Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 590 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #17671 of 17696 Old 07-18-2014, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am currently running by HDMI a Tivo mini in to M series Vizio, then out to Denon X1000, and Ethernet connect at the TV for Netflix which cooperates with the AVR, and all is working well. I have an Oppo 103 on the way and am wondering best way to bring this into the mix.

Last edited by 98Harley; 07-18-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17672 of 17696 Old 07-19-2014, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Kinda figured I would just run HDMI from Tivo box to Oppo In, then from Oppo Out to Denon HDMI In Blu Ray, and leave everything else as it is. But after reading some of what I have here I'm starting to wonder and I'm pretty new to all this, your advice appreciated and thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg electronics_avreceivers_denon_x1000_back.jpg (86.1 KB, 13 views)
post #17673 of 17696 Old 07-19-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjnaz View Post
The current set-up is too confusing with having to select various inputs on more than one device depending on what I want to watch. I'll give an update when I find a satisfactory set-up. Thank you for the help.
Don't let it get to you.

D* HDMI out to Oppo HDMI in. Oppo HDMI 1 out to TV. Oppo HDMI 2 out to AVR BD in. It really is that easy. You will not get 3D by running one HDMI out of the Oppo to your AVR. If the split A/V connections don't get you 3D audio/video, then I don't believe your receiver is compatible.

The AVR HDMI out to TV HDMI in should allow you to see the on screen menu. You will find that by toggling through your TV inputs, not your AVR inputs.

Last edited by Aliens; 07-19-2014 at 07:30 AM.
post #17674 of 17696 Old 07-19-2014, 07:34 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ If your setup is done correctly, there shouldn't be any difference between the sound of DSD direct and PCM converted.
Yes, well, there's the rub. Isn't it?
post #17675 of 17696 Old 07-19-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Yes, well, there's the rub. Isn't it?
So, what *is* properly set up? If running everything through HDMI1, there aren't a whole lot of options, so how can it be done wrong?

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #17676 of 17696 Old 07-20-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Lock Up with Django Unchained?

Has anyone had their Oppo player lock up with the Django bluray?

Twice last night the disc completely froze and I couldn't skip past it.
All that would work was stop but then the player was frozen, couldn't eject or play or anything except power off.

Really frustrating when you have people over watching.
This is the first time this has happened for me.

Also when it was over and I stopped the disc, it wouldn't eject. I had to power off and then eject it.

Firmware issue maybe?

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
post #17677 of 17696 Old 07-20-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post
Has anyone had their Oppo player lock up with the Django bluray?

Twice last night the disc completely froze and I couldn't skip past it.
All that would work was stop but then the player was frozen, couldn't eject or play or anything except power off.

Really frustrating when you have people over watching.
This is the first time this has happened for me.

Also when it was over and I stopped the disc, it wouldn't eject. I had to power off and then eject it.

Firmware issue maybe?
Most common reason would be a dirty or defective disc. Not all issues are visible on the disc.
post #17678 of 17696 Old 07-20-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Most common reason would be a dirty or defective disc. Not all issues are visible on the disc.
The disc was spotless. Hopefully just defective. Thanks.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
post #17679 of 17696 Old 07-20-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I did a search but did not see this issue listed. For about a week, my Oppo 103 has been starting in Pure Audio mode, I have to push the "P" button twice to see the screen. This also happens when the source is changed. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I updated to the latest firmware after this issue started thinking something may have happened to the firmware, but it is still coming up in Pure Audio mode.

Any help is appreciated.

Best,
Ed
post #17680 of 17696 Old 07-20-2014, 02:41 PM

Double Post

Last edited by EdBag4; 07-20-2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Double post
post #17681 of 17696 Old 07-20-2014, 04:26 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBag4 View Post
I did a search but did not see this issue listed. For about a week, my Oppo 103 has been starting in Pure Audio mode, I have to push the "P" button twice to see the screen. This also happens when the source is changed. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I updated to the latest firmware after this issue started thinking something may have happened to the firmware, but it is still coming up in Pure Audio mode.

Any help is appreciated.

Best,
Ed
OK, a couple basic questions here:

1) Are you sure this is Pure Mode? In particular, is the Front Panel Display text going to black as well, and does that then come back after you press Pure twice? If only the Video is going to black, that's a different issue entirely, with different steps to diagnose and cure it. (NOTE: There is a Setup setting to keep the Front Panel blacked out. If you've selected that, the Front Panel will light up, but only briefly, when you do something with the remote.)

2) Did you do a Reset after doing the firmware update?

If you are only losing video, then the fact that it comes back after you press Pure twice may just be coincidence -- i.e., video muting during a long HDMI handshake, may clear away in the couple seconds it takes for you to press Pure twice.

Typically loss of video is due to an issue with the HDMI handshake, and you address that by checking cable quality among other steps.

If the player really is going into Pure Mode then you should start with a complete Reset of the player. NOTE: Since you've got the latest firmware installed, you can save and restore Setup settings via a USB stick which makes this go faster. See Setup > Device Setup > Settings Management.

1) Remove any disc. Either jot down your Setup settings or save them to a USB stick.

2) In Setup > Device Setup, Erase Persistent Storage

3) In Setup > Device Setup, Reset Factory Defaults. You can use the choice that preserves account settings.

4) After that completes, power down the player.

5) Pull the power plug for about 10 seconds. This forces the player to do a complete reboot of its lowest level circuitry.

6) Plug back in and power up.

At this point, i.e., with the Factory settings still in place, check to see if your Pure mode problem still exists. If it does -- and if the Front Panel is also going to black, indication this really is Pure Mode -- then your player probably needs Warranty service. Give OPPO Tech Support a call. If the problem does NOT exist then continue:

7) Re-enter your settings, or restore them from the USB stick

8) Power down the player one more time. Settings are saved during the power down cycle.

Check again to see if the problem is still cured.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17682 of 17696 Old 07-20-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
OK, a couple basic questions here:

1) Are you sure this is Pure Mode? In particular, is the Front Panel Display text going to black as well, and does that then come back after you press Pure twice? If only the Video is going to black, that's a different issue entirely, with different steps to diagnose and cure it. (NOTE: There is a Setup setting to keep the Front Panel blacked out. If you've selected that, the Front Panel will light up, but only briefly, when you do something with the remote.)

2) Did you do a Reset after doing the firmware update?

If you are only losing video, then the fact that it comes back after you press Pure twice may just be coincidence -- i.e., video muting during a long HDMI handshake, may clear away in the couple seconds it takes for you to press Pure twice.

Typically loss of video is due to an issue with the HDMI handshake, and you address that by checking cable quality among other steps.

If the player really is going into Pure Mode then you should start with a complete Reset of the player. NOTE: Since you've got the latest firmware installed, you can save and restore Setup settings via a USB stick which makes this go faster. See Setup > Device Setup > Settings Management.

1) Remove any disc. Either jot down your Setup settings or save them to a USB stick.

2) In Setup > Device Setup, Erase Persistent Storage

3) In Setup > Device Setup, Reset Factory Defaults. You can use the choice that preserves account settings.

4) After that completes, power down the player.

5) Pull the power plug for about 10 seconds. This forces the player to do a complete reboot of its lowest level circuitry.

6) Plug back in and power up.

At this point, i.e., with the Factory settings still in place, check to see if your Pure mode problem still exists. If it does -- and if the Front Panel is also going to black, indication this really is Pure Mode -- then your player probably needs Warranty service. Give OPPO Tech Support a call. If the problem does NOT exist then continue:

7) Re-enter your settings, or restore them from the USB stick

8) Power down the player one more time. Settings are saved during the power down cycle.

Check again to see if the problem is still cured.
--Bob
Bob, thanks for the detailed response, much appreciated. When I update firmware I do the full reset and power down as well.

I believe your question whether or not it is in Pure Audio is a good one, I believe I am having an issue with my Monoprice 30' Redmere cable. The "Pure Audio" issue started about a week ago, today in what I thought to be an unrelated issue, I started getting "source detect" dropouts on the projector. I plugged my laptop into the projector with a 3' cable and no dropouts (I had previously verified that it was happening regardless of the source equip.) so the cable it is!

I don't know what happened to the cable but it appears to be getting progressively worse which I find odd for digital.

Thanks again for the response.

Best,
Ed

Last edited by EdBag4; 07-20-2014 at 06:16 PM.
post #17683 of 17696 Old 07-20-2014, 06:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Quote:
The disc was spotless. Hopefully just defective. Thanks.
A spotless disk can still need cleaning even if it's the first time it's been played. Also a spotless disk can be defective because of a fault in it's manufacture. The optical drive in your OPPO can also need cleaning.

I'm not saying that any of these problems are what you've encountered but they need to be checked.

It's less likely that it's a firmware problem because the movie you're having a problem with isn't a new release.
post #17684 of 17696 Old 07-20-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
A spotless disk can still need cleaning even if it's the first time it's been played. Also a spotless disk can be defective because of a fault in it's manufacture. The optical drive in your OPPO can also need cleaning..
Doesn't seem to be the disc. I put it in today again and had no problems.
Hopefully just a one time thing..

Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
post #17685 of 17696 Old 07-20-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Then your problem is a glitch which is way beyond my pay grade (0).
Done Deal DR likes this.
post #17686 of 17696 Old 07-20-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Then your problem is a glitch which is way beyond my pay grade (0).
The dreaded INTERMITTENT glitch!!!

Oy vey!!!

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #17687 of 17696 Old 07-20-2014, 07:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBag4 View Post
Bob, thanks for the detailed response, much appreciated. When I update firmware I do the full reset and power down as well.

I believe your question whether or not it is in Pure Audio is a good one, I believe I am having an issue with my Monoprice 30' Redmere cable. The "Pure Audio" issue started about a week ago, today in what I thought to be an unrelated issue, I started getting "source detect" dropouts on the projector. I plugged my laptop into the projector with a 3' cable and no dropouts (I had previously verified that it was happening regardless of the source equip.) so the cable it is!

I don't know what happened to the cable but it appears to be getting progressively worse which I find odd for digital.

Thanks again for the response.

Best,
Ed
A Redmere technology cable has an active circuit in the plug at one end. First, that means these cables are directional -- you have to be sure you have it plugged in the correct way around. And Second, any electronics can fail, so your cable may simply have a fault in the active circuit.
--Bob
mhobart likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17688 of 17696 Old 07-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
It's possible the laser lens picked up a bit of dust that has since gotten dislodged during further playback or the act of changing the disc.
--Bob

post #17689 of 17696 Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
A Redmere technology cable has an active circuit in the plug at one end. First, that means these cables are directional -- you have to be sure you have it plugged in the correct way around. And Second, any electronics can fail, so your cable may simply have a fault in the active circuit.
--Bob
While Redmere is directional, it does support ARC.
post #17690 of 17696 Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
While Redmere is directional, it does support ARC.
Yep. Go figur.... Presumably it's not an issue because the ARC audio is so low bandwidth compared to the normal HDMI video usage.

A more interesting question is whether all the Redmere cables out there will become obsolete when HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 descend on an unsuspecting public.
--Bob

post #17691 of 17696 Old Yesterday, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
bd103 subtitle issue

i can't tell if this is the oppo or the disc i'm playing.
I have "the collected shorts of jan svankmajer'. One of the shorts has the option of subtitles on/off.
when i turn them on, they are 2/3 off the bottom of the screen so i can't read them!
If i use the oppo remote to change picture size ie 1/2 zoom etc the picture changes size but the subtitles stay in exactly the same place and never move.
would this be a disc problem or the oppo??
post #17692 of 17696 Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Check Setup > Video Setup > Display Settings > Subtitle Shift. You can also adjust this by pressing and holding the Subtitles button on the remote for a few seconds. Then Up/Down arrow to adjust and Select to set that.
--Bob
post #17693 of 17696 Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just got a Samsung Hu9000 and I wanted to possibly add an Oppo 103. How much better is the Oppo vs the Sony S790? Also can I can connect my direct TV box to the Oppo 103? If so, does it help the PQ of cable?
post #17694 of 17696 Old Today, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiPlaneteer View Post
I just got a Samsung Hu9000 and I wanted to possibly add an Oppo 103. How much better is the Oppo vs the Sony S790? Also can I can connect my direct TV box to the Oppo 103? If so, does it help the PQ of cable?
Better?
Depends what you think is ''better''.
If you mean picture quality over HDMI, both should be identical.
If you mean the build of the player, the noise it makes when playing discs, the customer support, the native support for all kinds of different discs and video/audio files or the audio quality over analogue : the Oppo wins without a doubt.

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL Quake/Q3 sub / DUNE HD SMART H1 / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)

Last edited by Daffietje; Today at 03:31 AM.
post #17695 of 17696 Old Today, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiPlaneteer View Post
Yes, you can connect your DirecTV box to the 103 and from the comments of others (not me ) who have that setup, it works well.
post #17696 of 17696 Old Today, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Yes, you can connect your DirecTV box to the 103 and from the comments of others (not me ) who have that setup, it works well.
I can confirm this works.
Sometimes there are some problems with the lip sync but simply changing the INPUT on the Oppo to for example Bluray and back again to HDMI input always fixes this.
So no big deal really.

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL Quake/Q3 sub / DUNE HD SMART H1 / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page