Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 586 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 463Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #17551 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the beach in Quintana Roo
Posts: 25,367
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I am assuming from what I got from reading the 1st post that the native MCH DSD playback from attached USB storage has not been undone by any subsequent firmware?

Is attached USB storage still the only way for the 103 to bitstream MCH DSD to my Onk 5508 over HDMI? Or has that been enabled/introduced with some other network scheme?

Thanks,
Jeff
pepar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17552 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
I am assuming from what I got from reading the 1st post that the native MCH DSD playback from attached USB storage has not been undone by any subsequent firmware?

Is attached USB storage still the only way for the 103 to bitstream MCH DSD to my Onk 5508 over HDMI? Or has that been enabled/introduced with some other network scheme?

Thanks,
Jeff

You can play back DSD audio via attached usb, or via network (DLNA or SMB shares). The Oppo only sends out a DSD stream via its hdmi 2 output if the proper 103 settings (SACD Output) are selected and the device on the other end of the hdmi cable can receive DSD streams.

Last edited by DanF8500; 07-07-2014 at 12:30 PM.
DanF8500 is offline  
post #17553 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the beach in Quintana Roo
Posts: 25,367
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeh911 View Post
Thr jriver wiki has a thread on pushing DFF and DSF and they seem to think this is current limitation of the 105 as jriver handles both DSD formats.
Pardon me for jumping in here, but a recent demo by a local fellow AVS'er showed that jriver does "handle" DSD, but it does so by converting it ... IN SOFTWARE ... to PCM. Personally, I do not consider that "handling" it.

Jeff
pepar is offline  
post #17554 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the beach in Quintana Roo
Posts: 25,367
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
You can play back DSD audio via attached usb, or via network (DLNA or SMB shares). The Oppo only sends out a DSD stream via its hdmi 2 output if the proper 103 settings (SACD Output) are selected and the device on the other end of the hdmi cable can receive DSD streams.
Thanks Dan. I stress MCH (multichannel) DSD as that has *always* been the catch for networked connections.

Jeff
pepar is offline  
post #17555 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the beach in Quintana Roo
Posts: 25,367
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
You can play back DSD audio via attached usb, or via network (DLNA or SMB shares). The Oppo only sends out a DSD stream via its hdmi 2 output if the proper 103 settings (SACD Output) are selected and the device on the other end of the hdmi cable can receive DSD streams.
Just saw this ... so I would need to connect HDMI 1 for BDs, DVD and DVD-A, and HDMI 2 for DSD?

Thanks,
Jeff
pepar is offline  
post #17556 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Notts, UK
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Just saw this ... so I would need to connect HDMI 1 for BDs, DVD and DVD-A, and HDMI 2 for DSD?

Thanks,
Jeff
My Oppo (not D version) is permanently connected to my Onkyo amplifier via HDMI 2. It passes all 'multi-channel' bit-stream audio formats on any disc format just fine

EDIT: It's also pretty good at playing multi-channel FLAC and PCM.wav files via SMB and UPnP too

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 07-07-2014 at 12:52 PM.
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #17557 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the beach in Quintana Roo
Posts: 25,367
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
My Oppo (not D version) is permanently connected to my Onkyo amplifier via HDMI 2. It passes all 'multi-channel' bit-stream audio formats on any disc format just fine
So there is NO downside to simply using HDMI 2 for everything? I do not use the player's vid processing.

Jeff
pepar is offline  
post #17558 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Pardon me for jumping in here, but a recent demo by a local fellow AVS'er showed that jriver does "handle" DSD, but it does so by converting it ... IN SOFTWARE ... to PCM. Personally, I do not consider that "handling" it.

Jeff

Jeff, unless I'm mistaken, I believe JRiver can "push" DSD audio(.dsf/.dff) "as is" to the Oppo players.....no transcoding is necessary....and there is no container reformatting (DoPE) taking place either. The DLNA server settings in JRiver show that the "original" DSD file is pushed to the Oppo 10x players. In fact, I know it is because the only way the Oppo can illuminate its front panel SACD indicator is if it is receiving a DSD audio stream (or playing an SACD disc), and I see the indicator illuminated when pushing DSD audio to it.

Last edited by DanF8500; 07-07-2014 at 01:00 PM.
DanF8500 is offline  
post #17559 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Notts, UK
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
So there is NO downside to simply using HDMI 2 for everything? I do not use the player's vid processing.

Jeff
Not that I've noticed... My Oppo is set to 'Source Direct' and I don't have any of its fancy video post-processing options enabled...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #17560 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the beach in Quintana Roo
Posts: 25,367
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Jeff, unless I'm mistaken, I believe JRiver can "push" DSD audio(.dsf/.dff) "as is" to the Oppo players.....no transcoding is necessary....and there is no container reformatting (DoPE) taking place either. The DLNA server settings in JRiver show that the "original" DSD file is pushed to the Oppo 10x players. In fact, I know it is because the only way the Oppo can illuminate its front panel SACD indicator is if it is receiving a DSD audio stream (or playing an SACD disc), and I see the indicator illuminated when pushing DSD audio to it.
Now that I think about it, it was probably that the custom-PC/media server could not output MCH DSD over HDMI. The pre/pro clearly showed PCM and not DSD. This is in spite of the setting you mention that jriver is supposedly outputting DSD.

Do you have such a server that will output DSD over HDMI?

Thinking about it further, my research into jriver showed that it would output 2-ch DSD but only over whatever-dem-fancy-cables-are connections ... to an external DAC. That was very early this year or maybe late least year that I dug into this.

I was never able to find a "sound card" that could output MCH DSD over HDMI.

Jeff

edit: MCH DSD over HDMI, the only way our gear can received DSD, is not an option with JRiver. So it is the 103 Oppo and attached USB storage.

Last edited by pepar; 07-07-2014 at 01:46 PM.
pepar is offline  
post #17561 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the beach in Quintana Roo
Posts: 25,367
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Not that I've noticed... My Oppo is set to 'Source Direct' and I don't have any of its fancy video post-processing options enabled...
Thanks, then that is one less detail I need to worry about.

thanks everyone for putting up with my single-minded purpose!

Jeff

Last edited by pepar; 07-07-2014 at 01:47 PM.
pepar is offline  
post #17562 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
 
LairdWilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC, USA
Posts: 404
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Pardon me for jumping in here, but a recent demo by a local fellow AVS'er showed that jriver does "handle" DSD, but it does so by converting it ... IN SOFTWARE ... to PCM. Personally, I do not consider that "handling" it.

Jeff
Was he using JRiver as a DLNA server or as a media player?

Properly configured when functioning as a DLNA server, it will do no such thing. It will serve up the file exactly as-is and all of the unpackaging, decoding, and everything else will be done at the endpoint - the 103 in this case.

Now - give that there are few PCs that can output DSD from their SOUND (TosLink, HDMI, etc. - but not network) interfaces, it would not surprise me at all if JRMC, when being used as a native media player in an HTPC, would convert DSD to PCM before output.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
LairdWilliams is online now  
post #17563 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the beach in Quintana Roo
Posts: 25,367
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
Was he using JRiver as a DLNA server or as a media player?
Probably the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams
Properly configured when functioning as a DLNA server, it will do no such thing. It will serve up the file exactly as-is and all of the unpackaging, decoding, and everything else will be done at the endpoint - the 103 in this case.
For multi-channel DSD? The Oppo accepts mch DSD over its ethernet connection when connected to a DLNA server?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams
Now - give that there are few PCs that can output DSD from their SOUND (TosLink, HDMI, etc. - but not network) interfaces, it would not surprise me at all if JRMC, when being used as a native media player in an HTPC, would convert DSD to PCM before output.
Well, exactly NO PCs output mch DSD over TosLink or HDMI.
pepar is offline  
post #17564 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

For multi-channel DSD? The Oppo accepts mch DSD over its ethernet connection when connected to a DLNA server?

I thought I told you it did in my first reply to you? I guess I wasn't specific about multi-ch vs 2-ch dsd, but the 103 is capable of receiving .dsf/.dff file formats (stereo and multi-ch) via the ethernet (DLNA or SMB).

Last edited by DanF8500; 07-07-2014 at 03:28 PM.
DanF8500 is offline  
post #17565 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,651
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
Was he using JRiver as a DLNA server or as a media player?

Properly configured when functioning as a DLNA server, it will do no such thing. It will serve up the file exactly as-is and all of the unpackaging, decoding, and everything else will be done at the endpoint - the 103 in this case.

Now - give that there are few PCs that can output DSD from their SOUND (TosLink, HDMI, etc. - but not network) interfaces, it would not surprise me at all if JRMC, when being used as a native media player in an HTPC, would convert DSD to PCM before output.
JRMC will output what you tell it to output and whatever the attached cables/devices can handle. I can send DSD or PCM, stereo or multichannel, from it via USB or HDMI depending on what my needs are. Coax and toslink are much more limited.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #17566 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the beach in Quintana Roo
Posts: 25,367
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
JRMC will output what you tell it to output and whatever the attached cables/devices can handle. I can send DSD or PCM, stereo or multichannel, from it via USB or HDMI depending on what my needs are. Coax and toslink are much more limited.
Thanks, Kal. On what hardware are you running JRiver?
pepar is offline  
post #17567 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

haha...Jeff, I've been on the 10x forums for the past year...I've lived through each and every firmware upgrade....I know what it can and cannot do....I will say there's been much more discussion about what you're inquiring in the 105 forum, where I hang out more. There is no online document/manual to get answers some times....I guess you'll have to test it out yourself if you don't believe me....or get more responses from other users who have successfully been playing DSD audio via the 10x player's network interface....
DanF8500 is offline  
post #17568 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,651
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Thanks, Kal. On what hardware are you running JRiver?
I have a pair of Win/PC-based servers (C.A.P.S. Zuma).

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #17569 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 03:55 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the beach in Quintana Roo
Posts: 25,367
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
haha...Jeff, I've been on the 10x forums for the past year...I've lived through each and every firmware upgrade....I know what it can and cannot do....I will say there's been much more discussion about what you're inquiring in the 105 forum, where I hang out more. There is no online document/manual to get answers some times....I guess you'll have to test it out yourself if you don't believe me....or get more responses from other users who have successfully been playing DSD audio via the 10x player's network interface....


Thanks, I guess this boundary has been pushed a lot in the last year or so. The Oppo interface for DSD on attached USB storage is very crude, and with hundreds of titles becomes fairly worthless. So now I guess I need to research DLNA. I'll go to the 105 thread, read the first post, and the last two months and then do some searching for the relevant discussion.

Thanks,
Jeff
pepar is offline  
post #17570 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: On the beach in Quintana Roo
Posts: 25,367
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
I have a pair of Win/PC-based servers (C.A.P.S. Zuma).
Thanks again, Kal. Googling that is a quick trip down the rabbit hole and not one that can be done quickly. But I will do my due diligence....

Jeff
pepar is offline  
post #17571 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,651
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Thanks again, Kal. Googling that is a quick trip down the rabbit hole and not one that can be done quickly. But I will do my due diligence....
Here's a link: http://shop.smallgreencomputer.com/C...CAPS3-Zuma.htm

I will also have a review on a complete package product, the Baetis XR2 http://www.baetisaudio.com/Baetis_XR2.php

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #17572 of 21148 Old 07-07-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 1,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 105
My strange little anomaly has now occurred a fourth time. This time the AVR was selected to the Oppo's HDMI 2 output and given several (roughly 10) seconds to compete the handshake before switching the video display to the Oppo's HDMI 1 output. I've also now had the Oppo off for more than 30 minutes and the issue still hasn't cleared. I can correct the video oddities by using explicit rather than automatic settings. The one issue I can't correct that way is that the Oppo will not output any audio on HDMI 2 while it is in this state. I also cannot get the Oppo to output anything other than RGB Full on HDMI 2 regardless of setting.

I have a hard time believing that I haven't accidentally performed what ever sequence of input changes that is triggering this event before the BDP10X-75-0515 firmware, so I'm suspect that this is a vulnerability of this firmware version.

I just performed a Reset Factory Defaults to no avail. I'll be sending an email to customer support about this as soon as I have time to write a clear explanation of all this. This is complex enough that it will probably be a fairly long email.

I turned off both units (BDP-103 and AVR) and reseated all the HDMI plugs. Magic. Everything is back to normal. UGH! Could this all be the result of an HDMI pin that is not making a consistently good connection between the 103 and the AVR?
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #17573 of 21148 Old 07-08-2014, 12:41 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,507
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
^ Yes. The key here is your report that you can't get anything but RGB PC Level on the HDMI 2 output. How do you know that? By the OPPO's on-screen Info display (plus Page Up/Down to switch to showing output status), or by some status display on your AVR? If there is disagreement between those two then that's a handshake failure and reseating the plugs would be a common fix. For example, if the AVR thinks it is connected to a DVI device (like a computer) then it would expect RGB input and NO AUDIO on that connection.
--Bob
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #17574 of 21148 Old 07-08-2014, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Notts, UK
Posts: 2,040
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Thanks, I guess this boundary has been pushed a lot in the last year or so. The Oppo interface for DSD on attached USB storage is very crude, and with hundreds of titles becomes fairly worthless. So now I guess I need to research DLNA. I'll go to the 105 thread, read the first post, and the last two months and then do some searching for the relevant discussion.

Thanks,
Jeff
For somebody like me who accesses all their media stored on a (Synology) NAS using the Oppo's GUI, I don't have a problem finding and playing (.dff and .dsf) DSD files via UPnP and SMB.

But from what I'm able to determine, if you want to find and play your (.dff and .dsf) DSD files using a 'smart remote control' (or what-ever the correct expression is), it seems to be a more complicated issue

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 07-08-2014 at 01:40 AM.
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #17575 of 21148 Old 07-08-2014, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
KC-Technerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Liberty, MO
Posts: 1,323
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Yes. The key here is your report that you can't get anything but RGB PC Level on the HDMI 2 output. How do you know that? By the OPPO's on-screen Info display (plus Page Up/Down to switch to showing output status), or by some status display on your AVR? If there is disagreement between those two then that's a handshake failure and reseating the plugs would be a common fix. For example, if the AVR thinks it is connected to a DVI device (like a computer) then it would expect RGB input and NO AUDIO on that connection.
--Bob
RGB was indicated by the Oppo's on-screen info display for HDMI 2 and RGB FULL was indicated by my AVR for the 103's input regardless of any explicit Color Space (HDMI 2) setting I made in the Oppo's HDMI Options sub-menu (so there actually was no disagreement between the two, just a disagreement with the setting). I had previously noted that the apparent reduction of resolution of the Oppo's menus during these occurrences (despite my video display indicating 1080p input) could be eliminated by using an explicit setting of 1080p rather than the AUTO setting. So I decided to see how many of the issues occurring could be eliminated by using explicit settings. RGB video and no audio on HDMI 2 were the only 2 issues that I couldn't eliminate. The first time this occurred I thought I had reseated all the HDMI plugs (particularly on the HDMI 2 cable) without correction, but perhaps I missed one. I had once before lost audio on HDMI 2 and found that the cable (which is an Oppo supplied HDMI cable) had partially unseated itself from the AVR due to the weight and stiffness of the cable, so it was suspect and I'm sure I at least made sure it was fully seated into the plugs on both ends. Last night when this occurred I again checked to make sure it was fully seated (which it was) before I pulled it out and reseated it.
KC-Technerd is offline  
post #17576 of 21148 Old 07-09-2014, 10:22 PM
Member
 
Bob Benson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Parsippany, NJ
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have there been any premature failures of the video processor on these?

Tonight I went to watch a rental disc and immediately upon loading the disc was stuttering and half the picture was digital garbage. I thought it might be an issue with the display at first or a cable or my external darbee. But I was able to run my ps3 as a backup blu ray player through the oppo's hdmi input and it played everything correctly.

I tried several discs I recently played and they all came out garbled. One strange thing though the streaming previews the disc download from online played fine.

Also Netflix via the Oppo's app played garbled too. The menu and interface load and display fine. But the streaming video itself was garbled.

I've only had my unit since March so this is a little disconcerting.

I left a message with their support.

Oh and I tried a factory reset to no avail. I already had been on the newest firmware since as soon as it had been available and had been running fine.

XBL Gamertag - PVT Hicks
Bob Benson is online now  
post #17577 of 21148 Old 07-09-2014, 11:24 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
htwaits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 24,871
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Benson View Post
Have there been any premature failures of the video processor on these?
I left a message with their support.
No, but any electronic device can fail at any time. There are others in the OPPO threads who are expert at diagnosing setup problems. It's probably a long shot that it's your player. The calvary will arrive soon.
htwaits is offline  
post #17578 of 21148 Old 07-09-2014, 11:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,659
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 226
^ I would try disconnecting everything except power cord and HDMI cable going directly to display.
Does it still have digital breakup? Try a different HDMI cable too. Also try a different display if you can too, as it could be the tv.
You also said a reset to default settings didn't cure it?
If all of that still yields a problem then you should contact Oppo support to see if it needs repaired.

Like htwaits said though, even the best products are going to fail sometimes.
If only 1 out of 500 units has a failure, that failure still has to fall on someone unfortunately.
The fortunate part is the Oppo has stellar customer and product support.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #17579 of 21148 Old 07-10-2014, 12:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 10,641
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4411 Post(s)
Liked: 1723
When I put a Blu-ray movie in my 103 BD player, in the disc menu there is an annoying bright vertical line at the extreme left.
...Like the main disc menu is not filling my screen at 100% but at 98.5% or so.
Often it's not there from the get go, but after few minutes or so, or when in pause mode, etc. ..From standby to active to back to standby, and on the disc menu picture page and also on freeze frames. ...After few minutes.

What is that and how do I get rid of it? It is not normal because I have seven other Blu-ray players and none of them has that annoying vertical bar (not filling my screen at 100%) at the extreme left, from bottom to top.
I would love to resolve that issue; it's been present since the very beginning, more than a year.

* During normal playback all is fine. ...And everything else is ok.

I'll give a reward (kiss of love) to anyone able to help.
NorthSky is offline  
post #17580 of 21148 Old 07-10-2014, 12:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,659
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
When I put a Blu-ray movie in my 103 BD player, in the disc menu there is an annoying bright vertical line at the extreme left.
...Like the main disc menu is not filling my screen at 100% but at 98.5% or so.
Often it's not there from the get go, but after few minutes or so, or when in pause mode, etc. ..From standby to active to back to standby, and on the disc menu picture page and also on freeze frames. ...After few minutes.

What is that and how do I get rid of it? It is not normal because I have seven other Blu-ray players and none of them has that annoying vertical bar (not filling my screen at 100%) at the extreme left, from bottom to top.
I would love to resolve that issue; it's been present since the very beginning, more than a year.

* During normal playback all is fine. ...And everything else is ok.

I'll give a reward (kiss of love) to anyone able to help.
Honestly I have never heard of such a thing with Oppo BD players, and I follow all the posts very closely and do some beta testing for Oppo too.
I think the problem may be occurring in your display, possibly a cabling issue, or maybe even the player could need serviced.
I would try first checking your TVs settings to make sure there is not some kind of underscan setting or something similar turned on.
Then I would try a different HDMI cable to see if it's a problem with the cable.

What color is the line?... white? What display are you using? Is there an avr/pre-amp between the player and display?
Some of that info could be useful for further troubleshooting.
Other than those suggestions above I am a bit clueless what else it could be.
Perhaps someone else will have the answer.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off