gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post
I had no problem playing the Despicable Me 3D disc in my BDP-93 (yes I know this is the 103 thread), so the issue may be with your particular unit.
It might make sense to edit your post to quote the person the above is intended for, as it certainly isn't me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17552 of 17984 Old 07-04-2014, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
@gsr said

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
It might make sense to edit your post to quote the person the above is intended for, as it certainly isn't me.
Sorry that I missed that the quoting process includes the text but not the name of the person who posted it. However, you are making the unwarranted assumption that a cited quote refers to you when you didn't post what was cited.
post #17553 of 17984 Old 07-04-2014, 05:05 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
@gsr said
Sorry that I missed that the quoting process includes the text but not the name of the person who posted it. However, you are making the unwarranted assumption that a cited quote refers to you when you didn't post what was cited.
Huh? The post you quoted WAS my post and attributed to me, but had nothing to do with the comments you made.
post #17554 of 17984 Old 07-04-2014, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Quote:
Huh? The post you quoted WAS my post and attributed to me, but had nothing to do with the comments you made.
OK, I apparently should have used a multi-quote instead of a regular quote. It appears that jsmiddleton4 may have been the one who raised the Despicable Me 3D point, though that discussion has been going on for a while and I might have missed that someone else first mentioned it. It was not my intent in any way to attribute to you anything you did not say, sorry if you got upset as a result.
post #17555 of 17984 Old 07-04-2014, 05:40 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
It was not my intent in any way to attribute to you anything you did not say, sorry if you got upset as a result.
I'm not upset and you didn't attribute me to anything I didn't write. I was just trying to point out that your reply didn't seem at all relevant to what I wrote. I give up...
htwaits likes this.
post #17556 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
question for oppo 103/103D owners

Hello,
I own a darbee darblet and will be purchasing an oppo this week.
My question is: should I just buy a 103 since I already own a darbee or should I get a 103D and sell the darbee?
I am aware that the chipset is different in the 103 and the 103D.
Is one model's processing performance and PQ different because of the different chipsets used?
Thanks!
post #17557 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedplay View Post
Is one model's processing performance and PQ different because of the different chipsets used?
Thanks!
Different, yes. Depends on what you mainly view. If its BD discs, the difference is moot.
post #17558 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I am assuming from what I got from reading the 1st post that the native MCH DSD playback from attached USB storage has not been undone by any subsequent firmware?

Is attached USB storage still the only way for the 103 to bitstream MCH DSD to my Onk 5508 over HDMI? Or has that been enabled/introduced with some other network scheme?

Thanks,
Jeff
post #17559 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
I am assuming from what I got from reading the 1st post that the native MCH DSD playback from attached USB storage has not been undone by any subsequent firmware?

Is attached USB storage still the only way for the 103 to bitstream MCH DSD to my Onk 5508 over HDMI? Or has that been enabled/introduced with some other network scheme?

Thanks,
Jeff

You can play back DSD audio via attached usb, or via network (DLNA or SMB shares). The Oppo only sends out a DSD stream via its hdmi 2 output if the proper 103 settings (SACD Output) are selected and the device on the other end of the hdmi cable can receive DSD streams.

Last edited by DanF8500; 07-07-2014 at 12:30 PM.
post #17560 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post
Thr jriver wiki has a thread on pushing DFF and DSF and they seem to think this is current limitation of the 105 as jriver handles both DSD formats.
Pardon me for jumping in here, but a recent demo by a local fellow AVS'er showed that jriver does "handle" DSD, but it does so by converting it ... IN SOFTWARE ... to PCM. Personally, I do not consider that "handling" it.

Jeff
post #17561 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
You can play back DSD audio via attached usb, or via network (DLNA or SMB shares). The Oppo only sends out a DSD stream via its hdmi 2 output if the proper 103 settings (SACD Output) are selected and the device on the other end of the hdmi cable can receive DSD streams.
Thanks Dan. I stress MCH (multichannel) DSD as that has *always* been the catch for networked connections.

Jeff
post #17562 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Just saw this ... so I would need to connect HDMI 1 for BDs, DVD and DVD-A, and HDMI 2 for DSD?

Thanks,
Jeff
post #17563 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Just saw this ... so I would need to connect HDMI 1 for BDs, DVD and DVD-A, and HDMI 2 for DSD?

Thanks,
Jeff
My Oppo (not D version) is permanently connected to my Onkyo amplifier via HDMI 2. It passes all 'multi-channel' bit-stream audio formats on any disc format just fine

EDIT: It's also pretty good at playing multi-channel FLAC and PCM.wav files via SMB and UPnP too

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 07-07-2014 at 12:52 PM.
post #17564 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
My Oppo (not D version) is permanently connected to my Onkyo amplifier via HDMI 2. It passes all 'multi-channel' bit-stream audio formats on any disc format just fine
So there is NO downside to simply using HDMI 2 for everything? I do not use the player's vid processing.

Jeff
post #17565 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Pardon me for jumping in here, but a recent demo by a local fellow AVS'er showed that jriver does "handle" DSD, but it does so by converting it ... IN SOFTWARE ... to PCM. Personally, I do not consider that "handling" it.

Jeff

Jeff, unless I'm mistaken, I believe JRiver can "push" DSD audio(.dsf/.dff) "as is" to the Oppo players.....no transcoding is necessary....and there is no container reformatting (DoPE) taking place either. The DLNA server settings in JRiver show that the "original" DSD file is pushed to the Oppo 10x players. In fact, I know it is because the only way the Oppo can illuminate its front panel SACD indicator is if it is receiving a DSD audio stream (or playing an SACD disc), and I see the indicator illuminated when pushing DSD audio to it.

Last edited by DanF8500; 07-07-2014 at 01:00 PM.
post #17566 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
So there is NO downside to simply using HDMI 2 for everything? I do not use the player's vid processing.

Jeff
Not that I've noticed... My Oppo is set to 'Source Direct' and I don't have any of its fancy video post-processing options enabled...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #17567 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Jeff, unless I'm mistaken, I believe JRiver can "push" DSD audio(.dsf/.dff) "as is" to the Oppo players.....no transcoding is necessary....and there is no container reformatting (DoPE) taking place either. The DLNA server settings in JRiver show that the "original" DSD file is pushed to the Oppo 10x players. In fact, I know it is because the only way the Oppo can illuminate its front panel SACD indicator is if it is receiving a DSD audio stream (or playing an SACD disc), and I see the indicator illuminated when pushing DSD audio to it.
Now that I think about it, it was probably that the custom-PC/media server could not output MCH DSD over HDMI. The pre/pro clearly showed PCM and not DSD. This is in spite of the setting you mention that jriver is supposedly outputting DSD.

Do you have such a server that will output DSD over HDMI?

Thinking about it further, my research into jriver showed that it would output 2-ch DSD but only over whatever-dem-fancy-cables-are connections ... to an external DAC. That was very early this year or maybe late least year that I dug into this.

I was never able to find a "sound card" that could output MCH DSD over HDMI.

Jeff

edit: MCH DSD over HDMI, the only way our gear can received DSD, is not an option with JRiver. So it is the 103 Oppo and attached USB storage.

Last edited by pepar; 07-07-2014 at 01:46 PM.
post #17568 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Not that I've noticed... My Oppo is set to 'Source Direct' and I don't have any of its fancy video post-processing options enabled...
Thanks, then that is one less detail I need to worry about.

thanks everyone for putting up with my single-minded purpose!

Jeff

Last edited by pepar; 07-07-2014 at 01:47 PM.
post #17569 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:

Jeff
Was he using JRiver as a DLNA server or as a media player?

Properly configured when functioning as a DLNA server, it will do no such thing. It will serve up the file exactly as-is and all of the unpackaging, decoding, and everything else will be done at the endpoint - the 103 in this case.

Now - give that there are few PCs that can output DSD from their SOUND (TosLink, HDMI, etc. - but not network) interfaces, it would not surprise me at all if JRMC, when being used as a native media player in an HTPC, would convert DSD to PCM before output.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #17570 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
Probably the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams
Properly configured when functioning as a DLNA server, it will do no such thing. It will serve up the file exactly as-is and all of the unpackaging, decoding, and everything else will be done at the endpoint - the 103 in this case.
For multi-channel DSD? The Oppo accepts mch DSD over its ethernet connection when connected to a DLNA server?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams
Now - give that there are few PCs that can output DSD from their SOUND (TosLink, HDMI, etc. - but not network) interfaces, it would not surprise me at all if JRMC, when being used as a native media player in an HTPC, would convert DSD to PCM before output.
Well, exactly NO PCs output mch DSD over TosLink or HDMI.
post #17571 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For multi-channel DSD? The Oppo accepts mch DSD over its ethernet connection when connected to a DLNA server?

I thought I told you it did in my first reply to you? I guess I wasn't specific about multi-ch vs 2-ch dsd, but the 103 is capable of receiving .dsf/.dff file formats (stereo and multi-ch) via the ethernet (DLNA or SMB).

Last edited by DanF8500; 07-07-2014 at 03:28 PM.
post #17572 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post

JRMC will output what you tell it to output and whatever the attached cables/devices can handle. I can send DSD or PCM, stereo or multichannel, from it via USB or HDMI depending on what my needs are. Coax and toslink are much more limited.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #17573 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
JRMC will output what you tell it to output and whatever the attached cables/devices can handle. I can send DSD or PCM, stereo or multichannel, from it via USB or HDMI depending on what my needs are. Coax and toslink are much more limited.
Thanks, Kal. On what hardware are you running JRiver?
post #17574 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

haha...Jeff, I've been on the 10x forums for the past year...I've lived through each and every firmware upgrade....I know what it can and cannot do....I will say there's been much more discussion about what you're inquiring in the 105 forum, where I hang out more. There is no online document/manual to get answers some times....I guess you'll have to test it out yourself if you don't believe me....or get more responses from other users who have successfully been playing DSD audio via the 10x player's network interface....
post #17575 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks, Kal. On what hardware are you running JRiver?
I have a pair of Win/PC-based servers (C.A.P.S. Zuma).

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #17576 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
haha...Jeff, I've been on the 10x forums for the past year...I've lived through each and every firmware upgrade....I know what it can and cannot do....I will say there's been much more discussion about what you're inquiring in the 105 forum, where I hang out more. There is no online document/manual to get answers some times....I guess you'll have to test it out yourself if you don't believe me....or get more responses from other users who have successfully been playing DSD audio via the 10x player's network interface....

Thanks, I guess this boundary has been pushed a lot in the last year or so. The Oppo interface for DSD on attached USB storage is very crude, and with hundreds of titles becomes fairly worthless. So now I guess I need to research DLNA. I'll go to the 105 thread, read the first post, and the last two months and then do some searching for the relevant discussion.

Thanks,
Jeff
post #17577 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
I have a pair of Win/PC-based servers (C.A.P.S. Zuma).
Thanks again, Kal. Googling that is a quick trip down the rabbit hole and not one that can be done quickly. But I will do my due diligence....

Jeff
post #17578 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks again, Kal. Googling that is a quick trip down the rabbit hole and not one that can be done quickly. But I will do my due diligence....
Here's a link: http://shop.smallgreencomputer.com/C...CAPS3-Zuma.htm

I will also have a review on a complete package product, the Baetis XR2 http://www.baetisaudio.com/Baetis_XR2.php

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #17579 of 17984 Old 07-07-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
My strange little anomaly has now occurred a fourth time. This time the AVR was selected to the Oppo's HDMI 2 output and given several (roughly 10) seconds to compete the handshake before switching the video display to the Oppo's HDMI 1 output. I've also now had the Oppo off for more than 30 minutes and the issue still hasn't cleared. I can correct the video oddities by using explicit rather than automatic settings. The one issue I can't correct that way is that the Oppo will not output any audio on HDMI 2 while it is in this state. I also cannot get the Oppo to output anything other than RGB Full on HDMI 2 regardless of setting.

I have a hard time believing that I haven't accidentally performed what ever sequence of input changes that is triggering this event before the BDP10X-75-0515 firmware, so I'm suspect that this is a vulnerability of this firmware version.

I just performed a Reset Factory Defaults to no avail. I'll be sending an email to customer support about this as soon as I have time to write a clear explanation of all this. This is complex enough that it will probably be a fairly long email.

I turned off both units (BDP-103 and AVR) and reseated all the HDMI plugs. Magic. Everything is back to normal. UGH! Could this all be the result of an HDMI pin that is not making a consistently good connection between the 103 and the AVR?
post #17580 of 17984 Old 07-08-2014, 12:41 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 847
^ Yes. The key here is your report that you can't get anything but RGB PC Level on the HDMI 2 output. How do you know that? By the OPPO's on-screen Info display (plus Page Up/Down to switch to showing output status), or by some status display on your AVR? If there is disagreement between those two then that's a handshake failure and reseating the plugs would be a common fix. For example, if the AVR thinks it is connected to a DVI device (like a computer) then it would expect RGB input and NO AUDIO on that connection.
--Bob
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page