Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 584 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #17491 of 18323 Old 07-02-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hiroshima SACD sounds like I'm at the concert.

I'm hardly the one to ask at this point but I use dual HDMI out. Have 3D display but HDMI 1.3 receiver. The ONE movie I've watched has no lip synch issues.

Pleasantly surprised that while not a pretty interface I was able to play some MKV's off my NAS through the 103 just fine. Loaded them quickly too. Passed through the DTS MA HD sound track too.

Edit: Wow, switched SACD out from DSD to PCM. Letting the 103 do the SACD heavy lifting. My Denon 3808ci DSD in has been quite satisfactory. It is no slouch. However it is like night and day. Denon DSD doing the work almost anemic once I listened to PCM. Where did all that bass and fullness come from? Digital is supposed to be digital yes?

My goodness.......

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 07-02-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17492 of 18323 Old 07-02-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps a newbie question. Did not find answer on first search of this thread. Heading to Google next.

Is there a remote command to launch Pandora directly like Netflix and Vudu?

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #17493 of 18323 Old 07-02-2014, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

Edit: Wow, switched SACD out from DSD to PCM. Letting the 103 do the SACD heavy lifting. My Denon 3808ci DSD in has been quite satisfactory. It is no slouch. However it is like night and day. Denon DSD doing the work almost anemic once I listened to PCM. Where did all that bass and fullness come from? Digital is supposed to be digital yes?

My goodness.......
I may need to experiment myself. I was planning to simply use PCM out from HDMI1 to my Marantz pre-amp for SACD playback, but perhaps there is some benefit to hooking up a second HDMI cable and outputting DSD to my Marantz from HDMI2. I agree though that I would not expect to be able to hear a difference.

If using just HDMI1, I thought there would be a setting to turn HDMI2 output OFF. Does the player do this automatically if it senses no signal/connection on HDMI2 ?

Sean
post #17494 of 18323 Old 07-02-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:

My goodness.......
Your AVR is treating LPCM differently from DSD bitstream input. Why that is is a question for the Denon forum. But the main difference will be levels. A fairly small change in levels can make a pretty big difference in the sound. Again, whether the AVR is applying different processing to a DSD input is an open question. But all things being equal, its pretty unlikely you can hear a difference between the two.
post #17495 of 18323 Old 07-02-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
But all things being equal, its pretty unlikely you can hear a difference between the two.

I agree and that is why I was so surprised. Even had my wife listen and do blind swap back and forth. PCM clearly superior fully deeper bass.

post #17496 of 18323 Old 07-02-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

"turn HDMI2 output OFF"

I don't recall a menu option for OFF.

post #17497 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
I may need to experiment myself. I was planning to simply use PCM out from HDMI1 to my Marantz pre-amp for SACD playback, but perhaps there is some benefit to hooking up a second HDMI cable and outputting DSD to my Marantz from HDMI2. I agree though that I would not expect to be able to hear a difference.

If using just HDMI1, I thought there would be a setting to turn HDMI2 output OFF. Does the player do this automatically if it senses no signal/connection on HDMI2 ?
Just don't have a connection to HDMI 2. Then, HDMI 2 doesn't have any output on it.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #17498 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 04:59 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffietje View Post
Oh please, are you really looking for a loudness war like in the music industry?
For Christ sake, a movie can never be too dynamic.
It's probably because people nowadays never hear anything dynamic anymore that they are complaining about this in movies.

But in most cases it is just an incorrect setup of the audio system anyway.
Of COURSE a movie can be too dynamic. Shoddy sound mixing -- the "louder is better" school -- is just as prevalent today as always, perhaps more so. I think of it as the audible equivalent of shoddy color grading -- the "orange aliens from planet teal" school.

That said, you are correct that folks should look to their speaker configuration and room treatments before assuming all the problems are in the sound mix.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17499 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 05:05 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Hiroshima SACD sounds like I'm at the concert.

I'm hardly the one to ask at this point but I use dual HDMI out. Have 3D display but HDMI 1.3 receiver. The ONE movie I've watched has no lip synch issues.

Pleasantly surprised that while not a pretty interface I was able to play some MKV's off my NAS through the 103 just fine. Loaded them quickly too. Passed through the DTS MA HD sound track too.

My goodness.......
When you use DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion, whether that's being done in the OPPO (SACD Output = DSD, via the Analog outs) or being done in your AVR -- you must forego ALL AUDIO PROCESSING. Audio processing is done digitally with LPCM audio, and if you send DSD to the DACs that can't happen.

So, for example, if you have Crossover processing or Room Correction active in your Denon, when you configure the Denon to do DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion your bypass all that. When you have the OPPO send LPCM instead, then any such processing remains in place in the Denon.
--Bob

post #17500 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 05:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Perhaps a newbie question. Did not find answer on first search of this thread. Heading to Google next.

Is there a remote command to launch Pandora directly like Netflix and Vudu?
From the remote control, no. Using the RS-232 serial control interface, yes. The specs for the serial control interface (typically used with a custom theater control system) are available on OPPO's support page for the player.
--Bob

post #17501 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 05:10 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
. . . .

If only the HDMI 1 output is cabled, or if the device at the other end of the HDMI 2 cable has shut down that input, then the HDMI 2 output of the OPPO is not generated. The SPLIT A/V vs. DUAL DISPLAY choice in Setup is also ignored if only one HDMI output is "live".
--Bob

post #17502 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

DSD-PCM out difference....

Well my Denon has done its internal room correction so I think I'd rather leave that in place. At least that explains why one sounds different and to me better.

Pandora remote....

If there is a discrete code Logitech can add it. But I'm thinking there is no actual code if it is serial. Is that correct? While hardly a high priority could a code be added to the FW to go directly to Pandora if the unit can respond to the serial command?

post #17503 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 07:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ The serial port commands, by design, cover more ground than the normal, Infrared Remote commands. It is unlikely it will be added to the IR command set. It might be possible to do it with the internet (IP) command set.
--Bob

post #17504 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Shoddy sound mixing -- the "louder is better" school -- is just as prevalent today as always, perhaps more so. I think of it as the audible equivalent of shoddy color grading -- the "orange aliens from planet teal" school.
Quite possibly the most hysterically erudite synopsis of the modern world's lack of appreciation for deep value that I've ever read.

You truly are my hero, Bob!
post #17505 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

" It might be possible to do it with the internet (IP) command set."

I'm listening....

Just tried some of the App based stuff. So much to learn it seems. Probably could stream Pandora directly off iPhone. But I'd rather use the OPPO by itself. Would be using my home network and not phone line time but prefer one stop shopping. I can create an activity, read macro, that goes through each step and gets to Pandora. That can be an interesting journey however.

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 07-03-2014 at 10:31 AM.
post #17506 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

While playing a SACD and hitting the Home button on the remote the 103 locked up. Showed the OPPO opening screen and went no further. Had to power off and back on to get it to respond to remote commands.

Edit: Tried it again after power off reboot. Works fine now.

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 07-03-2014 at 10:38 AM.
post #17507 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
If only the HDMI 1 output is cabled, or if the device at the other end of the HDMI 2 cable has shut down that input, then the HDMI 2 output of the OPPO is not generated. The SPLIT A/V vs. DUAL DISPLAY choice in Setup is also ignored if only one HDMI output is "live".
Thanks Bob... I was hoping it worked that way. I would have been surprised if Oppo had not built in a shut off feature, though I would still prefer to turn off HDMI2 in the settings menu if I knew I would not be using it.

Sean
post #17508 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oppo 103 question

Forgive my ignorant question, but I am fairly green with electronics. I just bought an oppo 103 to go with a new samsung 7150. What should I set the upscale settings at for this tv.....I assume only 1080i as the tv is not a 4k, so I assume trying to upscale to that is pointless?

Any help or tips would be great?
post #17509 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 01:32 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonic1414 View Post
Forgive my ignorant question, but I am fairly green with electronics. I just bought an oppo 103 to go with a new samsung 7150. What should I set the upscale settings at for this tv.....I assume only 1080i as the tv is not a 4k, so I assume trying to upscale to that is pointless?

Any help or tips would be great?
Set the player to 1080p.

For other recommendations, see the FAQ: What are the recommended settings for the OPPO BDP-103?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #17510 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Watching first 3D movie, Despicable Me 2. Sure had some trouble negotiating the first parts of the disk that were 2D. Blanked out the display a couple of times. Seemed to be some kind of handshake issue.

Once to the Main Menu and playing the 3D movie everything seemed fine. But the blanking back and forth is hardly pleasing to watch.

Have used Sony and Panasonic 3D bluray players in past. None of them did that blanking in and out with the beginning of this 3D bluray.

What do I need to check in terms of settings, etc.?

Edit: I am connected directly to my 3D display out HDMI1. When I set the OPPO to "Forced" the symptom goes away. Which makes sense because then the auto setting isn't checking back and forth between the OPPO and my display, Mitsubishi 65738, and its 3D capability.

However and as noted my Sony and Panasonic bluray players negotiate the 3D connection fine and they are both set to Auto as well.

I just tried Despicable Me 1 and same symptom. OPPO set to "AUTO" for 3D and the beginning of the disk screens flash in and out so fast I can't select 3D. With the OPPO set to "AUTO", screens flashing, if I catch the "Select 3D" and actually select 3D from that moment on everything is fine.

OPPO set to "Forced" and the symptom does not present itself.

While its great to have the setting so the 3D works, AUTO should not act in this fashion. Not when my 100 dollar Sony gets this thing right.

How can I help?

TV set to AUTO as well other wise I'd get 3D on it regardless of source.

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 07-03-2014 at 07:15 PM.
post #17511 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am about ready to start installing the components and wiring up my new home theater and have a question. First - the relevant components:
  1. OPPO 103 BD
  2. Lumagen Radiance 2021 Video Processor
  3. Denon 4520ci AVR
  4. JVC RS57 Projector

The OPPO of course has the spit av mode where you can run one HDMI out to the projector and the other to the AVR, but I will have the Lumagen in the chain for video processing, darbee, etc. and was wondering about any recommendations (and reasons for the recommendation) as how to wire this thing up. The Lumagen has several HDMI inputs (others might connect to DirecTV box, media player, etc.) and also does a split AV type of output. So what would be best?

OPPO HDMI video (whichever one is best, have to look at manual again) will go to Lumagen

1. OPPO single connection to Lumagen with Lumagen splitting video to projector and audio to AVR
2. OPPO HDMI video to Lumagen and other OPPO HDMI out to AVR
3. Combination - can send audio from both OPPO audio out and Lumagen audio out to Denon on separate inputs
4. Something else?

Thanks in advance for any input
post #17512 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Now I've lost audio on HDMI2 with 3D set to "Forced". I used the Mute button, had the speaker with the red line across it. Hit it again to turn speaker back on and I have no audio on HDMI2.

Set 3D to off, I have audio.

Edit:

Had to set HDMI2 to Blank, I think that is the setting, to get audio back for 3d.

However OPPO 3D to "Forced" is not the solution. Just tried Avatar 3D. Same symptom when on forced. It is clearly something between the display and the player in terms of what the OPPO thinks it can send via 3D.

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 07-03-2014 at 08:03 PM.
post #17513 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Now I've lost audio on HDMI2 with 3D set to "Forced". I used the Mute button, had the speaker with the red line across it. Hit it again to turn speaker back on and I have no audio on HDMI2.

Set 3D to off, I have audio.

Edit:

Had to set HDMI2 to Blank, I think that is the setting, to get audio back for 3d.

However OPPO 3D to "Forced" is not the solution. Just tried Avatar 3D. Same symptom when on forced. It is clearly something between the display and the player in terms of what the OPPO thinks it can send via 3D.
Just a WAG, but how old are your HDMI cables? Perhaps they don't have enough bandwidth for 3D in your new configuration. You would need high-speed HDMI cables if you don't have them now, although if you are using the Oppo-supplied cable, at least that one would suffice. Are your other ones high speed?
post #17514 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 132
@ jsmiddleton4

It sounds like you may be expecting too much. Your old players did not have near the capabilities that the 103 has,
so they had less things to process and an easier time of ones and zeros getting to where they need to go in a timely fashion.
Handshaking between info screens and such before a movie is perfectly normal, and in order to not trip up the player you really shouldn't go pressing all kinds
of buttons and commands before the player has a chance to process what it's being given.
It sounds like you may be trying to trip up the player and then being successful at it when there is no need.
If a setting of "forced" works for you, then use that setting, that is what it is for.
The player offers "auto" and "forced" so that you have the choice in choosing which is best for your setup, so need need to complain about one actually working.

The studios are known for throwing in all kinds of different coding and such, especially for copy protection and those things will vary greatly from disc to disc.
So, you will see these handshakes and sometimes even hanging and freezing and that really is not always the fault of the player,
because again, the coding of the discs themselves will change from title to title and the player was not engineered for that new encoding.
(it did not exist when the player and software were released to public)
Sometimes the problems are so bad that Oppo may actually use their own time and money to try and fix problems with certain discs via a firmware update, but that is rare. Also as mentioned by the post before me, check to make sure your cables are up to snuff as sometimes that can also be an issue.
If the feature film on the disc actually plays from beginning to end without problems, then I'd consider that a win.
If you are indeed having problems during the movie feature then you may want to send Oppo support an email describing the problem.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #17515 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

" It sounds like you may be expecting too much"

Huh? How is expecting a 500 bluray player to perform in a similar fashion as a 100 dollar player expecting too much? I'm not pressing any buttons beyond loading the disk. It sits there and cycles/flashes back and forth until I can make a choice. I'm not trying to trip up the player. I'm trying to enjoy a 3D movie and show my wife why I spent 500 dollars.

I'm using the HDMI cable that came with the 103. I did not reuse old cable.

The beginning of Lord of The Rings Hobbit and Desolation of Smaug did not do the screen flashing BUT they do not cycle back and forth between 2D and 3D waiting for the use to decide which one to use.

That is the common variable so far on the previous 3D movies. They have an introduction screen that needs the user to decide and those screens are in 2D.

Hobbit and Desolation of Smaug are 3D from the get go.

If I'm expecting too much than 500 is too high.

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 07-03-2014 at 08:32 PM.
post #17516 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 132
LOL, you are trying to find fault where it may not necessarily be the fault of the player.
You are even saying, the handshaking flashes (which are usually considered normal) don't happen on all discs. So that tells you it's the coding of the discs.
Plus when those screens come and go, they are most likely switching between 2D, 3D, and also different resolutions.
The player must then initiate a new handshake whenever those things happen.
The flashing you are seeing is the result of those handshakes.
It may very well be possible that your old player was so slow at showing what is being processed, that the handshakes don't show on screen as easily.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #17517 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

"So that tells you it's the coding of the discs."

Again huh?

The disks play fine on 3 other bluray players. But its the disks?

I've filed a report with OPPO on-line tech support. We'll see what they say. If they attempt to blame the disks the 103 heads back to Amazon pronto.
|
It is nice to know that my Panasonic BDT500 is slow however.

post #17518 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
^ If it happens again try changing the OPPO's output Resolution to 1080i and back to 1080p to force a new handshake on both HDMI outputs.

Also check what the AVR says is coming in as input (i.e., does it see Video on that input).

Also try shifting the AVR to a different input and back.

Most likely the AVR has not properly triggered the new handshake. If the AVR has a setting for faster HDMI switching, try turning that OFF.
--Bob
It has happened now a third time, and I think I now know what triggers the event. Apparently switching inputs on my TV to the Oppo (which triggers a handshake for HDMI 1) followed by switching my AVR to the Oppo (triggering a handshake for HDMI 2) before the HDMI 1 handshake is complete is the cause. My TV indicates 1080p (but not 1080p/24) video input from the Oppo, and any playback from a Blu-ray disc does appear to be 1080p (as well as any overlaid info from the Oppo), but the Oppo's menu screens appear to be a considerably lower resolution as exhibited by the words Berliner Philharmoniker in the yellow icon being nearly unreadable. My AVR indicates 1080/24p RGB Full/24 bit from HDMI 2 when playing a Blu-ray disc, and PCM audio (rather than the DTS-HD MA 5.1 on the Blu-ray disc). The 103 indicates "No Audio" on HDMI 2 and no audio is output on the AVR. When the 103's home screen is displayed, the AVR indicates 480/60p RGB Full/24 bit from the 103's HDMI 2. The wireless connection does not appear to be affected this time, and the Wireless settings are not grayed out.

Switching to 1080i results in the AVR showing 1080/60i RGB Full / 24 bit from HDMI 2 while on menu screen. Switching to 1080p results in the AVR showing 1080/60p RGB Full / 24 bit from HDMI 2 while on menu screen. Neither of these settings (nor switching either way between them) restores audio or clears the issue. Switching through all other inputs on the AVR and then back to the 103's HMDI 2 does not restore audio or clear the issue.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 07-03-2014 at 09:19 PM.
post #17519 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
"So that tells you it's the coding of the discs."

Again huh?

The disks play fine on 3 other bluray players. But its the disks?

I've filed a report with OPPO on-line tech support. We'll see what they say. If they attempt to blame the disks the 103 heads back to Amazon pronto.
|
It is nice to know that my Panasonic BDT500 is slow however.
My first guess is that your Mitsubishi 65738 might be having trouble with the output from the Oppo. Yes, the problem could be in the Oppo, but don't overlook any of the components in the chain. Do you have any other TV with 3D capability you could test the Oppo on?

JR
post #17520 of 18323 Old 07-03-2014, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes. And I tested the OPPO with my other 3D display and reconnected my other 3D bluray players to the Mit.

The symptom is limited to the OPPO and of the disk I tested so far the three I noted are problematic. My family is trying to enjoy the evening and at the moment watching Star Trek Into the Darkness 2D.

I have several other 3D's I can test later.

The OPPO is having some kind of problem with the type of disk that is formatted/coded like the Despicable Me 3D ones are. Other players do not.

My hope is OPPO will address it.

The idea that my expectation is too high or that I was trying to trip up the player is offensive.

Edit: And I'm thinking using dual HDMI out. I'd bet the problem doesn't show up if using only one HDMI output.

Last edited by jsmiddleton4; 07-03-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page