291Likes

post #17911 of 19430 Old 08-14-2014, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Oppo HDMI: Best Connetion Method

Dear All,

I need some advice on the following issue(?) which I was advised is because of my OPPO103.

Firstly I have an OPPO103, an Anthem 310 MRX and a Panasonic TX-P60ZT65 Plasma TV. All of which I just got a few week ago and have been ironing out bugs ever since.

They were connected in the following manner, please see sketch [old.gif]. I had the OPPO set to split AV.

Now I was intermittently having problem with the Anthem saying 'No Signal' or going 'MUTE' when using the OPPO. Now the shop I got the stuff from said, the problem was most likely the way I had the HDMI cables connected, and effectively the Anthem was getting confused. They recommended this way to connect them all up, please see sketch [new.gif]. Oppo now set to Dual AV.

I tried this last night and it seems to work, there are certainly less HDMI cables.

So my questions are
(1) Will the video quality from the OPPO be less based on the new setup since the HDMI from the OPPO is now carrying video and audio?

(2) Should I turn video processing on the Anthem off and just let it passthru the video signal? For some reason I dont think I should let both the OPPO and the Anthem fiddle with the video quality.

Really sorry if this is all a bit 'old hat' but it can be a bit confusing for the poor newbie.

Any help appreciated

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old.gif
Views:	63
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	211441   Click image for larger version

Name:	New.gif
Views:	56
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	211449  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17912 of 19430 Old 08-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
^ The second cabling method -- just one HDMI cable from the OPPO using its HDMI 1 output -- is the "normal" way to hook things up.

The Split A/V vs. Dual Display setting choice in the OPPO only takes effect when you have BOTH HDMI outputs of the OPPO in use. In the second cabling method, since only the HDMI 1 output is in use, that setting is ignored. Best quality audio and video are negotiated on the single, HDMI 1 output, without conflict since another HDMI connection doesn't also have to be satisfied. In the first cabling method, the Split A/V choice is the correct choice as it will insure best quality video on HDMI 1 to your display while also insuring best quality audio on HDMI 2 to your Anthem.

The main reason to use the first cabling method -- two HDMI cables -- is if your AVR won't pass a video signal you want to get from the OPPO to your Display.

The Anthem MRX does not do video manipulation (image processing). It does the basic video steps of de-interlacing, upscaling, and, as needed, color space conversion. But if you have the OPPO set to output 1080p the Anthem won't need to do any of that and so you don't need to worry about extra video processing. Setting he Anthem to Through mode for video will cause the OPPO to negotiate with the TV as to what to send the TV (through the Anthem). This is only valuable if you want *THE TV* to do your video processing.

So, I'd suggest you leave the Anthem set in its normal configuration and set the OPPO to send 1080p to it.

Again, the only reason to use the first cabling method (two HDMI cables) is if you discover you can't pass the desired video signal through the Anthem to the TV. E.g., 3D video or 4K resolution.

The audio muting you experienced with the first cabling method is likely due to the TV seeing the HDMI handshake coming at it from two directions at the same time -- direct from the OPPO and also from the Anthem. That's complicated by the fact that you are using ARC to send audio back from the TV to the Anthem. It's what's called an HDMI loop. There are some things you can try to address that, but again, if the single HDMI cable hookup gets what you want -- through the Anthem -- to your TV, there's no need to futz with that.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17913 of 19430 Old 08-14-2014, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dear Bob,

That's great...thank you very much for reply.

If i could get your opinion on one more thing...

The HDMI cables I was using cost about £5 each, I borrowed some more expensive ones from the shop where is got the kit from (audioquest Pearl) at £30.

Without starting a riot -are more expensive HDMI cables worth it - appreciate you might say it depends on personal preference, but just trying to get your opinion.

Sincerely

John
post #17914 of 19430 Old 08-14-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnallan44 View Post
Dear Bob,

The HDMI cables I was using cost about £5 each, I borrowed some more expensive ones from the shop where is got the kit from (audioquest Pearl) at £30.

Without starting a riot -are more expensive HDMI cables worth it - appreciate you might say it depends on personal preference, but just trying to get your opinion.

Sincerely

John
No. HDMI cables either work or they don't. As long as the cable is reasonably well made and provides a solid fit when inserted, it will be fine. Some very stiff or heavy cables can be bad because they can put two much stress on the fittings or work loose.

post #17915 of 19430 Old 08-14-2014, 10:08 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnallan44 View Post
Dear Bob,

Sincerely

John
HDMI cables are sold in a few configurations these days: Normal, normal with Ethernet, High Speed, and High Speed with Ethernet. The "with Ethernet" will do nothing for you with the OPPO so you don't need those. HOWEVER, you DO need High Speed cables. So only use HDMI cables that are sold as "High Speed", or "For 1080p", or "Category 2" all of which mean the same thing.

The ideal length for an HDMI cable -- the length that will produce the most reliable results is 6 feet (2 meters), not shorter or longer. So don't buy short cables even if your gear is close together. Longer cables may work just fine (6 feet is a Rule of Thumb, not a Law), but the longer the cable the more problems you are likely to have. "Redmere" technology cables have an active circuit in the plug at one end which makes them act as if they are 6 foot cables regardless of the actual length. That makes them particularly helpful if you need a long cable run. This also means they are directional -- you have to plug them in the right way around.

Except for the above, paying for exotic HDMI cables is, in my opinion, a waste of money. Personally, I like the HDMI cables sold by Blue Jeans Cable and Monoprice -- both AVS Forum sponsors. The cable that OPPO ships with the player is also perfectly good.

HDMI plugs are friction fit, and it only takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw things up. This frequently trips up people who buy new HDMI cables. First, folks tend to buy thick, heavy cables for no good reason (the power of marketing compels you!) and the weight of the cables is enough to tug the plugs loose. Also, new cables have kinks in them from being folded up for packaging, and that too often causes them to tug on the plugs. Make sure all your HDMI plugs are inserted STRAIGHT into the socket with nothing tugging on them. If you have HDMI problems, first try reseating your plugs.

HDMI works best if there is only a single run of cable between each pair of devices. Anything else in the signal path -- daisy chained cables, HDMI switches or adapters, electronic gizmos, even wall plates -- is a likely source of HDMI problems.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #17916 of 19430 Old 08-14-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 95
^^^ What Bob said.

Another nice benefit of Redmere HDMI cables (which are very inexpensive from Monoprice), is they're very thin and light, so they stay connected very well.

But yeah, you have to be careful to look at the markings on the end...otherwise you may think you have a defective cable. Not that I've done that.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #17917 of 19430 Old 08-14-2014, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The ideal length for an HDMI cable -- the length that will produce the most reliable results is 6 feet (2 meters), not shorter or longer. So don't buy short cables even if your gear is close together.
--Bob
What is wrong with shorter HDMI cables?
Most cables I am using (Audioquest Forest) are 1,5 meters.

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
post #17918 of 19430 Old 08-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ HDMI operates constantly on the edge of failing. It is simple, twisted pair wire with inexpensive electronics at each end. Its roots go back to DVI, which was cabling for connecting monitors to computers that pretty much pooped out beyond 10 feet.

One of the goals of HDMI was to extend that length -- but still with cheap electronics. That was done by adding re-equalization into the transmitter and receiver chips to counter the degradation in the signal as it travelled down the cable. This has become more sophisticated in later versions of HDMI, but it is still pretty simple, and the big simplification is to design in a base level of correction for the EXPECTED change in the signal.

And that's built around a 6 foot length.

So if you use a short cable it overcompensates.

The symptoms are the same as using a cable that's too long -- more HDMI handshake failures.

Just as some people have good luck using long cables, others have good luck with short cables. Using 6 foot cables merely maximizes your luck.

This becomes more important if the HDMI chips handling either end of the cable are of different vintage. Indeed it used to be that problems were common if the chips of the SAME vintage came from different manufacturers. If both ends use today's new chips such mismatches are much less of a problem these days. But there's still lots of older gear out there.

Anyway, using 6 foot cables where possible is sound advice, and much less messy than drawing a chalk Pentagram around your equipment.
--Bob
meli, hernanu, laugsbach and 3 others like this.
post #17919 of 19430 Old 08-14-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

EDIT: I delete my question because it's not allowed. Sorry.

Last edited by Surfdrifter; 08-15-2014 at 01:47 AM. Reason: not permitted question
post #17920 of 19430 Old 08-14-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Posts about jailbreaking aren't permitted here. You'll have to search elsewhere.

post #17921 of 19430 Old 08-14-2014, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
^ HDMI operates constantly on the edge of failing. It is simple, twisted pair wire with inexpensive electronics at each end. Its roots go back to DVI, which was cabling for connecting monitors to computers that pretty much pooped out beyond 10 feet.

One of the goals of HDMI was to extend that length -- but still with cheap electronics. That was done by adding re-equalization into the transmitter and receiver chips to counter the degradation in the signal as it travelled down the cable. This has become more sophisticated in later versions of HDMI, but it is still pretty simple, and the big simplification is to design in a base level of correction for the EXPECTED change in the signal.

And that's built around a 6 foot length.

So if you use a short cable it overcompensates.

The symptoms are the same as using a cable that's too long -- more HDMI handshake failures.

Just as some people have good luck using long cables, others have good luck with short cables. Using 6 foot cables merely maximizes your luck.

This becomes more important if the HDMI chips handling either end of the cable are of different vintage. Indeed it used to be that problems were common if the chips of the SAME vintage came from different manufacturers. If both ends use today's new chips such mismatches are much less of a problem these days. But there's still lots of older gear out there.

Anyway, using 6 foot cables where possible is sound advice, and much less messy than drawing a chalk Pentagram around your equipment.
--Bob

I really do enjoy these detailed lessons on how and why this stuff works the way it does, and the history of it's evolution...it's what keeps me coming back! So, thank you.

I have been using the same very long length of hdmi running from my components closet to my Panny for many years now, with very few noticeable ill effects. This while upgrading the components all around this cable. Probably shouldn't have said that...

And without a pentagram! Must be all the Black Sabbath I listen to ;-)...
post #17922 of 19430 Old 08-14-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post
I have been using the same very long length of hdmi running from my components closet to my Panny for many years now, with very few noticeable ill effects. This while upgrading the components all around this cable. Probably shouldn't have said that...
I've had the same experience with several installations with nothing longer than 15', but everything Bob describes is always lurking.
post #17923 of 19430 Old 08-15-2014, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Posts about jailbreaking aren't permitted here. You'll have to search elsewhere.

I'm sorry. I'll edit my post
post #17924 of 19430 Old 08-15-2014, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
What? ............ no Thin Lizzy fans here?

post #17925 of 19430 Old 08-15-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
--Bob
Coffee through the nose, Bob... cut it out.
post #17926 of 19430 Old 08-15-2014, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
5tb hdd work on oppo 103?

if not what is the biggest it can read?
post #17927 of 19430 Old 08-15-2014, 08:10 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanRix View Post
if not what is the biggest it can read?
16TB was the largest I remember being tested, but that was quite some time ago.

GPT partitioning allows much larger sizes. I don't know if the player has a limit apart from that.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #17928 of 19430 Old 08-16-2014, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I'm trying to use the 'Play To' function in W7 MP to send FLAC to my Oppo with not much luck. Thought it may be a good way to control playback from the PC vs having to turn my TV on and navigate to files etc and then use Pure Audio to blank screen content. Is there something I'm missing why this won't work? Thanks!
post #17929 of 19430 Old 08-16-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydenim View Post
I'm trying to use the 'Play To' function in W7 MP to send FLAC to my Oppo with not much luck. Thought it may be a good way to control playback from the PC vs having to turn my TV on and navigate to files etc and then use Pure Audio to blank screen content. Is there something I'm missing why this won't work? Thanks!
WMP does not have FLAC decoding by default. Its essentially a DNLA server, and a poor one at that. If you share the files in question, the Oppo can access them directly, and you can use the Media Control app to browse and play.
post #17930 of 19430 Old 08-16-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

^^ if you're "pushing" audio files to your Oppo player, you need a DLNA compliant media server running on your PC. You can't push files to your 103 without one.
post #17931 of 19430 Old 08-16-2014, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
WMP does not have FLAC decoding by default. Its essentially a DNLA server, and a poor one at that. If you share the files in question, the Oppo can access them directly, and you can use the Media Control app to browse and play.
I have FLAC support added into WMP so playback is not an issue - it'll push mp3 to the Oppo straight away but fails on FLAC. Didn't think of using the Oppo iphone app to browse and play! - Will give that a go! Thanks
post #17932 of 19430 Old 08-16-2014, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydenim View Post
I have FLAC support added into WMP so playback is not an issue - it'll push mp3 to the Oppo straight away but fails on FLAC. Didn't think of using the Oppo iphone app to browse and play! - Will give that a go! Thanks
Just be sure to leave the Oppo in Quick-Start mode so the app can power it on.
post #17933 of 19430 Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
If been browsing this thread but can't find clear answers, excuse me if it has been posted before but...

- as in today is mkv still cinavia free when from USB or LAN? is there a roadmap they will patch this?
- 103 can't display PGS subs in mkv's?
- how does 3D mkv deal with .srt subs? its flat or with depth?
- is subtitle shift possible with .srt and mkv?

regards!
post #17934 of 19430 Old 08-19-2014, 11:10 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUglyBad View Post
If been browsing this thread but can't find clear answers, excuse me if it has been posted before but...

- as in today is mkv still cinavia free when from USB or LAN? is there a roadmap they will patch this?
At the moment, yes: cinavia is enforced only on optical disc. No telling how long this will last. All it takes is a letter from the licensing authorities (or even a powerful studio) to OPPO to close that loophole.

Quote:
- 103 can't display PGS subs in mkv's?
That works.

Quote:
- how does 3D mkv deal with .srt subs? its flat or with depth?
Someone else must answer that.

Quote:
- is subtitle shift possible with .srt and mkv?
Yes, there is a special control for that in the Options popup window.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #17935 of 19430 Old 08-19-2014, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
^ Bill thank you! that player is even better then I thought.
post #17936 of 19430 Old 08-20-2014, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffietje View Post
Quick question : when viewing photos is there a way to show the GPS location info which is embedded in the photo? I have tried the info button and the green button, but both are not showing it.
I would also like to know if there is a quick way to show the name of the photo on the screen? (besides stopping the slide show of course)
Nobody ?

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)
post #17937 of 19430 Old 08-20-2014, 04:19 AM

Hi everyone,

I have been offered, at an outrageously low price, a demo 103EU player, and although its specs are great and it is an awarded and acclaimed device I'm not sure it may fully fit my use scenario, that's why I'm asking for your advice.

I want to replace my popcornhour C200 player, and my first choice was a PCH A410 which is pretty much the most up to date player in the market (AFAIK), I basically need a player (ability to play BD is nice but not mandatory) to send HD content in my 16 TB NAS to my 58" plasma and my optoma hd131xe projector. I have a gigabit network over CAT6 cable and a HDMI 4x2 matrix. Most of my content is MKV (between 10 and 30 GB) M2TS and ISO's.

Do you think the oppo could cater to my needs, or should I go with the A410 instead?. I'm aware the 103 is superior as far as video and audio processing quality, but my concern is more on the network features and the ability to access the content of my NAS and play it fluently over the network.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Matt.
post #17938 of 19430 Old 08-20-2014, 05:33 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlocked View Post
Hi everyone,

I have been offered, at an outrageously low price, a demo 103EU player, and although its specs are great and it is an awarded and acclaimed device I'm not sure it may fully fit my use scenario, that's why I'm asking for your advice.

I want to replace my popcornhour C200 player, and my first choice was a PCH A410 which is pretty much the most up to date player in the market (AFAIK), I basically need a player (ability to play BD is nice but not mandatory) to send HD content in my 16 TB NAS to my 58" plasma and my optoma hd131xe projector. I have a gigabit network over CAT6 cable and a HDMI 4x2 matrix. Most of my content is MKV (between 10 and 30 GB) M2TS and ISO's.

Do you think the oppo could cater to my needs, or should I go with the A410 instead?. I'm aware the 103 is superior as far as video and audio processing quality, but my concern is more on the network features and the ability to access the content of my NAS and play it fluently over the network.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Matt.
No ISO on the OPPO. MKV and M2TS are ok. Both DLNA and SMB are available.

The media browser on the OPPO is very basic compared to a media server appliance. The online manual has illustrations. I haven't used PCH but I presume it has a more sophisticated interface.

If network files are the primary use, I would look at a dedicated device intended for that purpose. The OPPO will do it, but other products have more features.

-Bill

post #17939 of 19430 Old 08-20-2014, 06:04 AM
Read the FAQ!

It is also wise to think twice about an "outrageously low" price on a used OPPO. Check around to see normal used prices for them and you will see they retain their value very well. You might be walking into a broken unit. Or stolen. Of course if you trust the seller and understand why the pricing is that low, then that's different. You mentioned it was a demo, but even demo OPPOs don't typically sell for peanuts.
--Bob
post #17940 of 19430 Old 08-20-2014, 06:08 AM

Thank you so much for your replies. The seller is a respected merchant so nothing "fishy" about the unit. If the Oppo does not play ISO's that is certainly a deal breaker for me, I have all my BD backed up in my nas and not being able to play them defeats the purpose of the whole setup so... I guess I'll go for the A410, not so sleek and with weaker video/audio processing but it should do the job just fine.

Thanks for the help, case closed!!

Matt.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page