Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 637 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 520Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #19081 of 21670 Old 12-03-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Oppo's response concerning Netflix issues

I emailed Oppo tech support yesterday about the problems I (and some others here) have had with the Oppo Netflix app saying that items aren't available (but finding them immediately playable on a Roku), and about my problem with repeatedly having to re-enter Netflix login info. I got back a generic response from someone who hadn't carefully read my email (e.g., telling me to change the wireless dongle when I had told them the Oppo had a wired connection). I've implemented the changes, and I will wait a few days to see if they work, since the problem was intermittent:

Try power cycling your modem and router by removing their power cables for 5 minutes. Reconnect their power cables then try the player again another 5 minutes later.

Try upgrading the firmware on your router, as sometimes networking errors are due to out of date firmware.

Try using the USB extension cable that came with the player and move the WiFi dongle to a location where the reception is higher.

If issues persist, then please try setting your IP Configuration (Network Setup) from AUTO (DHCP) to MANUAL. Change your DNS 1 to 008.008.008.008 then press ENTER. You will see DNS 1 change to 8.8.8.8. Highlight OK at the bottom of the screen then press ENTER.

Exit the Setup Menu and turn off the player. Turn the player back on and try the network streaming services again.

If Netflix still fails to load properly, then go into Device Setup then Netflix ESN. Select De-Activate Netflix. Exit the Setup Menu then load Netflix again and see if it now works properly.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19082 of 21670 Old 12-03-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dmusoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 2,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Why did I received an Oppo email notice today for May 19,2014 firmware?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
dmusoke is offline  
post #19083 of 21670 Old 12-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Member
 
ravneet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys, just placed an order for a refurb 103. Excited to be finally moving on from watching blurays on PS3....just curious how much quality difference video and audio can I expect??
Also my setup right now is:

Apple TV+Roku+PS3 --> Yamaha RX Z7(receiver) --> BenQ 1070 (projector)

To get the best Oppo quality I am assuming I would be running

HDMI 1 from oppo OUT directly to projector (BenQ 1070, input HDMI 1) for video and

for audio, the second HDMI 2 (Oppo) out to Yamaha receiver then to BenQ projector (input HDMI 2).....dont know where would my apple tv or roku would fit in the mix...really confused

Any input appreciated....cant wait to get my hands on the player

ravneet is offline  
post #19084 of 21670 Old 12-03-2014, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravneet View Post
dont know where would my apple tv or roku would fit in the mix...really confused

Any input appreciated....cant wait to get my hands on the player

You can plug the Apple TV or the Roku into one of the Oppo's HDMI inputs and play it through the Oppo to either projector.
ravneet likes this.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is offline  
post #19085 of 21670 Old 12-03-2014, 07:44 PM
Senior Member
 
bgoering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 397
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravneet View Post
Hey Guys, just placed an order for a refurb 103. Excited to be finally moving on from watching blurays on PS3....just curious how much quality difference video and audio can I expect??
Also my setup right now is:

Apple TV+Roku+PS3 --> Yamaha RX Z7(receiver) --> BenQ 1070 (projector)

To get the best Oppo quality I am assuming I would be running

HDMI 1 from oppo OUT directly to projector (BenQ 1070, input HDMI 1) for video and

for audio, the second HDMI 2 (Oppo) out to Yamaha receiver then to BenQ projector (input HDMI 2).....dont know where would my apple tv or roku would fit in the mix...really confused

Any input appreciated....cant wait to get my hands on the player

You can run one of them (AppleTV or Roku) through the HDMI in on the Oppo if you want to take advantage of video processing in the Oppo vs. your AVR. Or you can run all 3 into the AVR if you have enough inputs. Just select HDMI 1 on the projector to watch Oppo and any source connected through Oppo, and HDMI 2 for any source only run through the AVR.
Only disadvantage is you won't see the AVR overlays for volume, mode, etc. if the AVR isn't doing any of the video processing.
For my setup I just run everything (so far) through my Dennon, Oppo HDMI 1 -> 4520CI -> JVC RS-57. This will change as I have a Lumagen 2041 to add to the chain somewhere...
Good Luck, Bill
ravneet likes this.
bgoering is offline  
post #19086 of 21670 Old 12-03-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,743
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Oppo's response concerning Netflix issues

I emailed Oppo tech support yesterday about the problems I (and some others here) have had with the Oppo Netflix app saying that items aren't available (but finding them immediately playable on a Roku), and about my problem with repeatedly having to re-enter Netflix login info. I got back a generic response from someone who hadn't carefully read my email (e.g., telling me to change the wireless dongle when I had told them the Oppo had a wired connection). I've implemented the changes, and I will wait a few days to see if they work, since the problem was intermittent:
It is not that they did not read your email, but rather that they are simply giving a list of things to try that can often cure the problems that you are describing. It just so happens that the list of troubleshooting techniques happens to also include ideas for wireless setups as well.

As I have done in the past, I would also suggest here try this as well.
I would try resetting the player to factory default settings and then reflashing the latest firmware revision,
then rest to factory default again, being sure to also erase the Netflix settings too.
Power down and unplug all wired and wireless devices in the residence, and then also disconnect the modem/router
in order to reset the system. (if there is a battery backup on the system be sure to disconnect that as well so that the
router/modem down fully power off and then on again for a full reset)
After that, power the network system back on again being sure to wait long enough for the system to fully initialize.
Then, power on the player and see how Netflix now works, hopefully in better form.
Some of this may or may not help, but I have had others say that it did help them.

One other thing to include is to possibly clear out the cache of you router before resetting it.
This would have to be done over the internet against you IP address, but instruction will vary based on what specific hardware you use.
See your router/modem manual, or Google snoop for details on how to get that done.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #19087 of 21670 Old 12-03-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,743
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Why did I received an Oppo email notice today for May 19,2014 firmware?
This is probably some kind of error with your ISP or email client.
I have had this happen before... not from Oppo, but from other various places where an email was delayed by days,
weeks, or even months. Kind of like the equivalent of the post office delivering a lot letter that fell between the seats of the mail truck.
Don't ask me how an email can be in limbo for that long, as I surely don't know, but it does happen.
It is also possible that Oppo's server made some kind of error too of course. Sh!t happens...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #19088 of 21670 Old 12-03-2014, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,743
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravneet View Post
Hey Guys, just placed an order for a refurb 103. Excited to be finally moving on from watching blurays on PS3....just curious how much quality difference video and audio can I expect??
Also my setup right now is:

Apple TV+Roku+PS3 --> Yamaha RX Z7(receiver) --> BenQ 1070 (projector)

To get the best Oppo quality I am assuming I would be running

HDMI 1 from oppo OUT directly to projector (BenQ 1070, input HDMI 1) for video and

for audio, the second HDMI 2 (Oppo) out to Yamaha receiver then to BenQ projector (input HDMI 2).....dont know where would my apple tv or roku would fit in the mix...really confused

Any input appreciated....cant wait to get my hands on the player

You really do not need to run separate hdmi outputs to both the avr and the pj unless there is a shortcoming of the avr
where something may not pass though, like 3D for example.
I would also advise plugging the AppleTV and Roku into the hdmi inputs of the player,
then HDMI-1 output from the player to the avr, then from the avr send the video via hdmi to the pj.
ravneet likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #19089 of 21670 Old 12-04-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JazzGuyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Oro Valley AZ
Posts: 2,883
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Why did I received an Oppo email notice today for May 19,2014 firmware?
Are you sure it wasn't for the new firmware for the 83 to fix the problems with playing some recent movies? That's the one I got yesterday.

JazzGuyy is offline  
post #19090 of 21670 Old 12-04-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 23,623
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5122 Post(s)
Liked: 3715
Hi - new user of 103 here. Can someone with experience of this unit please advise if this quote from the user manual is correct, and if Source Direct is used, all video processing in the Oppo is indeed bypassed? I have been told that any adjustments made are bypassed but the Qdeo chip itself is not, unlike what the manual states. Many thanks.

kbarnes701 is offline  
post #19091 of 21670 Old 12-04-2014, 08:20 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,181
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 400
^ The key point here is the DNR in the QDEO that can't be disabled. As rdgrimes and I both said in the BDP-93 thread, that DNR is still in effect in Source Direct mode. I'm sure others, such as Bob P. will confirm this.
kbarnes701 likes this.
gsr is offline  
post #19092 of 21670 Old 12-04-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 23,623
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5122 Post(s)
Liked: 3715
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
^ The key point here is the DNR in the QDEO that can't be disabled. As rdgrimes and I both said in the BDP-93 thread, that DNR is still in effect in Source Direct mode. I'm sure others, such as Bob P. will confirm this.
I am not disagreeing with you. Just seeking clarification - while the DNR may not be able to be disabled, if the chip is bypassed, then it won't be an issue. The question is - is the chip bypassed as Oppo seem to be saying?
kbarnes701 is offline  
post #19093 of 21670 Old 12-04-2014, 08:29 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
The minimal amount of DNR on the HDMI 1 output of the 103 and 105 which some people find a problem can not be disabled. It is present even when using Source Direct.

The HDMI 2 output of the 103/105 does not have this.

Neither output of the 103D/105D has this.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #19094 of 21670 Old 12-04-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 23,623
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5122 Post(s)
Liked: 3715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The minimal amount of DNR on the HDMI 1 output of the 103 and 105 which some people find a problem can not be disabled. It is present even when using Source Direct.

The HDMI 2 output of the 103/105 does not have this.

Neither output of the 103D/105D has this.
--Bob
Thanks Bob. Misleading info in the user manual then. I will have to wait for the 103 to arrive and see if the unbypassable DNR bothers me or not.

Are there any drawbacks to using HDMI2 out? If that bypasses the issue then there's no problem at all for me, unless the use of HDMI2 brings a new set of issues of course. I guess nobody ever said all this HT malarkey would be easy (or cheap!)
kbarnes701 is offline  
post #19095 of 21670 Old 12-04-2014, 08:52 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,181
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Are there any drawbacks to using HDMI2 out? If that bypasses the issue then there's no problem at all for me, unless the use of HDMI2 brings a new set of issues of course. I guess nobody ever said all this HT malarkey would be easy (or cheap!)
HDMI2 simply doesn't have the QDEO chip in the chain at all, so no QDEO functionality is available on HDMI2. Whether that's a drawback or a positive is up to you. HDMI2 can also pass DSD along to your AVR, while HDMI1 can't.
kbarnes701 likes this.
gsr is offline  
post #19096 of 21670 Old 12-04-2014, 08:57 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Thanks Bob. Misleading info in the user manual then. I will have to wait for the 103 to arrive and see if the unbypassable DNR bothers me or not.

Are there any drawbacks to using HDMI2 out? If that bypasses the issue then there's no problem at all for me, unless the use of HDMI2 brings a new set of issues of course. I guess nobody ever said all this HT malarkey would be easy (or cheap!)
HDMI 2 does not allow up-scaled 4K output. It also means you can't use any of the QDEO picture adjustments, or the Zoom modes.

Other than that, and particularly if your intent was to use Source Direct output, then I don't believe you lose anything with HDMI 2. Note that you will need to use a single cable arrangement -- HDMI 2 for both Video and Audio. I.e., you can't "reverse" the dual cable arrangement and run HDMI 2 to your Display along with HDMI 1 to your AVR for audio.

Keep in mind that OPPO has an easy, 30-day return policy if you want to switch to the 103D.
--Bob
kbarnes701 likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #19097 of 21670 Old 12-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
AlexanderDelarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Omaha
Posts: 849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Persik View Post
I have an oppo bdp-83 and it will not play any ****ing disc at all. Hunk of ****.
Tell us how you really feel......

Epson Pro Cinema 6030 | OPPO BDP - 103 | Pioneer Elite VSX 70 | Definitive Technology PM 1000 (L/R) | PC 2000 (C) | SR8040BP's (7.1) | Rythmik LV12R | Carada Criterion Brilliant White 118" | URC MX 780 & MRF 350 | ATS Acoustic Panels | Sanus AV Rack | DirecTv | Roku 2 | Monoprice 12AWG |
AlexanderDelarg is offline  
post #19098 of 21670 Old 12-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Persik View Post
I have an oppo bdp-83 and it will not play any ****ing disc at all. Hunk of ****.
Have you gotten in touch with OPPO Tech Support? They offer reasonably priced, flat rate service for players out of warranty. With quick turnaround, too.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #19099 of 21670 Old 12-04-2014, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Notts, UK
Posts: 2,151
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Oh, and the Oppo still reports such .mkv files as having 'MLP' audio not Dolby TrueHD audio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
If you play it back through SMB, it shows TrueHD, but if you use a DLNA server like mezzmo or plex it will show as MLP.
Okay, I've just tried playing some TrueHD in .mkv files via SMB and the Oppo still reports them having 'MLP' audio not Dolby TrueHD audio.

By contrast, when TrueHD audio is placed within the .m2ts container, the Oppo reports it correctly via UPnP and SMB


Cheers

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #19100 of 21670 Old 12-04-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dmusoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 2,610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Are you sure it wasn't for the new firmware for the 83 to fix the problems with playing some recent movies? That's the one I got yesterday.
Nope....first received notice for the 103/105 then the 83/83SE later on.

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
dmusoke is offline  
post #19101 of 21670 Old 12-04-2014, 09:32 AM
boe
AVS Special Member
 
boe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,973
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Okay, I've just tried playing some TrueHD in .mkv files via SMB and the Oppo still reports them having 'MLP' audio not Dolby TrueHD audio.

By contrast, when TrueHD audio is placed within the .m2ts container, the Oppo reports it correctly via UPnP and SMB


Cheers
Interesting - I wonder if it depends on what version of Windows for SMB - Win 8.x has a slightly different version of SMB than 7. I'm on 8.1 and I get TrueHD.


Unfortunately on what may or may not be related to having to switch audio tracks. I noticed with LPCM recorded MKV files, even if I switch from LPCM to DD on the oppo (selecting the second track dd) I still get no sound. With LPCM the only way is either to convert it to flac or just not include that audio track and just copy the DD track. That is with both SMB and DLNA playback.
boe is offline  
post #19102 of 21670 Old 12-04-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Notts, UK
Posts: 2,151
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post
Interesting - I wonder if it depends on what version of Windows for SMB - Win 8.x has a slightly different version of SMB than 7. I'm on 8.1 and I get TrueHD.
All my media files are stored on a Synology NAS. I've no idea what type of SMB server it uses!

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #19103 of 21670 Old 12-04-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
It is not that they did not read your email, but rather that they are simply giving a list of things to try that can often cure the problems that you are describing. It just so happens that the list of troubleshooting techniques happens to also include ideas for wireless setups as well.

As I have done in the past, I would also suggest here try this as well.
I would try resetting the player to factory default settings and then reflashing the latest firmware revision,
then rest to factory default again, being sure to also erase the Netflix settings too.
Power down and unplug all wired and wireless devices in the residence, and then also disconnect the modem/router
in order to reset the system. (if there is a battery backup on the system be sure to disconnect that as well so that the
router/modem down fully power off and then on again for a full reset)
After that, power the network system back on again being sure to wait long enough for the system to fully initialize.
Then, power on the player and see how Netflix now works, hopefully in better form.
Some of this may or may not help, but I have had others say that it did help them.

One other thing to include is to possibly clear out the cache of you router before resetting it.
This would have to be done over the internet against you IP address, but instruction will vary based on what specific hardware you use.
See your router/modem manual, or Google snoop for details on how to get that done.
Well, of course, I have no direct evidence that they didn't read the email, but sending me the word-for-word message they have sent me for other problems, and including irrelevant tips pertaining to a wireless connection, makes it not hard to infer that they just sent a para of boilerplate without any effort to think through my specific problem. If their suggestions work, then my claim that they didn't read my email is a moot point.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is offline  
post #19104 of 21670 Old 12-04-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,610
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Well, of course, I have no direct evidence that they didn't read the email, but sending me the word-for-word message they have sent me for other problems, and including irrelevant tips pertaining to a wireless connection, makes it not hard to infer that they just sent a para of boilerplate without any effort to think through my specific problem. If their suggestions work, then my claim that they didn't read my email is a moot point.
Forgive me if this is someone else, but weren't you the person who myself and a few very respectable Oppo gurus tried to help some months back on a wireless issue you were having with your Oppo? I remember a few of us suggested for you to run a wired ethernet connection to rule out other wireless faults in your system, and you replied that running a wired connection to your Oppo player wasn't an option for you because you didn't want to have ethernet cables running from room to room, or something of that nature...Was this you, and if so, what has changed for you to be using a wired ethernet connection now to your Oppo?
DanF8500 is online now  
post #19105 of 21670 Old 12-04-2014, 03:28 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 8,181
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Well, of course, I have no direct evidence that they didn't read the email, but sending me the word-for-word message they have sent me for other problems, and including irrelevant tips pertaining to a wireless connection, makes it not hard to infer that they just sent a para of boilerplate without any effort to think through my specific problem. If their suggestions work, then my claim that they didn't read my email is a moot point.
Given the volume of questions they probably receive about Netflix issues, it's reasonable, IMHO, for them to have a boilerplate response for Netflix issues rather than typing a personalized response every time. It saves them time, makes for a consistent set of steps to follow, and answers the question that was asked, even if it includes a few steps that may be irrelevant for some users. With some manufacturers, you wouldn't get a response at all or might have to wait some number of weeks to get one. What's the big deal?
Smarty-pants likes this.
gsr is offline  
post #19106 of 21670 Old 12-04-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
Forgive me if this is someone else, but weren't you the person who myself and a few very respectable Oppo gurus tried to help some months back on a wireless issue you were having with your Oppo? I remember a few of us suggested for you to run a wired ethernet connection to rule out other wireless faults in your system, and you replied that running a wired connection to your Oppo player wasn't an option for you because you didn't want to have ethernet cables running from room to room, or something of that nature...Was this you, and if so, what has changed for you to be using a wired ethernet connection now to your Oppo?

No, that's me--what I wasn't willing to do was run a massively long cable from my PC (which is on WiFi) to the Oppo in the next room(i.e., snaking it through a hallway or drilling holes). The Oppo is right next to my AT&T U-verse router, and it's always had a wired connection to the internet. The problem I was having was accessing music files from the PC using a DNLA server (Asset uPnP or oShare). I gave up on DLNA and went with SMB--this seems to have eliminated the problem 99% of the time...

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is offline  
post #19107 of 21670 Old 12-04-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,787
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Given the volume of questions they probably receive about Netflix issues, it's reasonable, IMHO, for them to have a boilerplate response for Netflix issues rather than typing a personalized response every time. It saves them time, makes for a consistent set of steps to follow, and answers the question that was asked, even if it includes a few steps that may be irrelevant for some users. With some manufacturers, you wouldn't get a response at all or might have to wait some number of weeks to get one. What's the big deal?

No big deal, only that somehow you concluded that they did read my message carefully when I have reason to doubt that. BTW except for the couple of lines at the end of their response specifically related to Netflix, the rest of the message is boilerplate, as I said, that I have gotten from them about other problems, including a few issues unrelated to internet sources. I'm ready to move on...

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is offline  
post #19108 of 21670 Old 12-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
brendelac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Convince me to buy an Oppo

After a few recent upgrades that have left me under-impressed, I am skeptical to jump onto the oppo bandwagon, especially with no way to try before I buy.

My setup is a Denon AVR4311, Energy Veritas 2.x 5-channel speakers, Emotiva XPA-5, PS3 and Yamaha CDC-765 CD carousel. The carousel is from the late 90s, but was a good unit for it's time as I recall. CD playback is the weakpoint of my system. It's still good, but sounds as though the quality is dialed back somewhat when compared to bluray and PVR. Is that just the nature of the difference between formats or is the Yamaha an obsolete piece of equipment that will be crushed by the oppo?

Last edited by brendelac; 12-05-2014 at 10:57 AM.
brendelac is online now  
post #19109 of 21670 Old 12-05-2014, 11:16 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 28,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
If you buy direct from the OPPO Digital web site, they offer an easy, 30-day return policy. All you risk is the shipping cost.

That way you can judge for yourself.

The User Manual for each player is also available for download (PDF File) from OPPO's Support page for each player.

And if you go to the Owner's Thread here for the model you are interested in, you can not only ask specific questions, but find a link to the FAQ (top of the first post).

In the end, only you can know what's important to you in new gear, and how you'll react to the combo of features in any player.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #19110 of 21670 Old 12-05-2014, 11:19 AM
Member
 
cmoanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendelac View Post
After a few recent upgrades that have left me under-impressed, I am skeptical to jump onto the oppo bandwagon, especially with no way to try before I buy.

My setup is a Denon AVR4311, Energy Veritas 2.x 5-channel speakers, Emotiva XPA-5, PS3 and Yamaha CDC-765 CD carousel. The carousel is from the late 90s, but was a good unit for it's time as I recall. CD playback is the weakpoint of my system. It's still good, but sounds as though the quality is dialed back somewhat when compared to bluray and PVR. Is that just the nature of the difference between formats or is the Yamaha an obsolete piece of equipment that will be crushed by the oppo?
Given the HDMI 2.0 and HDPC 2.2 standard are recently announced and the new UHD BluRay Spec is emerging, I for one would not invest in a BluRay Player until you understand that impact.

I'm not convinced that OPPO is your best choice for CD only playback.

J
cmoanz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off