AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post
Netflix Issues Again?
I hate to bring up Netflix again but I haven't been able to get into Netflix for 3 days. I chalked it up to Netflix being down over the weekend multiple times but even while it is back up I am getting the obligatory Check your connections and reset everything. I am getting to the Internet and have gone thru the problem solving but cannot connect to the Netflix servers. The only thing that I have not done is Reset my Oppo. I will do this next but want to hear from others as resetting my Oppo is a little heavy handed if it is on the Netflix end.
The best step is to de-authorize the Oppo for Netflix (its in the setup menu in the Oppo). Then start over and re-authorize. If you can't get to that re-authorize step, then there really is an issue with your network or ISP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17642 of 18071 Old 07-14-2014, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks rdgrimes,
I had to deauthorize and then reauthorize to get it to work. Resetting the Oppo and following the Netflix recommendations did not work.
post #17643 of 18071 Old 07-14-2014, 03:23 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
When watching a Blu-Ray disc on my Oppo yesterday I noticed for a second a small green line in the screen. Like a small visual glitch.
When going backwards to the same point on the disc it did not happen again, so it is definitely not an error on the disc.
Is this something I should be worried about? What could be the cause of this?

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone) / DUNE HD SMART H1
post #17644 of 18071 Old 07-14-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffietje View Post
When watching a Blu-Ray disc on my Oppo yesterday I noticed for a second a small green line in the screen. Like a small visual glitch.
When going backwards to the same point on the disc it did not happen again, so it is definitely not an error on the disc.
Impossible to know what it could be. So many possibilities for any tiny piece of hardware to fail in a player, or AVR, or display.
Could have been something as slight as a one-off handshaking error which can and does happen from time to time.
Not much you can do except not worry until it happens again, then at that point start troubleshooting what the problem could be.
Daffietje likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI

Last edited by Smarty-pants; 07-14-2014 at 08:39 AM.
post #17645 of 18071 Old 07-14-2014, 06:09 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Where was the line located on screen? Was it horizontal or vertical or what? Did it stretch from edge to edge or was it shorter than that? Did it look multiple pixels thick or only 1 pixel thick? Did it stay at one location or did it move while it was visible?

All of these might be clues as to what happened, but of course if it doesn't repeat it's not really worth worrying about.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17646 of 18071 Old 07-14-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Where was the line located on screen? Was it horizontal or vertical or what? Did it stretch from edge to edge or was it shorter than that? Did it look multiple pixels thick or only 1 pixel thick? Did it stay at one location or did it move while it was visible?

All of these might be clues as to what happened, but of course if it doesn't repeat it's not really worth worrying about.
--Bob
Sorry, should have been more complete when describing the problem.

It was horizontal and it appeared to stretch from edge to edge. It was a small line so I guess only 1 pixel thick?
It appeared to move a little, but I am not very sure about that.

Does that help?

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone) / DUNE HD SMART H1
post #17647 of 18071 Old 07-14-2014, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Capture a still image of your encode using a software player and provide a MediaInfo file report...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #17648 of 18071 Old 07-14-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Capture a still image of your encode using a software player and provide a MediaInfo file report...
? I can not reproduce the green line.
Also it was a regular blu-ray disc (TNG Season 6 Disc 1), I am not capable to read blu-ray discs with my pc so unfortuntately not able to provide a MediaInfo file report

post #17649 of 18071 Old 07-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Sorry, should have been more complete when describing the problem.

It was horizontal and it appeared to stretch from edge to edge. It was a small line so I guess only 1 pixel thick?
It appeared to move a little, but I am not very sure about that.

Does that help?
If it appeared to drift slowly upwards while it remained visible then that's likely to be power line interference. Perhaps somebody started a power tool nearby. Nothing to worry about in that case.

(Power line noise is true 60Hz, but the screen refresh rate is 59.94Hz for technical reasons. That's why power line interference drifts slowly up the screen.)
--Bob
Daffietje likes this.
post #17650 of 18071 Old 07-14-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
If it appeared to drift slowly upwards while it remained visible then that's likely to be power line interference. Perhaps somebody started a power tool nearby. Nothing to worry about in that case.

(Power line noise is true 60Hz, but the screen refresh rate is 59.94Hz for technical reasons. That's why power line interference drifts slowly up the screen.)
--Bob
I was watching 24p content by the way (being shown in 24p on my screen).

I just hope it has nothing to do with the fact that my subwoofer gone dead.
I noticed this when returning from holiday some days ago.
Neighbours told me there was some severe thunder/lightning so that is probably why the subwoofer is dead.

Just hope this green line has/had nothing to do with the thunder/lightning...

Last edited by Daffietje; 07-14-2014 at 09:00 AM.
post #17651 of 18071 Old 07-14-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
? I can not reproduce the green line.
Also it was a regular blu-ray disc (TNG Season 6 Disc 1), I am not capable to read blu-ray discs with my pc so unfortuntately not able to provide a MediaInfo file report
My mistake... I got the feeling you were not playing a 'store-bought' Blu-ray disc...

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #17652 of 18071 Old 07-14-2014, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've had my 103 for a few months now and love it. Only thing I have not been able to find in the setup or in the owners manual is an auto off feature. Is it not an option? Others in the house forget to turn it off sometimes and it will stay on for days. I'm not sure if this is bad for it or not but Auto off would be nice.
post #17653 of 18071 Old 07-14-2014, 09:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ See Setup > Device Setup > Sleep Timer.

Also see Setup > Video Setup > Screen Saver > Energy Saver.

There's no problem leaving the player turned on so long as a disc is not playing.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17654 of 18071 Old 07-14-2014, 10:00 AM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just started using my Oppo to play .mkv files and was watching one last night that has a forced subtitle track, but the Oppo wasn't playing it by default. Had to go into the subtitle menu and turn it on, so is this a known issue? I checked the header for the .mkv and it shows the forced flag is set correctly.

jcg
post #17655 of 18071 Old 07-14-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:

There's no problem leaving the player turned on so long as a disc is not playing.
--Bob

Thanks Bob. I will look in the video setup. I have found the sleep timer before but if i recall, it starts the sleep timer from when you turn it on and will turn off the oppo even if it is being used, correct? I'm just looking for a setting that willl shut it off after a period of inactivty.
post #17656 of 18071 Old 07-15-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
has anyone tried the 5TB or 6TB external hard drives with the Oppo?
post #17657 of 18071 Old 07-15-2014, 09:09 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonDeyholos View Post
Thanks Bob. I will look in the video setup. I have found the sleep timer before but if i recall, it starts the sleep timer from when you turn it on and will turn off the oppo even if it is being used, correct? I'm just looking for a setting that willl shut it off after a period of inactivty.
Those are the only settings currently available for this. You might want to send an email to OPPO Tech Support asking for an additional option in the "Sleep Timer".
--Bob

post #17658 of 18071 Old 07-15-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Those are the only settings currently available for this. You might want to send an email to OPPO Tech Support asking for an additional option in the "Sleep Timer".
--Bob
Email sent to technical support. Thanks for the suggestion.
post #17659 of 18071 Old 07-16-2014, 11:36 AM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Didn't get a reply here, so I emailed Oppo tech support and here is their answer.

"The player does not acknowledged Forced or Default subtitle and language settings. This is something that we have requested the decoder manufacturer change in their SDK, but they have not done so yet."

jcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg View Post
Just started using my Oppo to play .mkv files and was watching one last night that has a forced subtitle track, but the Oppo wasn't playing it by default. Had to go into the subtitle menu and turn it on, so is this a known issue? I checked the header for the .mkv and it shows the forced flag is set correctly.

jcg
post #17660 of 18071 Old 07-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

--Bob
I suffer from that "static pop" thing via coax/toslink to my AVM ........ through trial and error I realized it was only happening right after turning on the 103 ...... once running the handshake issues didn't cause the "pop".......... solution to the problem was Energy Saver and leave the unit on all the time (no disc playing).
post #17661 of 18071 Old 07-16-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
--Bob
Depends what your definition of "inactivity" is. My old sony DVD player would turn off after a period of time if it was playing a cd but not a DVD. Since the cd actually stops providing a signal when done vs a DVD goes back to the menu and continues to provide video and audio.

I wouldn't mind oppo doing this after a cd ends too. I often put a cd on before going to bed and would set the sleep timer and have to turn the tv on to see the sleep menu. I asked them once if we could see the sleep timer on the display and access the sleep timer directly from the remote vs navigating the menu.
post #17662 of 18071 Old 07-18-2014, 01:37 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
"I'm setting up a new BDP-103 with a Sony W850A LED and a Pioneer VSX-9040TXH receiver. I'm currently trying to use the Dual HDMI set-up with HDMI-1 going to the tv and HDMI-2 going to either the receiver's BD HDMI input or just an HDMI input; tried both.

I'm not getting any audio with either a BD or with streaming Netflix. I've gone through the manual and believe I have made all recommended adjustments for video/audio. Regular tv works fine with audio.

Anyone have suggestions on why the audio is not coming through? Will appreciate any help."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Looking at your Pioneer manual, you will not get any audio input from an external source if you have selected PCM on your receiver. Do you have PCM selected?
I went back to the original connections and checked the receiver for PCM. It was not displayed on the front panel. I have no idea why, but I cannot bring up the display for the receiver menu on the monitor.

I recently switched from a PS3 for DVD's to the OPPO BDP-103, along with a Pioneer VSX9040 receiver. The first time I tried my preferred connection (Dual HDMI) between this equipment the surround sound worked fine with regular tv and DVD's but when I tried a BD I no longer had audio. After messing with various inputs between the 3 units I managed to get the surround sound working with a BD of Avatar but when I swap it for the 3D version the surround sound disappears. Anyone have a guess as to why switching from BD to 3D BD would change audio settings? Thanks.
post #17663 of 18071 Old 07-18-2014, 02:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjnaz View Post
"I'm setting up a new BDP-103 with a Sony W850A LED and a Pioneer VSX-9040TXH receiver. I'm currently trying to use the Dual HDMI set-up with HDMI-1 going to the tv and HDMI-2 going to either the receiver's BD HDMI input or just an HDMI input; tried both.

I'm not getting any audio with either a BD or with streaming Netflix. I've gone through the manual and believe I have made all recommended adjustments for video/audio. Regular tv works fine with audio.

Anyone have suggestions on why the audio is not coming through? Will appreciate any help."

I went back to the original connections and checked the receiver for PCM. It was not displayed on the front panel. I have no idea why, but I cannot bring up the display for the receiver menu on the monitor.

I recently switched from a PS3 for DVD's to the OPPO BDP-103, along with a Pioneer VSX9040 receiver. The first time I tried my preferred connection (Dual HDMI) between this equipment the surround sound worked fine with regular tv and DVD's but when I tried a BD I no longer had audio. After messing with various inputs between the 3 units I managed to get the surround sound working with a BD of Avatar but when I swap it for the 3D version the surround sound disappears. Anyone have a guess as to why switching from BD to 3D BD would change audio settings? Thanks.
My guess is that your hdmi cables are not high-speed versions, so their bandwidth maxes out when you try to feed too much data through them. Try different/newer cables. (The one that came with the 103 is fine, but the one between receiver and tv maybe not so much, and any others you may have that you've been using for a long time could be complicating the setup.)
post #17664 of 18071 Old 07-18-2014, 02:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
I have no idea why, but I cannot bring up the display for the receiver menu on the monitor.
Because your TV is set to display what it gets from HDMI-1 output of the Oppo, which you said you're feeding to the TV directly from the Oppo (not going through the AVR)... and not from an HDMI output of the receiver. If you want to see the display output of the AVR on the TV, that requires that there be its own second HDMI connection from AVR to the TV.

So if you want to see the display from the receiver, you'll have to send its own HDMI output to a second HDMI input on the TV (if you're already using one HDMI input on the TV for direct output from the Oppo), and then select that input. Of course you'll now only be seeing what's coming from the AVR, and not what's coming from the Oppo.

Or, to see BOTH Oppo output as well as AVR display output conveniently and all at the same time, you can simply send HDMI-1 out of the Oppo into an HDMI input on the AVR rather than directly to the TV, and then send an HDMI output from the AVR to the TV. Now you'll see both Oppo output as well as AVR display on the TV when selecting that single HDMI input on the TV. Just be sure to set your AVR not to apply any of its own potential video processing to the input coming from the Oppo, and now the image quality results on the TV from the Oppo will be exactly the same as if you'd sent HDMI-1 out of the Oppo directly to the TV.

And if you send HDMI-1 out of the Oppo to the AVR, you no longer need to send HDMI-2 to the AVR (for audio). Disconnect HDMI-2 from the AVR, and now both audio and video from the Oppo will go to the AVR via its HDMI-1 output. The single HDMI output from the AVR to the TV will thus carry both Oppo video as well as potentially AVR display, and the audio provided from the Oppo's HDMI-1 will simply be processed by the AVR and delivered to your sound system.

Last edited by DSperber; 07-18-2014 at 02:25 AM.
post #17665 of 18071 Old 07-18-2014, 03:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
I'm setting up a new BDP-103 with a Sony W850A LED and a Pioneer VSX-9040TXH receiver. I'm currently trying to use the Dual HDMI set-up with HDMI-1 going to the tv and HDMI-2 going to either the receiver's BD HDMI input or just an HDMI input; tried both.

What do you mean "regular TV works fine with audio"?

Do you mean using a second HDMI input to your AVR, fed from the HDMI output from cable/satellite DVR/STB? And then you have an HDMI output from your AVR going to a second HDMI input on the TV (since one HDMI input on the TV is being used for the HDMI-1 output of the Oppo)? And you select that second HDMI input on the TV to watch TV, with picture coming from the DVR/STB through the AVR?

And where is the sound coming from when you watch TV (which you say "works fine")... multi-channel speakers connected to the AVR, or the speakers in the TV? Surely it must be multi-channel speakers, which of course should be delivering sound no matter what source is feeding the AVR.

As far as why you have no sound from the Oppo when it's selected as the source for your AVR (from HDMI-2 out of the Oppo, which should be carrying audio) does your AVR allow manual I/O configuration for audio and video inputs to a conceptual "input"? I mean, if you select "BluRay" as your input on the AVR when trying to play BluRay movies or streaming Netflix on the Oppo, is it still possible to have mis-configured things to be expecting audio from a source other than HDMI coming from HDMI-2 out of the Oppo (e.g. optical input or L/R analog input, neither of which is actually connected to the AVR)?

What is your Audio Format setting on the Oppo? Is it AUTO, or BITSTREAM, or LPCM? Have you tried all three into the AVR?
post #17666 of 18071 Old 07-18-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
And if you send HDMI-1 out of the Oppo to the AVR, you no longer need to send HDMI-2 to the AVR (for audio). Disconnect HDMI-2 from the AVR, and now both audio and video from the Oppo will go to the AVR via its HDMI-1 output. The single HDMI output from the AVR to the TV will thus carry both Oppo video as well as potentially AVR display, and the audio provided from the Oppo's HDMI-1 will simply be processed by the AVR and delivered to your sound system.
While that's true, it's important to know that if playing SACD's, they will be converted to PCM when using HDMI-1. Only HDMI-2 can output DSD. So, if the OP plays a lot of SACD's, then the dual setup is definitely preferred.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #17667 of 18071 Old 07-18-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 129
^ If your setup is done correctly, there shouldn't be any difference between the sound of DSD direct and PCM converted.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #17668 of 18071 Old 07-18-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ If your setup is done correctly, there shouldn't be any difference between the sound of DSD direct and PCM converted.
If so, that would simplify my setup. I read through a few threads here on AVS, and pretty much read "always use DSD for SACD. Always!" so that's why I set mine up with split outputs.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #17669 of 18071 Old 07-18-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post
My guess is that your hdmi cables are not high-speed versions, so their bandwidth maxes out when you try to feed too much data through them. Try different/newer cables. (The one that came with the 103 is fine, but the one between receiver and tv maybe not so much, and any others you may have that you've been using for a long time could be complicating the setup.)
Thanks for the reply. I'm using 2 brand new Hi-Speed HDMI cables ("HDMI w/Ethernet/3D & 4K Ultra HD") along with the HDMI that came wth the OPPO.

I currently have the Direct TV box connected to the OPPO input, the OPPO HDMI 1 connected directly to the tv and OPPO HDMI 2 connected to the receiver BD input. I 'believe' the Pioneer VSX 9040TXH receiver is not 3d compatible....the reason I'm trying the Dual HDMI / Split A/V connection.
post #17670 of 18071 Old 07-18-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
Because your TV is set to display what it gets from HDMI-1 output of the Oppo, which you said you're feeding to the TV directly from the Oppo (not going through the AVR)... and not from an HDMI output of the receiver. If you want to see the display output of the AVR on the TV, that requires that there be its own second HDMI connection from AVR to the TV.

So if you want to see the display from the receiver, you'll have to send its own HDMI output to a second HDMI input on the TV (if you're already using one HDMI input on the TV for direct output from the Oppo), and then select that input. Of course you'll now only be seeing what's coming from the AVR, and not what's coming from the Oppo.
I should have mentioned, there is also an HDMI from the AVR Out to the tv but when I select either one of the tv inputs to display the AVR menu the AVR panel shows "not available".

I will try some of your connection suggestions. I believe my AVR is not 3D compatible and that is why I used OPPO's recommended Dual HDMI Split A/V set-up. I will try going straight through the AVR and see if it works with 3D. The current set-up is too confusing with having to select various inputs on more than one device depending on what I want to watch. I'll give an update when I find a satisfactory set-up. Thank you for the help.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page