post #18751 of 18768 Old 10-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 916
^ Chacun à son grain
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18752 of 18768 Old 10-27-2014, 03:12 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Maybe but I wish the cochon would stop choosing grain.
post #18753 of 18768 Old 10-27-2014, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I own a BDP-83 and am looking at a 103 for an upgrade. It will be fitted with the multi-region mod like my current player.

Some queries I have....

1. Is the video in the 103 noticeably better? I display on a 2.35m wide screen.

2. I use a Popcornhour A400 for music and digital movies (progressively dumping my BR discs onto my NAS). I like the 'coverflow'/'jukebox' approach where I can see cover art etc and choose what I want to watch either on-screen or via the NMJ app for the A400.
Is something like this available for the BDP-103? I think it's video processing will be better than the A400 and am curious as to wether I am going to be stuck with a limited interface.

3. If I use gracenote are the results persistent or does it have to access the net each time and look stuff up? Not sure how this would work for me .

Thanks!
post #18754 of 18768 Old 10-28-2014, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I also hate grain in bluray movies, Superman Man of Steel is a good example, way to grany, we spend thousands of dollars on our tvs, projectors, bluray players etc., to get the best picture possible, and then some lunatic director decides that grain is the way to go, its not even real because in real life you dont see any grain at all, thats why I really love the picture I get from the HDMI 1 output of my oppo103eu, it is absolutely fantastic reducing the grain, I can now enjoy the latest Superman movie.
post #18755 of 18768 Old 10-28-2014, 12:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeogeoG View Post
I also hate grain in bluray movies, Superman Man of Steel is a good example, way to grany, we spend thousands of dollars on our tvs, projectors, bluray players etc., to get the best picture possible, and then some lunatic director decides that grain is the way to go, its not even real because in real life you dont see any grain at all, thats why I really love the picture I get from the HDMI 1 output of my oppo103eu, it is absolutely fantastic reducing the grain, I can now enjoy the latest Superman movie.
The best picture (most accurate) is the one the director intended. Anything else means that the viewer wants something else.

There aren't many directors who haven't grown up with film. Film grain is just one dimension that can be used to create the desired effect that the director uses to tell his story.

Of course most "soaps" are made with a cookie cutter approach. Your OPPO's settings seem to be giving you what you want. Enjoy.
post #18756 of 18768 Old 10-28-2014, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Man of Steel was so grainy it was almost unwatchable but most movies the film is not so heavy. I love it when they don't have any grain like TV shows; I wish directors would stop using grainy film.
The best example of how a film should look in my opinion is Avatar - completely grain free and still the sharpest picture...
boe and nethien like this.
post #18757 of 18768 Old 10-28-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Film grain is not "noise" and a good noise reduction algorithm should not remove it.
So the reason the BDP-103 doesn't remove film grain as efficiently as the BDP-93 actually is that the BDP-103 has a better noise reduction algorithm than the BDP-93?

Is there a setting that actually is intended to remove film grain? I just assumed it was Noise reduction since the BDP-93 does it so well when setting Noise reduction to +2...

I guess for those who really hate film grain the BDP-93 turns out to be better than BDP-103 - but probably unintentionally from Oppo's side considering what you're saying...
post #18758 of 18768 Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Yes the Dual Display choice will make whatever compromise is necessary to make sure audio and video gets output on BOTH HDMI outputs. The problem is, you get limited to the lesser of what each device will accept.

It doesn't matter that you are not actually USING audio on your 3D TV. What matters is what it says it will accept during the HDMI handshake it makes with the OPPO. And odds are it won't accept things like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA or LPCM 5.1 96KHz or LPCM 7.1
Ok, I understand now, that makes sense and is what @gsr was originally trying to explain.

Quote:
Which means the HDMI 2 output won't be able to send those to the Anthem. Typically, but not always, a TV will only accept Stereo LPCM. Some will also accept lossy DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1. But that's about it.
The audio specs for the F8500 are pretty impressive, so I'm not sure. The manual says it will accept LPCM (but doesn't say "up to <x>KHz") and DD+ (which I realize is different than the HD codecs) but doesn't get into the nitty-gritty. But, I am sending 5.1 LPCM to the Anthem anyway from my 103, so maybe I will just try it and see how it behaves.

Quote:
By the way, did you really mean that you will be using an original AVM 50?
Ouch! Yes, really, it's an original AVM 50. Factory ARC though! One upgrade at a time!

Thanks Bob,

- Mark
post #18759 of 18768 Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ For HDMI audio output to your original AVM 50, in the OPPO set HDMI Audio LPCM, SACD Output PCM, HDCD Decoding ON and Dynamic Range Compression OFF. The OPPO will automatically do the down-mix of 7.1 tracks to 5.1 for HDMI audio -- part of the HDMI handshake.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #18760 of 18768 Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallepaf View Post
So the reason the BDP-103 doesn't remove film grain as efficiently as the BDP-93 actually is that the BDP-103 has a better noise reduction algorithm than the BDP-93?

Is there a setting that actually is intended to remove film grain? I just assumed it was Noise reduction since the BDP-93 does it so well when setting Noise reduction to +2...

I guess for those who really hate film grain the BDP-93 turns out to be better than BDP-103 - but probably unintentionally from Oppo's side considering what you're saying...
You could try reducing Sharpness. The Sharpness control in the 103 actually implements a mix of detail control algorithms that kick in at different levels according to the setting +/- either side of 0. You could also try reducing Resolution to 720p.

But really the FIRST thing to do is to make sure your display is properly calibrated to begin with. You may very well have it set to some combination of detail "enhancement" settings which should not be enabled.

The factory default settings for almost all displays are incorrect for best quality viewing. It is normal to find sharpness and detail enhancement set too high in displays. Incorrect Picture Mode settings in displays can also trigger such "enhancement" processing in the background -- in ways that can not be countered by adjusting the user visible controls. The Picture Mode you should be using will likely have a name like Movies or Cinema. If you can't find it that way, the correct Picture Mode is most likely to be the one that produces the SOFTEST and DARKEST looking picture. Set that Picture Mode and then re-calibrate the video level settings in the display starting from there. Keep in mind that such settings are typically remembered per-input on modern displays. So if you are using more than one input into your display you will need to do this for each one.
--Bob

post #18761 of 18768 Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM

^ I just tried a mode on my TV called Theatre where all extra processing seems to be turned off, and the film grain was definitely less noticable but not as subtle as with +2 Noise reduction on the BDP-93 using my original TV settings. I really disliked what the Theatre mode did to the overall picture quality so - even though I realise it's not the purist's way - I'm staying with my original TV settings and +2 Noise reduction on the Oppo. Thanks for your advice, though!
post #18762 of 18768 Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
The best picture (most accurate) is the one the director intended. Anything else means that the viewer wants something else.

There aren't many directors who haven't grown up with film. Film grain is just one dimension that can be used to create the desired effect that the director uses to tell his story.

Of course most "soaps" are made with a cookie cutter approach. Your OPPO's settings seem to be giving you what you want. Enjoy.
Well all soaps are all shot on video and most movies are still shot on film.

There is never grain in video, noise certainly, but not grain.

The appearance of film grain is a function of the film stock used, how it was processed and the director's taste.

Video noise can look like film grain, take a look at the latest Crossroads bluray, loaded with noise in many scenes.

Could pass for 16mm noise.

They may have fixed it by now,I await replacement disks.

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

"All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."

post #18763 of 18768 Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM

Thinking of buying Darbee 5100,connecting it from my oppo 103 to the f8500.
Any idea if it will enhance picture quality or I won't see much difference.
post #18764 of 18768 Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM

post #18765 of 18768 Old Today, 03:37 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddmania View Post
Most people report a positive effect. It is subtle when used properly, so if you are expecting some sort of "night and day" difference, you may be disappointed.

You might try the Darblet thread for this sort of question, although the users of the 103D/105D are getting the same effect as 103 + Darblet.

-Bill
post #18766 of 18768 Old Today, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Most people report a positive effect. It is subtle when used properly, so if you are expecting some sort of "night and day" difference, you may be disappointed.

You might try the Darblet thread for this sort of question, although the users of the 103D/105D are getting the same effect as 103 + Darblet.

-Bill
I was one of those disappointed because I didn't notice much of a difference at all. I returned it because I didn't think it was worth the cost of the Darblet alone. If I were to get a new Oppo, I may think of getting the one built into the Oppo because it's not that much more.

lujan
697 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #18767 of 18768 Old Today, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
BDP-103 and Asus RT-N66U

Hello,

I am having issues playing blu-ray movies from my NAS (Synology DS413J) on my BDP-103 since I upgraded my router (from a Linksys wrt54gl to a Asus RT-N66U - running the latest stock firmware). Both my NAS and the Oppo are hard wired into the router. When I attempt to play a movie, the audio cuts in and out and the video slows down and jumps around. When I swap out my new router with my old router, I am able to watch the same movie just fine. I am wondering if this is caused by the fact that my new router is gigabit and the Oppo is 10/100 and it isn't negotiating properly. My old router is 10/100. The new router is set to Auto-Negotiate, Gigabit, Full Speed and Full Duplex. Has anyone else experienced this issue using a gigabit router and the BDP-103? Does this seem like a plausible cause for the issue I am having (I am at work so I can't test turning off Auto-Negotiate on the port that my Oppo is plugged into)?

Thank you in advance,

BD6675
post #18768 of 18768 Old Today, 06:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd6675 View Post
Hello,

I am having issues playing blu-ray movies from my NAS (Synology DS413J) on my BDP-103 since I upgraded my router (from a Linksys wrt54gl to a Asus RT-N66U - running the latest stock firmware). Both my NAS and the Oppo are hard wired into the router. When I attempt to play a movie, the audio cuts in and out and the video slows down and jumps around. When I swap out my new router with my old router, I am able to watch the same movie just fine. I am wondering if this is caused by the fact that my new router is gigabit and the Oppo is 10/100 and it isn't negotiating properly. My old router is 10/100. The new router is set to Auto-Negotiate, Gigabit, Full Speed and Full Duplex. Has anyone else experienced this issue using a gigabit router and the BDP-103? Does this seem like a plausible cause for the issue I am having (I am at work so I can't test turning off Auto-Negotiate on the port that my Oppo is plugged into)?

Thank you in advance,

BD6675
Poor performance in wired Ethernet when you add a Gigabit device is usually due to not having Flow Control enabled in the relevant devices.

What happens is that the Gigabit hardware overruns the slower hardware causing resends. No data gets lost but throughput suffers.

If you use a Wifi connection, Flow Control is enforced automatically, so a typical symptom indicating this problem is when a Wifi connection works better than a wired Ethernet connection.
--Bob

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page