post #18781 of 18787 Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd6675 View Post
Good point. The only non gigabit device I have plugged into my router is the Oppo so I am wondering if I am not seeing any other symptoms on my network due to that.
Possible, but not likely, since most people have diverse networks, so there should have been a lot of complaining with this router.

I have two Oppos on my network, a 100 Mbit Vizio TV circa 2010 (great FALD screen), a couple of laptops (one old one) and a wireless printer serviced by the RT66U. All perform pretty well (my girlfriend's computer ran speedtest at 122 Mbit /s ), so the router itself is doing well.

You say you have the Oppo with a static address, have you changed the router to let it give it a static address? Both sides need to know this is happening. So you may need to log into the router and enable manual IP assignment and assign an address using the MAC address.

Otherwise you may be getting address clashes when the router tries to assign the IP address you've already designated. I use DHCP reserved addresses, but you may need to use a static address that the DHCP server is not using.

I thought you may not have since you said you just plugged in and ran with it.

Last edited by hernanu; Yesterday at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18782 of 18787 Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
You say you have the Oppo with a static address, have you changed the router to let it give it a static address? Both sides need to know this is happening. So you may need to log into the router and enable manual IP assignment and assign an address using the MAC address.
This is not quite right. A static address is set solely on the device and does not go through DHCP. What you are referring to is a pre-assigned dynamic address, which is set in the router and assigned via DHCP.

OBTW, I also have the RT-N66U and have no issues. There is probably a setting somewhere you need to tweak, but it's impossible to tell from here what it is. For example, make sure Jumbo Frames is disabled on the LAN > Switch Control page.
post #18783 of 18787 Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 921
If you set a static (manual) IP address in the OPPO you need to make sure it is not within the range of addresses the router is told it can give out to other devices when they make DHCP requests. Otherwise you risk the router assigning the same address to some other device, too. Which causes problems.

There are two common ways to do this:

Either tell the router to associate a specific IP address with the MAC hardware address of the OPPO (in which case even a DHCP request from the OPPO will return that), or find the range of IP addresses the router is allowed to give out and pick one outside that. Typically there will be a setting in the DHCP part of the router which says it can give out addresses with the same prefix but differing in the final value within a range.

So if the router is allowed to use 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.100 for DHCP assignments then you can safely pick 192.168.1.150 for the manual setting in the OPPO and know the router itself will not also hand out that address to some other device.
--Bob
post #18784 of 18787 Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
This is not quite right. A static address is set solely on the device and does not go through DHCP. What you are referring to is a pre-assigned dynamic address, which is set in the router and assigned via DHCP.

OBTW, I also have the RT-N66U and have no issues. There is probably a setting somewhere you need to tweak, but it's impossible to tell from here what it is. For example, make sure Jumbo Frames is disabled on the LAN > Switch Control page.
Maybe not phrased quite right. I prefer to use reserved DHCP addresses if I'm going to want a stable address. It ensures that address won't change, but lets the DHCP server know it's reserved.

But you are right - not the same thing as static IP addresses. The problem with one sided assignment is that typically you have a DHCP server that is busily assigning addresses and may create a conflict if it clashes with a used and expected static IP address.
post #18785 of 18787 Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anybody tell me if you can power a roku 3500 stick off the rear usb ports?
The only information i seem to be able to find refers to the old 3400 which must go into the front mhl hdmi input.
i want to put the 3500 into one of the rear inputs and power it off the usb so i don't have to plug it into an electrical socket.
post #18786 of 18787 Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfsdad1965 View Post
Can anybody tell me if you can power a roku 3500 stick off the rear usb ports?
The only information i seem to be able to find refers to the old 3400 which must go into the front mhl hdmi input.
i want to put the 3500 into one of the rear inputs and power it off the usb so i don't have to plug it into an electrical socket.
AFAIK, this has been working for others.
post #18787 of 18787 Old Today, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd6675 View Post
Hello,

I am having issues playing blu-ray movies from my NAS (Synology DS413J) on my BDP-103 since I upgraded my router (from a Linksys wrt54gl to a Asus RT-N66U - running the latest stock firmware). Both my NAS and the Oppo are hard wired into the router. When I attempt to play a movie, the audio cuts in and out and the video slows down and jumps around. When I swap out my new router with my old router, I am able to watch the same movie just fine. I am wondering if this is caused by the fact that my new router is gigabit and the Oppo is 10/100 and it isn't negotiating properly. My old router is 10/100. The new router is set to Auto-Negotiate, Gigabit, Full Speed and Full Duplex. Has anyone else experienced this issue using a gigabit router and the BDP-103? Does this seem like a plausible cause for the issue I am having (I am at work so I can't test turning off Auto-Negotiate on the port that my Oppo is plugged into)?

Thank you in advance,

BD6675
Hi,

Try using ASUS RT-N66U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.376.1071.
I've noticed some strange behaviour with version 3.0.0.4.376.2524.

Regards
Pawel
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page