post #17731 of 17737 Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffietje View Post
Is it known that the Oppo is clipping the image above 90IRE when the contrast setting is set at its default value of 0 ?
The person who did my ISF calibration on my Panasonic P50GT60 Plasma is saying this.
To not have it clip the image the contrast setting on the Oppo should be set @ -2, according to him.

Any truth to that ?
Extremely unlikely. A large number of 103 owners have OCD for things like that including me. NO ONE in the history of this thread has reported anything like that. Standard practice for calibration is to adjust the contrast on the display using something like the clipping pattern on the Spears & Munsil test disc's as well as setting black level (brightness) on the display before starting the calibration. If using the Oppo to play back test patterns you would never make the adjustment in the Oppo. If you did the calibration results would be wrong for other sources i.e. STB. Has the calibrator ever done a calibration before? Is he from Best Buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17732 of 17737 Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yeah he has done it for years, not from Best Buy. He is from The Netherlands.

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL Quake/Q3 sub / DUNE HD SMART H1 / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
post #17733 of 17737 Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Is it known that the Oppo is clipping the image above 90IRE when the contrast setting is set at its default value of 0 ?
The person who did my ISF calibration on my Panasonic P50GT60 Plasma is saying this.
To not have it clip the image the contrast setting on the Oppo should be set @ -2, according to him.

Any truth to that ?
In the US, the standard method used by professional calibrators is to leave OPPO players in a default state and calibrate the display. If your calibrator has already done the work and you're happy with it, I would say leave it alone.
post #17734 of 17737 Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Yeah he has done it for years, not from Best Buy. He is from The Netherlands.
Its possible you misunderstood, and what was really happening was that your display was clipping if the player was set to "0". Not knowing the specifics of the display or how it was set up makes it impossible to say. In any case, no the player does not clip whites. In fact it outputs WTW if its present in the content.
post #17735 of 17737 Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:

Any truth to that ?
The OPPO 103 does not clip Peak Whites -- unless of course you are using RGB PC Level as your output format, which does clip those by definition.

Either your calibrator got confused or there is a problem in your Display.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Yesterday at 03:45 PM.
post #17736 of 17737 Old Today, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The OPPO 103 does not clip Peak Whites -- unless of course you are using RGB PC Level as your output format, which does clip those by definition.

Either your calibrator got confused or there is a problem in your Display.
--Bob
I told him your reaction. His reaction is :

"Afaik (measured on different Panasonic TV's in the 50/60 series) the Oppo is clipping the CMS if contrast is set to 0. If set to -1 or -2 it is not clipping anymore.
The differences are minimal though."

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL Quake/Q3 sub / DUNE HD SMART H1 / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
post #17737 of 17737 Old Today, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
I told him your reaction. His reaction is :

"Afaik (measured on different Panasonic TV's in the 50/60 series) the Oppo is clipping the CMS if contrast is set to 0. If set to -1 or -2 it is not clipping anymore.
The differences are minimal though."
Hmmm....

I'd be interested to know what this guy has to report about other makes/models of Blu-ray player connected to a Panasonic P50GT60?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page