AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustolem View Post
Just got my 103 and can say its awesome best picture and sound I have heard.
But have a question and tried to search for answer but not much luck without reading every post.
This will probably be a dumb question but here goes.
I have connected my Sony 400 Bluray to the HDMI in Rear on my Oppo and when playing back a disc and selecting either the True HD or DTS HD Master audio tracks it only shows as PCM on my receiver which is a Yamaha CX-A5000.
Is this right?
Is the Oppo decoding the audio and that's all the receiver will display? It sounds like it is the full audio just thought it would show the chosen Decoder on my Yamaha display.

Like I said may be a dumb question but any help would be appreciated.
And I can't believe how much better the video looks from my Sony going through the Oppo.

Thanks
- Sony BD player Audio HDMI Out = Bitstream.
- Oppo BD player Audio HDMI In = ...
- Oppo BD player Audio HDMI Out = PCM (converted uncompressed).

I think it's right.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17822 of 18352 Old 08-01-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustolem View Post
This will probably be a dumb question but here goes.
I have connected my Sony 400 Bluray to the HDMI in Rear on my Oppo and when playing back a disc and selecting either the True HD or DTS HD Master audio tracks it only shows as PCM on my receiver which is a Yamaha CX-A5000.
Is this right? Is the Oppo decoding the audio and that's all the receiver will display? It sounds like it is the full audio just thought it would show the chosen Decoder on my Yamaha display.

Thanks
The Oppo 10x players can't decode Dolby True-HD or DTS-HD on their hdmi inputs.
lanping09 likes this.
post #17823 of 18352 Old 08-01-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 133
^ Dan is correct.
If the Sony has an option to send PCM instead of bitstream, that would be the option you want to use for lossless codecs into the Oppo's hdmi input.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #17824 of 18352 Old 08-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 868
^ You can use the on-screen Info display on the OPPO to see what's coming in from the Sony. Since the OPPO can't accept that Bitstream typically the source Blu-ray player would decode that into LPCM and send that to the OPPO. Which also means the OPPO will output LPCM.

The trick here is figuring out if the Sony is decoding the full, lossless track into LPCM, or whether it is decoding the lossy "compatibility" track. That choice is based on how the Sony is designed, along with possibly some user settings in the Sony such as whether Secondary Audio mixing is enabled in it.

The easiest way to tell is to play a TrueHD or DTS-HD MA track which is 7.1, because the compatibility tracks are always no more than 5.1.

If the Sony is sending LPCM 7.1, then it is decoding the full, lossless track. If instead it is sending LPCM 5.1, then it is not. Again the OPPO's Info display will show what is coming in from the Sony.
--Bob
post #17825 of 18352 Old 08-02-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hey guys, I know the 103 does a vertical stretch for an anamorphic compression lens on a 2.35:1 screen.

My question is does the 103 do a horizontal squeeze for 16:9 content through an A-lens on a 2.35:1 screen?
post #17826 of 18352 Old 08-02-2014, 06:17 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 868
^ It does not. Of course a squeeze like that throws away horizontal resolution.
--Bob
post #17827 of 18352 Old 08-02-2014, 06:18 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Man View Post
Hey guys, I know the 103 does a vertical stretch for an anamorphic compression lens on a 2.35:1 screen.

My question is does the 103 do a horizontal squeeze for 16:9 content through an A-lens on a 2.35:1 screen?
No. The vertical stretch is the only zoom mode that changes aspect ratio. Retaining 1:1 pixel dimensions, there is a Full Screen mode that will crop images to 16:9, and it has a couple of zoom out levels to reduce image size.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #17828 of 18352 Old 08-02-2014, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
No. The vertical stretch is the only zoom mode that changes aspect ratio. Retaining 1:1 pixel dimensions, there is a Full Screen mode that will crop images to 16:9, and it has a couple of zoom out levels to reduce image size.

-Bill
Didn't Oppo used to offer full aspect ratio control for A-lens scaling for folks that leave the A-lens in place all the time? I'm trying to avoid buying an external scaler. My new PJ coming on Monday doesn't do all the scaling that my old one did.
post #17829 of 18352 Old 08-02-2014, 06:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Man View Post
Didn't Oppo used to offer full aspect ratio control for A-lens scaling for folks that leave the A-lens in place all the time? I'm trying to avoid buying an external scaler. My new PJ coming on Monday doesn't do all the scaling that my old one did.
No, as far as I know full control is available only in video processor products. No OPPO player has had that.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #17830 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 08:06 AM

Liked: 0
Newbie Help

Dear All,

Would really appreciate if you can help me out with the following.

Just got and Oppo103 and am having some problems playing ripped Blu-Ray's and DVD's. For example I had used MakeMKV on CaptianPhillips Blu-Ray and then compressed it using Handbrake (down to about 8GB) - during this process i kept most of the surround sound tracks. Now it played fine on my WDTV Live box, but on the OPPO is stutters, speeds up and then slows down, these effects are greatly magnified when i switch from 2 channel to one of the surround sound tracks.

Any ideas?

Thanks

John

Last edited by johnallan44; 08-03-2014 at 08:15 AM.
post #17831 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnallan44 View Post
Dear All,

Would really appreciate if you can help me out with the following.

Just got and Oppo103 and am having some problems playing ripped Blu-Ray's and DVD's. For example I had used MakeMKV on CaptianPhillips Blu-Ray and then compressed it using Handbrake (down to about 8GB) - during this process i kept most of the surround sound tracks. Now it played fine on my WDTV Live box, but on the OPPO is stutters, speeds up and then slows down, these effects are greatly magnified when i switch from 2 channel to one of the surround sound tracks.

Any ideas?

Thanks

John
It would help immensely to know how it is that you are playing the file - how its accessed. If by network, what kind of network?
post #17832 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 10:17 AM

Dear Rdgrimes
Sorry. Files on a WD NAS connecting to a ASUS Router then to OPPO, all wired cat 5 - I believe its all Gigabit stuff. On the oppo i access via 'TwonkyMediaServer'. I had thought it might be a network issues as well, but I'm running uncompressed Blu-Rays on the same network and they run with no problems at all.
John
post #17833 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Dear Rdgrimes
Sorry. Files on a WD NAS connecting to a ASUS Router then to OPPO, all wired cat 5 - I believe its all Gigabit stuff. On the oppo i access via 'TwonkyMediaServer'. I had thought it might be a network issues as well, but I'm running uncompressed Blu-Rays on the same network and they run with no problems at all.
John
I've got the same setup (with a 103D), but running uncompressed and have had no problems. It might help if you use a tool like Mediainfo to post the particulars on the file(s) that are not running.

I've attached the information posted for an MKV file that shows fine on my setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mkvshot.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	194905  
post #17834 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 12:33 PM

Dear hernanu,

I have posted a txt file from Mediainfo, I hope it makes more sense to you than it does to me.
John
Attached Files
File Type: txt ProExample.txt (6.3 KB, 27 views)
post #17835 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 12:55 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Dear hernanu,

I have posted a txt file from Mediainfo, I hope it makes more sense to you than it does to me.
John
Welcome to AVSForum.

I do the same as you except (1) I use MKV output, and (2) constant frame rate, where I see you have variable.

As an experiment, I would copy one of your files to local storage (a USB device, for example) and see if the behavior changes when attached directly to the player.

Then I would use mkvmerge to produce an MKV copy of your M4V and see if the container makes a difference. Try it both ways: network and local attachment.

Then I would try recreating the same file with constant frame rate.

-Bill
johnallan44 likes this.

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #17836 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I agree with Bill. I use MKV as a container as well.
post #17837 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Dear Rdgrimes
John
Aside from what others have suggested, its also possible that for some reason Twonky is trying to transcode the files. Transcoding should be completely disabled. However, you can also access the files directly using SMB and eliminate the DNLA server.
post #17838 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I've had zero issues doing the same thing, using Plex and/or Servio as my DLNA servers..maybe try installing one of those? You can actually install Servio on the WD directly, but plex goes on one of your networked PC's, as there is no way to install Plex natively on a WD as far as I know..
post #17839 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I am having constant trouble streaming music from my Windows 7 PC via the Oppo 103. I choose the network icon, and there is a list of the media servers on my network, including oShare. I choose oShare, and after the program is done indexing the files, I choose a folder and start to play the files in it. After the first file or two, the Oppo will jump back to the list of media servers. Sometimes it will jump back to that list in the middle of a song. And there are times when it locks up and shows "Loading..." on my display.

I am pretty sure the problem isn't caused by Oppo (the same thing happens when i stream music with my Denon AVR), but I can't figure out what to do about it.

I am using oShare as my media server. The Oppo 103 is connected to my home network via Ethernet, and the PC is wireless (in the next room, with a strong network signal). Oppo suggested disabling my antivrus software (doesn't consistently help, and I don't want to risk getting infected) or downloading a fresh copy of oShare (made no difference). My wireless router has the latest firmware installed.

When I asked this question here before, someone guessed that maybe packets were getting dropped--I don't know how to tell if this is true, but if there is nothing else accessing the network but the Oppo (or the AVR), why would this happen??

So I am open to any ideas you might have...

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #17840 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 02:12 PM

Dear all,
Thank you for you suggestions, I will try them and get back to you.
John
post #17841 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
I am having constant trouble streaming music from my Windows 7 PC via the Oppo 103. I choose the network icon, and there is a list of the media servers on my network, including oShare. I choose oShare, and after the program is done indexing the files, I choose a folder and start to play the files in it. After the first file or two, the Oppo will jump back to the list of media servers. Sometimes it will jump back to that list in the middle of a song. And there are times when it locks up and shows "Loading..." on my display.

I am pretty sure the problem isn't caused by Oppo (the same thing happens when i stream music with my Denon AVR), but I can't figure out what to do about it.

I am using oShare as my media server. The Oppo 103 is connected to my home network via Ethernet, and the PC is wireless (in the next room, with a strong network signal). Oppo suggested disabling my antivrus software (doesn't consistently help, and I don't want to risk getting infected) or downloading a fresh copy of oShare (made no difference). My wireless router has the latest firmware installed.

When I asked this question here before, someone guessed that maybe packets were getting dropped--I don't know how to tell if this is true, but if there is nothing else accessing the network but the Oppo (or the AVR), why would this happen??

So I am open to any ideas you might have...
Have you adjusted any firewalls you have on the computer to let the oppo/DLNA server access everything? Have you tried a different DLNA server?

I would stream the music directly through the Denon; there is no reason to run music through the Oppo..
post #17842 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Have you adjusted any firewalls you have on the computer to let the oppo/DLNA server access everything? Have you tried a different DLNA server?

I would stream the music directly through the Denon; there is no reason to run music through the Oppo..
Yes, the firewall is set to let oShare access everything. Yes, I have tried a different DLNA server (Asset uPnp).

Streaming directly through the Denon does not stop the problem. And one reason to stream through the Oppo is that it will stream DSD files, the Denon won't.

post #17843 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, the firewall is set to let oShare access everything. Yes, I have tried a different DLNA server (Asset uPnp).

Streaming directly through the Denon does not stop the problem. And one reason to stream through the Oppo is that it will stream DSD files, the Denon won't.

turn the firewall off completely, reboot EVERYTHING, especially your router and any switches, and see if that makes a difference. I think you said the computer is on wireless, but the rest of the equipment is wired; try Ethernet wiring your computer too, and see if that helps..
post #17844 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
turn the firewall off completely, reboot EVERYTHING, especially your router and any switches, and see if that makes a difference. I think you said the computer is on wireless, but the rest of the equipment is wired; try Ethernet wiring your computer too, and see if that helps..
When I reboot everything, I generally get the problem again. It doesn't happen every time I stream a music file, but about 80% of the time.

I can't connect my computer to the network via ethernet without drilling holes in the walls--it's in the next room from the router and my music system.

If what's required is to turn off the firewall, then I give up. Do I really have to risk infecting my PC in order to stream music files? It doesn't seem worth the risk. And is everyone streaming music files from PCs with no firewall???

I would appreciate any suggestions for actually tracking down what is causing the problem instead of trying extreme solutions like eliminating internet security...

post #17845 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 04:11 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
When I reboot everything, I generally get the problem again. It doesn't happen every time I stream a music file, but about 80% of the time.

I can't connect my computer to the network via ethernet without drilling holes in the walls--it's in the next room from the router and my music system.

If what's required is to turn off the firewall, then I give up. Do I really have to risk infecting my PC in order to stream music files? It doesn't seem worth the risk. And is everyone streaming music files from PCs with no firewall???

I would appreciate any suggestions for actually tracking down what is causing the problem instead of trying extreme solutions like eliminating internet security...
Regarding drilling holes in the walls, there is the option of temporarily just running a long network cable between the rooms. After doing that, you could run some tests and see if the problem goes away or remains - that would help eliminate 1 possible culprit.

As far as turning off the firewall, you could temporarily disconnect your router from the Internet and then (temporarily) turn off your firewall software in order to run some tests with it turned off.

The point is that some of these suggestions are diagnostic steps to help figure out what is causing the problem rather than a permanent configuration. Once the problem has been identified, a permanent solution can be determined.
wase4711 and DanF8500 like this.
post #17846 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Truly Hi-Rez Downloads???

For those of us who think Hi-Rez downloads are truly High Resolution(24b/96 kHz and 24b/192kHz) are in for a shock! The spectrograph of a music sample below shows a very sharp brick wall filter at 16kHz, then another at 22kHz implying that the original soundtrack was recorded as a low resolution MP3 then up-sampled to the CD sampling rate of 44.1kHz (hence the 22KHz filter).

The download website (HDTracks) says its not their fault and that they simply distribute whatever music they get from the recording studios. Fair enough I say, but this has put a clout on all music downloads labeled as high resolution. Buyers beware...

ultra high end review dot com / another-rip-off-from-hdtracks/

Sorry ...I seem to have trouble inserting links on this site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beck_spectagraph.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	195281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Disclaimer.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	195329  

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:

Last edited by dmusoke; 08-03-2014 at 04:57 PM.
post #17847 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Regarding drilling holes in the walls, there is the option of temporarily just running a long network cable between the rooms. After doing that, you could run some tests and see if the problem goes away or remains - that would help eliminate 1 possible culprit.

As far as turning off the firewall, you could temporarily disconnect your router from the Internet and then (temporarily) turn off your firewall software in order to run some tests with it turned off.

The point is that some of these suggestions are diagnostic steps to help figure out what is causing the problem rather than a permanent configuration. Once the problem has been identified, a permanent solution can be determined.

Agree 1000%; don't be afraid to turn off your firewall for an hour while you diagnose and trouble shoot this issue. What OS are you using on your PC? Have you turned on the appropriate permissions, in Windows itself?
post #17848 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
For those of us who think Hi-Rez downloads are truly High Resolution(24b/96 kHz and 24b/192kHz) are in for a shock! The spectrograph of a music sample below shows a very sharp brick wall filter at 16kHz, then another at 22kHz implying that the original soundtrack was recorded as a low resolution MP3 then up-sampled to the CD sampling rate of 44.1kHz (hence the 22KHz filter).

The download website (HDTracks) says its not their fault and that they simply distribute whatever music they get from the recording studios. Fair enough I say, but this has put a clout on all music downloads labeled as high resolution. Buyers beware...

It's off topic to this thread, but yes you are correct.
There are other forums out there where these things are discussed in more detail
and even rate thousands of recordings based on their quality so you hopefully don't make the mistake of paying
hi-res prices for up-sampled crap.
scott_bernstein likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #17849 of 18352 Old 08-03-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 1121 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Thank you for sharing good info , even if some of us already knew it. ...Many still don't know.

* Ultra High-End Audio and Home Theater Review ... is banned.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-03-2014 at 07:31 PM.
post #17850 of 18352 Old 08-04-2014, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
and even rate thousands of recordings based on their quality so you hopefully don't make the mistake of paying
hi-res prices for up-sampled crap.
Would like to know where I can find this.
If it is too much off topic I would appreciate it if you can PM me the info.
Thanks!

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page