Official OPPO BDP-103 Owner's Thread - Page 64 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1891 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well it also does not work through the net. Clearly not normal. It's not my job to be inconvenienced. I spent $500 to not deal with as many issues as subpar players do. The exchange is coming regardless. Again my 83 never once had this problem. It's abnormal.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If I connect a hard disk to a 103 via USB, can this drive be made available as a share over my home network? This would enable me to have my storage on the 103 but be able to update the contents from my PC over Wifi.
post #1893 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by envirogeek View Post

Brian-HD,
You may want to try SMBUp.
I have used this successfully to re-enable Samba on my MacBook Pro under Mountain Lion, rather than using Apple's newer SMB implementation.

This would also work for 10.6 as well, correct? the 103 doesn't recognize the login credential for my smb shared folder under snow leopard.
post #1894 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 09:41 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semp1 View Post

Just a curious question. I posted this in the wrong thread. I just got the 103 and had a few problems with it. I have already called and an exchange is coming. But just wondering is it normal for the firmware update to have constant errors and not update with USB or the Internet no matter what. The connection is fine and I never had this problem with the 83. Along with that none of the services like Netflix or Vudu connect. And lastly the screen saver flickers as it moves. Is this all normal? It all seems very off and the player seems defective. So I exchanged. New one should be here in 2 days.

Besides these internet connectivity problems, are you having any other hardware issues? Just wanted to hear how you determined the player was defective. And this may be a stupid question, but are you having connectivity issues both via the wireless dongle and through direct ethernet connection?
post #1895 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 09:59 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboileau View Post

If I connect a hard disk to a 103 via USB, can this drive be made available as a share over my home network? This would enable me to have my storage on the 103 but be able to update the contents from my PC over Wifi.

No.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #1896 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks Bill. Hopefully my Cisco router will be able to stream video to the Oppo fast enough through wifi to enable trouble free viewing then. Cross my fingers.
post #1897 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jottle View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

No.
-Bill

And why not Bill?

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
post #1898 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 10:38 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

And why not Bill?

Why a Blu-ray player is not in itself a file server? I don't know, you'd have to ask OPPO. Technically it would be a small matter of programming, but practically the implications would have to be thought out.

Customer: Files are being deleted from my player!

OPPO: Who has access to your network? Could someone in your house be doing this on purpose or is your firewall perhaps inadequately configured?

Customer: Huh? What? Files are being deleted from my player!

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #1899 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:

But just wondering is it normal for the firmware update to have constant errors and not update with USB or the Internet no matter what.

Ensure that you are using a FAT16 or FAT32 formatted thumbdrive and not NTFS, exFAT, or alternative file system.

Ensure that the BIN file is in the base directory of the thumbdrive. You no longer need to put it in a UPG folder.

Ensure that you are using a thumbdrive connected to the player, and not using the WiFi dongle. The WiFi dongle has no storage on it, so if you were selecting Via USB for upgrading, then the player would not do the upgrade process at all.

Try removing the WiFi adapter from the player and connect just the thumbdrive. Do the same errors occur?
Quote:
And lastly the screen saver flickers as it moves. Is this all normal?

Yes. If you are watching a Blu-ray then the screensaver is at the output frequency, with a Blu-ray being 24Hz. 24Hz is a very low frame rate, so you will notice flickering or judder.
Quote:

Well it also does not work through the net

Ensure that your player can actually access the Internet. The Connection Test on the player is really only designed to see if it can connect to your network, not the Internet at large.

If you try to access Netflix, Pandora, VUDU or YouTube, does the player give you an error that it can't connect?

If yes, the it is likely that your router is not allowing the player to talk to your modem, and thereby, the Internet at large.

Go into Network Setup and change IP Setting from Auto (DHCP) to Manual.

Change DNS 1 to 008.008.008.008 then press enter. It should now be 8.8.8.8.

Highlight OK at the bottom of the screen then Enter.

Go into Device Setup and Persistent Storage. Erase the Persistent Storage ensuring that you press "OK" and not the default of "CANCEL".

Exit Setup then turn off the player. Turn the player back on.

Try upgrading the firmware through the network again.
post #1900 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 868
David Vaughn's Review of the BDP-103:

http://www.hometheater.com/content/oppo-bdp-103-blu-ray-3d-player

Awarded: Home Theater Top Picks

Quote:
Summing It Up
As you can probably tell, I really like the BDP-103. Sure, at $499 it’s a lot more expensive than other players I’ve reviewed this year. But let’s look at what the Oppo brings to the table: near-flawless playback of Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, and DVD discs; support for both DVD-Audio and SACD audio formats; home network streaming as well as some of the most popular online streaming offerings; the ability to use the player’s best-in-class video processing for other components in your system via its HDMI inputs; and finally, the best customer service in the business. If that isn’t worth a few extra dollars, then I don’t know what is. Highly recommended.

--Bob
shyguy3763 likes this.

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #1901 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Read the FAQ!

OPPO UK has posted the summary results of Mark Craven's review of the BDP-103EU in Home Cinema Choice magazine

Although that mag has a web site, this particular review does not appear to be available on-line yet. I would expect the full review to post on-line in the next few weeks.

Awarded: Home Cinema Choice Best Buy

Quote:
BDP-103EU November 2012 by Mark Craven, Home Cinema Choice, UK

If I was buying a new Blu-ray player I would find it hard to see beyond the BDP-103EU. It’s AV performance is top notch, the feature set dizzying and, above all, it’s a pleasure to use and built to exacting standards.

--Bob
shyguy3763 likes this.

post #1902 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Just a curious question. I posted this in the wrong thread. I just got the 103 and had a few problems with it. I have already called and an exchange is coming. But just wondering is it normal for the firmware update to have constant errors and not update with USB or the Internet no matter what. The connection is fine and I never had this problem with the 83. Along with that none of the services like Netflix or Vudu connect. And lastly the screen saver flickers as it moves. Is this all normal? It all seems very off and the player seems defective. So I exchanged. New one should be here in 2 days.

Your update problems are certainly not normal. NEUROMANCER has already posted the usual steps for diagnosing this, if you've not already packaged up the player for return.

If anything the 103 is MORE reliable for updates than what you've already experienced with the 83.

Since you already have experience doing this stuff with the 83 the odds are you have a hardware fault in your 103, just as you suspect. (I'm presuming you are using the same USB stick and networking setup that you previously used with the 83 -- if not then obviously whatever is different THERE should be double checked first. Since the 83 doesn't have Wifi, NEUROMANCER's suggestions for checking your new Wifi setup make sense, or just try Ethernet.) There could be a flaw in the USB hardware (which would also affect the Wifi dongle), or in the memory used to cache the firmware update. Anyway, that's what Warranties are for!

Your concern about the backlight on the remote was answered in the other thread. You can switch the backlight between the new way it works (which avoids distraction and extends battery life) and the old way you are used to from the 83.

For the screen saver, temporarily set 1080p/24 OFF to see what happens with 1080p/60 output. If that makes the problem you are seeing go away, then you are just seeing the low update rate of /24 -- i.e., that's normal.
--Bob

post #1903 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Well I called OPPO just for the hell of it. Unpacked my player again. Rehooked it up and after about 30 minutes. Got it working. So I after the update went through from the usb install. Everything works now. Don't know what it was just happy I got it working. Cancelled my replacement. Thank you very one. Appreciate it. Always can rely on you guys.

65VT60+55GT50+Onkyo TX-NR727+Denon AVR-1913+OPPO bdp-103+OPPO bdp-83=Heaven
post #1904 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

--Bob

Thanks for the advertising Bob.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #1905 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OPPO UK has posted the summary results of Mark Craven's review of the BDP-103EU in Home Cinema Choice magazine
Although that mag has a web site, this particular review does not appear to be available on-line yet. I would expect the full review to post on-line in the next few weeks.
Awarded: Home Cinema Choice Best Buy
--Bob

Thanks for the link Bob ...

post #1906 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

You'll need to wait for Audioholics or Secrets to review the player if you want to see objective measurements.
post #1907 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Read the FAQ!

dmusoke,
That UK review is not on-line yet. If you look on their web site right now, all you'll find is the announcement of the player.
--Bob

post #1908 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

--Bob

OMG ... I pointed to the wrong revieweek.gif!!!. I meant my post for David Vaughs review above in Home Theater magazinewink.gif! Nonetheless, thanks for the review Davidsmile.gif!

post #1909 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 05:57 PM

Liked: 11
3D problem here.
I got my 103 today. Unpaccked her and hooked her up. Here is the equipment.

Pioneer Elite SC-09
Oppo BDP-103
Panasonic PT AE-8000

I have the strangest audio problem. I have a great 3D picture but no audio. I am plugged in via HDMI to HDMI 1 direct to the projector. HDMI 2 to the SC-09. I purchased 3 3D movies prior to the arrival of the BDP-103. Promethious, Avitar and I-Robot. All three have no audio when played in the stated configuration. The regular Blue- Rays that are in the same box play with no problem, all in DTS HD Master.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
post #1910 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

This is a known issue with Pioneer and Denon receivers. At this time it seems that Denon receivers (and likely Pioneer receivers as well) are mirroring the EDID of the display to tell the player that Frame Packed 3D is available. This is false for your generation of receiver. So when the player send a frame packed 3D video signal, the receiver can't interpret this so it rejects the signal altogether.

OPPO is working on a fix for Denon receivers where the player can be forced to display 3D from one output only (such as the case with the BDP-9x series of players) but this firmware is not currently available for public use.

In the interim you will want to use multi-channel analog audio for 3D Blu-ray titles until OPPO can get a workaround for these bad HDMI EDID flags in the receiver.
post #1911 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OMG ... I pointed to the wrong review:eek: !!!. I meant my post for David Vaughs review above in Home Theater magazine;) ! Nonetheless, thanks for the review David:) !

No worries!

David Vaughn

post #1912 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

No worries!

Dave... do you plan to add detailed audio measurements to your review of the 103?

post #1913 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 07:23 PM

Liked: 10
What's the verdict on MKVs with DTS-HD MA and Dolby True-HD on DLNA or SMB servers? Do they play properly? This was my biggest disappointment with my 93...

I wish I had more time to enjoy my gear
post #1914 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by isisyodin View Post

What's the verdict on MKVs with DTS-HD MA and Dolby True-HD on DLNA or SMB servers? Do they play properly? This was my biggest disappointment with my 93...
Yes...sort of.

The only thing that does not work fully is True-HD; it will play the "core audio" portion of the True-HD track only. DLNA and SMB are both fine otherwise with MKV, including DTS-MA.
post #1915 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 08:30 PM

Liked: 12
Anybody having any issues playing "The Amazing Spider-Man" 2D disc on their 103?? I've tried it 2 or 3 times and it just freezes after all the trailers/etc .... never gets to the menu. I tried it in my 93 and it went right to the menu like it was supposed to .... don't know if it's just a bad disc or an issue that needs to be reported/investigated.
post #1916 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I just got it in today, Ill check it now and report back.

65" VT50 / BDP-103
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #1917 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I just tried mine. Got going OK after the loading logo, then I skipped thru all the trailers, made it to the menu, started the movie, then skipped thru several chapters. No problem here.

65" VT50 / BDP-103
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #1918 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 09:28 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bct103 View Post

Anybody having any issues playing "The Amazing Spider-Man" 2D disc on their 103?? I've tried it 2 or 3 times and it just freezes after all the trailers/etc .... never gets to the menu. I tried it in my 93 and it went right to the menu like it was supposed to .... don't know if it's just a bad disc or an issue that needs to be reported/investigated.

I just watched it on BDP-83.It arrived today from Netflix.
It is took time to start 1-2 min, but worked great.

Still reading this thread and trying to decide to upgrade or not.
post #1919 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 10:52 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post

Yes...sort of.

The only thing that does not work fully is True-HD; it will play the "core audio" portion of the True-HD track only. DLNA and SMB are both fine otherwise with MKV, including DTS-MA.[/quote]

Last time I tried that I got a warning message and no audio for TrueHD. Is it really working for you, even with only core?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #1920 of 18347 Old 11-09-2012, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dave... do you plan to add detailed audio measurements to your review of the 103?

Sorry...there's no plan to do that. I bet Secrets will do measurements though.

David Vaughn

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc , Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page