Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 582 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #17431 of 18272 Old 06-26-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 1,702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Unfortunately for me, my experience with hardware media players dates back over a decade... In those early days, SMB speeds were much slower than UPnP speeds. But UPnP did not support many container types. So you had to switch between the two connection protocols in order to play the files you required.

I find it pretty natural to navigate to the files I require with the TV switched on. Because that's the only way we were able to do it all those years ago. Admittedly it's a waste of power, when all you want to do is play an audio file

I guess I should buy myself an even smarter, more powerful smart phone and install the appropriate apps so I can push 'audio' files to my Oppo. But then again if I bought myself a new surround sound amplifier with 'network DSD streaming' support (such as the new Onkyo's) I would not need to switch on the Oppo either... Decisions, decisions...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 06-26-2014 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Onkyo surround sound amplifier reference added...
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17432 of 18272 Old 06-26-2014, 08:35 AM
Member
 
Daffietje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
I hope this isn't another one of my stupidly simple solutions that is staring me in the face. I've been reading sync issues via the search feature but didn't see anything pertaining to this.

D* HR44 to 103 to split A/V.

When I FF (multiple consecutive pushes on the FF button) on my HR44, when I stop the sound is 1 second behind the video, or it hiccups (quick sound, quick no sound, quickly the sound is restored - about 2 seconds). Everything is in sync so I can't see using any sync settings to compensate for this. Its as if this is happening too fast for the 103 to process. If I FF one push at a time there are no sync issues. This audio delay will also occur when I'm not watching a recorded program. When a commercial break is initiated, there will be a second before the audio catches up with the video. No problems during any of the commercials, but when returning to the program the audio will be a second behind the video. Maybe a handshake issue?

To simplify this; I see video and lips moving, but no sound for a second or two.
Got the same issue here with my digital TV box. Also using the hdmi input of the Oppo and using split A/V. Sometimes when doing alot of FF I also got the video and audio out of sync. Changing the input on the Oppo and going back again to the correct input makes a new handshake and solves the problem.

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
Daffietje is offline  
post #17433 of 18272 Old 06-26-2014, 08:43 AM
Member
 
Daffietje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Thanks for the confirmation Bob

Well I'm currently playing via UPnP (from my NAS) the 5.1Ch version of "Morning Light Western Town by David Elias" which available as a free download from Oppo's web site... It's playing perfectly. Even the .dsf files 'meta-data' is correctly displayed.

Nice one Oppo
Will there be quality loss when I let the Oppo convert this file to PCM ? (instead of doing DSD to the receiver)

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
Daffietje is offline  
post #17434 of 18272 Old 06-26-2014, 08:50 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 864
^ Theoretically no, but you'll find plenty of folks who believe they hear an improvement keeping it as DSD all the way to the DACs.

Be advised that many AVRs that accept HDMI DSD simply convert that to LPCM themselves upon input, so there's no point in bothering.
--Bob
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #17435 of 18272 Old 06-26-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 1,702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffietje View Post
Will there be quality loss when I let the Oppo convert this file to PCM ? (instead of doing DSD to the receiver)
In all honesty, that's a very subjective question. By all accounts the Oppo does a fine job at transcoding DSD to PCM

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #17436 of 18272 Old 06-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Member
 
Manic_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: WI, USA
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
^ That's interesting. I wish I could take a poll of the number of individuals who are "pulling" media files from a DLNA media server using Oppo's network GUI interface as you are. There can't be that many doing this. The beauty of a DLNA media server is the ability to "push" files to a supported media player. I would estimate that a high majority of Oppo customers who are using Oppo's onscreen GUI interface are using SMB shares from a network drive in their homes or an attached usb drive.
That's the way I always do it. I prefer to use the Oppo remote.

Just tested 2 .DFF files and one worked/one didn't using Synology's Media Server through the Oppo interface and the same result using the DS Audio app. Same result with SMB. Not a file format I use personally (but I do have SACD discs) but interesting nonetheless. What program can add metadata to these files, BTW?
Manic_D is online now  
post #17437 of 18272 Old 06-26-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I guess I should buy myself an even smarter, more powerful smart phone and install the appropriate apps so I can push 'audio' files to my Oppo. But then again if I bought myself a new surround sound amplifier with 'network DSD streaming' support (such as the new Onkyo's) I would not need to switch on the Oppo either... Decisions, decisions...
AFAIK, none of the "new" surround amps, AVRs or preproduction will support streaming of multichannel tracks except, I am told, the newest Pioneers.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #17438 of 18272 Old 06-26-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 1,702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
AFAIK, none of the "new" surround amps, AVRs or preproduction will support streaming of multichannel tracks except, I am told, the newest Pioneers.
I think I'll wait until 'network DSD streaming' support becomes more popular on AVR's

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #17439 of 18272 Old 06-26-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffietje View Post
Changing the input on the Oppo and going back again to the correct input makes a new handshake and solves the problem.
I'm not clear on what you did; can you be more specific.
What input did you change and what is the "correct" input? Thanks. If anyone else knows what he did you can also chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffietje View Post
Changing the input on the Oppo and going back again to the correct input makes a new handshake and solves the problem.
Gave this a try. I think. With the remote, I changed my HDMI in - rear input to HDMI in - front, then switched back to the rear input. Nothing. In a further experiment, I plugged the HDMI cable into the front input for a few minutes and had the same problem. Returned the cable to the rear input with no change. Still a second or two off.

Last edited by Aliens; 06-26-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Aliens is offline  
post #17440 of 18272 Old 06-26-2014, 01:24 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 864
^ He means he used the Input button on the OPPO remote, then selected a different Input choice -- for example, Blu-ray Player -- then used it again to re-select the Input fed from the satellite TV box.

That forces a new HDMI handshake on the Input from the satellite TV box.
--Bob


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #17441 of 18272 Old 06-26-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 451
I played files from my hard drive with my 103 today. I can't remember how to set the 103 to play gapless. Any help would be appreciated . Is there a default so the Oppo's play gapless at all times?

Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #17442 of 18272 Old 06-26-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ He means he used the Input button on the OPPO remote, then selected a different Input choice -- for example, Blu-ray Player -- then used it again to re-select the Input fed from the satellite TV box.

That forces a new HDMI handshake on the Input from the satellite TV box.
--Bob
Yep, as you can see from my previous post, it didn't work. I'll give Oppo a call tomorrow to see if anything can be done. Other than that, I'm lovin' the 103 more than I thought I would. Of course it all may be psychological. One thing that is a certain; Q-U-I-E-T. Is it even on? Amazing!

Last edited by Aliens; 06-26-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Aliens is offline  
post #17443 of 18272 Old 06-26-2014, 02:50 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
I played files from my hard drive with my 103 today. I can't remember how to set the 103 to play gapless. Any help would be appreciated . Is there a default so the Oppo's play gapless at all times?

Bill
Highlight the track you want to start with and then, instead of pressing Play, press Option and select Gapless. If you've done it right "Gapless" will appear above the time line in the Now Playing music screen.

There is no ability to make Gapless the default. That might change, but right now Gapless is too limited in terms of supported file types. It also changes which playback navigation controls are available.
--Bob
Bill Mac and lanping09 like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #17444 of 18272 Old 06-26-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Highlight the track you want to start with and then, instead of pressing Play, press Option and select Gapless. If you've done it right "Gapless" will appear above the time line in the Now Playing music screen.

There is no ability to make Gapless the default. That might change, but right now Gapless is too limited in terms of supported file types. It also changes which playback navigation controls are available.
--Bob
Bob,

Thanks for your help .

Bill


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is offline  
post #17445 of 18272 Old 06-26-2014, 03:51 PM
Member
 
Daffietje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ He means he used the Input button on the OPPO remote, then selected a different Input choice -- for example, Blu-ray Player -- then used it again to re-select the Input fed from the satellite TV box.

That forces a new HDMI handshake on the Input from the satellite TV box.
--Bob
Yep, that is exactly what I meant.

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
Daffietje is offline  
post #17446 of 18272 Old 06-26-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
I hope this isn't another one of my stupidly simple solutions that is staring me in the face. I've been reading sync issues via the search feature but didn't see anything pertaining to this.

D* HR44 to 103 to split A/V.

When I FF (multiple consecutive pushes on the FF button) on my HR44, when I stop the sound is 1 second behind the video, or it hiccups (quick sound, quick no sound, quickly the sound is restored - about 2 seconds). Everything is in sync so I can't see using any sync settings to compensate for this. Its as if this is happening too fast for the 103 to process. If I FF one push at a time there are no sync issues. This audio delay will also occur when I'm not watching a recorded program. When a commercial break is initiated, there will be a second before the audio catches up with the video. No problems during any of the commercials, but when returning to the program the audio will be a second behind the video. Maybe a handshake issue?

To simplify this; I see video and lips moving, but no sound for a second or two.
It was. Because I was running D* through the BD player, I thought I should set the AVR to BD. Given the time to think things through, I changed the AVR to D* and that solved the problem.
Aliens is offline  
post #17447 of 18272 Old 06-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Senior Member
 
wadeh911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I think I'll wait until 'network DSD streaming' support becomes more popular on AVR's
Listening to these multichannel DSD files puts the band or orchestra inside your room. Our oppo's now handle both dsd64 formats with such players as jriver. Don't wait!

South Florida is my Theater
Listen to live music and recreate it at home.
wadeh911 is offline  
post #17448 of 18272 Old 06-26-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,456
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I think I'll wait until 'network DSD streaming' support becomes more popular on AVR's
I couldn't wait.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #17449 of 18272 Old 06-27-2014, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 1,702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I think I'll wait until 'network DSD streaming' support becomes more popular on AVR's
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post
Listening to these multichannel DSD files puts the band or orchestra inside your room. Our oppo's now handle both dsd64 formats with such players as jriver. Don't wait!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
I couldn't wait.
Yep, if you read back to my earlier posts you will discover I'm already playing multi-channel DSD files with my Oppo

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #17450 of 18272 Old 06-27-2014, 01:48 AM
Senior Member
 
AndrewFG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Yes, I can push .dsf and .dff files to the 10x players. Yes, setting SACD output to DSD on the Oppo player turns on the "DSD" led on the front panel display.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Cool! I'm surprised there hasn't been MORE discussion about this.
Dear Bob,

I refer to my earlier post asking you to ask Oppo to add the dff mime type to the player's UPnP GetProtocolInfo / SinkProtocolInfo return argument..

Obviously if the player is indeed also confirmed to be able to play dsf files then Oppo should also add that mime type (audio/x-dsf) to its SinkProtocolInfo list as well.

The reason why I mention this topic is that UPnP GetProtocolInfo / SinkProtocolInfo is the main way for a player to advertise to UPnP Control Points the list of all formats that it can play. If the player does not advertise its full list of supported formats then it's not surprising if Control Points don't use it, and so it's not surprising if there is no discussion about it on this board...
AndrewFG is offline  
post #17451 of 18272 Old 06-27-2014, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Posts: 1,702
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewFG View Post
Dear Bob,

I refer to my earlier post asking you to ask Oppo to add the dff mime type to the player's UPnP GetProtocolInfo / SinkProtocolInfo return argument..

Obviously if the player is indeed also confirmed to be able to play dsf files then Oppo should also add that mime type (audio/x-dsf) to its SinkProtocolInfo list as well.
I would be happy if my Windows 8.1 computer could be configured to support more 'push' file types (ie: .mkv, .mka, .flac, .dsf and .dff) to my Oppo.

The current 'Play To' facility is pretty good and easy to use but fairly limited, file type wise: -




Cheers
lanping09 likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SeeMoreDigital is offline  
post #17452 of 18272 Old 06-27-2014, 02:48 AM
Member
 
Daffietje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post
Listening to these multichannel DSD files puts the band or orchestra inside your room. Our oppo's now handle both dsd64 formats with such players as jriver. Don't wait!
Yeah, just listened to a sample in dsd64 yesterday. Sounded great ! Instruments sound really alive and sounds like you are listening to a live concert with a great sound system.

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
Daffietje is offline  
post #17453 of 18272 Old 06-27-2014, 03:11 AM
Senior Member
 
AndrewFG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
I would be happy if my Windows 8.1 computer could be configured to support more 'push' file types (ie: .mkv, .mka, .flac, .dsf and .dff) to my Oppo.

The current 'Play To' facility is pretty good and easy to use but fairly limited, file type wise: -
In theory (according to the UPnP standard specifications) a proper Control Point implementation should check the target renderer's SinkProtocolInfo list and offer to push to the renderer in a format that it can support. In other words the CP's push offer formats should adapt dynamically to the actual capabilities of the device concerned.

BUT, many current Control Points don't have such dynamic adaption of their push offer formats, but rather just have a preprogrammed fixed list. I don't have Windows 8.1 so I cannot tell you if its push capabilities are preprogrammed or if it is done properly. However, if it is done properly then if the request I made via Bob is implemented by Oppo then Windows would be able to extend its push offer accordingly.
AndrewFG is offline  
post #17454 of 18272 Old 06-28-2014, 05:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Viper187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does the 103/103D have dynamic range compression and does it work well? To me, the dynamic range on movies is just ridiculous at this point. I can sit here all day watching 24 and not even touch the remote, but pop in a movie like The Condemned and I can't hear the dialog at all unless I crank it way up and get blasted by the SFX (along with the rest of the house).
Viper187 is offline  
post #17455 of 18272 Old 06-28-2014, 06:13 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,510
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 864
^ It does have a Dynamic Range Control setting which, when enabled, use the meta-data included in Bitstream audio tracks. That gets applied when the track is decoded -- i.e., when using either Analog output or HDMI LPCM output. If you use HDMI Bitstream output then the decoding happens in your AVR and you need to look for a comparable setting there.

I prefer to leave the DRC off as some films have bogus data which results in anemic bass.

If you have volume balance problems, the first thing to do is check your speaker levels with a calibration disc and a Sound Pressure Level meter. You may very well have your Sub set too hot. Also check your Crossover. A Crossover much above 80Hz will shift male voices into the Sub and make them harder to hear.
--Bob
Bob Pariseau is offline  
post #17456 of 18272 Old 06-28-2014, 06:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Viper187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ It does have a Dynamic Range Control setting which, when enabled, use the meta-data included in Bitstream audio tracks. That gets applied when the track is decoded -- i.e., when using either Analog output or HDMI LPCM output. If you use HDMI Bitstream output then the decoding happens in your AVR and you need to look for a comparable setting there.

I prefer to leave the DRC off as some films have bogus data which results in anemic bass.

If you have volume balance problems, the first thing to do is check your speaker levels with a calibration disc and a Sound Pressure Level meter. You may very well have your Sub set too hot. Also check your Crossover. A Crossover much above 80Hz will shift male voices into the Sub and make them harder to hear.
--Bob
I don't even use a sub. I never cared for it. I just use 5 speakers.
Viper187 is offline  
post #17457 of 18272 Old 06-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Member
 
ceat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need help with the video processing on the bdp103', I watch sports, on fast acting scenes there is artifacts on the screen(small squares, distortion) I have a Sony Bravia xbr5' , how can I fix this, thank you
ceat is offline  
post #17458 of 18272 Old 06-28-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceat View Post
I need help with the video processing on the bdp103', I watch sports, on fast acting scenes there is artifacts on the screen(small squares, distortion) I have a Sony Bravia xbr5' , how can I fix this, thank you
I responded to you back on the 105 thread. The 103 and 105 have the same video processing.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
Mongo171 is offline  
post #17459 of 18272 Old 06-28-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper187 View Post
Does the 103/103D have dynamic range compression and does it work well? To me, the dynamic range on movies is just ridiculous at this point. I can sit here all day watching 24 and not even touch the remote, but pop in a movie like The Condemned and I can't hear the dialog at all unless I crank it way up and get blasted by the SFX (along with the rest of the house).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ It does have a Dynamic Range Control setting which, when enabled, use the meta-data included in Bitstream audio tracks. That gets applied when the track is decoded -- i.e., when using either Analog output or HDMI LPCM output. If you use HDMI Bitstream output then the decoding happens in your AVR and you need to look for a comparable setting there.

I prefer to leave the DRC off as some films have bogus data which results in anemic bass.

If you have volume balance problems, the first thing to do is check your speaker levels with a calibration disc and a Sound Pressure Level meter. You may very well have your Sub set too hot. Also check your Crossover. A Crossover much above 80Hz will shift male voices into the Sub and make them harder to hear.
--Bob
I know exactly what he's talking about. The dynamic range of some stuff is so wide these days.
If you want to listen to some movies at moderate levels, it can be almost impossible to hear quiet scenes and dialog.
(and I calibrate my system all the time while testing and tweaking so I know it's not out of sync. not right now anyway.)
I have tried the DRC in the player to tame that on occasion, but it doesn't seem strong enough to make much difference.
I also usually leave mine set to off for normal listening.
I am not currently running my system through an AVR, so I haven't checked that, but most of them do have it Viper,
and it may be more aggressive than the option in the player that is catered more toward meta data usage.
I don't have an issue with it though when I listen at high volume levels for the ultimate home theater experience.
Like Viper said, it is because some of the newer soundtracks are extremely dynamic. Almost too much so.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #17460 of 18272 Old 06-28-2014, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Viper187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
I know exactly what he's talking about. The dynamic range of some stuff is so wide these days.
If you want to listen to some movies at moderate levels, it can be almost impossible to hear quiet scenes and dialog.
(and I calibrate my system all the time while testing and tweaking so I know it's not out of sync. not right now anyway.)
I have tried the DRC in the player to tame that on occasion, but it doesn't seem strong enough to make much difference.
I also usually leave mine set to off for normal listening.
I am not currently running my system through an AVR, so I haven't checked that, but most of them do have it Viper,
and it may be more aggressive than the option in the player that is catered more toward meta data usage.
I don't have an issue with it though when I listen at high volume levels for the ultimate home theater experience.
Like Viper said, it is because some of the newer soundtracks are extremely dynamic. Almost too much so.
Ugh. I bought a cheap receiver when my last one died, because I'm pissed they're still pushing this ancient IR remote tech instead of giving us the option of bluetooth remotes like PS3. I guess I might need to consider a high end receiver of some kind next spring. I'd rather not spend on stuff like that until after xmas, since I have a lot to pick up this year, including an XB1 and new PS3. If I can stand this until November, I'll likely be playing Halo all winter anyway.

I'm also a little curious about the video processing on the 103/103D though. I tend to keep everything off in the TV because of input lag in gaming. I'd much rather have the player process the video, since that's the only way I watch anything anyway. I don't watch TV anymore, just discs, and I hate grainy/noisy looking ****. I just finished watching the 2 seasons of 24 on BD again. I can't believe how bad they look.
Viper187 is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off