Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 591 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #17701 of 17717 Old 07-22-2014, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^ Thank you both especially Bob for the very detailed explanation. That makes perfect sense. I had completely misunderstood how 4:3/16:9 are handled on DVDs.

I wasn't going to use Source Direct for the time being anyways but I am planning to add a separate video processor in the near future mainly for calibration so that was my concern.

Panasonic TC-P60ST30 60 Inch Plasma TV
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray Player
Marantz SR7008 9.2 AV Receiver
Polk Series II Monitor 70s Fronts, CS2 Center, 30s Surrounds/Backs
BIC America F12 Dual Subs
Sony PS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17702 of 17717 Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Don't let it get to you.

D* HDMI out to Oppo HDMI in. Oppo HDMI 1 out to TV. Oppo HDMI 2 out to AVR BD in. It really is that easy. You will not get 3D by running one HDMI out of the Oppo to your AVR. If the split A/V connections don't get you 3D audio/video, then I don't believe your receiver is compatible.

The AVR HDMI out to TV HDMI in should allow you to see the on screen menu. You will find that by toggling through your TV inputs, not your AVR inputs.
The above configuration is what I tried last time, the dual HDMI Split A/V recommended by Oppo. Everything worked, it just seems a bit confusing due to changing inputs on at least two devices to get where I need for tv or BD playback. I now have it like this again and will stick with it.

You're correct, the single HDMI to AVR did not work for 3D. My Pioneer AVR is great for surround sound and music but apparently pre-3D. At least I see no mention of 3D in the manual.

I previously had an AVR OUT to tv HDMI IN but still could not get the AVR on screen display when selecting that input on the tv; said 'not available'. Don't know why that is, but I don't currently need to make any AVR on screen adjustments. The PQ and sound is excellent. Using a new Sony 65W850A LED and very happy with it. Thanks to you, and the many experienced users on the forum for helping out the less technically enthusiastic among us.
post #17703 of 17717 Old Yesterday, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post
Doesn't seem to be the disc. I put it in today again and had no problems.
Hopefully just a one time thing..
Sometimes a 'fly' (particle of long dust) can infiltrate the inside disc tray and land on the disc.
...Happened to me once or twice.

* 'Django Unchained' is a cool/fun flick.
post #17704 of 17717 Old Yesterday, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
It's possible the laser lens picked up a bit of dust that has since gotten dislodged during further playback or the act of changing the disc.
--Bob
Or that.
post #17705 of 17717 Old Yesterday, 12:46 AM

QUESTION: Between the 103 and 103D, which one did Oppo sell the most units?

...I know, it's a tough question, but someone had to asked.
post #17706 of 17717 Old Yesterday, 12:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoclast View Post
I wasn't going to use Source Direct for the time being anyways but I am planning to add a separate video processor in the near future mainly for calibration
I don't understand this thinking. If you do a TV calibration, wouldn't you want it to go through exactly the same video device chain and settings that you will eventually WATCH through? Why would you do your calibration through a device chain and with device settings that eliminated everything you will actually be using when you actually do watch something?

My 103 HDMI-1 output goes through my Yamaha RX-V867 AVR (which supports 3D, so there's no concern), with all video processing in the 867 turned off. HDMI-1 output from the 867 goes to my Panny 65VT50, and HDMI-2 output from the 867 goes to my Sony 34XBR960 (which is another reason I route video from the 103 through the AVR, to support video delivery to two HDTVs). So all video processing is handled within the 103, and none is done by the AVR.

Also, my cable TV DVR HDMI output is sent through the rear HDMI input of the 103. This is another reason I want to use HDMI-1 output from the 103, because I want to be able to utilize the video cleanup/processing capability (and upconversion to 1080p) of the 103 for dealing with 720p/1080i HDTV input from cable. When playing 1080p BluRay discs or streaming 1080p Netflix, there's near-nothing that will happen using HDMI-1 output from the 103, and "near zero" is close enough to Source Direct for 1080p for me. But using the HDMI-1 output path for external cable HDMI input enhances HDTV substantially.

Anyway, when I had both of my TV's calibrated, I specifically had the signal generator's HDMI output go into the front HDMI input of the 103, leaving everything else in place: HDMI-1 out of the 103 into the AVR, HDMI-1 out of the AVR to the HDTVs. In other words I specifically wanted the calibration of the TVs to be done using exactly the same multi-device and signal path chain that would occur when normally watching HDTV or BD discs or Netflix streaming, as when the calibration signal generator was the source device. That allowed the calibration of each HDTV with the signal generator as the source to be such that all of the identical equipment and device settings would still be identical when true source was used... all flowing through the 103 and with HDMI-1 output.

Seems pointless to me to do a calibration through a different device/settings arrangement than what you will actually be watching true content through.
post #17707 of 17717 Old Yesterday, 03:55 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post
I don't understand this thinking. If you do a TV calibration, wouldn't you want it to go through exactly the same video device chain and settings that you will eventually WATCH through? Why would you do your calibration through a device chain and with device settings that eliminated everything you will actually be using when you actually do watch something?
I meant for color calibration using a colorimeter and software with a video processor that has a color management system (CMS) like a Lumagen Radiance or Dvdo Duo.

Panasonic TC-P60ST30 60 Inch Plasma TV
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray Player
Marantz SR7008 9.2 AV Receiver
Polk Series II Monitor 70s Fronts, CS2 Center, 30s Surrounds/Backs
BIC America F12 Dual Subs
Sony PS3
post #17708 of 17717 Old Yesterday, 04:33 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
QUESTION: Between the 103 and 103D, which one did Oppo sell the most units?

...I know, it's a tough question, but someone had to asked.
I don't have actual numbers, but given how much longer the 103 has been on the market (and the lower price), I think it's safe to assume that they have sold many more 103's so far.
post #17709 of 17717 Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Sometimes a 'fly' (particle of long dust) can infiltrate the inside disc tray and land on the disc.
...Happened to me once or twice.
Unfortunately I had another 2 lock ups last night watching World War Z at approximately 47 minutes and 93 minutes (The Django lock ups were at 15 and 30 minutes).
The screen froze and the disc was completely unresponsive. Had to power off and reload, again I had friends over . It played through those scenes the second time without a hitch.

I did watch Kick Ass 2 in between watching Django and WWZ with no problems.

I'm thinking maybe the Oppo is overheating?

Is there a way to clean the laser if their is dust?

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer

Last edited by Kamikaze13; Yesterday at 07:29 AM.
post #17710 of 17717 Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 796
^ Give OPPO Tech Support a call and let them walk through the options with you. It's possible your player needs Warranty service. They can explain options for cleaning the laser lens as well.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17711 of 17717 Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Give OPPO Tech Support a call and let them walk through the options with you. It's possible your player needs Warranty service. They can explain options for cleaning the laser lens as well.
--Bob
Thanks that was my next move.

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
post #17712 of 17717 Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ip manual setting

I am trying to use a manual ip setting and can not figure out how to enter a DNS # that is two digits and then a period etc with the remote. Can it be done. Thanks ron
post #17713 of 17717 Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM

New 4K HVEC Encoding for Oppo Apps ?

I own the Oppo 103, was tempted to purchase the 103-D for 4K upscaling..... Now I'm wondering if I should just wait for the new HVEC H.265 encoding to be added by Oppo to its Netflix app, like the new 4K TV's are doing.... Thus, I'd use the Oppo player as my 4K streamer on my SONY 4K TV lacking the new HVEC encoding....

Do we know if or when Oppo would move forward with the new 4K encoding available now ?.... Or will they just wait for the 4K disc standards to be decided at the end of 2014 before they do this ?....

Don't wish to purchase the SONY 4K "X10" Player if I can get Oppo's version instead....

Thanks !
post #17714 of 17717 Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post
Unfortunately I had another 2 lock ups last night watching World War Z at approximately 47 minutes and 93 minutes (The Django lock ups were at 15 and 30 minutes).
The screen froze and the disc was completely unresponsive. Had to power off and reload, again I had friends over . It played through those scenes the second time without a hitch.

I did watch Kick Ass 2 in between watching Django and WWZ with no problems.

I'm thinking maybe the Oppo is overheating?

Is there a way to clean the laser if their is dust?
Try this:

a) Unplug your 103's power cord and plug it back (from the wall, or your surge protector bar).

b) Unplug both HDMI cables from both ends (103 and projector and receiver) and plug them back.

* Your 103 is not overheating, and I highly doubt that you need to clean the laser lens.
It is most likely a minor shaking-hand issue. I had the same experience @ the beginning with my 103.
It did that for perhaps three or five times before it stabilized by itself. I did like you did; powered it off and back on again.
post #17715 of 17717 Old Today, 04:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario315 View Post
I own the Oppo 103, was tempted to purchase the 103-D for 4K upscaling..... Now I'm wondering if I should just wait for the new HVEC H.265 encoding to be added by Oppo to its Netflix app, like the new 4K TV's are doing.... Thus, I'd use the Oppo player as my 4K streamer on my SONY 4K TV lacking the new HVEC encoding....

Do we know if or when Oppo would move forward with the new 4K encoding available now ?.... Or will they just wait for the 4K disc standards to be decided at the end of 2014 before they do this ?....

Don't wish to purchase the SONY 4K "X10" Player if I can get Oppo's version instead....

Thanks !
Several issues with your question. 1st, your 103 already does 4K scaling. 2nd, there's no reason to assume that Netflix will make 4K streams available to BD players any time soon. Certainly Oppo will be among the last to be bestowed with that gift. 3rd, H.265 decoding requires a complete hardware revision, as does 4K processing. Don't expect to see an all-new Oppo model for a year or more.
post #17716 of 17717 Old Today, 05:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronton3 View Post
I am trying to use a manual ip setting and can not figure out how to enter a DNS # that is two digits and then a period etc with the remote. Can it be done. Thanks ron
Try using zeros to pad the numbers out - so 10.1.1.6 becomes 010.001.001.006
(These ARE numbers, so the two IP addresses above are considered identical)

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
post #17717 of 17717 Old Today, 05:25 AM

That was easy

Thank you so much. ron
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread