post #17971 of 17990 Old 08-26-2014, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by deewan View Post
Could you give me an example of a DLNA media player that would give me the same performance as a Mede8er 600X3D and the Oppo's video processing?
You'll probably find some useful information within this dedicated Oppo BDP-83/93/95/103/105 DLNA/UPnP thread...

Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17972 of 17990 Old 08-26-2014, 08:26 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Unfortunately with the HDMI inputs on the Oppo, I am unable to pass-through the lossless audio.
If your media player can convert the Dolby and DTS lossless formats to LPCM (which is still lossless - it's essentially the same as unzipping the contents form a zip file), you could send that through the Oppo's HDMI inputs. If you're otherwise happy with the user interface and such, that should give you a very usable solution. You just won't have the Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio lights lit on your receiver.
post #17973 of 17990 Old 08-26-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
You just won't have the Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio lights lit on your receiver.
We all like to see those lights though... don't we.

Thanks for everyone's input and help. I'll begin some more research
lanping09 likes this.
post #17974 of 17990 Old 08-26-2014, 08:37 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
We all like to see those lights though... don't we.
We do, but what really matters is how it sounds. The lights being lit or not shouldn't make a difference in the final sound quality. Given that it wouldn't cost you anything and should be really easy to configure, it's worth giving it a try.
post #17975 of 17990 Old 08-26-2014, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
I run into BD-Live nonsense like this from time to time during testing. I always pop the disc into a PS3 I keep handy for just such purposes. If the same BD-Live failure happens there, I chalk it up to stupid studio programming tricks and stop worrying about it.

For example, if the studio changes the Internet name for their server older discs won't find it any longer.

The most recent example was a Sony disc just 2 years from its release date. Studios don't really care about BD-Live any longer.
--Bob
Yes, I agree. It's basically just BS. I never thought about the server issue. But like you said I really won't be using it.
mhobart likes this.

LL
post #17976 of 17990 Old Yesterday, 02:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
A few questions about the updated Netflix app on the Oppo 103

Do you get the option to Start at the Beginning or just Resume like Roku3 app?
What is the maximum bit rate? Does it go to 5800kbps 1080pHD?
How does the Oppo process the Non 5.1 sound which I think is mostly Dolby Pro Logic
Is it better to feed a Roku3 into a HDMI in? If it is, how will the Oppo treat the non 5.1 sound?
post #17977 of 17990 Old Yesterday, 03:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasab View Post
A few questions about the updated Netflix app on the Oppo 103

Do you get the option to Start at the Beginning or just Resume like Roku3 app?
What is the maximum bit rate? Does it go to 5800kbps 1080pHD?
How does the Oppo process the Non 5.1 sound which I think is mostly Dolby Pro Logic
Is it better to feed a Roku3 into a HDMI in? If it is, how will the Oppo treat the non 5.1 sound?
You just have Resume. Don't know about the bitrate. Oppo processes the non 5.1 sound as STEREO, whatever the source. Your AVR can get the stereo signal from the Oppo and process it as Dolby Prologic IIx if you like.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #17978 of 17990 Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM

I was talking to a co-worker who is out of state, he owns a 93.
He was telling me about ISO files and how the 93 can play ripped blu rays directly from the hard drive.

Questions: Is it a big deal that it was taken away?? (the studios asked them to is what I was told)

Do 103-105 owners wish that this feature was still on the 103

I own a 103 Thanks!!

LL
post #17979 of 17990 Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

He was telling me about ISO files and how the 93 can play ripped blu rays directly from the hard drive.

Questions: Is it a big deal that it was taken away?? (the studios asked them to is what I was told)

I own a 103 Thanks!!

LL
post #17980 of 17990 Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyjacks View Post

Questions: Is it a big deal that it was taken away??
It was a big deal at the time.

Quote:
(the studios asked them to is what I was told)
"Asked" is not exactly the correct verb.

Quote:
There has been no poll. Why do you ask?

-Bill
post #17981 of 17990 Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
It was a big deal at the time.

"Asked" is not exactly the correct verb.

There has been no poll. Why do you ask?

-Bill
I ask because this co-worker and I got into a light weight argument about it. He is all about the convenience, quick, no work, fastest way of doing something. And for me I'd rather have the Blu Ray disc in the Oppo for the picture AND the sound. He says the ripped blu rays off the hard drive are 100% identical. And it might be. In my opinion a copied, ripped, burned anything can never be a 100% duplicate of the source. 99% ??? Probably. But that's what we were talking about and it got a tad heated. And if it's 100% accurate (pic and sound) then great.

LL
post #17982 of 17990 Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
And if it's 100% accurate (pic and sound) then great.
A simple ISO or BDMV copy is 100% the same, missing only the copy protection and region coding. That's why the studios don't allow it. Too easy to pirate their product.

We try to keep these threads specific to each OPPO player, by the way.

-Bill
post #17983 of 17990 Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
A simple ISO or BDMV copy is 100% the same, missing only the copy protection and region coding. That's why the studios don't allow it. Too easy to pirate their product.

We try to keep these threads specific to each OPPO player, by the way.

-Bill
Thank you for answering the questions. I understand about "thread specific", BY THE WAY.
Geez

LL
post #17984 of 17990 Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any recommendations for wireless USB keyboards (preferably compact ones) that are compatible with the Oppo 103?
post #17985 of 17990 Old Today, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I ask because this co-worker and I got into a light weight argument about it. He is all about the convenience, quick, no work, fastest way of doing something. And for me I'd rather have the Blu Ray disc in the Oppo for the picture AND the sound. He says the ripped blu rays off the hard drive are 100% identical. And it might be. In my opinion a copied, ripped, burned anything can never be a 100% duplicate of the source. 99% ??? Probably. But that's what we were talking about and it got a tad heated. And if it's 100% accurate (pic and sound) then great.
Why wouldnt a 1 on 1 copy be 100% the same?
Sure, if you download some rip from internet, that is most likely not an exact rip (to make it smaller in size mostly)

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone) / DUNE HD SMART H1

Last edited by Daffietje; Today at 03:53 AM.
post #17986 of 17990 Old Today, 04:56 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffietje View Post
Why wouldnt a 1 on 1 copy be 100% the same?
Sure, if you download some rip from internet, that is most likely not an exact rip (to make it smaller in size mostly)
If the download was an ISO, it would be the same. And of course conversions to other containers, such as MKV, can also be exact copies of both the audio and video. One place where MKV's can save space is by eliminating extras and multiple soundtracks. It's mostly a matter of knowing what you're getting.

Besides, people would never download rips of movies from the Internet to play on their Oppo's as that's illegal.
post #17987 of 17990 Old Today, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Connection Question

So, my BDP-103 is sitting on my front porch waiting for me to come home. I bought an XBR-55X850B last night (to go with my player, not the other way around) and I'm trying to figure out the best way to take advantage of the Oppo in my system. I can make a case for several arrangements, but that probably means I don't know what I don't know. System includes The BDP-103, an AT&T U-verse DVR, a Yamaha RX-A1020 receiver and the Sony 55X850B. I'll obviously be watching lots of blu-rays and streaming lots of stuff through the built in apps (either the TV or the player, whichever would be better) and playing SACDs. How should I hook things up to best leverage the strengths of each piece of gear? The receiver DOES pass 3D and 4K video.

UVERSE -> Oppo -> Receiver (HDMI 1 out for videos and HDMI 2 out for SACDs) -> Video Direct mode out to TV

OR

UVERSE -> Receiver Video Direct out to -> Oppo -> TV from HDMI1 and to Receiver with HDMI2 for audio (would this be an issue with the UVERSE audio signal basically looping back into the receiver? Can ARC go from the TV BACK through the Oppo to the receiver?)

OR

Some other arrangement that makes too much sense for me to think of myself? Typing this out, it feels like perhaps I'm overthinking this and I should just go with the first setup.
post #17988 of 17990 Old Today, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
If the download was an ISO, it would be the same. And of course conversions to other containers, such as MKV, can also be exact copies of both the audio and video. One place where MKV's can save space is by eliminating extras and multiple soundtracks. It's mostly a matter of knowing what you're getting.

Besides, people would never download rips of movies from the Internet to play on their Oppo's as that's illegal.
But of course lol. With a friend we tried the ISO vs BD last night (on his system). I was able to tell 4/5 times which one was ISO and which was BD. It's a very very subtle difference. I guess that's a curse i was born with. I'm all for MKV's, makes things easier. I just have no problem putting the disc into the Oppo and pressing the open/close button.

LL
post #17989 of 17990 Old Today, 12:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcollins06 View Post
it feels like perhaps I'm overthinking this and I should just go with the first setup.
UVERSE -> Oppo -> Receiver (HDMI 1 out for videos and HDMI 2 out for SACDs) -> Video Direct mode out to TV

This should give you everything you want and need, and also allow your AVR to be used for any other "switching" purpose for other sources that might also feed your TV and sound system.

Use the Oppo for Netflix streaming, as its Netflix app is the latest variety and fully supports 1080p SuperHD.

I don't think the uVerse DVR supports "native" output (i.e. leaving 720p and 1080i untouched when feeding the Oppo via HDMI) as a setup option, but that's what you really want for best image on your HDTV at the other end. You want to feed 720p programs as 720p to the Oppo, and 1080i programs as 1080i to the Oppo. "Native" on the source device is obviously the most convenient way to get that done automatically. But if unavailable, you'll either have to (1) manually change its output format depending on the source program channel you're watching (if you want "best" image on your HDTV), or (2) just be willing to upconvert 720p to 1080i in the DVR setup and let everything come out as 1080i into the Oppo, including the 720p->faux 1080i, or (3) set the DVR to upconvert everything to 1080p and feed the Oppo with 1080p. Trying all three options will let you decide if you want to compromise HDTV image quality using options (2) or (3) for user convenience only, knowing that (1) or "native" will give you "best image out of the Oppo to the HDTV".
post #17990 of 17990 Old Today, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSperber View Post

This should give you everything you want and need, and also allow your AVR to be used for any other "switching" purpose for other sources that might also feed your TV and sound system.

Use the Oppo for Netflix streaming, as its Netflix app is the latest variety and fully supports 1080p SuperHD.

I don't think the uVerse DVR supports "native" output (i.e. leaving 720p and 1080i untouched when feeding the Oppo via HDMI) as a setup option, but that's what you really want for best image on your HDTV at the other end. You want to feed 720p programs as 720p to the Oppo, and 1080i programs as 1080i to the Oppo. "Native" on the source device is obviously the most convenient way to get that done automatically. But if unavailable, you'll either have to (1) manually change its output format depending on the source program channel you're watching (if you want "best" image on your HDTV), or (2) just be willing to upconvert 720p to 1080i in the DVR setup and let everything come out as 1080i into the Oppo, including the 720p->faux 1080i, or (3) set the DVR to upconvert everything to 1080p and feed the Oppo with 1080p. Trying all three options will let you decide if you want to compromise HDTV image quality using options (2) or (3) for user convenience only, knowing that (1) or "native" will give you "best image out of the Oppo to the HDTV".
FWIW, the number 3 option is not possible since Uverse boxes do not offer 1080p upconversion.
They only offer a 24/7 1080i OR 720p output. As a cable subscriber it's very disappointing since I think they could implement a
"native / source direct" option through a software upgrade, but they just don't care.
On top of that, you have to go deep into the STB's menus and jump through all kinds of hoops just to change the resolution output.
I just leave mine on 1080i since most channels are native 1080i anyway, and the STB's conversion is actually pretty good.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread