gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Ok, so as I thought, SMB requires an external hard drive, and I continue to need DLNA to serve audio files from my PC.
No, not at all. You can use the built in Windows sharing functionality to share any drive / folder on any drive on your PC (whether it's an internal or external drive doesn't matter) to get the SMB shares you're looking for. In Windows Explorer:

1) Right click on the folder you want to share and select Properties.
2) Go to the Sharing tab and click either the Share... or Advanced Sharing... button to configure the share name and who can access the share.
3) Once done with the Sharing features, go back to Properties and go to the Security tab.
4) In the Security tab, make sure the username you're going to use to connect to the share is given at least "List folder contents" and "Read" access to the folder. Note that there's a special user called "Everyone" that you can give access to, which won't require you to provide a username and password when connecting via the Oppo player.

If you did everything correctly, you should now have a SMB share you can access from the Oppo.

Keep in mind that it can sometimes be a PITA to get the shares configured properly so you can actually access them, but you don't need to purchase any additional hardware or software to use SMB shares in Windows.

Also keep in mind that using SMB shares doesn't necessarily give you anything you can't do with DLNA, which tends to be a LOT easier to get working. But since you're running into issues with some files not showing up, it's probably worth a try.
pbarach likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18062 of 18082 Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by broseanrichard View Post
Sorry if this has all ready been asked. is there any way to turn off the speaker setup settings on the oppo? My Yamaha receiver has better settings
How are you connected to the receiver? The speaker setups is not relevant for HDMI or other digital connections, only analog.

-Bill
post #18063 of 18082 Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So the speaker settings are only for analog hook up and don't effect HDMI hook up? Also what about the crossover settings etc from the audio processing menu do a need to match them to my receivers settings or are they for analog as well?
post #18064 of 18082 Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
So the speaker settings are only for analog hook up and don't effect HDMI hook up? Also what about the crossover settings etc from the audio processing menu do a need to match them to my receivers settings or are they for analog as well?
All of the speaker setup options, including crossover settings are only for the analog outputs. If you're using HDMI, you don't need to worry about any of those settings on the Oppo.
post #18065 of 18082 Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
All of the speaker setup options, including crossover settings are only for the analog outputs. If you're using HDMI, you don't need to worry about any of those settings on the Oppo.
Ok thanks
post #18066 of 18082 Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chauavs View Post
I really appreciated you guys for helping me. I contacted Oppo Customer Service and they're going to provide me a shipping label to get it check up.
Might be a crazy idea - but have you checked for a stuck playback/navigation button on the front panel of the unit itself?
post #18067 of 18082 Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
105D as the main player at present, others used for Beta testing and comparisons.
--Bob
Thx Bob. May I ask you why the 105D over the 103D? ...TY
post #18068 of 18082 Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Sorry if this has all ready been asked. is there any way to turn off the speaker setup settings on the oppo? My Yamaha receiver has better settings
Those settings in the OPPO apply only to its Analog audio outputs. If you are using HDMI audio you can ignore those settings in the OPPO, as they will have no effect.

If using the Analog audio outputs, set all speakers to LARGE (Subwoofer ON), equidistant (any distance will do so long as they are all the same), and with 0dB Volume trim. Set DTS Neo:6 Mode to OFF. Set Speaker Configuration Down-Mix to 5.1 or 7.1 according to how many channels the Yamaha will accept.

That will bypass any processing on the Analog outputs (except down-mix to 5.1 if that's the max the Yamaha can accept).

The Subwoofer channel in this configuration will need +10dB boost external to the player, which your Yamaha will likely provide by default. Confirm levels using a calibration disc, such as the LPCM test tracks on AIX Audio Calibration, Blu-ray.
--Bob
post #18069 of 18082 Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Quote:
105D as the main player at present, others used for Beta testing and comparisons.
--Bob
Thx Bob. May I ask you why the 105D over the 103D? ...TY
I'm a Beta Tester. The combo of a 105D and a 103 allows me to test more stuff.

Otherwise I'd use just a 103D with my Anthem Statement D2v.
--Bob
post #18070 of 18082 Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm a Beta Tester. The combo of a 105D and a 103 allows me to test more stuff.

Otherwise I'd use just a 103D with my Anthem Statement D2v.
--Bob
That, that was my direct question to you; as the player you are using in your own space @ home on a regular basis.

Now I got my answer; you are using the HDMI connections.

Here's another question for you Bob: Strictly for music listening, stereo and/or multichannel, which player are you using on a regular basis, still the Oppo 103D, or another(s)? ...And are you into multichannel, and/or stereo analog connections from any sources of yours and between it/them and your Anthem Statement D2v surround sound processor and video processor?
post #18071 of 18082 Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ I test as many different combos as I can in the course of my normal listening and viewing. Including Analog. That's the whole point. And to correct you, my primary player in my current configuration is the 105D as I said above, not a 103D. Again, this is an artifact of the Beta Testing.
--Bob
post #18072 of 18082 Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
Yea, that's been my luck. I can't find the specs anywhere. My *guess* is it's something closer to 1vRMS, but that's unsubstantiated. If I remember tonight, I'll measure the pre-out and post back what they are.
I tested the outputs earlier. With the outputs' trim set to 0dB, I got 1.97vRMS from the main front analog pre-outs (didn't test all outputs; just the front left/right) using a 0dBfs, 1khz sine wave. The volume ran all the way up to 100/100 and there was no clipping indicator on the device I use for clipping detection. That said, at 95/100 you're already down to about 1.60v. I haven't taken the time to plot the voltage output to see if it's logarithmic, but I'd assume it is. But when you consider how far up in volume you have to go to reach full output, it's pretty obvious that you won't have a lot of 'gain' (if you will) at the Oppo.

I played around with the entire gain structure of my setup earlier and ultimately I'm looking at having to order a legitimate pre-amp. If not for the volume/floor noise, for the popping between sources I get. All of which was pretty much warned of by Oppo themselves. I read earlier on another site the Emo UMC-200 measured 4vRMS on it's pre-outs, unclipped, at full tilt. So, I may go that way. YMMV, of course, but I still wanted to share the quick results.

Last edited by bikinpunk; Yesterday at 07:50 PM.
post #18073 of 18082 Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Ok, so as I thought, SMB requires an external hard drive, and I continue to need DLNA to serve audio files from my PC.
Absolutely not. You can share any file on your PC, and on any drive connected to your PC. The Oppo treats network shares the same as an attached drive, so all supported files are available, including DSD.

Setting up network shares in Windows is well beyond the scope of this thread, and its sometimes fraught with aggravations. But it does work, and once sorted out is easy to use. Windows help files are generally not helpful so you'll need to find info elsewhere, but there is some information available in Windows help about where to look for the settings. Just don't confuse Windows Media Player sharing with file sharing.
post #18074 of 18082 Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I test as many different combos as I can in the course of my normal listening and viewing. Including Analog. That's the whole point. And to correct you, my primary player in my current configuration is the 105D as I said above, not a 103D. Again, this is an artifact of the Beta Testing.
--Bob
Ok, you confused me a little for a short time here.

Because even if you test all the Oppo players, my question was simply which one you use yourself when you are not testing and enjoying life outside of testing. ...Oppo 105D; thank you Bob.
Yes, I know...
post #18075 of 18082 Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Question: On my USB stick I got a tune recorded with ACC stereo PCM 48kHz.
When I play it with my Oppo 103, and that I set my pre/pro to multichannel with Dolby Pro Locic IIz (or IIx) audio mode I only have the sound from my center channel and that's all. ...How come? ...Using the HDMI connection (HDMI2).

But I got other tunes too recorded with the same audio codec and the sound comes from all channels, just as it should.
post #18076 of 18082 Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinpunk View Post
I tested the outputs earlier. With the outputs' trim set to 0dB, I got 1.97vRMS from the main front analog pre-outs (didn't test all outputs; just the front left/right) using a 0dBfs, 1khz sine wave. The volume ran all the way up to 100/100 and there was no clipping indicator on the device I use for clipping detection. That said, at 95/100 you're already down to about 1.60v. I haven't taken the time to plot the voltage output to see if it's logarithmic, but I'd assume it is. But when you consider how far up in volume you have to go to reach full output, it's pretty obvious that you won't have a lot of 'gain' (if you will) at the Oppo.

I played around with the entire gain structure of my setup earlier and ultimately I'm looking at having to order a legitimate pre-amp. If not for the volume/floor noise, for the popping between sources I get. All of which was pretty much warned of by Oppo themselves. I read earlier on another site the Emo UMC-200 measured 4vRMS on it's pre-outs, unclipped, at full tilt. So, I may go that way. YMMV, of course, but I still wanted to share the quick results.

Thanks for doing that voltage test on the rca outputs. It's darn close with the 105's rca voltage spec. With regards to your comment about "not having a lot of gain" on the Oppo, doesn't that depend on what the input sensitivity of the component (on its rca inputs) you're connecting to the Oppo? For instance, if you have an AVR or a power amp that you're directly connecting to the Oppo, and those components have an rca input sensitivity on the order of 500mV, then the Oppo has all the gain you would ever require (and then some) to effectively drive your downstream component to its fullest potential. I would surmise that the Oppo player would be able to drive most components easily with room to spare. Being on this and the 105 forum for over a year now, I have witnessed more owners who were using the Oppo players as preamps, and who couldn't raise the Oppo volume past 40-60 before clipping took place in their downstream component (power amp, AVR, etc) or before their ears started to hurt from the sound pressure. I've even seen some reports of even lower Oppo volumes than that for normal home listening. I haven't heard any reports of the Oppo *not* being able to drive a component, such as a power amp to its fullest wattage output.

Last edited by DanF8500; Yesterday at 10:26 PM.
post #18077 of 18082 Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:

Keep in mind that the Analog output Volume adjustment step size is different for the 103/103D vs. the 105/105D. Also the XLR jacks of the 105/105D are, by design +6dB hotter.
--Bob
Bob, what is the "step size" of the 103's volume adjustment? I know the 105/105D's is .5 db per step.
post #18078 of 18082 Old Today, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
I got a tune recorded with ACC stereo PCM 48kHz.
What format is this?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #18079 of 18082 Old Today, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been considering purchasing an Oppo 103d but the line is 2 years old and I am hesitant due to the age of the line. does anyone have any idea when replacement line for the103 is due?
post #18080 of 18082 Old Today, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Question: On my USB stick I got a tune recorded with ACC stereo PCM 48kHz.
When I play it with my Oppo 103, and that I set my pre/pro to multichannel with Dolby Pro Locic IIz (or IIx) audio mode I only have the sound from my center channel and that's all. ...How come? ...Using the HDMI connection (HDMI2).

But I got other tunes too recorded with the same audio codec and the sound comes from all channels, just as it should.
Unless the song is actually in mono, this is probably an artifact of the Dolby decoding. Just switch your pre/pro to stereo.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #18081 of 18082 Old Today, 04:35 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by uriah View Post
I have been considering purchasing an Oppo 103d but the line is 2 years old and I am hesitant due to the age of the line. does anyone have any idea when replacement line for the103 is due?
The 103 is almost 2 years old, the 103d coming up on 1 year.

No one knows and OPPO doesn't usually give detailed future plans, but we've guessed (and didn't Customer Support confirm?) that it is going to be a while before a new player appears.

New standards are forthcoming: 4k Blu-ray discs, HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2. It's a bad time to be an early adopter of this stuff because not everything is going to be ready at once. And it's ugly when vendors push out partially-compliant products just to have something new on the shelves.

HDMI 2.0 is going to be a consumer nightmare. A lot of its features are optional, so read all the gear specs very carefully.

So, when? My totally speculative guess, without inside knowledge: late in 2015. That's when 4k Blu-ray may appear. The BDA says sooner, but they're on happy pills.

Note: we're having a lot of 103d discussion here; the proper thread is Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread.

-Bill
post #18082 of 18082 Old Today, 04:43 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Ok, you confused me a little for a short time here.

Because even if you test all the Oppo players, my question was simply which one you use yourself when you are not testing and enjoying life outside of testing. ...Oppo 105D; thank you Bob.
Yes, I know...
I think you may still be a bit confused... Beta testers don't necessarily get one of every model that Oppo has available for sale. So if you ask one of us what player we actually use for "every day" use versus which player we would purchase with our own money for "every day" use, you might get a different answer (and you did, in fact) because most of us don't have all 4 current models (103, 103D, 105, and 105D) in our possession. Since he normally uses the HDMI connection to his Anthem pre-pro, there would be no need for him to spend the extra money on a 105D as the 103D would suit his needs just fine. But for beta testing purposes, the 105D has more stuff (extra inputs, extra analog outputs) that can be tested.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread