post #17821 of 17824 Old Today, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustolem View Post
Just got my 103 and can say its awesome best picture and sound I have heard.
But have a question and tried to search for answer but not much luck without reading every post.
This will probably be a dumb question but here goes.
I have connected my Sony 400 Bluray to the HDMI in Rear on my Oppo and when playing back a disc and selecting either the True HD or DTS HD Master audio tracks it only shows as PCM on my receiver which is a Yamaha CX-A5000.
Is this right?
Is the Oppo decoding the audio and that's all the receiver will display? It sounds like it is the full audio just thought it would show the chosen Decoder on my Yamaha display.

Like I said may be a dumb question but any help would be appreciated.
And I can't believe how much better the video looks from my Sony going through the Oppo.

Thanks
- Sony BD player Audio HDMI Out = Bitstream.
- Oppo BD player Audio HDMI In = ...
- Oppo BD player Audio HDMI Out = PCM (converted uncompressed).

I think it's right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17822 of 17824 Old Today, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustolem View Post
This will probably be a dumb question but here goes.
I have connected my Sony 400 Bluray to the HDMI in Rear on my Oppo and when playing back a disc and selecting either the True HD or DTS HD Master audio tracks it only shows as PCM on my receiver which is a Yamaha CX-A5000.
Is this right? Is the Oppo decoding the audio and that's all the receiver will display? It sounds like it is the full audio just thought it would show the chosen Decoder on my Yamaha display.

Thanks
The Oppo 10x players can't decode Dolby True-HD or DTS-HD on their hdmi inputs.
post #17823 of 17824 Old Today, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 118
^ Dan is correct.
If the Sony has an option to send PCM instead of bitstream, that would be the option you want to use for lossless codecs into the Oppo's hdmi input.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #17824 of 17824 Old Today, 07:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 820
^ You can use the on-screen Info display on the OPPO to see what's coming in from the Sony. Since the OPPO can't accept that Bitstream typically the source Blu-ray player would decode that into LPCM and send that to the OPPO. Which also means the OPPO will output LPCM.

The trick here is figuring out if the Sony is decoding the full, lossless track into LPCM, or whether it is decoding the lossy "compatibility" track. That choice is based on how the Sony is designed, along with possibly some user settings in the Sony such as whether Secondary Audio mixing is enabled in it.

The easiest way to tell is to play a TrueHD or DTS-HD MA track which is 7.1, because the compatibility tracks are always no more than 5.1.

If the Sony is sending LPCM 7.1, then it is decoding the full, lossless track. If instead it is sending LPCM 5.1, then it is not. Again the OPPO's Info display will show what is coming in from the Sony.
--Bob
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread