Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 623 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 194Likes

post #18661 of 18670 Old 10-19-2014, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I need some help here. I just received my Oppo BDP 103D player and hooked it up and I have picture problems. here is what I have and what its doing.
Projector - JVC dla 500r which has 4k & 3D etc etc.
Receiver - Anthom mxr710 which has everything as well
Now how I connected it, was I ran from the oppo player HDMI 1 to the receiver and the receiver HDMI is ran to the projector.
My problem is when I put in a blue-ray movie, and with the Oppo player set on Auto it either takes the movie to 4k or 1080p and it starts playing the movie but then the picture cuts in & out & in & out & even goes streaky colors and stuff. the sound is good just picture cutting in & out. And when I put in a 3D movie I have sound but no picture at all. When I went into the menu on the oppo and turned the auto off and put it on 1080I everything works, except 3D but now I'm losing picture quality. Is it possible the processor in the oppo player is fighting with the processor in the Anthom receiver and causing this? or did I just hook it up wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18662 of 18670 Old 10-19-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwl641 View Post
I need some help here. I just received my Oppo BDP 103D player and hooked it up and I have picture problems. here is what I have and what its doing.
Projector - JVC dla 500r which has 4k & 3D etc etc.
Receiver - Anthom mxr710 which has everything as well
Now how I connected it, was I ran from the oppo player HDMI 1 to the receiver and the receiver HDMI is ran to the projector.
My problem is when I put in a blue-ray movie, and with the Oppo player set on Auto it either takes the movie to 4k or 1080p and it starts playing the movie but then the picture cuts in & out & in & out & even goes streaky colors and stuff. the sound is good just picture cutting in & out. And when I put in a 3D movie I have sound but no picture at all. When I went into the menu on the oppo and turned the auto off and put it on 1080I everything works, except 3D but now I'm losing picture quality. Is it possible the processor in the oppo player is fighting with the processor in the Anthom receiver and causing this? or did I just hook it up wrong?
Swap in a different HDMI cable between AVR and PJ, then between Oppo and AVR. See which one of them is causing the problem.
post #18663 of 18670 Old 10-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 896
^ As I recall, only one input of the MRX 710 works with 4K video. Make sure you are using that one. Check if your JVC has a restriction like this as well.

I forget whether you also have to have the MRX 710 set to "THROUGH" when passing 4K or 3D video through it. Check the Manual.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #18664 of 18670 Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi, guys. I am new to the forum. I am an owner of OPPO BDP 103 EU. Recently I bought Iron Maiden's album Dance of death on dvd-audio. When I play the dvd in my laptop it says there are three audio streams: dts, dd and stereo. When I play it in the oppo I can only choose between 5.1 surround and stereo. When I choose the 5.1 stream I can see on the display of my AVR Denon 4520 multi channel in. There is no dts or dd option (Inspite of that the sound is awesome). Why is that? Anything else on the disc plays fine.
Kalin
P.s. Sorry for my poor English
post #18665 of 18670 Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM

Hi, guys. I am new to the forum. I am an owner of OPPO BDP 103 EU. Recently I bought Iron Maiden's album Dance of death on dvd-audio. When I play the dvd in my laptop it says there are three audio streams: dts, dd and stereo. When I play it in the oppo I can only choose between 5.1 surround and stereo. When I choose the 5.1 stream I can see on the display of my AVR Denon 4520 multi channel in. There is no dts or dd option (Inspite of that the sound is awesome). Why is that? Anything else on the disc plays fine.
Kalin
post #18666 of 18670 Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctuary View Post
Kalin
Your laptop is only able to play the DVD-Video content on the disc. The Oppo is playing the DVD-Audio content, which typically has only high-red stereo and high-res 5.1 audio. The Oppo outputs LPCM from DVD-A discs.
post #18667 of 18670 Old Yesterday, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctuary View Post
Kalin
Your English is pretty darn good. Don't worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Your laptop is only able to play the DVD-Video content on the disc. The Oppo is playing the DVD-Audio content, which typically has only high-red stereo and high-res 5.1 audio. The Oppo outputs LPCM from DVD-A discs.
rdGrimes is dead right - but just to expand on this a bit with some background that will make his answer easier to understand...

DTS and DD both provide a way to cram a 5.1 soundtrack into the space available on a DVD-Video that is carrying the video for a movie around on it. The video for a movie takes up a lot of space on a DVD, and there is only a little bit of room left of the audio. They are part of the DVD-Video spec, and when you do surround sound on a normal DVD-Video, it is usually encoded using one or the other of these codecs. These codecs represent a trade-off between space and quality. The designers did a great job, and the quality still is pretty darn high...but if you don't NEED to make the trade-off...

The catch is that when you have no video (are at least very little of it), you have plenty of space to include all 6 channels of surround without having to "cram" anything. You can place all 6 channels on the disc with no compression and very little processing ... and that is the difference between your experience of playing on the PC (which is playing the "dvd-video" part of the disc - and hence the DTS/DD for surround) vs. on the Oppo (which is basically playing the DVD-Audio part of the disc, and hence does not NEED DTS/DD for surround).

You should note that there are later generations of DTS and Dolby, mostly for blu-ray, that take advantage of the space available and result in much-less of a trade-off between source quality and space.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...

Last edited by LairdWilliams; Yesterday at 01:53 PM.
post #18668 of 18670 Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

Thanks a lot, guys. The oppo is an awesome machine. I love it.
post #18669 of 18670 Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
The catch is that when you have no video (are at least very little of it), you have plenty of space to include all 6 channels of surround without having to "cram" anything. You can place all 6 channels on the disc with no compression and very little processing .
Not quite accurate. DVD-A uses MLP compression, which is the only thing that allows 5.1 lossless audio at DVD bit rates. Its similar to Dolby THD audio. Lossless, but very definitely compressed.
post #18670 of 18670 Old Today, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am looking into a new BD player. I am stuck between the 103 and 105. My question is: I see the 103 can down nix the analog to stereo, but the 105 has dedicated stereo analog outputs. Are the dedicated outputs worth the extra $500. I would be feeding it into a Yamaha A2000 AVR, with Monitor Radius 90's and a Velodyne sub 5.1 setup.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

User Tag List