Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 594 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #17791 of 17812 Old 07-29-2014, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm not averse to trying this, but I need a diagram to have any chance of working this out. I know a similar trick for listening to old mono on vinyl.

Yes, upgrading my headphones is also a way off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17792 of 17812 Old 07-29-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsobar61 View Post
I'm not averse to trying this, but I need a diagram to have any chance of working this out. I know a similar trick for listening to old mono on vinyl.

Yes, upgrading my headphones is also a way off!
I have a great solution for you. Sell the 103 and buy a 105.
post #17793 of 17812 Old 07-29-2014, 11:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 818
^ It's simple. Buy a Y adapter cable -- Radio Shack or online at Monoprice.com -- with a stereo RCA plug pair at one end and a stereo headphones socket at the other end. Costs a few bucks.

Plug the stereo RCA pair into the LF/RF Analog output jacks of the OPPO. Plug your headphones into the other end.

In the OPPO, set the Analog Output Volume to Variable. Use the +/- Volume buttons at the top of the OPPO remote to control Volume. (That won't change the Digital audio Volume to your TV.)

That's it for stereo content. If you are also listening via headphones to Multi-channel content, set Speaker Configuration > Down Mix to Stereo in the OPPO. Again, that won't change the digital audio to your TV.

Should work fine even with no amp in between if your headphones don't require a lot of output level.
--Bob
mhobart likes this.
post #17794 of 17812 Old 07-29-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
escobar61,
Here's an example of the type of relatively cheap, stereo Analog input to Headphones output, Amp that we've been talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-sApII-Pro...KJAM06Y39KA34X

I have no knowledge of this product other than what's shown on that page. I.e., I don't know anything about its audio quality, etc.
--Bob
As long as you keep analog-digital-analog conversions out of the mix, it's not difficult or expensive to have decent quality from a small analog headphone amp. If fact you'd have to try pretty hard to make it sound bad.

Once you throw a $5 DAC chip into it, all bets are off.
ecsobar61 likes this.
post #17795 of 17812 Old 07-29-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I asked about this subject regarding a solution to create playlists for media, notably music files for an external drive plugged into the Oppo 103 via USB on the "other" BD forum and figured I'd also try here. I've spent time searching through various forums but haven't found a real solution.

I know how to use the Oppo's clunky playlist function in the on screen media menu (remote's Green button adds files in order of selection to create ONE playlist) but I have an external drive with literally thousands of individual WAV files and the Oppo has no problem reading the drive and playing the files.... but I want to make multiple playlists ideally on my PC where it's easier to drag, drop and arrange numerous files say, of various ambient songs, another playlist of soundtrack music, another one of hard rock, and so on. Basically like anyone can do in any basic media player like iTunes, Windows Media Player, etc.

I thought I could just copy the file that the Oppo player writes it's playlist to and edit it in notepad to at least tediously add, link and arrange the files to a custom playlist but the Oppo must write and save that file internally on the player's HD instead of on my external drive's "Oppo" folder the player creates when you first access it. I don't even know what type of doc the Playlist file is to create one from scratch.

It was suggested to make CUE playlists so I fiddled around with CUE Master today to try and put together a test playlist but it couldn't accept a file over 6MB w/drag n' dropping. No good as I'm dealing with 16-bit @ 44,100Hz WAV files. Even more muddled results using the "Import/Scan" feature (clumped together files into 30+ minute groups).

It seems like such a simple thing, I'm a bit floored that as versatile as the Oppo players are, importing and editing Playlists doesn't appear to be a doable option. Even an iPad/iPhone App as part of or separate from the Oppo Media Control App that could approximate dragging and dropping files into multiple playlists on a USB-connected Hard Drive to the Oppo player similar to what can be done with iTunes would be a huge step.
post #17796 of 17812 Old 07-29-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ It's simple. Buy a Y adapter cable -- Radio Shack or online at Monoprice.com -- with a stereo RCA plug pair at one end and a stereo headphones socket at the other end. Costs a few bucks.

Plug the stereo RCA pair into the LF/RF Analog output jacks of the OPPO. Plug your headphones into the other end.

In the OPPO, set the Analog Output Volume to Variable. Use the +/- Volume buttons at the top of the OPPO remote to control Volume. (That won't change the Digital audio Volume to your TV.)

That's it for stereo content. If you are also listening via headphones to Multi-channel content, set Speaker Configuration > Down Mix to Stereo in the OPPO. Again, that won't change the digital audio to your TV.

Should work fine even with no amp in between if your headphones don't require a lot of output level.
--Bob
Bob: sorry to be a dunce but the links are not giving me the exact products. I have a couple of male and female Y cables but the female end doesn't fit my headphone jack, if I am doing this right. What size should I be looking at?

This is the one I already have:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/オーディオ分配ケーブル-...KVY598RVZ84KAZ

Maybe this is what I need, something completely different?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3452165

or this?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Techlink-iWi...9+Plug+Y-cable

[I realise this is a stop-gap, so I am looking into a proper headphone amp, but it's going to take a while to decide.]

Last edited by ecsobar61; 07-29-2014 at 06:12 PM.
post #17797 of 17812 Old 07-29-2014, 06:48 PM

Can you explain what you mean by analog-digital-analog conversion here? I basically want to play CDs (digital) on the Oppo and hear them on the headphones (DVD and BD a plus).
post #17798 of 17812 Old 07-29-2014, 06:56 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Can you explain what you mean by analog-digital-analog conversion here? I basically want to play CDs (digital) on the Oppo and hear them on the headphones (DVD and BD a plus).
Since your questions about connecting your headphones are not specific to the OPPO, I'm going to ask that you pursue this in the 2-channel forum: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/

They deal with headphones and amps all the time there and will be able to help you. What you're asking for applies to any player with analog outputs so is off-topic here.

-Bill
post #17799 of 17812 Old 07-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Next, compare the analog stereo outs of the Oppo 103 perfectly volume matched with the analog outs of an Emotiva ERC-2 (or ERC-3) CD player, and playing through the exact same pair of loudspeakers and playing the exact same music recording(s).
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post
Okay- I'll bite. Why would I want to do this?
Hey, look who's biting!

Because, experimentation and comparison is good for the soul. ...Are you now happy that you bit?
post #17800 of 17812 Old 07-29-2014, 07:09 PM

Sure, but this question was simply asking for clarification of something someone added to the mix. I didn't mean to go off-topic. I only have the Oppo. But I'll check out that thread. I think I have almost got my answer, anyway.
post #17801 of 17812 Old 07-29-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Sure, but this question was simply asking for clarification of something someone added to the mix. I didn't mean to go off-topic. I only have the Oppo. But I'll check out that thread. I think I have almost got my answer, anyway.
You'll get the clarification you want, along with more information in the thread that Bill linked for you. Good luck.
post #17802 of 17812 Old 07-29-2014, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Sure, but this question was simply asking for clarification of something someone added to the mix. I didn't mean to go off-topic. I only have the Oppo. But I'll check out that thread.
I think I have almost got my answer, anyway.
Atmos?
post #17803 of 17812 Old 07-29-2014, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anybody heard anything on the upcoming hdmi 2.0 specs for the oppo players.
post #17804 of 17812 Old Yesterday, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post
I asked about this subject regarding a solution to create playlists for media, notably music files for an external drive plugged into the Oppo 103 via USB on the "other" BD forum and figured I'd also try here. I've spent time searching through various forums but haven't found a real solution.

I know how to use the Oppo's clunky playlist function in the on screen media menu (remote's Green button adds files in order of selection to create ONE playlist) but I have an external drive with literally thousands of individual WAV files and the Oppo has no problem reading the drive and playing the files.... but I want to make multiple playlists ideally on my PC where it's easier to drag, drop and arrange numerous files say, of various ambient songs, another playlist of soundtrack music, another one of hard rock, and so on. Basically like anyone can do in any basic media player like iTunes, Windows Media Player, etc.

I thought I could just copy the file that the Oppo player writes it's playlist to and edit it in notepad to at least tediously add, link and arrange the files to a custom playlist but the Oppo must write and save that file internally on the player's HD instead of on my external drive's "Oppo" folder the player creates when you first access it. I don't even know what type of doc the Playlist file is to create one from scratch.

It was suggested to make CUE playlists so I fiddled around with CUE Master today to try and put together a test playlist but it couldn't accept a file over 6MB w/drag n' dropping. No good as I'm dealing with 16-bit @ 44,100Hz WAV files. Even more muddled results using the "Import/Scan" feature (clumped together files into 30+ minute groups).

It seems like such a simple thing, I'm a bit floored that as versatile as the Oppo players are, importing and editing Playlists doesn't appear to be a doable option. Even an iPad/iPhone App as part of or separate from the Oppo Media Control App that could approximate dragging and dropping files into multiple playlists on a USB-connected Hard Drive to the Oppo player similar to what can be done with iTunes would be a huge step.
Why dont you just make playlists in foobar for example? If you save the playlist you made as a .m3u file, I am sure the Oppo can read that?
So just add all the music files you want in the playlist in foobar and save as a playlist file with a name of your choice.
Do the same for the next playlist, and so on.

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL Quake/Q3 sub / DUNE HD SMART H1 / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
post #17805 of 17812 Old Yesterday, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by swspiers View Post
HI all!

Just an update on my experience with the 103. After about 5 months of comparing the analogue out of the 103 into a Burson Soloist headphone amp, and comparing it to the Schiit Bifrost Uber DAC, I finally concluded that there is no audible difference. My final evaluation with a demo pair of Grado GS1000e headphones, which are brutally detailed, was the last straw. Volume matched, I could not tell one from the other.

This darn blu-ray player is something else!
Good thing I read this post now I'll just get the Vali and hook it up to the 103 analog jacks Thanks
post #17806 of 17812 Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 818
Quote:
The OPPO has both Analog and Digital audio outputs. Headphones (like regular speakers) need Analog audio. The content you are playing (e.g., CDs) is Digital audio.

The hardware that converts Digital audio to Analog audio is called a DAC -- a Digital to Analog Converter. More expensive DACs do this job better.

When you listen to the Analog audio outputs of the OPPO, the high quality DACs built into the OPPO are doing that conversion. So all you need between the player and the headphones is cables and, possibly, an Analog audio headphones amp.

When you listen to the Digital audio outputs of the OPPO (HDMI, Optical or Coax), the conversion to Analog must be done external to the player. Volume control ALSO must be done external to the player -- the Volume adjustment in the OPPO only applies to its Analog audio outputs. So to connect to your headphones you need cables and a device which is *BOTH* a DAC and a headphones amp. The point made above is that INEXPENSIVE boxes like that probably don't include particularly good DACs.

So since you want to save money, but still get high quality audio, use the Analog outputs of the OPPO, either cabled directly to your headphones, or, even better, through a good quality Analog headphones amp, perhaps like the one I cited above.

RDGRIMES post was pointing out that you DON'T want to get an inexpensive "digital" amp, which takes Analog audio output from the player, converts that BACK to digital on input, amplifies it using digital audio circuitry, and converts THAT result back to audio with its own DACs. You've thus got two conversion steps being done by that inexpensive hardware and that's just asking for poor quality.

Discussion of particular headphones amps should be taken to the other thread, cited above, where people hang out who follow such stuff.
--Bob
ecsobar61 likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Yesterday at 07:24 AM.
post #17807 of 17812 Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are the Oppos really sensitive to scratches on discs? I have a new DVD that has a couple very light surface scratches that when I play it on my 103 it skips every few seconds during certain times, then it freezes up and the 103 becomes unresponsive for like 20-30 seconds while the drive clicks. Resuming from the same times on the disc also causes the same unresponsive freeze up and the drive clicks.

My PS3 plays the same disc perfectly without issue so I don't think it's the disc.

Panasonic TC-P60ST30 Plasma TV
Oppo BDP-103 \ Sony PS3 \ Marantz CD5004
Marantz SR7008 9.2 AV Receiver
Polk Series II Monitor 70s Fronts, CS2 Center, 30s Surrounds/Backs
BIC America F12 Dual Subs

post #17808 of 17812 Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoclast View Post
Are the Oppos really sensitive to scratches on discs?
I've found their players to be rather good on scratched DVDs.

-Bill
post #17809 of 17812 Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBag4 View Post
I did a search but did not see this issue listed. For about a week, my Oppo 103 has been starting in Pure Audio mode, I have to push the "P" button twice to see the screen. This also happens when the source is changed. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I updated to the latest firmware after this issue started thinking something may have happened to the firmware, but it is still coming up in Pure Audio mode.

Any help is appreciated.

Best,
Ed
I find the Oppo (103 and 105) to be way more sensitive to smudges and scratches to my previous players - PS3 and Sony Blue-ray players

Reggie

Family Room:

70" Sharp Elite/Marantz AV8801/MM8801/GoldenEar Triton Twos-center channel and surrounds/Oppo BDP-105/Directv Genie/Marantz Turntable

Basement: 60" Sony SXRD KDS-60A2000/Marantz AV8003/Marantz MM8003/PSB Stratus Gold Front,Center,Left, Surrounds

post #17810 of 17812 Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronoclast View Post
My PS3 plays the same disc perfectly without issue so I don't think it's the disc.
Damaged discs will always behave differently in different drives, its the nature of the beast. You might well be able to find a different damaged disc that generates the opposite results. But the fact remains that the problem is the disc.
post #17811 of 17812 Old Today, 01:51 AM

Thanks, Bob. That is such a helpful, clear explanation. I'll start looking at the other thread regarding headphone amps. I've just bought the Y-cable, so I may just comment on that when I try it out.
post #17812 of 17812 Old Today, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
FYI, I used a Toshiba 5tb External Drive with the Oppo and it works fine
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread