Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 625 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 523Likes

post #18721 of 21729 Old 10-26-2014, 10:36 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Anyone with the beta firmware notice it didn't download the newest firmware?
pbarach likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18722 of 21729 Old 10-26-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

Yes, same here. But it doesn't matter because Oppo says the newest public firmware release is the same as the last beta release.
boe likes this.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910

Last edited by pbarach; 10-26-2014 at 10:45 AM.
post #18723 of 21729 Old 10-26-2014, 10:42 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Yes, same here. But it doesn't matter because Oppo says the newst public firmware release is the same as the last beta release.
Good to know! I think this is the first time I tried a beta from Oppo and wasn't sure if this was SOP.
post #18724 of 21729 Old 10-26-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Good to know! I think this is the first time I tried a beta from Oppo and wasn't sure if this was SOP.
Not always--more commonly, there are further fixes in a beta before it's available as the latest public download. And no worries--if you have problems with a beta, you can download and install the then-current public release.

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910

Last edited by pbarach; 10-26-2014 at 11:01 AM.
post #18725 of 21729 Old 10-26-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Same here. Can't update to the official version via network. The 103 recognizes 77-0827B as being the latest firmware. Although I thought there was a previous occasion of a Beta becoming the Official without change, it looks like this is the first time that the Official is exactly the same version number as the Beta (minus the "B" of course).
post #18726 of 21729 Old 10-26-2014, 09:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
Same here. Can't update to the official version via network. The 103 recognizes 77-0827B as being the latest firmware. Although I thought there was a previous occasion of a Beta becoming the Official without change, it looks like this is the first time that the Official is exactly the same version number as the Beta (minus the "B" of course).
You can use the down load procedures and instructions to switch to the official firmware version. It's my understanding that Beta versions are not changed via the Internet option.
post #18727 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
You can use the down load procedures and instructions to switch to the official firmware version. It's my understanding that Beta versions are not changed via the Internet option.
You can, but you don't need to. As Oppo posted on its website, "This Official release is the same as the previous Public Beta release BDP10X-77-0827B."

post #18728 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 09:27 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Question on DAC

Hello,

Please tell me if I'm wrong on this. I believe my Oppo 103 has DAC and so does my Denon AVP. If I'm just using HDMI out, the AVP does all the audio so it doesn't matter if I have a nice DAC on my Oppo or am I completely off on this. It's OK if I am, I just want to know.
post #18729 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When setting Noise reduction to +2 to defeat the film grain that is so evident in most Bluray movies, I find that the BDP-93 does a much better job than the BDP-103. I thought the QDEO chips in the two players would function the same way in this regard, but apparently not. Does someone have an explanation?

Also, howcome film grain is so apparent in Bluray movies and completely abscent in the DVD versions of the same movies? I mean, it can't be a matter of "the higher resoultion reveals the grain more clearly" because it's COMPLETELY abscent in most DVD-movies... In some Bluray versions it's so bad I even prefer to watch a high-quality DVD-version because I find it so disturbing. I wonder how bad 4K movies will be in this regard?
post #18730 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread

Quote:
Hello,

Please tell me if I'm wrong on this. I believe my Oppo 103 has DAC and so does my Denon AVP. If I'm just using HDMI out, the AVP does all the audio so it doesn't matter if I have a nice DAC on my Oppo or am I completely off on this. It's OK if I am, I just want to know.

The only time you will utilize the 103's DAC is when you use the 103's analog outputs. The 103 DAC however is always being used internally to convert digital to analog audio.
boe and quad4.0 like this.

Last edited by DanF8500; 10-27-2014 at 10:43 AM.
post #18731 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 10:39 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Thanks for verifying. I appreciate it!
post #18732 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallepaf View Post
Also, howcome film grain is so apparent in Bluray movies and completely abscent in the DVD versions of the same movies?
Have you used a calibration disk to set the sharpness on your TV to zero artificial sharpening? It could be that the level of sharpening on your TV is such that it only accentuates fine details, making the grain pop out, which wouldn't be present when the DVD is pre-scaled to 1080p before being sent to the TV.
post #18733 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the next week or so I'm permanently moving to a new (well, to me anyway) condo with my first-ever dedicated home theater room. Waiting there is a new Samsung PN64F8500, with which I'll be using a 103 and Anthem AVM50.

I plan to cable one HDMI directly to the display for 3D viewing only, (the Anthem can't pass 3D), and the other to the Anthem (and then to the F8500) so when watching non-3D content I will have the Anthem's OSD.

My question is, which HDMI-out on the 103 should I use for which scenario? I'm thinking that since most of my viewing (probably 90% or more) will be non-3D (and, in fact much of my content is on DVD, not BD) I should use HDMI-1 to the Anthem in order to take advantage of the 103's video processing. Does that make sense?

I realize the answer might be "try it both ways and see which you like", but wanted to solicit opinions here for quick-start, as due to moving and all that entails I'm sure it will be at least a few weeks before I can tweak everything. I also don't know if one of the 103's HDMI ports is more 3D-friendly (although the manual doesn't seem to indicate that).

Thanks,

- Mark

P.S. I notice Post 1 shows the latest FW as "Beta" rather than "Official".
post #18734 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 11:49 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileboy View Post
I plan to cable one HDMI directly to the display for 3D viewing only, (the Anthem can't pass 3D), and the other to the Anthem (and then to the F8500) so when watching non-3D content I will have the Anthem's OSD.

My question is, which HDMI-out on the 103 should I use for which scenario? I'm thinking that since most of my viewing (probably 90% or more) will be non-3D (and, in fact much of my content is on DVD, not BD) I should use HDMI-1 to the Anthem in order to take advantage of the 103's video processing. Does that make sense?

I realize the answer might be "try it both ways and see which you like", but wanted to solicit opinions here for quick-start, as due to moving and all that entails I'm sure it will be at least a few weeks before I can tweak everything. I also don't know if one of the 103's HDMI ports is more 3D-friendly (although the manual doesn't seem to indicate that).
You'll probably have to go with HDMI1 to the TV and HDMI2 to the Anthem and configure the Oppo for Split A/V (under Setup -> Video Setup -> Dual HDMI Output). If you hook it up the other way around (HDMI1 to the Anthem and HDMI2 to the TV), you'll get either no audio through the Anthem or only 2 channel audio as you'll be limited to what the TV can accept. If you configure the Oppo for Dual Display instead of Split A/V, then you'll also only get 2 channel audio either way you hook it up as you'll be restricted to the best common audio format between the TV and Anthem, which will most likely be 2 channel.

The Marvell QDEO is only available on the Oppo's HDMI1 output, so if you want to use any of the QDEO features (such as video noise reduction), you'll need to switch the TV to the input coming direct from the Oppo.
post #18735 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 12:04 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallepaf View Post
When setting Noise reduction to +2 to defeat the film grain that is so evident in most Bluray movies, I find that the BDP-93 does a much better job than the BDP-103. I thought the QDEO chips in the two players would function the same way in this regard, but apparently not. Does someone have an explanation?

Also, howcome film grain is so apparent in Bluray movies and completely abscent in the DVD versions of the same movies? I mean, it can't be a matter of "the higher resoultion reveals the grain more clearly" because it's COMPLETELY abscent in most DVD-movies... In some Bluray versions it's so bad I even prefer to watch a high-quality DVD-version because I find it so disturbing. I wonder how bad 4K movies will be in this regard?
Film grain is not "noise" and a good noise reduction algorithm should not remove it.

Some discs have movies which have been de-grained digitally. Most people consider such discs to be poor quality. Some SD-DVDs are made this way as well.

If you find real film grain annoying in your good quality Blu-Ray movies, the odds are excellent there is something screwed up in your video setup. Either in the player, the AVR, or the TV. It could be as simple as that you are trying to use the wrong "Picture Mode" in your TV. If you are using something with a name like Dynamic, Vivid, Vibrant, or Scorch Your Eyeballs you should stop using that.

You may want to consider getting a professional in (an ISF Tech) to calibrate your setup. Seriously. People with properly calibrated setups sometimes complain of too LITTLE grain -- those poor quality discs -- but only rarely of too MUCH grain, and that usually only with older movies which had to resort to things like optical zoom when making the prints.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 10-27-2014 at 12:04 PM.
post #18736 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
The Marvell QDEO is only available on the Oppo's HDMI1 output, so if you want to use any of the QDEO features (such as video noise reduction), you'll need to switch the TV to the input coming direct from the Oppo.
Well, that's my point - since for most of my viewing I want to use the QDEO, I'd prefer to run it through the Anthem so I have the OSD.

It sounds like you're saying, though, that the audio format is limited by the capabilities of the device connected to HDMI-2, but not HDMI-1 - is that accurate?
post #18737 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 01:07 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
In the next week or so I'm permanently moving to a new (well, to me anyway) condo with my first-ever dedicated home theater room. Waiting there is a new Samsung PN64F8500, with which I'll be using a 103 and Anthem AVM50.

Thanks,

- Mark

P.S. I notice Post 1 shows the latest FW as "Beta" rather than "Official".
In a dual cabling setup, HDMI 1 from the OPPO must be used for video, meaning HDMI 2 must be used for audio. That's with Split A/V set so that you don't have any compromises on what's used for the video and the audio format. The reason is, Audio is muted on HDMI 1 when Split A/V is set and both HDMI outputs are "live".

Since the Anthem can't pass 3D video to your 3D display, you have two choices:

1) Use HDMI 2 for both audio and video (through the Anthem) when not viewing 3D. This will work *IF* your Display shuts down the non-used input which is cabled from HDMI 1 when you switch it to listen instead to the HDMI feed from the Anthem. It will also work even if the Display keeps that first input "live" when it is not selected, so long as the video format you are using works for both the Display and the Anthem -- which should be the case for everything except 3D video. The downside is you lose the processing options of the QDEO chip on the HDMI 1 signal path. However, you may not actually intend to USE any of those.

2) Use HDMI 1 for both audio and video (through the Anthem) when not viewing 3D. This would require an HDMI switch in the signal path to send HDMI 1 either to the Display directly or to an input of the Anthem. There are remote controllable switches that might work for this. For 3D viewing you would continue to use HDMI 1 direct to the Display and HDMI 2 to the Anthem for audio. For non-3D viewing you would flip the HDMI switch and send HDMI 1 to the Anthem for both audio and video. On the Anthem you would need to change its input to listen to that HDMI 1 cable instead of the HDMI 2 cable. On the Display you would need to switch its input to listen on the cable from the Anthem instead of on the HDMI 1 cable from the OPPO.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #18738 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
You can, but you don't need to. As Oppo posted on its website, "This Official release is the same as the previous Public Beta release BDP10X-77-0827B."
If someone ever wants to use the direct Internet firmware update feature for an Official Release version, then at some point they will have to use one of the download update methods to switch from beta to the official firmware.

Also, OPPO has been known to include changes in the Official Release firmware and not announce it. In any case it's a user choice.

Last edited by htwaits; 10-27-2014 at 01:55 PM.
post #18739 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
In a dual cabling setup, HDMI 1 from the OPPO must be used for video, meaning HDMI 2 must be used for audio. That's with Split A/V set so that you don't have any compromises on what's used for the video and the audio format. The reason is, Audio is muted on HDMI 1 when Split A/V is set and both HDMI outputs are "live".
I think I'm confused because the manual says:

Quote:
  • The two HDMI outputs (HDMI 1 OUT and HDMI 2 OUT) available on the rear panel of BDP-103 can
    be connected to two TVs at the same time, and each output can deliver both digital video and audio
    signals.
  • We recommend that you connect your main TV (the one with larger screen size or the one that you
    would watch more often) to HDMI 1 OUT in order to benefit from the dedicated video processor, and
    set the Dual HDMI option in the Setup Menu to Dual Display to make sure that the HDMI 2 OUT can
    also send out audio and video signals.
which seems to imply that in "Dual" mode, it sends both audio and video over both outputs, so I was thinking since the audio will always be disabled on the display, I could just set up one of the Anthem "sources" to send the video (from HDMI-1) and set another source to use the same connector but not send the video anywhere, because I would switch to a different HDMI input on the display that is connected to HDMI-2 on the Oppo.

Obviously I'm missing something.
post #18740 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 02:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I think I'm confused because the manual says:

which seems to imply that in "Dual" mode, it sends both audio and video over both outputs, so I was thinking since the audio will always be disabled on the display, I could just set up one of the Anthem "sources" to send the video (from HDMI-1) and set another source to use the same connector but not send the video anywhere, because I would switch to a different HDMI input on the display that is connected to HDMI-2 on the Oppo.

Obviously I'm missing something.
Yes the Dual Display choice will make whatever compromise is necessary to make sure audio and video gets output on BOTH HDMI outputs. The problem is, you get limited to the lesser of what each device will accept.

It doesn't matter that you are not actually USING audio on your 3D TV. What matters is what it says it will accept during the HDMI handshake it makes with the OPPO. And odds are it won't accept things like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA or LPCM 5.1 96KHz or LPCM 7.1 Which means the HDMI 2 output won't be able to send those to the Anthem. Typically, but not always, a TV will only accept Stereo LPCM. Some will also accept lossy DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1. But that's about it. So since HDMI 1 can't ship out anything fancier than that, then neither can HDMI 2.

That's what the Split A/V mode is for. It *MUTES* the audio on HDMI 1 when both outputs are "live". Thus no audio handshake has to happen on HDMI 1. Similarly, HDMI 2 gets a "safe" video format when both outputs are live -- a video format capable of carrying the highest bit-rate audio formats, but one that AVRs are pretty much guaranteed to accept. That's how 3D works for example. 3D video goes out on HDMI 1 but HDMI 2 sends a simpler video format to the AVR -- along with the best quality audio.

When only ONE of the two outputs is "live", the Split A/V vs. Dual Display setting is ignored and the "live" output -- whichever it is -- negotiates for the best possible video AND audio to the next device in the chain.

--------------------------------------------------

By the way, did you really mean that you will be using an original AVM 50? Or do you have the newer AVM 50v? The AVM 50v is more flexible in what you can send it for audio.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 10-27-2014 at 02:26 PM.
post #18741 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 02:31 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Film grain is not "noise" and a good noise reduction algorithm should not remove it.

Some discs have movies which have been de-grained digitally. Most people consider such discs to be poor quality. Some SD-DVDs are made this way as well.

If you find real film grain annoying in your good quality Blu-Ray movies, the odds are excellent there is something screwed up in your video setup. Either in the player, the AVR, or the TV. It could be as simple as that you are trying to use the wrong "Picture Mode" in your TV. If you are using something with a name like Dynamic, Vivid, Vibrant, or Scorch Your Eyeballs you should stop using that.

--Bob
Man of Steel was so grainy it was almost unwatchable but most movies the film is not so heavy. I love it when they don't have any grain like TV shows; I wish directors would stop using grainy film.

Last edited by boe; 10-27-2014 at 02:38 PM.
post #18742 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 02:36 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ You'll have to argue that with Directors who don't want to make films that look like Soap Operas.
--Bob
ToadB likes this.

post #18743 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 02:44 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^ You'll have to argue that with Directors who don't want to make films that look like Soap Operas.
--Bob

Have you watched 3 Days to Kill? Not a fantastic movie but surprisingly good for a rental. I didn't feel it was at all soap-opera like but very crisp looking.
post #18744 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Chacun à son grain
--Bob

post #18745 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 03:12 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Maybe but I wish the cochon would stop choosing grain.
post #18746 of 21729 Old 10-27-2014, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi,

I own a BDP-83 and am looking at a 103 for an upgrade. It will be fitted with the multi-region mod like my current player.

Some queries I have....

1. Is the video in the 103 noticeably better? I display on a 2.35m wide screen.

2. I use a Popcornhour A400 for music and digital movies (progressively dumping my BR discs onto my NAS). I like the 'coverflow'/'jukebox' approach where I can see cover art etc and choose what I want to watch either on-screen or via the NMJ app for the A400.
Is something like this available for the BDP-103? I think it's video processing will be better than the A400 and am curious as to wether I am going to be stuck with a limited interface.

3. If I use gracenote are the results persistent or does it have to access the net each time and look stuff up? Not sure how this would work for me .

Thanks!
post #18747 of 21729 Old 10-28-2014, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I also hate grain in bluray movies, Superman Man of Steel is a good example, way to grany, we spend thousands of dollars on our tvs, projectors, bluray players etc., to get the best picture possible, and then some lunatic director decides that grain is the way to go, its not even real because in real life you dont see any grain at all, thats why I really love the picture I get from the HDMI 1 output of my oppo103eu, it is absolutely fantastic reducing the grain, I can now enjoy the latest Superman movie.
post #18748 of 21729 Old 10-28-2014, 12:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeogeoG View Post
I also hate grain in bluray movies, Superman Man of Steel is a good example, way to grany, we spend thousands of dollars on our tvs, projectors, bluray players etc., to get the best picture possible, and then some lunatic director decides that grain is the way to go, its not even real because in real life you dont see any grain at all, thats why I really love the picture I get from the HDMI 1 output of my oppo103eu, it is absolutely fantastic reducing the grain, I can now enjoy the latest Superman movie.
The best picture (most accurate) is the one the director intended. Anything else means that the viewer wants something else.

There aren't many directors who haven't grown up with film. Film grain is just one dimension that can be used to create the desired effect that the director uses to tell his story.

Of course most "soaps" are made with a cookie cutter approach. Your OPPO's settings seem to be giving you what you want. Enjoy.
post #18749 of 21729 Old 10-28-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Man of Steel was so grainy it was almost unwatchable but most movies the film is not so heavy. I love it when they don't have any grain like TV shows; I wish directors would stop using grainy film.
The best example of how a film should look in my opinion is Avatar - completely grain free and still the sharpest picture...
boe and nethien like this.
post #18750 of 21729 Old 10-28-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
So the reason the BDP-103 doesn't remove film grain as efficiently as the BDP-93 actually is that the BDP-103 has a better noise reduction algorithm than the BDP-93?

Is there a setting that actually is intended to remove film grain? I just assumed it was Noise reduction since the BDP-93 does it so well when setting Noise reduction to +2...

I guess for those who really hate film grain the BDP-93 turns out to be better than BDP-103 - but probably unintentionally from Oppo's side considering what you're saying...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page