Forum Jump: 

post #18301 of 18311 Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoF View Post
Feelingblue : that is amazing !!! Thank you so much for sharing your discovery with us !

Bob : please, PLEASE, do NOT report that as a bug ! I feel the trick uncovered by Feelingblue is the closest we've ever been to what many people were asking for in the past, i.e. a "halfway" HDMI1 Sharpness setting between 0 and +1 (since the full jump is too drastic). I'd say setting Sharpness in HDMI2 as +16, while still watching via HDMI1, is roughly the equivalent of an HDMI1 Sharpness setting of +0.3.

Please don't take that away from us !!!

PS: Tested and still functional with the latest Beta.
If this is to be kept, and I can see why some would want it kept, then I believe that the sharpness control slider from HDMI 2 should be added to the HDMI 1 control panel. Ideally with separate settings for each which might be more difficult, but at minimum I would want to be able to access the control in the HDMI 1 page and have the sliders linked together.

The overall picture might be improved if this is fixed depending on why this is happening. If something that could be bypassed is not being bypassed, then the picture on HDMI 1 might be improved.

My thinking is that HDMI 2 (decoder output) feeds both HDMI outputs and although the sharpness control could be accessed and set as it is now using both HDMI setup pages, it is not, as this would require another slider in HDMI 1 and it might be quite difficult to have separate values for each output. In this case, the picture would not improve having this fixed. But it could be that something that should be bypassed for HDMI 1 output is not being bypassed which would improve the picture for HDMI 1.

Although I do like the sharpness of HDMI 2 better, I use HDMI 1 as the color and overall depth is better. I do like the much finer adjustment range provided by the HDMI 2 slider, but even at with HDMI 2 slider at sharpness +1, I lose some depth on HDMI 1. So my preference is to have it fixed by simply having HDMI 2 sharpness only affect HDMI 2.

Last edited by kellybob; Yesterday at 08:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18302 of 18311 Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Each slider in the post processing sections certainly acts in a different part of the video chain
(inside the decoder, befor / after render, before / after internal scaling and so on)

In my situation, in HDMI2 PP, only sharpnes slider interact with both output.
Nobody know the exactly reason of this, surely becasue act in a point of video chain with is not bypassed in HDMI1.

Is a strange bug becasue is not pejorative but ameliorative.
If you don't like.... dont youse! Simply.

what I'm trying to figure out is if the European players work differently.

I have a different perception of the image:

1)For my, in HDMI2, there are chroma dissalineament and this mean probabily some destructive back conversion of chroma upsampling.
Someting wrong in video chain..
the problem is that, in realtime, with same color space settings, simply only changing cable from HDMI2 to HDMI1, put things correctly.. magically chroma become perfect. I must investigate.

2) Puttin HDMI2 sharpness slider to +1 i don't see any visible changing to image.
I Have a VPR in a 2.5mt base screen, therefore is easy for me to notice subtle details.
Pheraps sharpnes in HDMI2 in EU players is even more .. fine.

Concluding, for me, the best image possible is HDMI1 with fine HDMI2 sharpness.
post #18303 of 18311 Old Today, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
SACDExtract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
SMD,

I'm not sure if they are DSD64 just that they are DSF files. A fellow AVS member was so kind to convert my ISO files to DSF files .

Another issue I found is that I'm unable to use gapless playback with the SACD DSF files. Gapless playback works fine with Hi-Res FLAC files I have. Is there an issue with the Oppo's playing gapless with DSF files?

Bill
Bill, as per my response to you yesterday, gapless DSD (either Direct DSD or DSD to PCM conversion) doesn't work and I wouldn't hold your breath for it to be implemented by Oppo. (although Jriver Media Centre on my PC does it with ease)

If you still have your .iso files, it would be a simple job to re-convert them yourself (the software is free, readily available and easy to use with no complicated options to optimise) and extract your own iso's into DSDIFF Edit Master (.dff) files with a cue sheet.
I left my PC running overnight and it did ~250 SACD iso extractions into multichannel and stereo variants (although it then took me a few hours to then edit a few cue sheets and put the files into folders etc.)
post #18304 of 18311 Old Today, 12:40 AM

As an aside, I shall now spout heresy....
Due to exactly these issues, I would have planned my home theatre / HiFi setup differently knowing what I know now and not gone for the Oppo but spent the money on a proper Surround Sound Processor instead.
The Oppo is primarily a universal disc player, (which it does exceptionally well as a stand alone unit) with some OK but not-very-good bolt-on facilities like media player (via attached USB drives, or NAS streaming, or HTPC streaming) and USB DAC (stereo only) all with clunky interfaces and pre-amplifier functions which all work in a rudimentary way but not great. However, I hardly ever use it to spin discs now - a few movies or shows a week, as I am not a couch potato.

Most of what I use my system for is music listening, multichannel and stereo.
I have around 250 SACD/DVDA and almost 2000 CD's which I have archived to digital storage and the discs are now boxed up and stored away. I use the Oppo's clunky and non graphical interface to scroll (father than flip and browse my way) through the contents of my USB hard drive to listen to music. Admittedly the Oppo iPad app is faster and way better than the tap-tap-tap-tap-tap scroll "function" of the remote control way for doing this but on the iPhone the track titles get cut off making it hard to use.

I buy and watch Blu-ray discs but will not archive these as I rarely want to watch the same movie too frequently and the files are huge so the shiny disc is a nice compact way to store them anyway.

Today, I would choose to use my old PS3 as a competant Blu-ray (and DVD) spinner outputting fairly untouched, unsharpened, neutral video at 1080p24 and bitstreamed audio via HDMI. The PS3 is a very basic Blu-ray player, but that's what we all strive for really: - just the digital video and digital audio lifted off the disc and minimally processed and fed out via HDMI. I am 100% certain that the transport in the Oppo 105 is little better at doing this than the PS3.

I would then have a micro HTPC running JRiver Media Centre outputting my stereo and multichannel music files (and the occasional movie) via bit-perfect DSD and PCM over HDMI.

Both of these would feed a dedicated SSP (Surround Sound Processor) (basically a high-end DAC like the Oppo 105's Sabre reference chips plus full and customisable pre-amp functions plus room correction like Audyssey or Dirac Live) whose 7.1 line-outs would go to my power amps and sub.
I recognise that the HTPC and SSP would have cost me twice as much as the Oppo 105, but I think it would be a much more adaptable system. As ever, I'm finding that the one-solution-in-a-box system is a jack of all trades and master of none, albeit with a sound that I really like.

Of note, just about every post in these threads are about getting the extended features of the Oppo to work properly or to be customised as best as the limitations will let us and not about it's competent performance to handle us sticking in a Blu-Ray and getting an unprocessed HDMI video signal to the display.........
post #18305 of 18311 Old Today, 12:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkChat View Post
Bill, as per my response to you yesterday, gapless DSD (either Direct DSD or DSD to PCM conversion) doesn't work and I wouldn't hold your breath for it to be implemented by Oppo. (although Jriver Media Centre on my PC does it with ease)

If you still have your .iso files, it would be a simple job to re-convert them yourself (the software is free, readily available and easy to use with no complicated options to optimise) and extract your own iso's into DSDIFF Edit Master (.dff) files with a cue sheet.
I left my PC running overnight and it did ~250 SACD iso extractions into multichannel and stereo variants (although it then took me a few hours to then edit a few cue sheets and put the files into folders etc.)

Mark,

Thank you for the above information. I will look at that as an option. But unfortunately I'm not very computer savvy with stuff like this.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #18306 of 18311 Old Today, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post
Mark,

Thank you for the above information. I will look at that as an option. But unfortunately I'm not very computer savvy with stuff like this.

Bill
Honestly, Bill, it is simple. The 3 file package to do it is here. It doesn't need to be installed into Windows bit is run as an executable.

http://www.rendu.sonore.us/apps2.html

The LONG forum posts that go into details etc are here:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f1...5/index87.html

I only post that as it shows you that the software is not adware or viral and lots of people use it.
post #18307 of 18311 Old Today, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelingblue View Post
Each slider in the post processing sections certainly acts in a different part of the video chain
(inside the decoder, befor / after render, before / after internal scaling and so on)

In my situation, in HDMI2 PP, only sharpnes slider interact with both output.
Nobody know the exactly reason of this, surely becasue act in a point of video chain with is not bypassed in HDMI1.

Is a strange bug becasue is not pejorative but ameliorative.
If you don't like.... dont youse! Simply.

what I'm trying to figure out is if the European players work differently.

I have a different perception of the image:

1)For my, in HDMI2, there are chroma dissalineament and this mean probabily some destructive back conversion of chroma upsampling.
Someting wrong in video chain..
the problem is that, in realtime, with same color space settings, simply only changing cable from HDMI2 to HDMI1, put things correctly.. magically chroma become perfect. I must investigate.

2) Puttin HDMI2 sharpness slider to +1 i don't see any visible changing to image.
I Have a VPR in a 2.5mt base screen, therefore is easy for me to notice subtle details.
Pheraps sharpnes in HDMI2 in EU players is even more .. fine.

Concluding, for me, the best image possible is HDMI1 with fine HDMI2 sharpness.
I recently got a new old stock CD player that has a headphone output. I found the headphone output quite interesting as this is the first time I have tweaked something while listening in real time. Simply and slightly moving cables around inside the player changes the sound significantly. I also have noticed on so far two CD players and the BDP-103 and one TV that most of the menu options change the sound. The CD players and the Oppo sound different, for example, when in repeat 1 or repeat all (repeat chapter, repeat title for the Oppo). Point here, is that everything affects everything. The 103 has different sound in all of these modes: no repeat, repeat chapter, and repeat title. Now I imagine not many will hear this difference.

I am not sure that this issue does not have a detrimental affect on the video. I do not know what is going on internally. Oppo does not make schematics available and I am not sure even with it I could tell as sometimes internal changes inside a chip changes things. It might not have a detrimental effect. One effect is that the two outputs cannot have different sharpness settings, well they can, but cannot be totally independently tweaked.

If this does not have a detrimental effect, then to me, the way to keep it is to put the HDMI 2 sharpness also in the HDMI 1 control panel and label it in such a way that it is known it affects both outputs or do so in the footnotes/description. The player now is not telling me the truth in that a control that is only in the HDMI 2 setup also affects the HDMI 1 output. This should certainly be corrected.

Last edited by kellybob; Today at 01:44 AM.
post #18308 of 18311 Old Today, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Kellybob,

Out of interest, how clean is your electricity supply?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18309 of 18311 Old Today, 01:40 AM

I installed the JVB Digital internal mod today in my 103.

I noticed that any changes using the JVB Digital mod are not reflected using 0770 at the setup screen. However, 0770 will tell you if the SuperDisk mod is still in effect. I did have to reinstall the SuperDisk mod after one firmware update. And the JVB Digital mod setting overrides the SuperDisk.

If you use 0770, DO NOT click the OK button as this will reset the player. Use the setup button to exit.

Last edited by kellybob; Today at 01:45 AM.
post #18310 of 18311 Old Today, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Kellybob,

Out of interest, how clean is your electricity supply?
Not sure where you are going with this? I can tell you my setup, but I have no scope or anything to test how clean my electricity supply is.
post #18311 of 18311 Old Today, 02:36 AM

I noticed last night while watching Back To The Future Part 2 BD that turning off the button sounds slightly improved the sound of the audio clip that was playing at the top menu. Toggling back and forth, it was quite easy to hear the difference.

I could not test on the fly while listening to the movie as the pop up menu setup menu does not have the button sounds control in it. I had to go to the top menu and change button sounds which then started the movie over. While I could easily hear this toggling in real time, I do not think I could tell with all the time in between, but I imagine it does improve the sound, period.

This was done with secondary audio set to off and using the coax out.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page