Old 10-14-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I bought the MHL stick that is for the Oppo and now I regret it. I don't know when I would ever use it since it only works with the Oppo? I should have waited and bought the HDMI stick which is portable and can be used while traveling, etc.
The MHL stick works with any device that has an MHL port. It works fine on my AVR which has an MHL port.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
There seems to be an error in both the 103 and 105 manuals (and "D" manuals too ?) with respect to the video setup/picture adjustment menu and the "sharpness" control. Both manuals state that HDMI 2 sharpness has a range from 0 to +2, but on my 105 (and I assume the 103 is identical), the HDMI 2 sharpness can go from 0 to +16. I know a lot of Oppo owners don't even use those controls and there have been numerous recommendations to keep all the HDMI output settings at 0, so maybe that's why this error in the 103/105 manuals hasn't been noted before.
It's more that just the manual. My HDMI2 Sharpness Control really does max out at +2. Haven't checked it on the 103D as a bit of extra sharpness would be completely unnecessary with that, but I could tonight, just to see.

None of this is a big deal of course, I just thought I'd give this little anomaly a test drive and see if it wasn't pleasing to me. I've always liked everything about the QDEO except what I perceived as an occasional softness. The very noticeable ringing produced by sharpness +1 on HDMI1 is totally unacceptable to me but 1/3 or so the sharpness is something I'd be willing to try.

I see no effect on HDMI1 when I max out the sharpness at +2 on HDMI2.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The MHL stick works with any device that has an MHL port. It works fine on my AVR which has an MHL port.
Hmmm? I have a Denon receiver but I don't know if it has an MHL port. Thanks from a fellow New Mexican!

lujan
726 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
Old 10-14-2014, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
If you send a request to Oppo, they'll send you back the document for the network protocol. Just be warned that it's not nearly as simple a protocol as the RS-232 commands are. If you're trying to control from something like a Crestron controller, you'll probably be a lot happier sticking with RS-232, IMO.
Thanks. I got a prompt reply from Oppo support with the spec attached, so I have to admit that this was easier than expected (compared to other electronics mfgs.).
Old 10-14-2014, 12:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 1038
Quote:
Hmmm? I have a Denon receiver but I don't know if it has an MHL port. Thanks from a fellow New Mexican!
The ROKU Stick as sold by OPPO is an OEM bundle, which means it does not come with ROKU's own remote control. When used with the OPPO it responds to the OPPO's own remote control so no need for the one from ROKU. But if you plug it into something else, something that is *NOT* a ROKU ready device -- i.e., configured to expect the Stick and do things like remote control integration -- then you will miss not having the ROKU's own remote.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 12
One advantage of the Roku 3 remote control is that it has a headphone jack. You can actually plug into it and mute your speakers and listen without bothering other folks in your house. That is a brilliant idea. Whoever came up with it deserves a raise.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ha! I posted that comment and immediately the banner ad at the top of the page was an advertisement promoting the same feature!
Old 10-14-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
MHL port adoption has been slow, but many TVs and AVRs built since 2013 have one. The slow adoption is likely the main reason that Roku went with the HDMI version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The ROKU Stick as sold by OPPO is an OEM bundle, which means it does not come with ROKU's own remote control. When used with the OPPO it responds to the OPPO's own remote control so no need for the one from ROKU. But if you plug it into something else, something that is *NOT* a ROKU ready device -- i.e., configured to expect the Stick and do things like remote control integration -- then you will miss not having the ROKU's own remote.
--Bob
Not entirely accurate there Bob. It works great on my new Yamaha AVR's MHL port, and the Yamaha remote also controls it. No mention in the Yamaha specs of being "Roku ready".
Old 10-14-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Not entirely accurate there Bob. It works great on my new Yamaha AVR's MHL port, and the Yamaha remote also controls it. No mention in the Yamaha specs of being "Roku ready".
That's interesting. I also didn't realize that any other OEM had incorporated Roku remote commands into their device remote.
I wonder if they sent Oppo a thank you card? Who knows though, maybe it was Roku's brainiacs who thought the idea up.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 10-14-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
That's interesting. I also didn't realize that any other OEM had incorporated Roku remote commands into their device remote.
I wonder if they sent Oppo a thank you card? Who knows though, maybe it was Roku's brainiacs who thought the idea up.
I may well be all wet here, but my assumption has been that the MHL spec includes some basic remote command codes - which Roku would be using. Seems to me like the whole MHL idea would depend on that.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
I may well be all wet here, but my assumption has been that the MHL spec includes some basic remote command codes - which Roku would be using. Seems to me like the whole MHL idea would depend on that.
The MHL spec, going all the way back to v1, requires support for CEC, which is the mechanism by which the "host" remote can control the inserted device. Let's face it, the buttons on the Roku remotes are pretty basic. LURDS plus "Return", "Home", "Pause", "Play", "Cue Fwd", and "Cue Backward". About the only gotcha is the "*" key.

These should fall well within all but the most basic CEC implementations. I would expect most MHL implementations to do a decent job with that.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
Old 10-14-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
The MHL spec, going all the way back to v1, requires support for CEC, which is the mechanism by which the "host" remote can control the inserted device. Let's face it, the buttons on the Roku remotes are pretty basic. LURDS plus "Return", "Home", "Pause", "Play", "Cue Fwd", and "Cue Backward". About the only gotcha is the "*" key.

These should fall well within all but the most basic CEC implementations. I would expect most MHL implementations to do a decent job with that.
Makes perfect sense. Although I have CEC turned off in all devices and the MHL stick still works.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 22
https://www.roku.com/roku-ready/certified-products

I may try it in my Denon, even though its not on the list
LairdWilliams likes this.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Makes perfect sense. Although I have CEC turned off in all devices and the MHL stick still works.
I don't think you can turn CEC off on an MHL connection. It just would not be a configuration that would make sense. You might be able to turn CEC off on that input/port - but I would think/HOPE that this would mean "turn off CEC for Normal, non-MHL HDMI devices".

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-87 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...
Old 10-14-2014, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad4.0 View Post
DSOTM?? Get the Blu Ray or the SACD!
Lol! I do own the DSOTM on SACD and The Wall on vinyl. It's just that I have 2TB hard disk plugged to the Oppo via USB and usually listen to music through it.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhattan View Post
Lol! I do own the DSOTM on SACD and The Wall on vinyl. It's just that I have 2TB hard disk plugged to the Oppo via USB and usually listen to music through it.
BUT! The BD has the original quad production by Alan Parsons of both albums, plus the new 5.1 version, along with a 2.0 version. DSOTM, and WYWH
Old 10-15-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quick question since I've been away from the thread for ages: I haven't been updating my firmware on my player because I've been enjoying sacd-r backups for some time now. I'm curious with the newest firmware can DSD files be streamed over the network? Or do they need to be played from attached storage? I have a WD Mycloud NAS connected to my router, and the BDP-103 is hard wired to the router as well. Would my oppo be able to play the DSF/DFF files off my NAS?
Old 10-15-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post
I'm curious with the newest firmware can DSD files be streamed over the network? Or do they need to be played from attached storage? I have a WD Mycloud NAS connected to my router, and the BDP-103 is hard wired to the router as well. Would my oppo be able to play the DSF/DFF files off my NAS?
Yes, DSD (.dsf and .dff) files can be streamed via an SMB or UPnP network connection. All of mine are stored on a Synology NAS and I navigate to them using the Oppo's GUI
Jottle likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
Old 10-16-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Can I connect both HDMI 1 and 2 to my AVR? I'm wanting to connect HDMI 2 for DSD .

Army Rangers lead the way!

Pioneer SC-1523K, OPPO-103, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
Old 10-16-2014, 10:54 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post
Can I connect both HDMI 1 and 2 to my AVR? I'm wanting to connect HDMI 2 for DSD .
I can give you a definite "maybe". The problem is, some AVRs keep their non-selected HDMI Inputs "live". That would mean you have two HDMI paths trying to handshake into that single device (the AVR). Depending on the AVR's HDMI implementation, that can cause problems -- the typical symptom being endless HDMI retries because Copy Protection is not happy.

A typical culprit here is HDMI CEC (remote control over the HDMI cable) which keeps non-selected sockets live so they can detect when something turns on at the other end of the cable. Sometimes you can simply turn that off in the AVR.

If it handshakes without problems with either that HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 input selected in the AVR then you should be OK. The OPPO has no problem with both being connected.

By the way, if you've been considering an upgrade, the newer 103D and 105D add the ability to transmit HDMI DSD audio on the HDMI 1 output as well.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 10-16-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I can give you a definite "maybe". The problem is, some AVRs keep their non-selected HDMI Inputs "live". That would mean you have two HDMI paths trying to handshake into that single device (the AVR). Depending on the AVR's HDMI implementation, that can cause problems -- the typical symptom being endless HDMI retries because Copy Protection is not happy.

A typical culprit here is HDMI CEC (remote control over the HDMI cable) which keeps non-selected sockets live so they can detect when something turns on at the other end of the cable. Sometimes you can simply turn that off in the AVR.

If it handshakes without problems with either that HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 input selected in the AVR then you should be OK. The OPPO has no problem with both being connected.

By the way, if you've been considering an upgrade, the newer 103D and 105D add the ability to transmit HDMI DSD audio on the HDMI 1 output as well.
--Bob

Thanks for your response. I had guessed that is the answer I would get. I've only had the 103 for about a month plus already own a Darbee as the reason for inquiring about this possibility. I'll try it later and post my findings.

Pioneer SC-1523K, OPPO-103, Sharp Q+ 60" display, Monster Power HDP IR 2550, Klipsch Quintet SL, Klipsch Sub 12
Old 10-16-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubertoliver View Post
Thanks for your response. I had guessed that is the answer I would get. I've only had the 103 for about a month plus already own a Darbee as the reason for inquiring about this possibility. I'll try it later and post my findings.
It works! No issues at all!

Old 10-17-2014, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
From Thread:

AVS
official-oppo-bdp-103d-darbee-edition-owner-s-thread

Quote:
^ You need to use a 103D or 105D with the latest firmware (not a 103 or 105) and you need a 4K TV with an HDMI 2.0 input that also supports YCbCr 4:2:0 data format for input. I forget whether 4:2:0 is mandatory for HDMI 2.0 inputs. Cable HDMI 1 from the OPPO to the TV.
--Bob

My Question: ????????
I have the EU Version. I hope this great 60hz feature comes soon maybe for us EU Oppo103 User!?
Why only for the Darbee Edition?
i have the Darbee Darblet seperate in use.
What are the differences technical in the 103`s Editions?

Greetings from Germany
Old 10-17-2014, 05:17 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ I responded to your post in the other thread.

The 103D and 105D have newer HDMI hardware than the 103 and 105. As far as I know, this feature can not happen on the 103 or 105.
--Bob

Old 10-17-2014, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
^ I responded to your post in the other thread.

The 103D and 105D have newer HDMI hardware than the 103 and 105. As far as I know, this feature can not happen on the 103 or 105.
--Bob
Thanks for your answer!

That means: i stay with 4k 30hz only.
Or i sell my EU Oppo and buy the Darbee Edition.

No.... i stay with my EU Oppo HDMI- Old - Hdmi Hardware-Player.
Old 10-17-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
The new MediaControl app needs the 0827B Public Beta firmware -- not out just yet as an Official release. (Public Beta firmware is not offered for network install.)

You install the Public Beta firmware by downloading it from the OPPO support page and installing it via a USB stick. Instructions and the download link are here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-b...-77-0827B.aspx

--Bob
One nice thing I noticed after installing this latest beta is that there is no delay after pausing a movie anymore. There used to be a second or 2 delay after pausing a movie and someone on this forum said that the disc had to spin up again after a pause by design. There is no longer this pause and the movie immediately starts to play with no delay. Me likey

lujan
726 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
Old 10-17-2014, 11:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Hey,
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I'm playing DLNA content from my home network through the Oppo 103, and I noticed something odd on some foreign language stuff. I listen to a lot of world music, so I have some CDs from Israel that actually contain Hebrew language metadata, as well as a few things in Greek I've picked up, to go with my normal English language rock, pop, etc. I burned the content to a hard drive using JRiver, and have the media center set to push the content through my network.

When I go to my Network and look at files in the tree structure, the Hebrew language artist and track names show up correctly as they do on my PC, written from right to left. However, if I select a track, the titles for the "Now Playing" track shown on the screen are written from left to right. It's amusing if you read and speak the language (which I do, with limited fluency conversationally), but I wonder if it's an Oppo thing or a DLNA thing.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

Old 10-18-2014, 08:09 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrucker View Post
Hey,
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I'm playing DLNA content from my home network through the Oppo 103, and I noticed something odd on some foreign language stuff. I listen to a lot of world music, so I have some CDs from Israel that actually contain Hebrew language metadata, as well as a few things in Greek I've picked up, to go with my normal English language rock, pop, etc. I burned the content to a hard drive using JRiver, and have the media center set to push the content through my network.

When I go to my Network and look at files in the tree structure, the Hebrew language artist and track names show up correctly as they do on my PC, written from right to left. However, if I select a track, the titles for the "Now Playing" track shown on the screen are written from left to right. It's amusing if you read and speak the language (which I do, with limited fluency conversationally), but I wonder if it's an Oppo thing or a DLNA thing.
Does the same thing happen if you play the tracks via a SMB share or on a locally attached storage device? If so, then it's most likely an Oppo issue. I'd suggest contacting Oppo and offer to provide them with a sample file to test with.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronton3 View Post
The Username and Password would be the account used to log into your computer. However, this function is still not working properly as we are using SMB 2.0 and this is not working correctly even in the latest version of Yosemite.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

So I guess no one with OSX is using the 103 through SAMBA, the email came today from OPPO, they were prompt(same day Sunday), I may try one of the apps to change smb on the Imac. Thanks for the help guys. nron
I've been successfully using SMBup with OSX 10.8, 9 and now 10. To the developer's credit, the application installs all of the necessary components. Setup takes a little patience, but the documentation for such is good.

I installed Yosemite last night, hoping that SMB3 would eliminate the occasional need to restart SMBup and provide a more robust connection (a restart is required on my system when the computer is restarted). I initially saw that SMBup continued to work fine, but not wanting to leave well enough alone, I uninstalled it and attempted to connect the 103 to my Mini running Yosemite. Unfortunately, I ran into the same authentication problem I saw with SMB2 that's mentioned above. After futzing with this a while, I reinstalled SMbup and it's running fine.

I recommend exploring this option, as it's the only way I'm aware to connect the 103 to an OSX machine. There are a number of things that seem not to work as they should, but the volumes and files they contain are accessible. The shares are also accessible using the remote iPad app.

Bruce
Old 10-18-2014, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 189
OPPO has a Knowledge Database for allowing SMB sharing with MacOSX, but due to the intensity of the configuration, I doubt they want to have many customers attempt to use SMBUp. Easier to just tell them to switch to DLNA DMP or DMR.

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc