money where possible.

-Bill
post #17398 of 19022 Old 06-25-2014, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I can confirm that with the newest firmware, I am able access and play DSD files stored on my Synology NAS with an .dsf and .dff file extension via SMB and UPnP...
Is your NAS connected to oppo via USB or by network?

South Florida is my Theater
Listen to live music and recreate it at home.
post #17399 of 19022 Old 06-25-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
I'm using JRiver 19 on my server, with JRemote running on my iPad, and loving my multi-channel DSD music. From my iPad and JRemote my 105 plays the .dff files without a hiccup, but doesn't like the .dsf files and will not play them. Searched this thread and others looking for setup guidance to see if my JRiver is set up properly. Believe the proper setting in JRiver is to convert the 64DSD to 192kHz.
No. Do not transcode the DSD stream in JRiver. The Oppo 10x players want to see the DSD audio file "as is". In your "Add or Configure DLNA servers" menu, set the "Audio" field to "Original", and no checkboxes set in the "Audio/Advanced section".

Quote:
Also in the Tools/Media Network/Advanced menu, if I select the Bitstream DSD (requires DoPE compliant renderer) neither the DFF or DSF files will play. Believe the 105 is a DoPE compliant render. On my 105, the Audio format setting for DSD= DSD and I am outputting via analogs to my SSP-800.
Do NOT select that option in JRiver's "Media Network/Advanced" menu. As stated above, the Oppo 10x players do NOT want the DSD stream repackaged in any other format other than the .dsf or .dff container. You can set "DLNA" and "DLNAExtra" in the Advanced menue, but that's about it.

Quote:
What am I missing or is DSD dsf over Ethernet not yet a working feature? Thanks for anyone's help.
There is no DoPE implementation in the 10x players.

Last edited by DanF8500; 06-25-2014 at 08:41 AM.
post #17400 of 19022 Old 06-25-2014, 08:39 AM

Liked: 11
I have some problems with my new OPPO 103D, interested if there is others who noticed the same, sorry if its written somewhere in this threat, its to long to read it all.

There seems to be a problem with the high frequence croma signal on HDMI 1 out, looks perfect on HDMI 2 out, also it changes color space output even its forced to 4:2:2 in the setup menu, it output RGB, but it can be changed back to 4:2:2 if selecting RGB and back to 4:2:2. untill the next time its started up again.

I did a factory reset, and checked all settings.

Made some pictures of the croma multiburst to display the difference of the 2 HDMI output
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0461.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	134682   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0462.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	134690  

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page