post #17581 of 17600 Old 07-08-2014, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Thanks, I guess this boundary has been pushed a lot in the last year or so. The Oppo interface for DSD on attached USB storage is very crude, and with hundreds of titles becomes fairly worthless. So now I guess I need to research DLNA. I'll go to the 105 thread, read the first post, and the last two months and then do some searching for the relevant discussion.

Thanks,
Jeff
For somebody like me who accesses all their media stored on a (Synology) NAS using the Oppo's GUI, I don't have a problem finding and playing (.dff and .dsf) DSD files via UPnP and SMB.

But from what I'm able to determine, if you want to find and play your (.dff and .dsf) DSD files using a 'smart remote control' (or what-ever the correct expression is), it seems to be a more complicated issue

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 07-08-2014 at 01:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17582 of 17600 Old 07-08-2014, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Yes. The key here is your report that you can't get anything but RGB PC Level on the HDMI 2 output. How do you know that? By the OPPO's on-screen Info display (plus Page Up/Down to switch to showing output status), or by some status display on your AVR? If there is disagreement between those two then that's a handshake failure and reseating the plugs would be a common fix. For example, if the AVR thinks it is connected to a DVI device (like a computer) then it would expect RGB input and NO AUDIO on that connection.
--Bob
RGB was indicated by the Oppo's on-screen info display for HDMI 2 and RGB FULL was indicated by my AVR for the 103's input regardless of any explicit Color Space (HDMI 2) setting I made in the Oppo's HDMI Options sub-menu (so there actually was no disagreement between the two, just a disagreement with the setting). I had previously noted that the apparent reduction of resolution of the Oppo's menus during these occurrences (despite my video display indicating 1080p input) could be eliminated by using an explicit setting of 1080p rather than the AUTO setting. So I decided to see how many of the issues occurring could be eliminated by using explicit settings. RGB video and no audio on HDMI 2 were the only 2 issues that I couldn't eliminate. The first time this occurred I thought I had reseated all the HDMI plugs (particularly on the HDMI 2 cable) without correction, but perhaps I missed one. I had once before lost audio on HDMI 2 and found that the cable (which is an Oppo supplied HDMI cable) had partially unseated itself from the AVR due to the weight and stiffness of the cable, so it was suspect and I'm sure I at least made sure it was fully seated into the plugs on both ends. Last night when this occurred I again checked to make sure it was fully seated (which it was) before I pulled it out and reseated it.
post #17583 of 17600 Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have there been any premature failures of the video processor on these?

Tonight I went to watch a rental disc and immediately upon loading the disc was stuttering and half the picture was digital garbage. I thought it might be an issue with the display at first or a cable or my external darbee. But I was able to run my ps3 as a backup blu ray player through the oppo's hdmi input and it played everything correctly.

I tried several discs I recently played and they all came out garbled. One strange thing though the streaming previews the disc download from online played fine.

Also Netflix via the Oppo's app played garbled too. The menu and interface load and display fine. But the streaming video itself was garbled.

I've only had my unit since March so this is a little disconcerting.

I left a message with their support.

Oh and I tried a factory reset to no avail. I already had been on the newest firmware since as soon as it had been available and had been running fine.

XBL Gamertag - PVT Hicks
post #17584 of 17600 Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Benson View Post
No, but any electronic device can fail at any time. There are others in the OPPO threads who are expert at diagnosing setup problems. It's probably a long shot that it's your player. The calvary will arrive soon.
post #17585 of 17600 Old Yesterday, 11:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 102
^ I would try disconnecting everything except power cord and HDMI cable going directly to display.
Does it still have digital breakup? Try a different HDMI cable too. Also try a different display if you can too, as it could be the tv.
You also said a reset to default settings didn't cure it?
If all of that still yields a problem then you should contact Oppo support to see if it needs repaired.

Like htwaits said though, even the best products are going to fail sometimes.
If only 1 out of 500 units has a failure, that failure still has to fall on someone unfortunately.
The fortunate part is the Oppo has stellar customer and product support.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #17586 of 17600 Old Today, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
When I put a Blu-ray movie in my 103 BD player, in the disc menu there is an annoying bright vertical line at the extreme left.
...Like the main disc menu is not filling my screen at 100% but at 98.5% or so.
Often it's not there from the get go, but after few minutes or so, or when in pause mode, etc. ..From standby to active to back to standby, and on the disc menu picture page and also on freeze frames. ...After few minutes.

What is that and how do I get rid of it? It is not normal because I have seven other Blu-ray players and none of them has that annoying vertical bar (not filling my screen at 100%) at the extreme left, from bottom to top.
I would love to resolve that issue; it's been present since the very beginning, more than a year.

* During normal playback all is fine. ...And everything else is ok.

I'll give a reward (kiss of love) to anyone able to help.
post #17587 of 17600 Old Today, 12:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
When I put a Blu-ray movie in my 103 BD player, in the disc menu there is an annoying bright vertical line at the extreme left.
Often it's not there from the get go, but after few minutes or so, or when in pause mode, etc. ..From standby to active to back to standby, and on the disc menu picture page and also on freeze frames. ...After few minutes.

What is that and how do I get rid of it? It is not normal because I have seven other Blu-ray players and none of them has that annoying vertical bar (not filling my screen at 100%) at the extreme left, from bottom to top.
I would love to resolve that issue; it's been present since the very beginning, more than a year.

Honestly I have never heard of such a thing with Oppo BD players, and I follow all the posts very closely and do some beta testing for Oppo too.
I think the problem may be occurring in your display, possibly a cabling issue, or maybe even the player could need serviced.
I would try first checking your TVs settings to make sure there is not some kind of underscan setting or something similar turned on.
Then I would try a different HDMI cable to see if it's a problem with the cable.

What color is the line?... white? What display are you using? Is there an avr/pre-amp between the player and display?
Some of that info could be useful for further troubleshooting.
Other than those suggestions above I am a bit clueless what else it could be.
Perhaps someone else will have the answer.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #17588 of 17600 Old Today, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Honestly I have never heard of such a thing with Oppo BD players, and I follow all the posts very closely and do some beta testing for Oppo too.
I think the problem may be occurring in your display, possibly a cabling issue, or maybe even the player could need serviced.
I would try first checking your TVs settings to make sure there is not some kind of underscan setting or something similar turned on.
Then I would try a different HDMI cable to see if it's a problem with the cable.

What color is the line?... white? What display are you using? Is there an avr/pre-amp between the player and display?
Some of that info could be useful for further troubleshooting.
Other than those suggestions above I am a bit clueless what else it could be.
Perhaps someone else will have the answer.
Good questions, if the Oppo is connected directly to the display is the problem still present? Have you tried directly with both HDMI 1/2?
post #17589 of 17600 Old Today, 05:48 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ I would try disconnecting everything except power cord and HDMI cable going directly to display.
Does it still have digital breakup? Try a different HDMI cable too. Also try a different display if you can too, as it could be the tv.
You also said a reset to default settings didn't cure it?
If all of that still yields a problem then you should contact Oppo support to see if it needs repaired.

Like htwaits said though, even the best products are going to fail sometimes.
If only 1 out of 500 units has a failure, that failure still has to fall on someone unfortunately.
The fortunate part is the Oppo has stellar customer and product support.
Hmmm, if the previews are NOT encrypted (and the main movie is), then I wonder if the descrambler is faulty ... or maybe needs a firmware update. Something to do with encryption ....

Jeff
post #17590 of 17600 Old Today, 06:50 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Benson View Post

Tonight I went to watch a rental disc and immediately upon loading the disc was stuttering and half the picture was digital garbage. I thought it might be an issue with the display at first or a cable or my external darbee. But I was able to run my ps3 as a backup blu ray player through the oppo's hdmi input and it played everything correctly.

I tried several discs I recently played and they all came out garbled. One strange thing though the streaming previews the disc download from online played fine.

Also Netflix via the Oppo's app played garbled too. The menu and interface load and display fine. But the streaming video itself was garbled.

I've only had my unit since March so this is a little disconcerting.

Oh and I tried a factory reset to no avail. I already had been on the newest firmware since as soon as it had been available and had been running fine.
First, bypass the external Darbee and connect via a single length of HDMI cable to your Display.

If the problem goes away, then check the HDMI connections via the Darbee.

If the problem still exists, then lower the output resolution of the player (Resolution button on the remote, plus Up/Down arrow -- use the Front Panel to see what you are selecting if the TV video is no good). Start with 480p (not 480i). 480p is the "simplest" resolution for HDMI. Then 1080i, then 1080p. If 480p and 1080i work but 1080p does not then that's good evidence the problem is marginal HDMI cabling. Make sure you are using HDMI cables sold as "High Speed" or "For 1080p" or "Category 2", all of which mean the same thing. HDMI plugs are just friction fit and it only takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw things up. Reseat each plug to check.

Simplify the HDMI handshake by turning Deep Color OFF, selecting an explicit choice for HDMI Color Space instead of AUTO (YCbCr 4:4:4 is the normal default), and selecting an explicit choice (LPCM or Bitstream) for HDMI Audio. Also turn HDMI CEC OFF in Setup > Device Setup.

Try a different HDMI input on your TV. Try both the HDMI 1 and the HDMI 2 outputs of the OPPO (only one connected at a time).

All of this is diagnostic stuff to try to get a handle on what's going on here. Odds are this is an HDMI handshake failure rather than a hardware fault, but we'll know more after you try these experiments.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17591 of 17600 Old Today, 06:56 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

First check that you have the latest firmware. In Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information, the "Main" firmware version number should end 0515.

If you've got older firmware, you should update now before spending any more time on nailing this down. There were bugs in older firmware (quite old, actually) which could cause what you are reporting.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17592 of 17600 Old Today, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
HDMI plugs are just friction fit and it only takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw things up. Reseat each plug to check.
I'm fairly confident now that this is what was causing my issues with losing audio on HDMI 2 along with all the other odd behavior. I would emphasize that reseat means pull it out and push it back in. In my case, despite the plugs feeling completely and securely (as secure as HDMI plugs get) inserted I was still having intermittent issues that were ultimately corrected by pulling and re-inserting each HDMI plug. I'm liking HDMI less and less.
post #17593 of 17600 Old Today, 07:53 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ If the HDMI plug is angled as it is inserted, you can get a bad fit even though the result appears to end up fully seated, correctly.

You can also get a transient piece of dust (or whatever) on a pin that screws up the connection.

Both get fixed by removing and reseating the plug.

For stubborn problems, it is is wise to get a flashlight and carefully inspect both the plug ends and the sockets looking for bent pins.

Another approach to this is the "wiggle test". Grab the cable about an inch back from the seated plug. Gently push the plug straight in towards the socket and give the cable a gentle wiggle while doing so. This is most useful if you have a visible problem on screen (e.g., the "sparklies") so you can check if the problem goes away while you are doing this. You need to check both ends of each HDMI cable all the way from source to display.
--Bob
KC-Technerd likes this.

post #17594 of 17600 Old Today, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
I'm liking HDMI less and less.
Get some good Blue Jeans cables... they have a nice snug fit compared to most other HDMI cables.

Sean
post #17595 of 17600 Old Today, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
Get some good Blue Jeans cables... they have a nice snug fit compared to most other HDMI cables.
I have never used Blue Jeans, they do get a lot of praise though.
One thing this reminds me of though, are also the Monoprice cables.
They have the Redmere style that are good for long runs, but I also got some of the short Redmere cables and
was surprised at how 'spaghetti thin' they are.
One thing this helps with is the stress that weighty cables can put on the socket connections of HDMI.
Even just using a standard cable (like the one that is included with the player), can still put pressure on the socket to the point of
allowing the connection to sometimes wiggle loose. Most of the time no, but the potential is still there.
With the Redmere cables, that potential is completely gone.
The cables are so light, there is ZERO potential for it to wiggle out of the socket, or cause any type of pressure damage.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...

Last edited by Smarty-pants; Today at 12:45 PM.
post #17596 of 17600 Old Today, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 77
The Blue Jeans cables are fairly lightweight and flexible compared to most cables.

post #17597 of 17600 Old Today, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
First check that you have the latest firmware. In Setup > Device Setup > Firmware Information, the "Main" firmware version number should end 0515.

If you've got older firmware, you should update now before spending any more time on nailing this down. There were bugs in older firmware (quite old, actually) which could cause what you are reporting.
--Bob
Hi Bob,

I never updated my original firmware in my Oppo BDP-103 player; it is the very first original one.
...Simply because if it ain't broken why fix it, and if no needs to new features why use them.

When I first bought my player, about a year and half ago, I noticed this flaw quite immediately, and I knew that it was a flaw because I did everything; changing HDMI cables, HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 outputs, directly to my Samsung plasma TV, picture settings in my TV, connected to my pre/pro, ...EVERYTHING.
And I do have another seven Blu-ray players @ home (like I already mentioned), and none exhibits this flaw.

The only fix was to adjust manually my screen's picture shifting; by two clicks to the left (on my TV).
But I have to do this every single day that I'm watching a Blu-ray with my Oppo 103 - it is annoying.
But remember, it is mainly with the main menu page (frozen frame or animated on a loop) , and never while watching a movie normally. ...That's why I lived with it all that time.

And I knew that it wasn't a common flaw in Oppo BD players (I am an avid researcher).

Now, Smarty-pants, even him is not aware of that flaw (the thin vertical line at extreme left is only roughly 1% of the total screen's size): It's the behind of another picture menu, or frame. ...Definitely a flaw of my Oppo 103 player.

NOW! If I update my firmware of my player, is it safe for EVERYTHING else?
Because I don't want to fix an issue (annoying but I can live with) if I'm going to get something else which I wouldn't like, if you know what I mean.

Like I said, everything else is to my complete satisfaction, and I ain't looking for for additional/beneficial features. ...Sound and Picture quality are excellent, and that's all what truly matters to me.

Again, should I get the latest firmware from the very first original firmware (there has been roughly twenty of them since then!) in total confidence that nothing else would be impeding in my overall satisfaction on the aspects that are most important to me: watching Blu-ray movies, documentaries, music concerts, etc., with fabulous sound & picture quality?

Because, this annoying flaw is only present on the menu pages, and when I'm pausing my player and that after few minutes when I resume or go back to the main menu, that vertical bar is always there.
Will a firmware update, to the latest one (... 0515), fix this, and not introducing other anomalies that I might regret later on? ...A balance of safety mixed with courage.

Thanks Smarty-pants, mhobart, and you too Bob.

Last edited by NorthSky; Today at 01:11 PM.
post #17598 of 17600 Old Today, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
I never updated my original firmware in my Oppo BDP-103 player; it is the very first original one.
...Simply because if it ain't broken why fix it, and if no needs to new features why use them.
I don't think my Oppo came with the original firmware. Which firmware version do you actually have installed?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; Today at 01:17 PM.
post #17599 of 17600 Old Today, 01:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all... I hate to ask this, but with over 17598 messages in this thread alone, it would be very hard to read through it all to find what I'm looking for.

My 103D just arrived yesterday. I have it all hooked up. However, internet apps like Netflix wont stream. I have the network setup properly. The unit can see my network, my computer and what not. It will even launch netflix, but I keep getting an error... Something to do with the netflix servers. Also, I tried some of the other browser based apps, they did not want to connect properly either.

I have netflix on my Visio TV and it can connect to the service just fine. Wondering if there might be a step I'm missing?

Oh and one more thing... I just wanted to verify that there is NO Bluetooth capabilities right? I didn't even think about that when I was purchasing the unit.
post #17600 of 17600 Old Today, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Hi Bob,

When I first bought my player, about a year and half ago, I noticed this flaw quite immediately, and I knew that it was a flaw because I did everything; changing HDMI cables, HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 outputs, directly to my Samsung plasma TV, picture settings in my TV, connected to my pre/pro, ...EVERYTHING.
And I do have another seven Blu-ray players @ home (like I already mentioned), and none exhibits this flaw.

The only fix was to adjust manually my screen's picture shifting; by two clicks to the left (on my TV).
But I have to do this every single day that I'm watching a Blu-ray with my Oppo 103 - it is annoying.
But remember, it is mainly with the main menu page (frozen frame or animated on a loop) , and never while watching a movie normally. ...That's why I lived with it all that time.

And I knew that it wasn't a common flaw in Oppo BD players (I am an avid researcher).

Now, Smarty-pants, even him is not aware of that flaw (the thin vertical line at extreme left is only roughly 1% of the total screen's size): It's the behind of another picture menu, or frame. ...Definitely a flaw of my Oppo 103 player.

NOW! If I update my firmware of my player, is it safe for EVERYTHING else?
Because I don't want to fix an issue (annoying but I can live with) if I'm going to get something else which I wouldn't like, if you know what I mean.

Like I said, everything else is to my complete satisfaction, and I ain't looking for for additional/beneficial features. ...Sound and Picture quality are excellent, and that's all what truly matters to me.

Again, should I get the latest firmware from the very first original firmware (there has been roughly twenty of them since then!) in total confidence that nothing else would be impeding in my overall satisfaction on the aspects that are most important to me: watching Blu-ray movies, documentaries, music concerts, etc., with fabulous sound & picture quality?

Because, this annoying flaw is only present on the menu pages, and when I'm pausing my player and that after few minutes when I resume or go back to the main menu, that vertical bar is always there.
Will a firmware update, to the latest one (... 0515), fix this, and not introducing other anomalies that I might regret later on? ...A balance of safety mixed with courage.

Thanks Smarty-pants, mhobart, and you too Bob.
Well that was the major flaw in my previous response. I assumed you had the latest firmware installed.
If the flaw you are seeing was there a couple years ago and quickly fixed with a firmware revision,
that may be why I do not remember it, but at this point, I think it's a fairly safe assumption that updating your player will probably fix it.
I think you are safe to update the firmware. I say go for it.
You may also like some of the features that have been added since the player was first released.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page