Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 623 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 198Likes

post #18661 of 18685 Old 10-19-2014, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I need some help here. I just received my Oppo BDP 103D player and hooked it up and I have picture problems. here is what I have and what its doing.
Projector - JVC dla 500r which has 4k & 3D etc etc.
Receiver - Anthom mxr710 which has everything as well
Now how I connected it, was I ran from the oppo player HDMI 1 to the receiver and the receiver HDMI is ran to the projector.
My problem is when I put in a blue-ray movie, and with the Oppo player set on Auto it either takes the movie to 4k or 1080p and it starts playing the movie but then the picture cuts in & out & in & out & even goes streaky colors and stuff. the sound is good just picture cutting in & out. And when I put in a 3D movie I have sound but no picture at all. When I went into the menu on the oppo and turned the auto off and put it on 1080I everything works, except 3D but now I'm losing picture quality. Is it possible the processor in the oppo player is fighting with the processor in the Anthom receiver and causing this? or did I just hook it up wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18662 of 18685 Old 10-19-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwl641 View Post
I need some help here. I just received my Oppo BDP 103D player and hooked it up and I have picture problems. here is what I have and what its doing.
Projector - JVC dla 500r which has 4k & 3D etc etc.
Receiver - Anthom mxr710 which has everything as well
Now how I connected it, was I ran from the oppo player HDMI 1 to the receiver and the receiver HDMI is ran to the projector.
My problem is when I put in a blue-ray movie, and with the Oppo player set on Auto it either takes the movie to 4k or 1080p and it starts playing the movie but then the picture cuts in & out & in & out & even goes streaky colors and stuff. the sound is good just picture cutting in & out. And when I put in a 3D movie I have sound but no picture at all. When I went into the menu on the oppo and turned the auto off and put it on 1080I everything works, except 3D but now I'm losing picture quality. Is it possible the processor in the oppo player is fighting with the processor in the Anthom receiver and causing this? or did I just hook it up wrong?
Swap in a different HDMI cable between AVR and PJ, then between Oppo and AVR. See which one of them is causing the problem.
post #18663 of 18685 Old 10-19-2014, 02:47 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 906
^ As I recall, only one input of the MRX 710 works with 4K video. Make sure you are using that one. Check if your JVC has a restriction like this as well.

I forget whether you also have to have the MRX 710 set to "THROUGH" when passing 4K or 3D video through it. Check the Manual.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #18664 of 18685 Old 10-20-2014, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi, guys. I am new to the forum. I am an owner of OPPO BDP 103 EU. Recently I bought Iron Maiden's album Dance of death on dvd-audio. When I play the dvd in my laptop it says there are three audio streams: dts, dd and stereo. When I play it in the oppo I can only choose between 5.1 surround and stereo. When I choose the 5.1 stream I can see on the display of my AVR Denon 4520 multi channel in. There is no dts or dd option (Inspite of that the sound is awesome). Why is that? Anything else on the disc plays fine.
Kalin
P.s. Sorry for my poor English
post #18665 of 18685 Old 10-20-2014, 12:53 PM

Hi, guys. I am new to the forum. I am an owner of OPPO BDP 103 EU. Recently I bought Iron Maiden's album Dance of death on dvd-audio. When I play the dvd in my laptop it says there are three audio streams: dts, dd and stereo. When I play it in the oppo I can only choose between 5.1 surround and stereo. When I choose the 5.1 stream I can see on the display of my AVR Denon 4520 multi channel in. There is no dts or dd option (Inspite of that the sound is awesome). Why is that? Anything else on the disc plays fine.
Kalin
post #18666 of 18685 Old 10-20-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctuary View Post
Kalin
Your laptop is only able to play the DVD-Video content on the disc. The Oppo is playing the DVD-Audio content, which typically has only high-red stereo and high-res 5.1 audio. The Oppo outputs LPCM from DVD-A discs.
post #18667 of 18685 Old 10-20-2014, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctuary View Post
Kalin
Your English is pretty darn good. Don't worry about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Your laptop is only able to play the DVD-Video content on the disc. The Oppo is playing the DVD-Audio content, which typically has only high-red stereo and high-res 5.1 audio. The Oppo outputs LPCM from DVD-A discs.
rdGrimes is dead right - but just to expand on this a bit with some background that will make his answer easier to understand...

DTS and DD both provide a way to cram a 5.1 soundtrack into the space available on a DVD-Video that is carrying the video for a movie around on it. The video for a movie takes up a lot of space on a DVD, and there is only a little bit of room left of the audio. They are part of the DVD-Video spec, and when you do surround sound on a normal DVD-Video, it is usually encoded using one or the other of these codecs. These codecs represent a trade-off between space and quality. The designers did a great job, and the quality still is pretty darn high...but if you don't NEED to make the trade-off...

The catch is that when you have no video (are at least very little of it), you have plenty of space to include all 6 channels of surround without having to "cram" anything. You can place all 6 channels on the disc with no compression and very little processing ... and that is the difference between your experience of playing on the PC (which is playing the "dvd-video" part of the disc - and hence the DTS/DD for surround) vs. on the Oppo (which is basically playing the DVD-Audio part of the disc, and hence does not NEED DTS/DD for surround).

You should note that there are later generations of DTS and Dolby, mostly for blu-ray, that take advantage of the space available and result in much-less of a trade-off between source quality and space.

Display: Panasonic P60UT50 (Plasma)
Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-77 AVR (9.2)
Sources: Oppo BDP-103, Roku 3, Cable...

Last edited by LairdWilliams; 10-20-2014 at 01:53 PM.
post #18668 of 18685 Old 10-20-2014, 01:45 PM

Thanks a lot, guys. The oppo is an awesome machine. I love it.
post #18669 of 18685 Old 10-20-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LairdWilliams View Post
The catch is that when you have no video (are at least very little of it), you have plenty of space to include all 6 channels of surround without having to "cram" anything. You can place all 6 channels on the disc with no compression and very little processing .
Not quite accurate. DVD-A uses MLP compression, which is the only thing that allows 5.1 lossless audio at DVD bit rates. Its similar to Dolby THD audio. Lossless, but very definitely compressed.
post #18670 of 18685 Old 10-21-2014, 05:34 AM

Liked: 12
I am looking into a new BD player. I am stuck between the 103 and 105. My question is: I see the 103 can down nix the analog to stereo, but the 105 has dedicated stereo analog outputs. Are the dedicated outputs worth the extra $500. I would be feeding it into a Yamaha A2000 AVR, with Monitor Radius 90's and a Velodyne sub 5.1 setup.
post #18671 of 18685 Old 10-21-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 148
^ Is there a reason why you would even use analog audio instead of hdmi?
Unless you need the analog output for a specific reason, or the async usb and headphone amp,
then there's really no reason not to just get the 103 or 103D.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #18672 of 18685 Old 10-21-2014, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 View Post
Thanks so much for doing all this work. It really helps people like me. So my question is not being familiar with the Netflix interface (coming from the 83) is it supposed to look like the picture I'm posting. Just wanted to check since it's so much different from the Rokus I use on other displays in my home. My first impressions are A+. Watched Dark Shadows on VUDU and it looked stunning. The new Titanic blu-ray is up tonight.
<span huddler_attributes="{&quot;plugin&quot;:&quot;atta chment&quot;,&quot;params&quot;:{&quot;id&quot;:&q uot;64078&quot;,&quot;name&quot;:&quot;netflix.jpg &quot;,&quot;description&quot;:&quot;&quot;,&quot; size&quot;:131,&quot;type&quot;:&quot;jpg&quot;}}" huddler_plugin="attachment">
<a
class="attachment loginreq" href="/attachments/64078" title=""><span class="file jpg">netflix.jpg <span class="details">131k .jpg file</span></span>
</a></span> Thanks again.
One thing I can't seem to find on the OPPO 103D is the wifi/ethernet adapter available speed. My computer's adapter only allows speeds of 100 mbps. Is that also true for the OPPO.

The reason I ask is that Cox has download speed packages of 20, 50, 100 and 150 mbps. I currently pay for the 150 mbps but will go to a cheaper speed package if the OPPO is throttled to 100 by wire. WIFI is always slower than wire correct?

Thanks
post #18673 of 18685 Old 10-21-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post
I am looking into a new BD player. I am stuck between the 103 and 105. My question is: I see the 103 can down nix the analog to stereo, but the 105 has dedicated stereo analog outputs. Are the dedicated outputs worth the extra $500. I would be feeding it into a Yamaha A2000 AVR, with Monitor Radius 90's and a Velodyne sub 5.1 setup.

There's a $700 difference between the 105 and the 103. Here's a knowledge base from Oppo showing you the differences between both players. The dedicated analog outputs and higher fidelity DAC's aren't the only differences between the two players.

https://www.oppodigital.com/Knowledg...prodID=BDP-105

If you had asked this question in the 105 thread, you would have received a unanimous "yes" as to whether the 105 is worth the extra cash. It all depends on how highly you value your audio fidelity, and what you want your AVR to achieve. If your AVR has its own DAC's and digital audio processing and you intend to use them, then it would be a waste of money to feed a 105's analog outputs to it, since the high fidelity analog feed from the 105 will be eliminated once your AVR converts the analog signal to a digital signal for audio processing, then back to analog via its own DAC's. It's your choice though. You can simply bypass all your digital audio processing in your AVR and feed the pure analog signal from the 105 to your amp stage. Only then, would the 105 be worth the extra $$$ over the 103. HDMI-wise, both players will output the same.

Last edited by DanF8500; 10-21-2014 at 07:36 AM.
post #18674 of 18685 Old 10-21-2014, 07:47 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Wind_Wound,

Wifi is almost always slower than wired ethernet. (Something would have to be screwed up in your ethernet setup for it to be slower.) That said, the higher speeds are primarily important for file transfers between storage devices, not for streaming. If you have a strong signal between the OPPO Wifi adapter and the base station, and if your Internet service is also fast enough, you can easily top out the Network Speed Test in VUDU for example. That's for their 1080p HDX streams, and they only bother to measure up to 9Mbps for those! Netflix is saying a reliable 50Mbps Internet service should be plenty even for their upcoming 4K streams -- which are actually spec'ed WELL below that for data rate, but everyone knows the touted speeds for Internet service are often, umm, optimistic compared to what you really get.

You may still want faster Internet service for OTHER stuff you do on the Internet.

Typically the problem with Wifi is not that the speed is too slow to begin with, but that it is subject to transient interference from other radio devices or from things like microwave ovens. The networking will resend damaged packets in such case, but the throughput is impacted -- i.e., it goes slower.

To give you a point of comparison, the data rate for reading a movie off a Blu-ray disc is typically around 30Mbps.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #18675 of 18685 Old 10-21-2014, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_Wound View Post
One thing I can't seem to find on the OPPO 103D is the wifi/ethernet adapter available speed. My computer's adapter only allows speeds of 100 mbps. Is that also true for the OPPO.

The reason I ask is that Cox has download speed packages of 20, 50, 100 and 150 mbps. I currently pay for the 150 mbps but will go to a cheaper speed package if the OPPO is throttled to 100 by wire. WIFI is always slower than wire correct?

Thanks
If your computer's ethernet is limited to 100BaseT, why are you even paying for a 150 Mbps internet service from Cox? Speeds over 100 Mbps are reserved for gigabit (1000 BaseT) ethernet hardware.
post #18676 of 18685 Old 10-21-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
If your computer's ethernet is limited to 100BaseT, why are you even paying for a 150 Mbps internet service from Cox? Speeds over 100 Mbps are reserved for gigabit (1000 BaseT) ethernet hardware.
More than one 100Mbit device being used at once would a pretty good reason.
gsr and wadeh911 like this.

Speakers: (4) Monitor Audio Silver 9i (Front and Surround), (1) Monitor Audio Silver 12i (Center), (4) Monitor Audio Silver 4i (Rear and Wide), (2) Aperion Audio Bravus II 8d (Subwoofers)
post #18677 of 18685 Old 10-21-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Wind_Wound,

Wifi is almost always slower than wired ethernet. (Something would have to be screwed up in your ethernet setup for it to be slower.) That said, the higher speeds are primarily important for file transfers between storage devices, not for streaming. If you have a strong signal between the OPPO Wifi adapter and the base station, and if your Internet service is also fast enough, you can easily top out the Network Speed Test in VUDU for example. That's for their 1080p HDX streams, and they only bother to measure up to 9Mbps for those! Netflix is saying a reliable 50Mbps Internet service should be plenty even for their upcoming 4K streams -- which are actually spec'ed WELL below that for data rate, but everyone knows the touted speeds for Internet service are often, umm, optimistic compared to what you really get.

You may still want faster Internet service for OTHER stuff you do on the Internet.

Typically the problem with Wifi is not that the speed is too slow to begin with, but that it is subject to transient interference from other radio devices or from things like microwave ovens. The networking will resend damaged packets in such case, but the throughput is impacted -- i.e., it goes slower.

To give you a point of comparison, the data rate for reading a movie off a Blu-ray disc is typically around 30Mbps.
--Bob
Beyond the "slow down" problem, the packet latency caused by interference is the real problem. You can have an average data rate (which is was data rates are, averages) that is plenty fast enough to theoretically support fantastic streaming. But that does not prevent a few 500ms "hiccups" caused by interference from running you out of dejitter buffer and taking you back to that dratted "buffering" display, interrupting your movie. It is the semi-chaotic nature of packet arrival that makes wireless so problematic in many places - not the effective throughput.

In cases where wireless congestion is moderate or worse, a 100Mbit (not gigabit, 0.1 gigabit) switched wired connection will have much less variation in packet arrival timing that even a much-higher-speed (even factoring in congestion) 802.11 "dual band" super B/G/N/AC wireless connection. Where congestion is low, however, most of the packet arrival variance will smooth out and it will work great.

802.11 networks use the same collision detection and random-wait-based recovery algorithms that old unswitched wired networks used to use - with the same consequences. (once upon a time, I wrote 802.11 MAC layer code)

Last edited by LairdWilliams; 10-21-2014 at 09:54 AM.
post #18678 of 18685 Old 10-21-2014, 11:50 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
There's a $700 difference between the 105 and the 103. Here's a knowledge base from Oppo showing you the differences between both players. The dedicated analog outputs and higher fidelity DAC's aren't the only differences between the two players.

https://www.oppodigital.com/Knowledg...prodID=BDP-105

If you had asked this question in the 105 thread, you would have received a unanimous "yes" as to whether the 105 is worth the extra cash. It all depends on how highly you value your audio fidelity, and what you want your AVR to achieve. If your AVR has its own DAC's and digital audio processing and you intend to use them, then it would be a waste of money to feed a 105's analog outputs to it, since the high fidelity analog feed from the 105 will be eliminated once your AVR converts the analog signal to a digital signal for audio processing, then back to analog via its own DAC's. It's your choice though. You can simply bypass all your digital audio processing in your AVR and feed the pure analog signal from the 105 to your amp stage. Only then, would the 105 be worth the extra $$$ over the 103. HDMI-wise, both players will output the same.
I anticipated the 105 thread doing exactly as you said, ("If you had asked this question in the 105 thread, you would have received a unanimous "yes" as to whether the 105 is worth the extra cash.") that is why I posted here. I believe the 103 should be just right since it's main duty will be movie playback of BDs. I still have my 1980's analog system driving my Bose 901's where I will probably do most of my CD listening anyway. My problem is that on zone 2 (back yard) and 3 of the Yamaha, it will not pass a digital signal from HDMI. Can I use the FL and FR analog outputs from the 103 to get analog sound to zone 2? I can control the Yamaha from an app and obviously not the 1980s system. Neither is close to the deck from their locations.
post #18679 of 18685 Old 10-21-2014, 11:55 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post
I anticipated the 105 thread doing exactly as you said, ("If you had asked this question in the 105 thread, you would have received a unanimous "yes" as to whether the 105 is worth the extra cash.") that is why I posted here. I believe the 103 should be just right since it's main duty will be movie playback of BDs. I still have my 1980's analog system driving my Bose 901's where I will probably do most of my CD listening anyway. My problem is that on zone 2 (back yard) and 3 of the Yamaha, it will not pass a digital signal from HDMI. Can I use the FL and FR analog outputs from the 103 to get analog sound to zone 2? I can control the Yamaha from an app and obviously not the 1980s system. Neither is close to the deck from their locations.
Not to jump on the knocking Bose bandwagon, but given your system description, I don't see any point in spending the extra cash on the 105. Yes, you can configure the 103 so the FL and FR analog outputs will be a 2 channel downmix of what is currently playing.
post #18680 of 18685 Old 10-21-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Beyond the "slow down" problem, the packet latency caused by interference is the real problem. You can have an average data rate (which is was data rates are, averages) that is plenty fast enough to theoretically support fantastic streaming. But that does not prevent a few 500ms "hiccups" caused by interference from running you out of dejitter buffer and taking you back to that dratted "buffering" display, interrupting your movie. It is the semi-chaotic nature of packet arrival that makes wireless so problematic in many places - not the effective throughput.

In cases where wireless congestion is moderate or worse, a 100Mbit (not gigabit, 0.1 gigabit) switched wired connection will have much less variation in packet arrival timing that even a much-higher-speed (even factoring in congestion) 802.11 "dual band" super B/G/N/AC wireless connection. Where congestion is low, however, most of the packet arrival variance will smooth out and it will work great.

802.11 networks use the same collision detection and random-wait-based recovery algorithms that old unswitched wired networks used to use - with the same consequences. (once upon a time, I wrote 802.11 MAC layer code)
Thank you for your help! I purchased the 150 mbps from Cox because movies were buffering on VUDU and I am believing that the OPPO can use the 150 mbps signal. A Cox tech replaced my modem last Monday which includes a built in wifi. The wifi performance is still weak (20 to 30 mbps) but when attached to a wire my computer test scores 80 to 90.

I will be testing movie streams from VUDU tomorrow. I'll have the OPPO on a wire. I hope the dreaded buffer crap is behind me now.
post #18681 of 18685 Old 10-21-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Thank you for your help! I purchased the 150 mbps from Cox because movies were buffering on VUDU and I am believing that the OPPO can use the 150 mbps signal.

I will be testing movie streams from VUDU tomorrow. I'll have the OPPO on a wire. I hope the dreaded buffer crap is behind me now.
If that was your only reason for increasing your internet bandwidth to 150 Mbps, then you made a mistake in upgrading your service. As Bob mentioned, you don't need a 150 Mbps internet connection to stream VUDU HDX 1080p movies without interruption, and the Oppo players are not capable of exceeding 100BaseT ethernet rates. It's not necessary for these players to require gigabit ethernet hardware. Your rebuffering of VUDU movies could be a multitude of factors, as Laird and Bob explained to you with regards to WiFi connections. It may also be the VUDU server at the hours you're watching these movies (high traffic times). There must have been a reason the Cox tech replaced your router, so that may solve all your problems, but as I mentioned in my opening, increasing your internet bandwidth from 100 Mbps to 150 Mbps will not solve what you hoped it would solve. If a Cox Rep convinced you that all your problems would go away if you upgraded your internet speed, then you got played.
Daffietje likes this.

Last edited by DanF8500; 10-21-2014 at 10:27 PM.
post #18682 of 18685 Old Yesterday, 07:03 AM

Quote:
If that was your only reason for increasing your internet bandwidth to 150 Mbps, then you made a mistake in upgrading your service. As Bob mentioned, you don't need a 150 Mbps internet connection to stream VUDU HDX 1080p movies without interruption, and the Oppo players are not capable of exceeding 100BaseT ethernet rates. It's not necessary for these players to require gigabit ethernet hardware. Your rebuffering of VUDU movies could be a multitude of factors, as Laird and Bob explained to you with regards to WiFi connections. It may also be the VUDU server at the hours you're watching these movies (high traffic times). There must have been a reason the Cox tech replaced your router, so that may solve all your problems, but as I mentioned in my opening, increasing your internet bandwidth from 100 Mbps to 150 Mbps will not solve what you hoped it would solve. If a Cox Rep convinced you that all your problems would go away if you upgraded your internet speed, then you got played.
Wow, I've for a long time just assumed everyone into Home Theater was buying the fastest internet service they could afford!

Now I'm left with the decision to either cut back to the 100 mbps package or the 50. I'll save more money with the 50 but it goes against the grain of all my unlearnd assumptions for bandwidth.

Not even 4K streams need the 150 mbps, now that fact is the real shocker to me.

Thanks to you all!
post #18683 of 18685 Old Yesterday, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Wow, I've for a long time just assumed everyone into Home Theater was buying the fastest internet service they could afford!

Now I'm left with the decision to either cut back to the 100 mbps package or the 50. I'll save more money with the 50 but it goes against the grain of all my unlearnd assumptions for bandwidth.

Thanks to you all!
Just be sure to add up how much concurrent usage you have. 50mbps may even be excessive - or it may not if you have several streams, a VPN or two, and some web browsing all going on at the same time. Or of you find yourself doing large file downloads frequently...

Also note that there are many routers whose WAN-to-LAN speed can't even keep up with a 150Mb connection ;-).
I am talking about routers that have 1gbps links everywhere and for which a reading of the specs would make you think that they would be fine. The problem is that many use brain-damaged processing that can't keep up with copying data arriving from the WAN link over to the LAN side of things. So the router itself (not the network interfaces) becomes a chokepoint. This problem used to be more widespread than it is now - but I still run into it sometimes with some folks.

Net: If you do decide to keep a 150mbps connection, be sure that your router's WAN-to-LAN speed is sufficient to take advantage of it. You can take a look here: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwa...er-charts/view

post #18684 of 18685 Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a plain vanilla 5/15 Fios account and streaming works perfectly for me.
post #18685 of 18685 Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Thanks to you all!
Quote:
Just be sure to add up how much concurrent usage you have. 50mbps may even be excessive - or it may not if you have several streams, a VPN or two, and some web browsing all going on at the same time. Or of you find yourself doing large file downloads frequently...

Also note that there are many routers whose WAN-to-LAN speed can't even keep up with a 150Mb connection ;-).
I am talking about routers that have 1gbps links everywhere and for which a reading of the specs would make you think that they would be fine. The problem is that many use brain-damaged processing that can't keep up with copying data arriving from the WAN link over to the LAN side of things. So the router itself (not the network interfaces) becomes a chokepoint. This problem used to be more widespread than it is now - but I still run into it sometimes with some folks.

Net: If you do decide to keep a 150mbps connection, be sure that your router's WAN-to-LAN speed is sufficient to take advantage of it. You can take a look here: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwa...er-charts/view

Just remember that the 150Mbps is PEAK bandwidth. You will not get that all the time.

The additional bandwidth also helps if you have a lot of devices on your network.

One of the biggest upgrades for me is my 802.11ac/1750 router. Buffering and glitching issues stopped after I got one. Right now I'm limited to 20Mbps.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page