Forum Jump: 

post #18151 of 18352 Old 09-05-2014, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aiken View Post
OK, in your original post you said "screen saver" and not that you were using the "energy saver" mode.

I don't know what the issue is but you are incorrect in summarising the 2 modes when you say "Both say video output will turn off". The energy saver passage says "video output will cease" and the pure audio passage says "video output will turn off" which isn't quite the same wording and I wonder whether there is anything in that. Perhaps with pure audio the video connection is seen by the TV as the player actually turning off while in energy saver mode it sees the player as still sending a signal but one with no video content. What you're seeing may depend on your TV and the energy saver passage does say "Many projectors and LCD TVs will go into a standby or sleep mode and turn off their projection lamp or LCD backlight lamp…". Many projectors and LCD TVs" is not *all* projectors and LCD TVs.

I have a plasma and my screen goes equally black in both modes but plasmas don't have a backlight so what happens with my screen means nothing in relation to your screen.

Sorry I can't help any more.
In my original post I stated Energy Saver screen saver as it is a screen saver that turns the video output off. The Pure Audio section states "to turn off video" and also "video output will cease" which I agree are not necessarily the same things.

Thanks for the feedback.

I did send a request to Oppo before I went out of town, but I think I deleted the response when I deleted all the bulk e-mail when I got back. I will ask the question again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18152 of 18352 Old 09-05-2014, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My TV will state No Cable Connected I believe when it does not see 5V on the HDMI hot plug detect line. It will state No Signal when it sees 5V and no video signal at all.

Both Pure Audio and Energy Saver screen saver both go to a black screen with Pure Audio also shutting off the backlight. I assumed that neither one is actually turning of the video output as this would result in the No Signal message. I expected that that Energy Saver screen saver might actually turn off the video output rather than black it as the only way my TV will auto shutoff is if it receives no signal for a certain amount of time, not a black signal. But the backlight does turn off with a black signal.

If I change the black level in the Oppo or in the TV, I can also change when/if the backlight goes off. Oppo is at default values and the TV is calibrated. One click lower on the black level in the TV gets the backlight going on and off during movies in some fade to black transitions within the movie and also in the transitions between content. I do not like this happening, but do like Pure Audio turning off the backlight mainly becasue the sound improves with the backlight off. It was hoping the Energy Saver also allowed the backlight to go off for the same reason although it sounds slightly better with the standard screen saver setting when the screen saver is not activated.

Last edited by kellybob; 09-05-2014 at 03:35 AM.
post #18153 of 18352 Old 09-05-2014, 10:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 868
^ Email OPPO Tech Support with what you've discovered and they can look into it. What happens on the HDMI in either case is a little complicated, and there could be a difference.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18154 of 18352 Old 09-05-2014, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm sure this questions has already been asked a lot but does the av receiver effect the video signal in any way when hdmi split is active?
I'm asking this because when ever i switch on my av reciever the image on the tv flicks for a second like when an hdmi handshake is made.
Does this suggest that av reciever is interfering with video signal in av split mode?
post #18155 of 18352 Old 09-05-2014, 05:59 PM
Read the FAQ!

Not quite. Turning the AVR on or off forces a new handshake. The way HDMI works, that means BOTH outputs re-handshake.

But once the new handshake completes, the AVR on HDMI 2 does not impact the video going to the Display on HDMI 1 (with Split A/V selected).
--Bob
post #18156 of 18352 Old 09-05-2014, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Not quite. Turning the AVR on or off forces a new handshake. The way HDMI works, that means BOTH outputs re-handshake.

But once the new handshake completes, the AVR on HDMI 2 does not impact the video going to the Display on HDMI 1 (with Split A/V selected).
--Bob
Thanks for clearing that bob
post #18157 of 18352 Old 09-05-2014, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings,

I own a BDP-103 with the latest firmware (great player and great forum !). It is connected to a pre-HDMI Rotel RSX-1056 receiver via both Coaxial Digital and Analog outputs. My front speakers are set to large on both devices. I was playing a stereo redbook CD to compare the sound quality between those two connections (comparing the DACs, I suppose), when I noticed something I can't explain...

According to the Oppo's user manual : "Speaker Configuration mainly applies to the multi-channel analog audio outputs. However, when Coaxial/Optical Output is set to LPCM in the Setup Menu, its signal becomes a down-mixed stereo version of the multi-channel signal that is sent to the multi-channel analog audio outputs. As a result, the LPCM signal from the coaxial and optical output is affected by the settings in Speaker Configuration."

However, based on what I'm hearing (and measuring with an SPL meter), it seems the speaker trims on the Oppo's Speaker Configuration screen DO affect the volume level via the Coaxial Digital connection even if Coaxial/Optical Output is set to Bitstream in the Oppo's Setup Menu. I can clearly demonstrate that with reedbook CDs, although DD/DTS movie soundtracks don't seem to be affected (as expected).

I'm a bit puzzled with the above behavior... Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Last edited by FernandoF; 09-05-2014 at 08:24 PM.
post #18158 of 18352 Old 09-05-2014, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Do I need an Oppo 103 if I have Qdeo on Receiver?

Sorry is this has been asked before but...I have a Pioneer Elite Sc-81 with Marvell Qdeo. It's a new for 2014 receiver. I need a blu-ray player and am wondering if Oppo 103 is overkill since Pioneer is processing the video. I will have an LG 55 inch oled, so will an lg bdp do the trick?

Appreciate the input.
post #18159 of 18352 Old 09-05-2014, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
I'd think your tv's processing is all that is needed.

post #18160 of 18352 Old 09-06-2014, 07:49 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoF View Post
Greetings,

I own a BDP-103 with the latest firmware (great player and great forum !). It is connected to a pre-HDMI Rotel RSX-1056 receiver via both Coaxial Digital and Analog outputs. My front speakers are set to large on both devices. I was playing a stereo redbook CD to compare the sound quality between those two connections (comparing the DACs, I suppose), when I noticed something I can't explain...

According to the Oppo's user manual : "Speaker Configuration mainly applies to the multi-channel analog audio outputs. However, when Coaxial/Optical Output is set to LPCM in the Setup Menu, its signal becomes a down-mixed stereo version of the multi-channel signal that is sent to the multi-channel analog audio outputs. As a result, the LPCM signal from the coaxial and optical output is affected by the settings in Speaker Configuration."

However, based on what I'm hearing (and measuring with an SPL meter), it seems the speaker trims on the Oppo's Speaker Configuration screen DO affect the volume level via the Coaxial Digital connection even if Coaxial/Optical Output is set to Bitstream in the Oppo's Setup Menu. I can clearly demonstrate that with reedbook CDs, although DD/DTS movie soundtracks don't seem to be affected (as expected).

I'm a bit puzzled with the above behavior... Any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
When you play LPCM content (such as from a CD disc), the Coaxial/Optical output is LPCM even if you have Bitstream set. I.e., the player does not try to encode that content into a Bitstream.
--Bob

post #18161 of 18352 Old 09-06-2014, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Roku stick video output.

My apologies if this has been asked already. I searched but could not find an answer to my problem.
I just installed a Roku stick into the front MHL on my103. Set up was easy and while I can navigate around the channels with no problem, when I try playing any of them, I get audio only and no video, only a violet colored screen on my Panny VT60. The 103 is connected by the HDMI 1 output to a Def Technology soundbar and that in turn to the TV. I prefer not to use the alternate connection using HDMI 2 for audio and HDMI 1 for video and connected directly to the TV because this way I lose the OSD of the soundbar. My cable input is also connected to the 103 in the same manner and works flawlessly. I've searched the setting in the menu and can see nothing that should be changed to correct the problem. Can anyone offer a solution?
Thank you.
post #18162 of 18352 Old 09-06-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Drennan View Post
My apologies if this has been asked already. I searched but could not find an answer to my problem.
I just installed a Roku stick into the front MHL on my103. Set up was easy and while I can navigate around the channels with no problem, when I try playing any of them, I get audio only and no video, only a violet colored screen on my Panny VT60. The 103 is connected by the HDMI 1 output to a Def Technology soundbar and that in turn to the TV. I prefer not to use the alternate connection using HDMI 2 for audio and HDMI 1 for video and connected directly to the TV because this way I lose the OSD of the soundbar. My cable input is also connected to the 103 in the same manner and works flawlessly. I've searched the setting in the menu and can see nothing that should be changed to correct the problem. Can anyone offer a solution?
Thank you.
This is certainly an HDMI issue, possibly a failed handshake. Be sure the Roku is set to output 1080, and set the player to output 1080 and 4:4:4 color space. Do not use "auto" settings in the player. I'm pretty sure the Roku outputs RGB color space, so you want to be sure the Oppo converts that to 4:4:4. Clearly the soundbar has limitations on what it can pass through.
post #18163 of 18352 Old 09-06-2014, 03:06 PM

Thank you for your response. Both the player and the stick are set at 1080 and I changed the color space from Auto to 4:4:4: but this didn't help. I emailed the problem description to Oppo hoping that they may have a suggestion. As it stands, I'm stumped for a solution. Thanks again
post #18164 of 18352 Old 09-06-2014, 03:31 PM

I just received a reply from Oppo saying that the player is faulty and that I should return it for repair. Since the player functions perfectly well in every other aspect, I won't bother doing that and instead, probably purchase a non-MHL Roku to use instead.
post #18165 of 18352 Old 09-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Try setting 1080p/24 Output to OFF. Also try setting the OPPO Resolution to 1080i. If 1080i/60 output works but 1080p/60 output does not, then consider improving your HDMI cables.
--Bob
post #18166 of 18352 Old 09-06-2014, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a new 103 on my home network. It has a good internet connection (connection test works.)

I can access files on my Windows 8 media server (JRiver MC20) via the remote on the 103; I can pull files into the 103 and play them.

I have not been able to figure out how to "push" music files to the 103. From other computers my 103 is not showing up in the list of devices on my network, which I suspect is part of why I can't push to it.

I searched this thread, and it's probably somewhere in the prior 600+ pages, but I couldn't find it.

What do I need to do to push music files to my 103 and use it as a renderer?
post #18167 of 18352 Old 09-06-2014, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
When you play LPCM content (such as from a CD disc), the Coaxial/Optical output is LPCM even if you have Bitstream set. I.e., the player does not try to encode that content into a Bitstream.
--Bob
Thank you Bob, now I understand.
post #18168 of 18352 Old 09-07-2014, 06:09 AM

Thanks Bob, I will try these options to see if it works.
post #18169 of 18352 Old 09-07-2014, 07:26 AM

No luck with your suggestions Bob, neither worked. I guess I'll just buy an HDMI version stick and use the remaining HDMI input on the Def Tech soundbar to access the Roku content. Would liked to have gotten the benefit of the Qdeo processor in the Oppo, it certainly makes a difference with my cable signal even on a calibrated plasma. Thanks again for your assistance.
post #18170 of 18352 Old 09-07-2014, 07:46 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
No luck with your suggestions Bob, neither worked. I guess I'll just buy an HDMI version stick and use the remaining HDMI input on the Def Tech soundbar to access the Roku content. Would liked to have gotten the benefit of the Qdeo processor in the Oppo, it certainly makes a difference with my cable signal even on a calibrated plasma. Thanks again for your assistance.
Why not return the player for repair, as Oppo suggests? If there's something wrong with it, it's possible the problem could get worse if you don't get it fixed.
post #18171 of 18352 Old 09-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ What he said. OPPO has very fast turn-around time for player repairs.
--Bob

post #18172 of 18352 Old 09-07-2014, 08:30 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post
I have a new 103 on my home network. It has a good internet connection (connection test works.)

I can access files on my Windows 8 media server (JRiver MC20) via the remote on the 103; I can pull files into the 103 and play them.

I have not been able to figure out how to "push" music files to the 103. From other computers my 103 is not showing up in the list of devices on my network, which I suspect is part of why I can't push to it.

I searched this thread, and it's probably somewhere in the prior 600+ pages, but I couldn't find it.

What do I need to do to push music files to my 103 and use it as a renderer?
Go to Setup > Network Setup > Connection information and find out the IP address that has been assigned to the OPPO.

Now go to your computer and see if you can PING that IP address. (Use whatever Help function your computer offers to find out how to do a PING command.)

If you can PING the OPPO then the computer is seeing it on the network. Now you need to set up a DLNA server on your computer to "push" files to the OPPO. I.e., you can't just do a file transfer or some such.

If you CAN'T PING the OPPO then the computer is blocked from seeing it for some reason. The likely culprits are a software firewall running on your computer (e.g., Windows or Mac firewall or something like Norton Internet Security) or some sort of security setting in your house's network Router.
--Bob

post #18173 of 18352 Old 09-07-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Why not return the player for repair, as Oppo suggests? If there's something wrong with it, it's possible the problem could get worse if you don't get it fixed.
I take your point, I may just do that, thanks.
post #18174 of 18352 Old 09-07-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
I don't think APE files contain any metadata/album art, etc. You need the corresponding ".apl" file to go with your ".ape" files. ".apl" will contain your metadata, including album art.
APE files so support ID3v2 tags, including cover art, but the media software in use may not be set to do that.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center

or
post #18175 of 18352 Old 09-07-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Greetings,
My home theater is *so* perfectly setup (audio is sync'd & True Audio/DTS works), I cannot believe how well it works. That said, I need to mess with something.

I have a few sources (DVR, Roku & Oppo 103D) connected to a Denon 2309 that feeds a Panasonic plasma. I have dual outputs on my 103D connected to the TV & AVR. In this mode, there's no audio output to the TV (as expected).

My question: I would like to toy with ARC. The Panny has apps (netflix, amazon prime & youtube) whose audio I'd like to ARC to the 103D, but I haven't had any luck so far. By putting the 103D in dual mode, I turn off audio *to* the TV, but does this somehow turn audio *from* the TV?
  • With the 103D's remote, I select ARC:HDMI OUT 1. I have also toggled Dual HDMI Output between Split A/V & Dual.
  • I have a compatible HDMI cable
  • I'm using the HDMI (ARC) input on the TV, once I go into Viera link/connect, it says it interfaces correctly, but in the end, no audio is played (nor do the appropriate LEDs on the AVR light (to signify 2.0/5.1 audio).

This is far from a show killer as I use the Roku for netflix/amazon via 5ghz wireless. The TV has both apps and 5ghz wireless. The 103D only has netflix and 2.4ghz (boo). I'd love to use the 103D for all movie watching activities, but it's hardware & software limited.

Any help to get audio via ARC?
Thanks in advance.
post #18176 of 18352 Old 09-07-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzlobo View Post
Greetings,
My home theater is *so* perfectly setup (audio is sync'd & True Audio/DTS works), I cannot believe how well it works. That said, I need to mess with something.

I have a few sources (DVR, Roku & Oppo 103D) connected to a Denon 2309 that feeds a Panasonic plasma. I have dual outputs on my 103D connected to the TV & AVR. In this mode, there's no audio output to the TV (as expected).

My question: I would like to toy with ARC. The Panny has apps (netflix, amazon prime & youtube) whose audio I'd like to ARC to the 103D, but I haven't had any luck so far. By putting the 103D in dual mode, I turn off audio *to* the TV, but does this somehow turn audio *from* the TV?
  • With the 103D's remote, I select ARC:HDMI OUT 1. I have also toggled Dual HDMI Output between Split A/V & Dual.
  • I have a compatible HDMI cable
  • I'm using the HDMI (ARC) input on the TV, once I go into Viera link/connect, it says it interfaces correctly, but in the end, no audio is played (nor do the appropriate LEDs on the AVR light (to signify 2.0/5.1 audio).

This is far from a show killer as I use the Roku for netflix/amazon via 5ghz wireless. The TV has both apps and 5ghz wireless. The 103D only has netflix and 2.4ghz (boo). I'd love to use the 103D for all movie watching activities, but it's hardware & software limited.

Any help to get audio via ARC?
Thanks in advance.
The TV becomes the source. Whatever is on the ARC output port needs to go directly to the OPPO.
post #18177 of 18352 Old 09-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
I take your point, I may just do that, thanks.
Also, if you ever get to the point where you want to sell your player and upgrade to the next version, you'll probably have an easier time selling it if it doesn't have defects.
post #18178 of 18352 Old 09-08-2014, 11:24 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post
Also, if you ever get to the point where you want to sell your player and upgrade to the next version, you'll probably have an easier time selling it if it doesn't have defects.
Yup. And get more money for it too.
post #18179 of 18352 Old 09-08-2014, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This might sound like a dumb question but I am thinking about getting one of these players and also thinking about bypassing my AVR since it does not have HDMI ports. It is an older H/K AVR 635.

If I go multi-out directly to my amp bypassing my AVR, does the oppo have any bass and treble controls? Or is it limited to just setting the crossovers and it gives you what you get?

I'm really not wanting to upgrade my H/K as it is one that was made back when they were solid units. I have already auditioned about 10 avrs in the hopes I could find one that had the harmon sound and just couldn't find one. Anthem MRX being the closest.
post #18180 of 18352 Old 09-08-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiotypE View Post
This might sound like a dumb question but I am thinking about getting one of these players and also thinking about bypassing my AVR since it does not have HDMI ports. It is an older H/K AVR 635.

If I go multi-out directly to my amp bypassing my AVR, does the oppo have any bass and treble controls? Or is it limited to just setting the crossovers and it gives you what you get?

I'm really not wanting to upgrade my H/K as it is one that was made back when they were solid units. I have already auditioned about 10 avrs in the hopes I could find one that had the harmon sound and just couldn't find one. Anthem MRX being the closest.
No need to bypass the H/K. Feed the HDMI video directly to the display but route the multichannel analog from the Oppo to the H/K. All the tone controls you always had.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page