Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by chauavs View Post
1) Factory Reset - didn't work
2) Took the batteries out of the controller, pressed each front panel button - didn't work
3) Reinstalled firmware matches the newest one - didn't work.
4) I do have a 3D display but no IR signal

The selection keeps moving to the right sometimes back to the left....
Sounds like you've got a failure of the electronics that senses button presses. This can also be caused by power problems due to something faulty connected to the player.

Start by disconnecting EVERYTHING from the player, including the power plug. While still unplugged, press and hold the Front Panel Power button for a few seconds to discharge any retained power in the power supply. This is to force the lowest level hardware in the player to reboot.

Now connect JUST the power cord. If your TV has a "composite" video input -- typically a single, yellow RCA jack -- connect an RCA cable from the player's "Diag" socket on the back panel to that TV input. This will give you 480i video of the player's menus independent of HDMI. Do NOT connect HDMI, audio cables, the Wifi dongle, ethernet or anything in the USB ports.

If your TV only has HDMI video input, then connect a single HDMI cable to it. Try an alternate cable if you have one as the power problem may be due to a broken HDMI cable.

Power up and see if the problem still exists on Home Menu. If so, the player likely needs Warranty service -- get in touch with OPPO Tech Support and they'll take care of you. Note, that they frequently monitor email even on holidays.

If the problem has gone away, then reconnect your normal stuff one thing at a time until the problem returns. That will identify the culprit.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Yesterday at 04:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18032 of 18060 Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
My home screen selection keeps moving by itself. I haven't try the Disc yet. It moves from DISC to MUSIC to PHOTO to MOVIES to NETWORK to SETUP
I wonder if there are some stuck buttons on your remote. Do you get this behavior when the batteries are not in the remote?

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #18033 of 18060 Old Today, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bob i tried everything that you said but it's still the same. I accidentally pressed the disc tray open and everything was back to normal but when i close the tray it happens again. is any other ways to fix this issue.
post #18034 of 18060 Old Today, 06:57 AM

actually with the tray open is only stop the problem at the Home screen but when i go into setup menu or network it still jumping around.
post #18035 of 18060 Old Today, 07:31 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
actually with the tray open is only stop the problem at the Home screen but when i go into setup menu or network it still jumping around.
I think it is time for you to contact OPPO customer support.

Forgot to ask: is this a North American player with the North American firmware?

-Bill
post #18036 of 18060 Old Today, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sorry if this has been asked, but it's difficult to search through 18K posts, and my key words yield too many results.
I have a 103 with the latest firmware, and while I usually play FLAC files via my network, I just noticed that the player is not seeing APE files the same way. That is, if I navigate to a folder containing them, it looks like an empty folder. Isn't this player supposed to recognize APE files?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #18037 of 18060 Old Today, 08:12 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzdolfan View Post
Sorry if this has been asked, but it's difficult to search through 18K posts, and my key words yield too many results.
I have a 103 with the latest firmware, and while I usually play FLAC files via my network, I just noticed that the player is not seeing APE files the same way. That is, if I navigate to a folder containing them, it looks like an empty folder. Isn't this player supposed to recognize APE files?

Yes, APE is supported.

Are you using DLNA? It could be your server doesn't recognize that file type.

Try SMB, or copy sample files to USB storage and attach that directly to the player to make sure there is not a problem with the files themselves.

-Bill
fzdolfan likes this.
post #18038 of 18060 Old Today, 08:29 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Bob i tried everything that you said but it's still the same. I accidentally pressed the disc tray open and everything was back to normal but when i close the tray it happens again. is any other ways to fix this issue.
As Bill says, it is time to talk to OPPO Tech Support. Your player likely needs hardware service.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #18039 of 18060 Old Today, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Yes, APE is supported.

Are you using DLNA? It could be your server doesn't recognize that file type.

Try SMB, or copy sample files to USB storage and attach that directly to the player to make sure there is not a problem with the files themselves.

-Bill
It didn't even occur to me that it could be the server. That must have been the issue (Serviio), because when I plugged my external hdd in, it saw them just fine.
The only minor disappointment I see now is that it's not displaying the artwork (just the ape files. Shows fine on flac) which I confirmed was embedded in the tag via Tag Scanner. That's not a huge deal though. If it bothers me that much I'll just convert to flac.

Thanks for the help.

post #18040 of 18060 Old Today, 08:48 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
It didn't even occur to me that it could be the server. That must have been the issue (Serviio), because when I plugged my external hdd in, it saw them just fine.
The only minor disappointment I see now is that it's not displaying the artwork (just the ape files. Shows fine on flac) which I confirmed was embedded in the tag via Tag Scanner. That's not a huge deal though. If it bothers me that much I'll just convert to flac.

Thanks for the help.
I've never used Serviio, but DLNA servers sometimes have configuration files that allow new file types to be added. You might look at Serviio support forums to see if this is possible.

I'm presuming APE is possible over DLNA, but I don't remember testing it.

-Bill
post #18041 of 18060 Old Today, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by muadikhan View Post
There are lot of posts complaining about hiss when BDP-103 used as preamp with the 7.1 analogue audio-out. Is the hiss only present when the digital volume control is used, I remembering reading somewhere that if the volume is 100% then there is no noise. Does this means the hiss is gone as well.

I am using HK AVR-635 but it lacks HDMI I/O ports as well as HD audio decoding. But it has 8 channel direct input and the direct input supports volume control. So I can keep the Oppo volume at 100%. I am planning to use BDP-103 as preamp to feed into 8 channel input.

Will I hear a hiss?

Thanks

_Muadi.
I know this is old, but I'm going to bump it as it's relevant to what I've been going through.

First off here's my electronics gear list:
Oppo 103 (preamp) --> (2) Rane DSPs --> (5) Crown DriveCore XLS Amplifiers & (2) JL Audio E112s

Speakers are obviously after the Crowns.

I e-mailed Oppo some months back asking about potential noise issues when using the 103 as the sole pre-amp. This is the exchange:
Quote:
Erin,

If you will be using the player as the pre-amplifier, then you will want to use the BDP-105. The BDP-103 has 24-bit DACs and has a low signal to noise floor, so it will likely produce audio truncations if you use the player's built-in volume controls and a hum will always be present as the amplifier will always be amplifying the noise floor.

If you are running through a pre-amplifier, or another device which will be doing the volume controls, then the BDP-103 will work in your configuration.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
So, Oppo basically told me, "yes, you should expect noise". They didn't specifically say 'hiss' and they focused on the 'hum' (two things which are NOT the same; I'm not new to audio ). Understanding the warning, I figured I'd give it a shot anyway.

I've had the setup mentioned above for about 4 months now. After having some time to really live with the system, I've realized that, indeed, the noise floor of the Oppo is a problem if you expect to use it as a permanent pre-amp solution. Keep in mind I have (2) Rane DSP's that drive the inputs of my Crowns and even with the ridiculous output voltage capability of the Ranes and the superb A/D/A conversion within, it simply cannot make up for the Oppo's faults when used as the sole pre-amp.

Before people jump the gun on my post understand this:
Oppo stated I'd need to use a dedicated pre-amp; so I'm not bashing the company or product at all!

What I am saying is if you're going to be hardheaded like I was, don't expect much different than the results I had. I got it to work as a pre-amp, sure, but I'm fighting the noise vs volume tradeoff; and upping the output voltage via the software only induces clipping (audible clipping, I might add). I've decided I'm going to have to plunk down the cash for a dedicated pre/pro, unfortunately. I'm hoping something like the Emo UMC-200 will suffice.

This is just some real-world use from my experience. Hopefully it helps someone who was in the quandary I was a few months back.

- Erin
post #18042 of 18060 Old Today, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
I don't think APE files contain any metadata/album art, etc. You need the corresponding ".apl" file to go with your ".ape" files. ".apl" will contain your metadata, including album art.
fzdolfan likes this.
post #18043 of 18060 Old Today, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

^^ Bikinpunk, the owner whose post you quoted was completely in the wrong about allowing his 103 to be left at full volume to feed his HK AVR. At full volume, the analog outputs of the 103 put out 2.1 volts/RMS. The HK AVR only has an input sensitivity of 200 mV on its analog inputs. Leaving the 103 at 100% volume would overdrive his AVR, thus producing distortion. If you're going to use max volume on the 103 and utilize its analog outputs, you better make sure you're not overdriving your source input.
post #18044 of 18060 Old Today, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
^^ Bikinpunk, the owner whose post you quoted was completely in the wrong about allowing his 103 to be left at full volume to feed his HK AVR. At full volume, the analog outputs of the 103 put out 2.1 volts/RMS. The HK AVR only has an input sensitivity of 200 mV on its analog inputs. Leaving the 103 at 100% volume would overdrive his AVR, thus producing distortion. If you're going to use max volume on the 103 and utilize its analog outputs, you better make sure you're not overdriving your source input.
Understood. Maybe quoting him wasn't the best idea, but the point of my post was to provide some real world experience wrt the Oppo's pre-outs. And provide the email from Oppo tech as some supportive evidence.

Where did you see the voltage output for the Oppo being 2.1vRMS? I looked around once but didn't find it. I can measure it myself tonight with the scope; been meaning to, just never think about it when I'm actually at my house. Go figure.
post #18045 of 18060 Old Today, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Using oShare on my Windows 7 PC, I find that some of my file folders show up on Oppo as empty when they actually contain music files (mp3, flac, wav). I have tried restarting the server on the PC (has no effect) or rebooting the PC (works sometimes). Anyone have some suggestions? I'm sure this is an oShare problem, but they are freeware and without tech support--and Oppo recommended this program as a DLNA server.

post #18046 of 18060 Old Today, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post

Where did you see the voltage output for the Oppo being 2.1vRMS? I looked around once but didn't find it. I can measure it myself tonight with the scope; been meaning to, just never think about it when I'm actually at my house. Go figure.
You know what? I just assumed that the multi-analog rca outputs of the 103 had the same output voltage characteristics as that of the 105's. Not sure why Oppo didn't state the output voltages of it rca section in the 103 manual. I was quoting from the 105 manual.
post #18047 of 18060 Old Today, 11:22 AM

Quote:
You know what? I just assumed that the multi-analog rca outputs of the 103 had the same output voltage characteristics as that of the 105's. Not sure why Oppo didn't state the output voltages of it rca section in the 103 manual. I was quoting from the 105 manual.
Yea, that's been my luck. I can't find the specs anywhere. My *guess* is it's something closer to 1vRMS, but that's unsubstantiated. If I remember tonight, I'll measure the pre-out and post back what they are.
post #18048 of 18060 Old Today, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Using oShare on my Windows 7 PC, I find that some of my file folders show up on Oppo as empty when they actually contain music files (mp3, flac, wav). I have tried restarting the server on the PC (has no effect) or rebooting the PC (works sometimes). Anyone have some suggestions? I'm sure this is an oShare problem, but they are freeware and without tech support--and Oppo recommended this program as a DLNA server.
Windows 7 has SMB support built in. Suggest you look into getting shares working and be rid of DNLA.

Also, be sure you enter the DNLA server in the Oppo via the "music" pathway if you want to see audio files.
post #18049 of 18060 Old Today, 12:29 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ By my SPL measurements (through the Analog inputs of my Anthem Statement D2v) the RCA jack Analog out voltage of the 103/103D and the 105D appear to be the same for Analog output Volume 100 (or Volume FIXED). Tested with the LPCM tracks from AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray.

That's not super precise of course, but it certainly precludes the 103 putting out less than half the voltage.

Keep in mind that the Analog output Volume adjustment step size is different for the 103/103D vs. the 105/105D. Also the XLR jacks of the 105/105D are, by design +6dB hotter.
--Bob

post #18050 of 18060 Old Today, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Windows 7 has SMB support built in. Suggest you look into getting shares working and be rid of DNLA.

Also, be sure you enter the DNLA server in the Oppo via the "music" pathway if you want to see audio files.
I am entering the DLNA server through the music pathway, and I'm seeing nearly all of my 550 audio files, except for the occasional foldeer that shows up empty on Oppo. The files are nothing unusual and aren't corrupted, and they are supported by Oppo (e.g. wav, flac, mp3).

How do I set up SMB on my PC? I've only seen SMB referenced concerning NAS units, which I don't have. Can I play DSD files using SMB?

post #18051 of 18060 Old Today, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I don't think APE files contain any metadata/album art, etc. You need the corresponding ".apl" file to go with your ".ape" files. ".apl" will contain your metadata, including album art.
You may be right about the artwork, but fwiw, the other info shows fine (artist, title, album, etc).
Admittedly, I'm not a metadata expert. I know how to use programs that make it easy (e.g. tag scanner).
Like I said, easiest solution (for me) might be to just convert to flac. Would probably take me less time. :-)

post #18052 of 18060 Old Today, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Speaking of artwork, why doesn't artwork display/download for SACD (even hybrid)?

post #18053 of 18060 Old Today, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Forgot to ask: is this a North American player with the North American firmware?

-Bill
My Device is North America. I bought it from amazon. I don't know if the firmware that i installed is North America or what. How can i find out? thanks.
post #18054 of 18060 Old Today, 02:32 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
My Device is North America. I bought it from amazon. I don't know if the firmware that i installed is North America or what. How can i find out? thanks.
If you bought it in North America, it should be safe to assume you have North America firmware as you'll get an error message if you attempt to install firmware from another region. The question was asked mostly to make sure you get directed to the right Oppo location to contact. You should contact Oppo Digital in the US for assistance with the problem you're having.
post #18055 of 18060 Old Today, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Lip Sync Issues

Recently I have noticed lip sync issues with my Oppo 103. This has not always been the case. Today for example I was watching a bluray disc and had to push the lip sync all the way to -100 but then later on I was able to back it off to -40 which is where it was usually set in the past to get good lip sync.
I run a separate feed to the display and the audio processor but I do the same thing with my Pioneer 09 and that has not shown any lip sync problems (even tried the same discs).
Any suggestions of what may be causing this (and forgive me if this was discussed at some point much earlier in this thread).
post #18056 of 18060 Old Today, 04:11 PM

I really appreciated you guys for helping me. I contacted Oppo Customer Service and they're going to provide me a shipping label to get it check up.
post #18057 of 18060 Old Today, 04:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ The fact that the sync error varied on a given disc suggests this is actually a problem in the content on that disc. This is more common than most people realize.

As for things to try, try turning off 1080p/24 output from the player. Some displays introduce gross amounts of video processing delay when fed 1080p/24.
--Bob

post #18058 of 18060 Old Today, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
I am entering the DLNA server through the music pathway, and I'm seeing nearly all of my 550 audio files, except for the occasional foldeer that shows up empty on Oppo. The files are nothing unusual and aren't corrupted, and they are supported by Oppo (e.g. wav, flac, mp3).

How do I set up SMB on my PC? I've only seen SMB referenced concerning NAS units, which I don't have. Can I play DSD files using SMB?
A lot of routers support SMB shares through a built-in USB 2.0 or 3.0 port to which you can attach an external hard drive. You can start by checking if yours does.

BTW, Windows 8.1 now supports SMB shares after the most recent major update.

post #18059 of 18060 Old Today, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, so as I thought, SMB requires an external hard drive, and I continue to need DLNA to serve audio files from my PC.
post #18060 of 18060 Old Today, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this has all ready been asked. is there any way to turn off the speaker setup settings on the oppo? My Yamaha receiver has better settings
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page