Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 583 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #17461 of 17997 Old 06-28-2014, 05:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 847
^ If you've not already done so, you need to spend some quality time with a calibration disc such as Spears & Munsil v2, available from OPPO.

Leave the Picture Adjustment settings in the OPPO at their factory default (0) values. Yes it is a good thing to leave video "enhancement" processing disabled in your TV, but the *LEVEL* settings need to be adjusted IN THE TV. The OPPO puts out "reference" levels at the default settings, but it is pretty much a given that the factory default level settings in TVs are *NOT* correct for proper viewing. Instead they are intended to make the TV stand out under garish store lighting in a wall of TVs.

In addition, there are basic settings you need to make in your TV to get best results. That includes selecting the right "picture mode" and "color temperature". These are choices that need to be made BEFORE you calibrate with the disc. The Picture Mode will likely be labeled something like Movies or Cinema. Avoid any choice like Vibrant, or Dynamic, or Scorch Your Eyeballs. Color Temperature should be picked for 6500 degrees K. If the Manual doesn't tell you which Color Temperature choice does that, then look for a "Warm" choice.
--Bob
KC-Technerd, Mattyo1612 and ceat like this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17462 of 17997 Old 06-28-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 129
^One thing I forgot to mention about the audio... what I also sometimes do is bump up the volume of the center channel by about 5dB.
That can help with quiet dialog, but just don't forget to turn it back down for normal listening levels.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #17463 of 17997 Old 06-28-2014, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ If you've not already done so, you need to spend some quality time with a calibration disc such as Spears & Munsil v2, available from OPPO.

Leave the Picture Adjustment settings in the OPPO at their factory default (0) values. Yes it is a good thing to leave video "enhancement" processing disabled in your TV, but the *LEVEL* settings need to be adjusted IN THE TV. The OPPO puts out "reference" levels at the default settings, but it is pretty much a given that the factory default level settings in TVs are *NOT* correct for proper viewing. Instead they are intended to make the TV stand out under garish store lighting in a wall of TVs.

In addition, there are basic settings you need to make in your TV to get best results. That includes selecting the right "picture mode" and "color temperature". These are choices that need to be made BEFORE you calibrate with the disc. The Picture Mode will likely be labeled something like Movies or Cinema. Avoid any choice like Vibrant, or Dynamic, or Scorch Your Eyeballs. Color Temperature should be picked for 6500 degrees K. If the Manual doesn't tell you which Color Temperature choice does that, then look for a "Warm" choice.
--Bob
You're missing the point. I like "enhancement," but I want the player to do it. I don't care about "natural film look" and other garbage. I want to know if the player can apply DNR/enhancements like the TV can, preferably better, considering the cost of the player.
post #17464 of 17997 Old 06-28-2014, 06:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper187 View Post
You're missing the point. I like "enhancement," but I want the player to do it. I don't care about "natural film look" and other garbage. I want to know if the player can apply DNR/enhancements like the TV can, preferably better, considering the cost of the player.
Thanks for letting us know what your standards are. If you buy direct from OPPO you have thirty days, at the cost of return shipping, to find out if the player satisfies your needs.
wase4711 likes this.
post #17465 of 17997 Old 06-28-2014, 06:43 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yes, the QDEO in the original 103 is famed for its Noise Reduction. It should compare favorably to what your Display can do.

The only way to tell if you like what it does is to try it yourself of course.

And you still need to calibrate properly to be sure what's left -- i. e., the stuff you are trying to get rid of -- really is "noise" and not just an artifact of improper setup.
--Bob
Mattyo1612 likes this.

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 06-28-2014 at 06:47 PM.
post #17466 of 17997 Old 06-29-2014, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I don't even use a sub. I never cared for it. I just use 5 speakers.
That does not change the arguments from Bob : it sounds like you do not have your speakers calibrated like they should.
Buy some decibel meter and make sure every speaker has the exact same decibels from your listening position.

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone) / DUNE HD SMART H1
post #17467 of 17997 Old 06-29-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Like Viper said, it is because some of the newer soundtracks are extremely dynamic. Almost too much so.
Oh please, are you really looking for a loudness war like in the music industry?
For Christ sake, a movie can never be too dynamic.
It's probably because people nowadays never hear anything dynamic anymore that they are complaining about this in movies.

But in most cases it is just an incorrect setup of the audio system anyway.

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone) / DUNE HD SMART H1
post #17468 of 17997 Old 06-29-2014, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BDP-103 freezing/blank screen when switching hdmi

Hi all,

BDP-103EU, 10XEU-75-0515

SKY HD box connected to HDMI-BACK, tv connected to HDMI output.
Whilst watching SKY if I hit the HOME button on the OPPO remote about 1 in 5 times I'll get a blank screen and not the OPPO main menu's. Same thing happens via the INPUT button on OPPO remote.
Seems like the OPPO has frozen as can't do anything. Have to reset the OPPO power (via remote) and try again.

Suspect a firmware issue and have reported to OPPO direct, but would appreciate if anyone else has noticed this, and is there a workaround.

Tv is a Samsung 55" LED tv (6000 series).

Ian.
post #17469 of 17997 Old 06-29-2014, 01:09 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffietje View Post
Oh please, are you really looking for a loudness war like in the music industry?
It's probably because people nowadays never hear anything dynamic anymore that they are complaining about this in movies.

Well, TV and video games sound great. When it's only movies that have inaudible dialog, I call ********.
fmalczewski likes this.
post #17470 of 17997 Old 06-29-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

Me thinks thou duth protest too much. This has nothing to do with "loudness war".
I have heard lots of dynamics (from music and movies) over the years. I am a big movie fan and have had a true home theater setup for at least 10 years.
My audio system is also set up quite correctly.

As I did say previously, the issue is not present when listening at moderate or reference levels.
It is usually when listening at lower levels, like at night time when you don't want to wake the kids.
The purpose of the comments and conversation wasn't to suppress the industry standards of dynamics in movie soundtracks,
but more to try and intentionally suppress them on occasion for personal listening preference.
>"almost too much so"< probably wasn't the best way to put it, but I didn't think anyone would take it that so literally.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #17471 of 17997 Old 06-29-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Well, TV and video games sound great.
That doesn't prove anything. Movies have much more dynamics and are much more sensitive to incorrect setup of your audio setup.
But if you think that dialog is always too soft, why don't you just turn up the volume of your center speaker? Or do it the proper way and measure it with a decibel meter (and if after measuring it still sounds too soft for you just add 1 or 2 decibels)

post #17472 of 17997 Old 06-29-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanJohnston View Post
Hi all,

BDP-103EU, 10XEU-75-0515

SKY HD box connected to HDMI-BACK, tv connected to HDMI output.
Whilst watching SKY if I hit the HOME button on the OPPO remote about 1 in 5 times I'll get a blank screen and not the OPPO main menu's. Same thing happens via the INPUT button on OPPO remote.
Seems like the OPPO has frozen as can't do anything. Have to reset the OPPO power (via remote) and try again.

Suspect a firmware issue and have reported to OPPO direct, but would appreciate if anyone else has noticed this, and is there a workaround.

Tv is a Samsung 55" LED tv (6000 series).

Ian.
Try powering off the TV box before switching the Oppo to another input.
post #17473 of 17997 Old 06-29-2014, 02:27 PM
EdL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
It was. Because I was running D* through the BD player, I thought I should set the AVR to BD. Given the time to think things through, I changed the AVR to D* and that solved the problem.
I have the same problem, would you please clarify what you mean by change the AVR to D*. My set up is DirecTV via HDMI->103 HDMI in back -> Yamaha A2000-> scene 1 = bluray player

Thanks

EdL

Last edited by EdL; 06-29-2014 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Correction
post #17474 of 17997 Old 06-29-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 78
Has anyone managed to play audio/video via the front HDMI/MHL interface using a Samsung Note 3 Android phone and this device http://smile.amazon.com/Skiva-Samsun..._cd_al_qh_dp_t

Please PM me as I don't want to necessarily derail this thread.

Thanks,
David

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #17475 of 17997 Old 06-29-2014, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
That doesn't prove anything. Movies have much more dynamics and are much more sensitive to incorrect setup of your audio setup.
But if you think that dialog is always too soft, why don't you just turn up the volume of your center speaker? Or do it the proper way and measure it with a decibel meter (and if after measuring it still sounds too soft for you just add 1 or 2 decibels)
Maybe he was referring to a few soundtracks here and there where the dialog is mixed in too low, as opposed to your "always". Run into them myself from time to time. Have to crank up the volume a bit to hear the actors properly, and then the music/sound effects are just way too loud. In general, on most blu-rays and dvds dialog is rarely too soft, so I readily blame it on the particular disc, and am disinclined to fiddle with my otherwise just fine channel levels to deal with the occasional screwed up one.
post #17476 of 17997 Old 06-29-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdL View Post
I have the same problem, would you please clarify what you mean by change the AVR to D*. My set up is DirecTV via HDMI->103 HDMI in back -> Yamaha A2000-> scene 1 = bluray player

Thanks

EdL
Change your Yamaha input to DirecTV. You are viewing DirecTV through your BD input.

Last edited by Aliens; 07-19-2014 at 02:19 PM.
post #17477 of 17997 Old 06-30-2014, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I ran into an odd issue last night while watching the Netflix app on my BDP 103. It is running the latest firmware. When looking at a title in the Netflix catalog that has multiple episodes, if you choose to look at the full episode list, the only episode displayed in the list is episode 9 of the latest season. The description text is a massive jumble of characters that overlays the title screen for the episode.

If you look at a title with multiple seasons with episode, it does the same thing for each season. It only shows episode 9 of that season and the text is a jumbled mess.

I don't recall anyone else reporting this particular problem yet but I may have missed it. I noticed it with "The Clone Wars" and "Top Gear" last night. I'll have to see if any other titles in Netflix do the same though I'm going to guess that they all exhibit this problem.
post #17478 of 17997 Old 06-30-2014, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskang View Post
I ran into an odd issue last night while watching the Netflix app on my BDP 103. It is running the latest firmware. When looking at a title in the Netflix catalog that has multiple episodes, if you choose to look at the full episode list, the only episode displayed in the list is episode 9 of the latest season. The description text is a massive jumble of characters that overlays the title screen for the episode.

If you look at a title with multiple seasons with episode, it does the same thing for each season. It only shows episode 9 of that season and the text is a jumbled mess.

I don't recall anyone else reporting this particular problem yet but I may have missed it. I noticed it with "The Clone Wars" and "Top Gear" last night. I'll have to see if any other titles in Netflix do the same though I'm going to guess that they all exhibit this problem.
There's an assortment of weird issues that occur when the Netflix servers are misbehaving. Has nothing to do with the player. Usually the best way to resolve problems is to exit and re-load the Netflix app.
post #17479 of 17997 Old 06-30-2014, 08:02 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskang View Post

I just checked both of those titles, and the Episode Lists for all Seasons look fine for both of them today.

Fun with streaming -- you are stuck with whatever the servers choose to cough up when things go wacky.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17480 of 17997 Old 07-01-2014, 05:35 AM

Anyone here using the bluraychip mod?
I haven't updated my oppo 103 firmware in quite sometime since the last one overwrote my bluraychip and made it useless until bluraychip sent an updated firmware but nothing ever since.
post #17481 of 17997 Old 07-01-2014, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Anyone here using the bluraychip mod?
I haven't updated my oppo 103 firmware in quite sometime since the last one overwrote my bluraychip and made it useless until bluraychip sent an updated firmware but nothing ever since.
It sounds like you have the mod with firmware that can be updated. I have the regular mod and there have been no issues with Oppo firmware updates with that one. I don't know about your version.

post #17482 of 17997 Old 07-01-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
It sounds like you have the mod with firmware that can be updated. I have the regular mod and there have been no issues with Oppo firmware updates with that one. I don't know about your version.
Thanks for the reply.

I have the bluraychip pro kit

When the last Oppo 103 firmware stopped my multi region playback bluraychip was pretty good with getting a new firmware out to fix it. That was over a year ago and all emails I sent them since have not been responded to.
post #17483 of 17997 Old 07-01-2014, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
There's an assortment of weird issues that occur when the Netflix servers are misbehaving. Has nothing to do with the player. Usually the best way to resolve problems is to exit and re-load the Netflix app.
Quote:
I just checked both of those titles, and the Episode Lists for all Seasons look fine for both of them today.

Fun with streaming -- you are stuck with whatever the servers choose to cough up when things go wacky.
--Bob
Thanks for the response guys! Glad to know that it's an issue at the Netflix end.
post #17484 of 17997 Old 07-01-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I finally ordered a 103 this morning from Amazon. Was going to do receiver but with HDMI 2.0 and Atmos, other stuff, on the horizon decided to wait on a receiver. Updated bluray player/SACD instead.

Going from Panasonic 310 dual hdmi out for movies/on-line services and a Sony BDP370 for SACD/DVD playback to just the 103.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #17485 of 17997 Old 07-01-2014, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
I got some very odd behavior out of my BDP-103 tonight. I had started playing a Blu-ray disc and everything seemed normal. I switched to watching TV, but left the BD playing. When I switched inputs back to the Oppo, I could get no audio. I do use a Split A/V setup. The Oppo info screen showed no audio on both HDMI outputs. If I shut down my AVR, I could get LPCM audio on HDMI 1. If I switched my TV to show video from the AVR and the Oppo's HDMI 2, I got no video or audio. All other video from all other sources on the AVR was normal. I tried resetting factory defaults, and unplugging the 103, as well as reseating all the HDMI plugs in the chain. No change. The resolution of the 103's menu screens was also obviously not 1080, although my TV showed it was receiving a 1080p signal. I had the 103's output resolution set to Auto, so I changed it to 1080p, which did correct the resolution of the menu screens, only as long as 1080p was selected. Also no internet connection was indicated, and Wireless Setting was greyed out. I finally gave up on it for a while, and shut the 103 down for about 30 minutes. When I turned it back on, everything had returned to normal.
It did it again. I'm not sure what it is that is triggering this, but it seems to be when I've been using the 103 for a considerable amount of time having my AVR selected to the something other than the 103's HDMI 2 output (which apparently leaves that HDMI input inactive and thus deactivates the 103's Split A/V mode) and then selecting the AVR to the 103's HDMI 2 output. However it isn't doing this every time that I switch the AVR to that input. Turning the 103 off for several minutes seems to be the fix, as that cleared it again.
post #17486 of 17997 Old 07-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ If it happens again try changing the OPPO's output Resolution to 1080i and back to 1080p to force a new handshake on both HDMI outputs.

Also check what the AVR says is coming in as input (i.e., does it see Video on that input).

Also try shifting the AVR to a different input and back.

Most likely the AVR has not properly triggered the new handshake. If the AVR has a setting for faster HDMI switching, try turning that OFF.
--Bob
post #17487 of 17997 Old 07-02-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 103
Quote:
^ If it happens again try changing the OPPO's output Resolution to 1080i and back to 1080p to force a new handshake on both HDMI outputs.

Also check what the AVR says is coming in as input (i.e., does it see Video on that input).

Also try shifting the AVR to a different input and back.

Most likely the AVR has not properly triggered the new handshake. If the AVR has a setting for faster HDMI switching, try turning that OFF.
--Bob
I will take a look at what both the TV and AVR show for video input if and when this happens again. I have tried shifting the AVR to a different input and back several times which does not clear the issue. I have switched between Auto and 1080p when this happens, which appears to cause a handshake. I have also turned the 103 off and back on which I'm sure forces a new handshake on both HDMI outputs, and that also does not correct the situation unless the 103 remains off for several minutes. The first time this occurred, I even unplugged the 103 and held the power button for 30 seconds before plugging it back in and starting it back up, and even that did not clear the issue. Turning it off for about 30 minutes cleared the issue that time, and powering off for about 5-10 minutes cleared it this time. This has only occurred twice since I've owned the unit, the first being just after the update to BDP10X-75-0515, so I have to wonder if this could be the result of a bug in the current firmware. It seems almost as if it is getting stuck, or somehow isn't getting switched correctly into Split A/V mode. Of course the other oddity is how it effects the wi-fi connection and grays out that option in the menu when this situation occurs.
post #17488 of 17997 Old 07-02-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Arrived today, one day, thanks Amazon.

All hooked up and basic configuration done, FW update, etc.

Now to tackle programming my Harmony One.....

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #17489 of 17997 Old 07-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
New and first time Oppo owner here, and of course I have a few questions. The main reason for the purchase was the desire to try SACD. However, the 103 will also be my primary movie device in my home theater.

For starters, I just have two questions. One, I see there is a settings checklist but is there a list of "recommended" settings for typical set-ups ? Second, are most people using just a single HDMI or both ? Not sure if there is any benefit to using both HDMI outputs, beyond not having a 3D compatible receiver ? I was thinking there could be drawbacks too, like lip sync issues.

Sean
post #17490 of 17997 Old 07-02-2014, 06:05 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
New and first time Oppo owner here, and of course I have a few questions. The main reason for the purchase was the desire to try SACD. However, the 103 will also be my primary movie device in my home theater.

For starters, I just have two questions. One, I see there is a settings checklist but is there a list of "recommended" settings for typical set-ups ? Second, are most people using just a single HDMI or both ? Not sure if there is any benefit to using both HDMI outputs, beyond not having a 3D compatible receiver ? I was thinking there could be drawbacks too, like lip sync issues.
1. The manual has a nice section on audio setups.

2. Single HDMI.

-Bill
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page